Awoo.

Uncharted 4? Charlies Twitter Teaser Conundrum

Badnik Mechanic

Someone already posted something related to that on the 1st page of the thread, by losing its "magic" they mean it's lost its "wow" factor because you've been accustomed to it for so long, kind of silly really, but I suppose they do have a point, it's subjective, but still.

I'm all in for a 4th installment of the series, the trilogy was amazing and one of the best things I played this generation, I really can't wait for "The Last of Us" either.

People want the same and more simultaneously. They want the sequels to be new and fresh yet have the same mechanics the series is known for. It isn't an easy thing to do.

I mean, it's possible. Look at games like Dead Space 2 and SASRT, which were different from the originals in a wide variety of ways, yet still had the same mechanics from the past. You can't just come out with the same sort of game anymore, it has to up the bar set with the previous title. Look at Mario, sure it sells a ton but people are constantly complaining about it being stale unless something like 3D Land is tried. 

Yet you won't even move an inch on the same criticism raised on 

What the hell? Final Fantasy has been bashed over and over, especially THAT game. XIII has been buried to the ground already so I wouldn't doubt that people just took it off their minds, not caring anymore.

I love how people use Nintendo as an example of milking their franchises. You get what? One and if lucky, two games of the same 'series' in a span of 6 years?

• Thumbs Up 1

When you guys say the game had lost its magic by the third game, what exactly do you mean? The game is not fun anymore? The gameplay changed to worse? The VA, music, graphics are worse? The story become boring? I can't understand, really.

Wow. It's like...you weren't paying attention to this thread. Edited by Merry Ming Shana

Wow. It's like...you weren't paying attention to this thread.

Actually, I did. I can only fit the phrase "it lost its magic" in a nostalgic subject, like when I'm remembering something I've experimented years ago, at my childhood, and today is "not the same". Kinda like Sonic, hum? Of course it lost its "wow" factor for many people, it was something new, it was something fresh (especially because it came out when Tomb Raider was in downfall), and after 3 games, it does become a little more of the same. They could had done something different, yes, but if it was working so well for ND at the time, I don't blame them. Similar or not, they made 3 financially and critically successful games. And, if they still have the potential to do another one, I'd say go ahead.

People want the same and more simultaneously. They want the sequels to be new and fresh yet have the same mechanics the series is known for. It isn't an easy thing to do.

The 3 games are fresh and new in the most meaningful aspect, the story. The mechanics are the same, but improved in each game. The Uncharted games works pretty much like a book series. There will be one main protagonist, that at each book will live a different story, without dramatically changing the main point of the series.

You can't just come out with the same sort of game anymore, it has to up the bar set with the previous title

So please, please, give an example of a new type of game for Uncharted that could work, without losing its magic and the main principles established by the first input.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually, I did. I can only fit the phrase "it lost its magic" in a nostalgic subject, like when I'm remembering something I've experimented years ago, at my childhood, and today is "not the same". Kinda like Sonic, hum? Of course it lost its "wow" factor for many people, it was something new, it was something fresh (especially because it came out when Tomb Raider was in downfall), and after 3 games, it does become a little more of the same. They could had done something different, yes, but if it was working so well for ND at the time, I don't blame them. Similar or not, they made 3 financially and critically successful games. And, if they still have the potential to do another one, I'd say go ahead.

Speaking of Tomb Raider, look what Tomb Raider is doing. A complete reboot that is going to be different compared to the previous trilogy. And you feel it's going to be better. That is what I expect from the developers of Naughty Dog. If Uncharted 4 comes out which is the same as Uncharted 3, it screams "We are playing it safe", which falls in to the category of Call of Duty. No CoD game to date still hasn't topped Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare you know, because the CoD games after that were similar (or worse) than CoD4. And I definitely feel Uncharted is going the same way if ND has an idea of creating another sequel.

I'm not saying Uncharted 4 will be "bad", as you said it will probably get a lot of sales and great reviews. But for someone like me who is getting bored of the same old stuff and playing it safe, unless I LOVE the franchise to bits, I move on. Like I did with CoD and Assassin's Creed.

So please, please, give an example of a new type of game for Uncharted that could work, without losing its magic and the main principles established by the first input.

Well, if they can't find a new type of game that could work for Uncharted, then they should do what they had done to Crash and Jak. Put the franchise to sleep, and start afresh with another. NO need to start milking.

Edited by Merry Ming Shana

Speaking of Tomb Raider, look what Tomb Raider is doing. A complete reboot that is going to be different compared to the previous trilogy. And you feel it's going to be better. That is what I expect from the developers of Naughty Dog. If Uncharted 4 comes out which is the same as Uncharted 3, it screams "We are playing it safe", which falls in to the category of Call of Duty. No CoD game to date still hasn't topped Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare you know, because the CoD games after that were similar (or worse) than CoD4. And I definitely feel Uncharted is going the same way if ND has an idea of creating another sequel.

I'm not saying Uncharted 4 will be "bad", as you said it will probably get a lot of sales and great reviews. But for someone like me who is getting bored of the same old stuff and playing it safe, unless I LOVE the franchise to bits, I move on. Like I did with CoD and Assassin's Creed.

Well, if they can't find a new type of game that could work for Uncharted, then they should do what they had done to Crash and Jak. Put the franchise to sleep, and start afresh with another. NO need to start milking.

Tomb Raider is an almost 20 years old franchise, rebooting it is a reasonable opition, but Uncharted still has that taste of "new stuff". I know you're not saying an U4 will be bad, but I think "milking" is not a right word either. Ok, we have the card game, but that's just one thing. Could be the first sign of milking the franchise? Yes, but I think releasing a new game, even if still follows the same formula, would not hurt. And remember, the guy said "first day of work", so it's not like the game's going to released next month. Trust me when I say I don't like this, but the best opition would be releasing a new Uncharted for the PS4, that will probaly come out in 2014 or 2015. The franchise will take a rest, and when is back, it's coming full powered, because God knows what the PS4 will be able to do, and we know ND will push it to its limit ^^

Edited by Jango

Tomb Raider is an almost 20 years old franchise, rebooting it is a reasonable opition, but Uncharted still has that taste of "new stuff".

Rebooting Uncharted will be way too early I guess but that's why I think they should put this franchise to rest. And when they finally come up with something that makes Uncharted interesting again, give it a proper reboot.

Ok, we have the card game, but that's just one thing.

Wellllllll, we have also have motion comics and a film coming out.

Yes, but I think releasing a new game, even if still follows the same formula, would not hurt.

Of course it wouldn't hurt, it will not hurt Naughty Dog at all. I again, point at Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed. That's not what I'm arguing about.

but the best opition would be releasing a new Uncharted for the PS4, that will probaly come out in 2014 or 2015.

To me, 2014 is still too early. And I would rather have a new Naughty Dog franchise for the system than Uncharted. Naughty Dog is one of the most trusted, AAA-rated developers that you know ANY game they make, it will turn in to gold. So why not start something fresh. The Last of Us is a good start, but it's by the looks the things, a one off title.

I'm all in for an Uncharted reboot, which can happen like 4 years from now but Uncharted 4? It gives me an impression that it's the same game as 3, just better graphics. It will still sell, get a high praise and "UNCHARTED ON PS4!!!" but you can't help but think they are playing it safe. Look at New Super Mario Bros.

But you know what's the funny thing. This little tweet may not be for Uncharted 4 or any Uncharted game for that matter. Time will tell, probably this E3.

Edited by Merry Ming Shana

Why do people have to brain storm ideas? Why can't Merry Ming just want something fresh and new with wanting Naughty Dog to deliver a unique experience? Its the developers job to think of how new ideas could fit into the Uncharted universe.

No, this does not mean put stupid gimmicks like back rubbing or facing your system toward a light bulb.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why do people have to brain storm ideas? Why can't Merry Ming just want something fresh and new with wanting Naughty Dog to deliver a unique experience? Its the developers job to think of how new ideas could fit into the Uncharted universe.

Because just want is too vague. Is like a "because yes" kinda of answer. We are discussing, discussions need some depth, otherwise we would be just agreeing.

Edited by Jango

Because just want is too vague. Is like a "because yes" kinda of answer. We are discussing, discussions need some depth, otherwise we would be just agreeing.

It isn't vague at all. We aren't even complaining. If I really wanted to say the series is tired I'd compare it to something like AC, which by the 4th game had lost its magic. But I haven't, yet. Uncharted is a great series but each entry doesn't exactly break new ground in any area except a couple mechanics and the story. How long before they run out of story ideas? Sometimes we all wonder if a game series would have been better with  a single entry, with only two entries, etc. 

No one is bashing the series or saying the story is worse than a Final Fantasy game. Personally, I just wish they'd wait a few years and come out with something that is Uncharted "but is totally new and different from what we expected."

We don't really have to justify any one of our opinions on this by coming up with our own idea. They're trying to sell us something, not the other way around.

• Thumbs Up 2