Awoo.

Dangan Ronpa General

\gunther

Giving a heads up to those considering buying the game.

If you are buying V3 on the Vita, it is highly suggested you go to the PS Store and download the "HQ Audio Patch". This game's audio is very compressed because of the Vita's 3.5 gb size limit for a retail game (without patches) and the fact that V3 is incredibly big due to the length and extra content. So if you actually wanna, you know, HEAR the characters, make sure to free up some memory card space for the patch.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler
On 18/09/2017 at 12:12 AM, Failinhearts said:

Yes, you heard right, then. Danganronpa V3 takes place in a completely new universe seperate from the Hope's Peak Academy Saga.

and it's the worst story i have ever seen

Although i dont think you really meant it, you're spoiling a lot of people with that line. I'm not really suprised at all at this "fiction" twist, as i've had the "different universe" part stuck in my head since the beginning. It's a spoiler...

Just some lategame stuff in v3 game.

Just now, Fijut said:
  Hide contents

Although i dont think you really meant it, you're spoiling a lot of people with that line. I'm not really suprised at all at this "fiction" twist, as i've had the "different universe" part stuck in my head since the beginning. It's a spoiler...

Just some lategame stuff in v3 game.

It's not a spoiler. From day one of the game's announcement, the game was marketed as a new universe.

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

So I'm considering getting into the series: which games should I play?

Always play the originals. So start with Danganronpa 1, then Danganronpa 2, Ultra Despair Girls then watch the Danganronpa 3 anime.

After that, then you can play V3.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Failinhearts said:

It's not a spoiler. From day one of the game's announcement, the game was marketed as a new universe.

There's absolutely nothing on the steam store page to indicate that or in the general synopsis for the game....

Just now, Failinhearts said:

Always play the originals. So start with Danganronpa 1, then Danganronpa 2, Ultra Despair Girls then watch the Danganronpa 3 anime.

I'll see what i can do

Just now, Fijut said:

There's absolutely nothing on the steam store page to indicate that or in the general synopsis for the game....

As in the Japanese marketing. Interviews and all that, we knew from day one this game was an alternate universe.

4 minutes ago, Failinhearts said:

As in the Japanese marketing. Interviews and all that, we knew from day one this game was an alternate universe.

pretty sure 99% of people can see the logic in how you're dropping huge spoilers for most people that just buy the game and play it, pretty sure i'd get banned off the steam hub if i posted a similar line in a non-spoiler area...

I also did some googling and... it would appear people consider it a huge spoiler, but whatever, not going to argue.. just feel bad on anyone who innocently reads this thread..

anyway i haven't quite finished the game so.. i'm going to keep playing, perhaps more things will be revealed..

Edited by Fijut

Just now, Fijut said:

pretty sure 99% of people can see the logic in how you're dropping huge spoilers for most people that just buy the game and play it, pretty sure i'd get banned off the steam hub if i posted a similar line in a non-spoiler area...

That's like saying "In the LEGO Ninjago Movie, the main villain is a cat". Yeah, that can be considered a spoiler, but they showed it in the second trailer. So since it was officially stated pre-release, we should have free reign to discuss this.

Before the game even came out in Japan, Danganronpa fans always say that V3 is not connected to the Hope's Peak Saga.

Spoiler

Really, the surprise to all of us was that Hope's Peak WAS connected in a sense, even as fiction.

5 minutes ago, Fijut said:

anyway i haven't quite finished the game so.. i'm going to keep playing, perhaps more things will be revealed..

It's not really a huge spoiler. It's literally been advertised from day one as being a separate universe completely. There's a reason why DR3 was done in an anime style after all, and why it was called the finale of the Hope's Peak saga. The dev team decided they wanted to do something completely new and not in the current canon and made that fact clear from the beginning. It's why they changed their plans of DR3 being a game to close off the Hope's Peak story to making it an anime and focusing their game assets to something completely new. It's not really spoiling if it's made clear from the very beginning this isn't meant to directly connect to the main universe and canon. It's also the reason why it's called V3, as opposed to DR 4.

• Thumbs Up 3

Honestly, I don't care. None of the promotional material i bothered checking gave any hint of this, or other places on the internet i've discussed it with. And googling it now, it seems pretty clear everyone considers it a spoiler except for you two here. Those that get hold of the rumour and ask about it all receive noncommital replies. Given how many people are asking about the game's link to the rest of the series i'd put forwards the idea that not everyone is someone that followed the game's development and watched every japanese press release and every early bit of japanese marketing.. It's only made clear to the few that actually want to know the story before they play it.

Disappointing but whatever. Not everyone googles and follows every tiny detail about a game before playing it... and surely, since you have played the game, how can you not see that perhaps it's something people would rather not know? Pretty sure it'd be mentioned on each of the platform's store pages when they sell it to you if it was such a minor detail in the long run.

Going to finish the game now anyway.

Just now, Fijut said:

Honestly, I don't care. None of the promotional material i bothered checking gave any hint of this, or other places on the internet i've discussed it with. And googling it now, it seems pretty clear everyone considers it a spoiler except for you two here. Those that get hold of the rumour and ask about it all receive noncommital replies. Given how many people are asking about the game's link to the rest of the series i'd put forwards the idea that not everyone is someone that followed the game's development and watched every japanese press release and every early bit of japanese marketing.. It's only made clear to the few that actually want to know the story before they play it.

Disappointing but whatever. Not everyone googles and follows every tiny detail about a game before playing it... and surely, since you have played the game, how can you not see that perhaps it's something people would rather not know? Pretty sure it'd be mentioned on each of the platform's store pages when they sell it to you if it was such a minor detail in the long run.

You don't even need a Google search though. If you're playing V3 as a newcomer, you're likely not giving a shit about the connection to previous games and if you did, you'd be asking people legitimately "Do I need to play the other games before this one, or does it matter". Otherwise, you're likely someone who's already pre-established with Danganronpa as a series and therefore know that the anime series literally titled Danganronpa 3: End of Hope's Peak Academy is the conclusion to that story. If you still didn't get it from that, the fact should be made much clearer by the fact that there's a completely different naming and numbering convention to V3.

Spoiler

And anyway, considering it turns out to be bullshit and it is connected in a way despite what was said at launch, it's not even that much of a spoiler by your standards.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Fijut said:

Regardless of such, it was something that was made public. I remember going on the DR Wikia before the game came out in Japan and they mention that it has no connection to the originals with the ONLY returning character being Monokuma. It wasn't even speculation, it was a downright statement.

Spoiler

That ended up being false by the end of the game.

Bringing up another example. Batman V Superman. Doomsday, the final enemy of the film shows up basically SHOWING us that Batman and Superman become buddies at the end WITH Wonder Woman at the end of one of the trailers.

Spoiler for the end? Yes.

Publically made available, warrenting inevitable discussion? Also yes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait! Stop! Hold everything!!

45 minutes ago, Failinhearts said:

Failin! How could you suggest to somebody to play that game! What were you thinking, man??

latest_cb_20160301065154.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Headless HorseDanJ86 said:

Wait! Stop! Hold everything!!

Failin! How could you suggest to somebody to play that game! What were you thinking, man??

latest_cb_20160301065154.png

tumblr_inline_mr6pmf3zus1qz4rgp.png

"Not my fault, me! I was just being objective! If they wanna play trash, go play trash!"

tumblr_ox82haqBXe1wtbpiao1_400.gif

Welp time for me to jump in here regarding V3's universe. I did some searching around and well I can confirm that both the Danganronpa TV Tropes main page as well as V3's own page (its the last paragraph) and the the Danganronpa Wiki confirm its in an entirely new universe, separate from the Hopes Peak Academy universe and its out of the open. The Gifted Inmates Academy is the start of a new saga in the series, nothing more.

And yes @Ryannumber1Scarer does have a big point as DR3 was subtitled as the End of Hopes Peak. They just wanted to do something new because they felt like they couldn't do anything more with the Hopes Peak saga anymore. Its kind of understandable but there's a few controversies around V3 but that's all I have to say about that.

I'll give my thoughts on characters and V3 later. I know I come here once in a blue moon despite being a big fan.

• Thumbs Up 2

tumblr_inline_mr6plzB6XW1qz4rgp.png

"Well, THAT ended quickly."

Anyway, on another note that doesn't have to do with a shitty game I remember mentioning this in the statuses before but not on the topic...

704400014178_anime-danganronpa-3-the-end

704400014161_anime-danganronpa-3-the-end

Funimation is finally releasing Danganronpa 3 on Blu-Ray. Future and Despair Arcs in different box sets sold seperately. It releases... HUH, tomorrow, actually.

Too bad I have a problem with this. Who's the wise guy who decided to release these SEPERATELY?

It's clearly a means of squeezing as much money out of this anime as possible... but the problem is that this show is kiiiiinda meant to be watched together. So the unknowing viewer who buys Future Arc on Blu-Ray and NOT Despair Arc will be missing on some crucial factors, damaging the overall enjoyment. Furthermore, Hope Arc counts as Despair Arc's LAST EPISODE.

So the Future Arc Blu-Ray ends on a fucking cliffhanger. "Oh, wanna see the end? Buy the other box set, dammit!"

Geez. Talk about scummy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Hate to jump in randomly like this with something else but seeing as this is the general DR discussion thread and not tied to any specific game, it's probably the best place to share it.

I have a personal story related to Dangan Ronpa that...isn't moving like with Faillin, in fact it once again shows how I am able to miss something that is right in front of me. Y'see, I occasionally go to conventions and last year I attended one while dressed as Pikachu. https://postimg.org/image/i0lnzh3zt/

While there, I did see many familiar characters being cosplayed and wanted to get pictures with them. But there was these three people that I kept seeing that looked really familiar, yet I couldn't remember why. I even almost bumped into one of them. (I can't see very well in that Pikachu getup.) It wasn't until I got home and looked through the photos being shared on the events Facebook page that I learned the truth.

ss-030.jpg

I saw people cosplaying as Yasuhiro Hagakure, Mondo Owada & Celestia Ludenberg!! 

What's worse is the girl cosplaying as Celestia was holding a Monokuma plush and I still didn't freakin' notice! I could've gotten a picture with them... ; _ ;

kuma.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Finished the game. Quite enjoyed it, although i would have appreciated the ending a bit more if i hadn't been semi-spoilt on it.

Even so, the twist was pretty obvious anyway, although you never really know whether to trust the obvious with Danganronpa. And as much as i really enjoyed the game, it's nothing compared to DR2. Oh well. Sleep time.

1 hour ago, Failinhearts said:

tumblr_inline_mr6plzB6XW1qz4rgp.png

"Well, THAT ended quickly."

Anyway, on another note that doesn't have to do with a shitty game I remember mentioning this in the statuses before but not on the topic...

704400014178_anime-danganronpa-3-the-end

704400014161_anime-danganronpa-3-the-end

Funimation is finally releasing Danganronpa 3 on Blu-Ray. Future and Despair Arcs in different box sets sold seperately. It releases... HUH, tomorrow, actually.

Too bad I have a problem with this. Who's the wise guy who decided to release these SEPERATELY?

It's clearly a means of squeezing as much money out of this anime as possible... but the problem is that this show is kiiiiinda meant to be watched together. So the unknowing viewer who buys Future Arc on Blu-Ray and NOT Despair Arc will be missing on some crucial factors, damaging the overall enjoyment. Furthermore, Hope Arc counts as Despair Arc's LAST EPISODE.

So the Future Arc Blu-Ray ends on a fucking cliffhanger. "Oh, wanna see the end? Buy the other box set, dammit!"

Geez. Talk about scummy.

I know it's going to sound like my bias is getting the best of me, but even the cover art for both arcs doesn't really represent them well. It's obvious they're banking on the fan favourite pairings of the first and second game as opposed to trying to represent the actual arcs. Haijme while having an important role in one part is only in 3 or 4 episodes of despair at best and Makoto and Kyoko barely spend time together in Future. Like again, this will sound like bias but I feel at the very least Hina should be there with them, considering she's pretty much in the assistant/secondary role of Future. Hina's role is more of the actual secondary character while Kyoko is seemingly more there for Makoto's motivation.

• Thumbs Up 2