Awoo.

How would YOU rewrite the characters?

Shrek

Man if you can't leave your island to visit your bro on his birthday, when can you?

On the island, instead? :P

And Generations had Blaze leave her home dimension for Sonic's party, so she's more of the elephant in the room than Knuckles is.

At least Blaze can put her emeralds in hammerspace without having to cause an island to crash into the sea (and IIRC Rush's ending said that as long as Blaze can control the emeralds or something both dimensions would be hunky-dory).

honestly, would have made sense to me if he showed up in the white world, but not at the party, if you are a time and space ripping monster, you can take someone from anywhere, but leaving the island abandoned, just a bad idea

At least Blaze can put her emeralds in hammerspace without having to cause an island to crash into the sea (and IIRC Rush's ending said that as long as Blaze can control the emeralds or something both dimensions would be hunky-dory).

But then she leaves her home dimension vulnerable to attack, unless there are more heroes than her helping to keep it safe...which we don't know about.

There is marine..... who am I kidding, the world would be doomed :P joking a bit, however wouldnt it be possible that they reprogrammed the pirate robots perhaps, and turned them into privateers?

I dunno. All I know is that we hardly know much about Blaze's world to throw around questions of whether it's safe or not when she's absent.

Compared to Knu...nope. I'm not gonna talk about him unless everyone else is cool with reigniting it....

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

well, if we decide to throw together some guidelines, so that we dont go crazy, honestly if we planned it well for some productive conversation, we could start a thread, again IF we set this up properly

We already have a thread called the been dead for a while, nevermind the countless discussions we've had over him that I've always been involved in since 2005 (on the old forum). I'd recommend that topic for more a more specific character discussion on him, but it's gonna be difficult to talk about unless you have a new approach for the character that isn't already discussed.

Time out, brah. While he may not have contributed much in the story, ShTH was a game that more than justified him being present since it was a world crisis going on.

I guess I can let this slide, although I do still find it odd he'd abandon his post considering all of the shit around him.

And Generations had Blaze leave her home dimension for Sonic's party, so she's more of the elephant in the room than Knuckles is.

One character at a time mon, we're focusing on Knuckles right now. That, and Generations isn't exactly a well written piece of work.

Man if you can't leave your island to visit your bro on his birthday, when can you?

Well the least they could have done was just casually mention it:

Sonic: Hey Knucklehead, don't you have an emerald to be guarding?

Knuckles: Sonic relax, I got it covered, now let's see who can stuff the most cake.

There. Simple.

I still feel like the issue about Knuckles leaving the island would be a pressing matter if the Master Emerald was still relevant in any way, shape, or form.

Well Sega seem to pretend it's relevant by constantly mentioning it in his profiles. It's almost an informed trait at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was thinking, everyone talks about Sonic being more balanced and having negative traits and shit, but I think some negative traits could be hiding themselves in some of his existing traits:

-Always moving/travelling=Not good at making friends/maintaining friendships. With his constant movement around the world, Sonic would kinda be a loner and not have friendships go much farther then acquaintances, with the exception of Tails

-Unwavering determination=Throws himself into situations he can't win a.k.a. leads to crazy amounts of stubbornness. For example, he would throw himself against a thousand robots, even though even Sonic would be most likely to lose that battle. 

-Cockiness=Has big problem with underestimating his enemies. This could also play in making Eggman more intimidating of a threat, with a situation of Sonic cockily underestimating his latest creation, only to have it curb-stomp him. 

To make some negative traits for Sonic, all you need to do is think about how his neutral or positive traits can turn against him.

Thing is, they never are. Everything you described is basically used to make Sonic look even cooler and nicer. You definitely have something there tho.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was thinking, everyone talks about Sonic being more balanced and having negative traits and shit, but I think some negative traits could be hiding themselves in some of his existing traits:

-Always moving/travelling=Not good at making friends/maintaining friendships. With his constant movement around the world, Sonic would kinda be a loner and not have friendships go much farther then acquaintances, with the exception of Tails

I've always partially felt that Sonic was the kind of guy who might be friendly and all, but when it comes to more intimate relationships, like love (brotherly or romantic), he becomes uncertain of how to approach the situation, and as a result might accidentally say or do things that are insulting or offensive. Heck, he might accidentally misinterpret something for another thing. It would definitely make for some interesting conflicts if anything.

For example (using pre-flanderization/overly crazy version) Amy Rose has a crush on Sonic, but Sonic isn't used to having someone crushing on him, especially the way Amy does it (upfront and in his face), so he misinterprets it as her being obsessed with him, and thus he runs away in panic, fearing a threat that isn't actually there. Meanwhile Amy feels hurt and confused as to why he is acting like this, and tries to get closer to him to understand him better, but only succeeds in creating even more poor communication, thus leading to even more headaches.

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile
  • Thumbs Up 1

To make some negative traits for Sonic, all you need to do is think about how his neutral or positive traits can turn against him.

Basically, yeah. That's part of how you do good characters in general, I think; not separate lists of "strengths" and "flaws", but examining their traits in both directions.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 7 years later...

Simple, turn Sonic from... (Ugh)

Back to

The Colors Sonic needs to die.  Granted, I liked him in Lost World (Baldy Nosehair aside) cause he took things more seriously, but still, Colors' English script is the 2nd worst thing I've ever heard.  And the fact they explained the "Who you callin' nothing?" joke makes it even worse.  Especially since it could've actually been legitimately funny, but as the Joker said

Unleashed for the win once again.  

It's nice to see this thread revived again.

3 hours ago, Miles Storzillo said:

Simple, turn Sonic from... (Ugh)

Back to

The Colors Sonic needs to die.  Granted, I liked him in Lost World (Baldy Nosehair aside) cause he took things more seriously, but still, Colors' English script is the 2nd worst thing I've ever heard.  And the fact they explained the "Who you callin' nothing?" joke makes it even worse.  Especially since it could've actually been legitimately funny, but as the Joker said

Unleashed for the win once again.  

It really seems like Pontaff and Graff are writing the cocky nature of Sonic aside and focusing more on his humor. Now that Sonic Forces changes nothing from this formula, it's shame they're drawing more closer to flanderize rather than expand.

The sonic drought is getting so bad that we have to revive dead threads to have something to discuss. Not that I'm complaining, at least this is more interesting than discerning Sonic's height.

Jokes aside, I wholly agree. Now we just gotta rewrite Shadow now.

46 minutes ago, BadBehavior said:

I wholly agree. Now we just gotta rewrite Shadow now.

Shadow doesn't need a complete rewrite as much as Tails does right now.

I can't be the only one who whenever ancient threads like these are revived feel compelled to go through it and check whether I said something in it years ago before I say something new just to make sure that I don't contradict myself...:P

I don't worry too much about contradicting myself. It's alright to change your mind on these types of things.

Really minor example, but maybe Vanilla?

Advance 2 itself doesn't have much plot to it, but I find it interesting how Cream is one of the only characters who has a family that shaped who she was upon introduction and relatively little was said or rather done with it. Partly because there was never really a place for it with a lack of cutscenes or anything before they were kidnapped by Eggman, but I think it would've been a little neat if we could've said more about her mindset at some point.

It's not always evident depending on the art style and it's almost never drawn attention to, but Cream actually has really huge ears compared to other lagomorph characters and is similar to those of Dumbo in allowing her to fly. Much like Tails having two rotating...tails, Cream as a rabbit should not be able to fly but her unusual proportions allows her to achieve that feat. And the fact that she is effectively sheltered, if nonetheless friendly and curious about the world, due to living in a cottage(or ranch in Archie) out in the woods is also a little suspect given her vaguely upperclass culture.

I'm not even sure if the manual goes into her existence much less her name, but it'd kind of make sense if Vanilla, for as pleasant and mannerly as she is, once had a negative view of the world or rather how it might view her daughter. It is said that Cream's dialect is the habitual result of a strict upbringing that emphasized always conducting oneself in a polite fashion, so it'd stand to reason that this was intentionally ingrained into her as a safeguard against being judged harshly just as much as a reflection of Vanilla's own background. 

While not exactly meant to make her antagonistic, it would give her a hint of depth and make the fact that she's more accepting of Cream being free-range a testament to the heroism and open-mindedness exhibited by Sonic and Amy, even if it is ultimately confined to the manual or other character bio.

On 7/15/2020 at 8:53 PM, Styx_Linoone said:

Shadow doesn't need a complete rewrite as much as Tails does right now.

Tails requires zero fixing. He was coward in Forces? We'll he's fine in Team Racing and will be in next game. Chill
Even if they break him again (IDK, make him stupid) it once again will be 1 game thing and nothing to worry about.

I'm a little confused by idea behind this topic. It seems like it will naturally lead to people saying "they changed character X, turn him back to how he used to be".
Sonic before Colors. Smarter Knuckles. Non Coward Tails. Non-asshole Shadow. Amy with less/more crush.

And personally I can't see myself 'rewriting' character. It's not how my head works. I look at character, try to figure out who they are and then present that person. "Be the best version of yourself" logic. Like Amy, I would focus on presenting her love for Sonic as something wholesome, magical, motivational. Something to admire, not scowl or laugh at. But my brain says  it's not "change", it's just Amy in her purest form.

The idea behind this topic and most of the people in it is that they don't like the direction they've been written for whatever reason and want things to go back "when things were good" which is nebulous since everyone's idea of "good" is relative.

The most frequent citing is that people want everything how it was in the Adventure games since they grew up with it and felt that's when the characters were at their best.