Awoo.

Artwork: Speedy's Paintings

Speedy

Hiya everybody! Since everyone and their hedgehog is doing it too, I thought I'd post some of my artwork here. Maybe some of you can enjoy it.

My current desktop background. happy.png

watching_dawn_by_speedy1236-d4pxewy.png

Oh, and Super Sonic!

streak_of_gold_by_speedy1236-d4s07op.png

And Knuckles in ugly weather. ^^

facing_the_storm_by_speedy1236-d58rzqv.png

• Thumbs Up 7

This art is really nice and pretty. Good work!

I really like the sunset...

Edited by Paradise
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you!blush.png

I love sunsets, so beautiful colors of light. happy.png

More sunset lighting. ^^ (And overkill resolution... You might want to click on the picture to view it full size.)

rain_by_speedy1236-d4bpvpt.png

• Thumbs Up 3

A picture of Angel Island I did (quite a while ago, but still). There's something awesome to floating islands. Something mystic. smile.png

mystic_isle_by_speedy1236-d4czq9r.png

This was a picture going with a short story. Or maybe the story was going with the picture. I really can't say for sure anymore.

Anyway, I think it's one of my best pictures to the day.

the_last_ring_by_speedy1236-d4t3z8n.png

Edited by Speedy
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thank you!

I remember looking at your art; you draw the characters really well. Pretty cute, too. I like the one you have as an avatar, Tails and the chao. happy.png *goes to look at your art topic here*

Oh, while I'm here anyway... More artwork. *spam*

sonic_heroes____by_speedy1236-d4m4ikm.png

• Thumbs Up 1

A concept for a Chaos Emerald. Well, it started as one. I got a little carried away with the background... huh.png

chaos_waves_by_speedy1236-d50xhok.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks. happy.png Funnily, I often spend a lot more time on the characters than the backgrounds. Characters have more fine details; you don't have to be as accurate with backgrounds. Makes them kind of relaxing to draw.

Edited by Speedy

Guess I'll update this and see how many pictures I can fit in one post before the board starts complaining. But I don't want to be called off for bumping this topic either. happy.png

Okay, here's some seasonally fitting stuff first. Snow picture from last year:
winter_sports_by_speedy1236-d4ioc4n.png

Tails looks kinda weird, but the snow turned out well I think. huh.png

And snow picture from this year. With chao, oviously. ^^

snowy_snowy_chao_by_speedy1236-d5nvs85.p

Some more art from last year...

trio_in_the_sky_by_speedy1236-d4fejjq.pn

Team Sonic on the plane. I like Knuckles on this one. (And holy shit I still remember how much work all those damn bolts on the Tornado were...)

A kinda fuzzy Sonic with a sparkly Chaos Emerald:

magic_inside_by_speedy1236-d4hgqb1.png

And some newer stuff.

The Triple Threat chilling around a campfire:

by_the_fire_by_speedy1236-d4wz5lh.png

Portrait of Sonic at Seaside Hill

true_blue_by_speedy1236-d54ayip.png

Knuckles and the moonlit Master Emerald

nightly_watch_by_speedy1236-d5f4jh2.png

And something to maybe fit the upcoming New Year. Sonic on a rocket, with fireworks. cool.png

rocket_ride_by_speedy1236-d5bjjke.png

Okay, guess that was it for now.

[/spam]

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

Gosh, that's some freakin' sweet colouring!! With some gorgeous backgrounds!

I can only really think of two possible areas you could improve on. The first is the size of the hands. Sonic characters tend to have a large head, feet and hands. Take a look at this, as an example. 

http://imageshack.us/a/img811/2377/shadowst.jpg With his arms folded like that, his hands almost cover his entire body.

The second thing is that sometimes the proportions look wrong. I had that some problem once. The best way to solve it, is to use the shapes method to map out were the characters body parts will be. Simple circles for the head and body with lines for the legs and arms would be enough.

Like this.

howtodrawsonic9.gif

Everything else looks glorious.
Edited by DanJ86

Thank you! Constructive feedback like that is very much appreciated! smile.png

And you already found my two weak spots. I just find hands really tough to draw correctly. (Maybe I unconsciously make them too small because of that?) I'll take a special look at my characters hands and how big they have to be next time I draw.

I've recently started experimenting with lines like that, though more with proper poses in mind than proportions. I want to try drawing more interesting and maybe dynamic poses than I did so far. When I'm doing that anyway I'll try to get more accurate proportions, too. happy.png

Cover artwork for a story. In the beginning I wanted to draw something really different, but then I got the idea for this concept of a Chaos Emerald turning to dust that becomes the sand in the hourglass. I think I like it. With glowy looking signature, because I can. cool.png

Edit: The green looks kinda weird with the blue background of the board... huh.png

out_of_time_by_speedy1236-d5r5cba.png

Edited by Speedy

These are magnificent. I think Imma start an art/doodle thread of my own!

• Thumbs Up 1

That is an amazing style in your paints! Honestly thought I saw a couple of 'polygons' because my eyes tricked me from how much depth they have. Those are honestly amazing!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Awestruck Super Sonic, with underwater sunlight and shiny bubbles. Painted this last week. Right now, I'm pretty fond of it, too. wink.png

refraction_by_speedy1236-d5t1d9p.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow speedy! Those are great drawing!

Makes ne want to have a go, I have loads of ideas in my head but I can NEVER get it to look right on paper :(

Any advice?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, and sorry for the late reply.

Don't know if there is so much useful advice. All I can really say is keep trying. Drawing the characters right only works with practice. For coloring, I find experimenting works pretty well. Just pick a tool and try something, see what happens. The advantage of digital art is that you can use CTRL+Z if something doesn't work. Believe me, I do that often when I try something new.

If you want to draw backgrounds, it often helps looking at photos. Say you want to draw water. Hit up Google and search for things like 'water surface', 'waves' or 'reflection' in images. Look through the first page of results and take some time to go through the pictures. It's not about directly copying something, but it often helps just to look closely at how something looks for real. Then you find that for example water drops are really just a white outline, a bit of shadow on one side and a few highlights.

When I drew the picture in the first post of this topic, the one with Sonic watching the sunrise behind the mountains, I couldn't get the clouds right. I had the hills, and the mountains, and Sonic, and the lighting. But I wanted clouds, and they always looked off. So I went looking for pictures of sunrises with clouds. It took some time to find a few that actually fit the light situation I had in my picture, but then when I found something similar enough to work as reference and looked at it for a moment, comparing it with what I'd been drawing, I realized that I used the wrong colors. Like I did before when drawing a blue sky with clouds, I used white and greys, then tried adding some orange colors to it. Now it turned out you can't do that when drawing a sunrise where the entire sky is orange. You have to use darker and lighter hues of orange, a bit of brown, and a bit of yellow to do the clouds.

So, if you want advice, I guess all I can say is a) practice and dare trying something out, even if it won't always work, and B) don't be afraid to use references. Of course, also tutorials can work, or looking at artwork you like. You don't need to copy anything. Just look closely and try to understand what makes things look the way you want them to look.

• 1 month later...

God, I haven't posted anything here in months I think...

Anyway, drew something again. happy.png

sanctuary_soaring_by_speedy1236-d60w3am.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

the_melting_chaos_by_speedy1236-d628ymu.

Can't describe that one.  A melting Chaos Emerald, a couple gold rings, and some sparkly stuff... huh.png

• Thumbs Up 1

A melting chaos emerald sounds like it'd have some very interesting plot elements down the line... if we assume the Chaos Emeralds are actually containers for some chaotic force that would otherwise permeate throughout the globe... well, we can only assume some hell's going to be raised.

Beautiful works, though, Speedy! You've got some wonderful painting skills most certainly. :)