Awoo.

City Escape - SA2 vs Generations (Classic) vs Generations (Modern)?

BlueMist

With three versions of City Escape which one do you prefer? SA2 or one of the acts on Generations?

post-5594-0-84495600-1361478631_thumb.jp

Edited by BlueMist

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Diogenes

• MamboCat

• Soniman

• BlueMist

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Classic City Escape beats both, it has some cool gimmicks (stalking truck, skateboard) and some great music, it's just a really fun stage.

As far as Modern vs Original go? Ehh......id say it's about equal, Sonic Generations Modern does have some nice open ares and a really cool snowboard section, but it's a bit on the bland side and the G.U.N truck chase is only cool and exciting for the first time, all the other times it just feels like a chore.

The original is shorter and still isn't all that special, but on the basis of it being a first stage, I find it to be pretty great actually, it does well to get the player excited for more of what's to come.

I'm not really a fan of any of them.

Generations Classic is probably lowest on my list, just because Classic Sonic sucks so much. Sure the truck and skateboard are nice enough gimmicks, but that doesn't mean much when the game isn't fun to play to start with.

Between Generations Modern and original recipe...probably the original. In part because Modern Sonic also sucks, while SA2 still has rolling at least. Generations also adds a 2D section to a level already flanked with gimmicky 3D sections (the boarding and the truck chase), so it ends up not having much straight 3D gameplay. Also they took out the curve.

Personally I love the skateboard; it's so '90s, just like Classic Sonic! :D

As for the level itself, I think my favourite is the original SA2 version.

To counter all of this. We already have a topic lurking the board somewhere man.

Anyways I'd have to go with Modern C.E. only because I fangasm'd while first hearing the remix. I hated the Classic version because I don't care much for Classic hog, and SA2 is nothing to me anymore. 

Generations Classic is probably the most fun, with the GUN truck providing an interesting gameplay element. The original level was pretty fun back in the day, so I'd give it the edge over Generations Modern. Despite all of the potential to improve over the original, the level is mostly boarding, boosting (seriously, they actually increased the GUN truck chase to a stupid 40+ seconds!?) and pace-breaking 2D.

Classic for sure. Just a light-hearted, fun feeling with the skateboard, the Endless Mine music remake and having old-school Sonic, ah.... nice and simple fun.

Modern Generations for me. I like how it offers different route for you to take and how open-ended it can get. Also, the improved board controls are very much appreciated.

Either I guess.

The thing about City Escape in SA2 is that we'd never seen a city level like one in San Francisco where you constantly go down the tight corners and streets. It's also the opening level and it's not a Green Hill like level, which makes it even more memorable, especially when combined with the boarding and the truck gimmicks and the unusual choice of a vocal song. 

However, this doesn't really translate to Generations, where it's slap bang in the middle of the stages. I really enjoy Generations Modern right up to the 2D section which I think sucks, and then the GUN Truck just goes on far too long. Classic's is pretty cool but it's a different beast to the original.

Honestly, even though CIty Escape is THE iconic stage in SA2, I wouldn't have minded a different level, like Pyramid Cave or Crazy Gadget or something like that. City Escape is definitely one of my least favourite levels in Generations - in terms of the Modern levels I'd rather play Planet Wisp over it. I also consider it totally the weakest in terms of the visuals of the main nine levels.

Edited by Semi-colon e

I know City Escape is THE SA2 stage as you said but Green Forest was the stage used in most of the games promotional stuff, that would have been a pretty sweet choice for a stage and fills a different trope.

Personally I prefer the original, something about the Generations versions put me off, I honestly think it's the realistic sunlight ahaha.

I'm going to say modern. The remix in that level wins for best modern track, hands down, and I appreciated that it was a lot longer than the original level. Why is it better than the original? Simple. They finally fixed the physics for that god damn skateboard from SA2!

The original is just awesome, trying to remember off hand what the other two play like and I can't remember them too much whereas I can remember the original perfectly so that's gotta mean something.

I even remember playing this in a toys r us as a kid, never played the first adventure so to me it just felt totally new.