Awoo.

HipHopGamer Hears from E3 Reps: Nintendo has Considered Purchasing SEGA

Autosaver

Also if this news is "real", then Nintendo had considered. Past tense. They must have changed their mind. Which is good.

Making good games and taking their time on making their amazing games? You know, instead of just shitting them out whether they're done or not, like SEGA likes to do. Though, to be fair, I think Sonic '06 was a deterrent to that idiotic behavior.

I love the false dichotomy you've created with your straw man, it really suits Nintendo die hards well.

What was the last big internally developed Nintendo game? Skyward Sword? What the hell was the one before that? And when was the last time they did something cool or interesting?

As much as I'm sure people don't want to hear it, Nintendo really would be the best choice if SEGA ever got themselves into a situation where they couldn't keep going on their own. Nintendo is a company that knows SEGA very well. SEGA went from being their greatest rival to being one of their greatest business partners, and there was always a mutual respect and love for each others' work despite what marketing would say.

• Thumbs Up 6

The first thing that popped into my head when I saw the topic headline was this:

Mario: Okay, we in agreement, here, si? Just one more thing.

Sonic: Yeah, sure. Done deal.

Mario: If you want to work for the moneta...the anello, you get on your knees and work. *snaps fingers* Capito?

Sonic: WHAT.

Mario: Don't make me repeat myself. Ti ho proprio ora!

Sonic: The things I'll do for a chili dog.

Joking aside, if SEGA were ever in a situation where buyout was imminent/likely...I don't know what I'd want. I'd want the franchise to be bought for possible continuation obviously, but I don't know just based on the aforementioned above.

Then again, it's not like Nintendo has much competition from SEGA in the way of console wars these days, so they wouldn't be inclined to buy out the Sonic franchise/trademarks just to snuff out the competition.

But then...

Mario: Tu sei la mia puttana...

Edited by KittyNakajima
  • Thumbs Up 1

I love the false dichotomy you've created with your straw man, it really suits Nintendo die hards well.

What was the last big internally developed Nintendo game? Skyward Sword? What the hell was the one before that? And when was the last time they did something cool or interesting?

Kid Icarus: Uprising, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, etc but, those are handheld titles so I guess they don't count, even though plenty of hard work went into that. Well, since you bring this up; as for anything really interesting this generation, Xenoblade Chronicles. Monolith Soft is a 1st party R&D team for Nintendo now, and they revived the JRPG genre in a way every single other developer had been trying to, and failing at, for this entire generation Though, when was the last time anyone in the industry has done something cool and interesting? Seems pretty stagnant to me.

Edited by Kringle Of Awesome

That would be awesome.

Nintendo always put out fantastic games.

Though, isn't SEGA owned by the gambling company piccolo? I'm not sure if Nintendo would be able to get them to agree to it.

Sammy would sell them if they went south enough. The question is whether it's as bad as it looks, right now, or if it's just overblown.

I'll give a shit when Nintendo themselves say something.

That is all fanbase. That. IS. ALL.

• Thumbs Up 2

Its a real 2 sided coin here.

On one side, we'd have a high-backing company funding SEGA and we would have quality sonic games.

But on the other, loss of everything that isn't nintendo. no more PC, mobile, 360, PS3, or any future console support.

God I want quality sonic games but not at that price. I'll stick to meh quality.

• Thumbs Up 7

Since this is coming from one person, take it with a grain of salt.

More like since this is coming from HipHopGamer, probably bullshit.

Edited by Ball Hog Badnik

I don't want a Nintendo console again, I'll be honest.

It might be better for SEGA but think of it this way.

Now, Sonic prolly won't get stuff like a cameo in a movie again due to Nintendo asking a lot of money and stuff. He could still do almost everything else.

I don't want this to happen, being 100% honest.

• Thumbs Up 4

SEGA under Nintendo is better than SEGA not existing at all, which is what they're heading toward if they don't get their freakin' shit together. They haven't done anything right, business wise, in a long time. Shit, they ruined their first big new deal, the one with Platinum, in a matter of games. We've already found out we wouldn't see Bayonetta 2 if it wasn't for Nintendo, due to SEGA being so dirt poor these days, and Platinum's hesitance to ever work with them again.

Edited by Kringle Of Awesome
  • Thumbs Up 1

How old is this interview? Rumor or not, given Sega's financial state, I'd say it's a good thing if things get REALLY bad for them. Nintega >>>>>>> dead Sega and maybe this would finally give us a Sonic game that took 3+ years to design expertly. They pretty much dug themselves into this hole by ruining their main franchise's reputation with consecutive low quality/amateurly designed games(until recently), not putting their other nonsonic franchises to use, not advertising their nonsonic games, using marketing bribes and promos to sell a game that was promised as "Sonic 4 as we truly imagined it" rather than on its own merits, and having the shittyest marketing/advertising teams ever in general. As for console exclusivity, meh, I'm fine with it. I only bought a 360 to play Unleashed and 06 anyways, although I did discover new games through it too.

There are probably other companies I'd rather see take the reigns of Sega, though Nintendo assimilating them would be the most poetic outcome, given their history.

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea. It's not like it would be the first time Sonic was a console-exclusive franchise. In fact, I think the series would benefit from it. Multiplatform games are often burdened with having to keep a generalized flavor to keep in line with the audiences of each console. That's why I think the early 2000 Sonic games were all over the place in tone; Shadow the Hedgehog, I believe, was most likely created to make the series more marketable to the Xbox audience. Console-exclusive games, on the other hand, help reinforce the identity of the system it's on; that was the whole reason Sonic was created, in fact- to give the Genesis/MD a characteristic image, and I think the restriction would help give the series a more stable footing. Whether or not it would be beneficial to Sega from a business standpoint, I can't say. Depends on how autonomous Nintendo will let Sega be. The ideal option, in my opinion, would be for Nintendo to invest in Sega and let them be a second-party company. That way, Sega has the freedom to publish for other consoles, but still have at least one console and handheld as a secure option.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno how to feel about this. I like playing Sonic games on other consoles besides Nintendo but if SEGA is really in deep trouble then I think it's for the best if Nintendo buys them and save the company if things get really bad. Maybe we can get some awesome game collaboration between SEGA and Nintendo.

In this topic: The Bayonetta 2 backlash on a more personal level for fans. =P

But honestly, my thoughts would boil down to this; Would Nintendo really use SEGA's other, non-Sonic series? I really can't think of anyone who would, and IMO, I'm betting whoever though of buying them whether it be Nintendo, Sony, MS, heck even Activision and EA, probably only thought of Sonic when they thought of it. When those other SEGA games now have an owner who has cash to spare, you know there's gonna be some noise for those, and this is probably what stopped them from doing it(but this is coming from someone who blames Sonic for the rut SEGA's in, so what do I know).

A gut feeling also tells me Sonic's games wouldn't really take a boost in quality if SEGA did get bought...

Edited by FourCartridge

I'm taking the actual news with a grain of salt, but I personally have no problem with the idea of Nintendo buying SEGA, as long as SEGA's development teams don't get laid off. The idea of a Nintendo-developed Sonic scares me, but the idea of a Sonic Team-developed Sonic with Nintendo's level of care and funding is a very happy thought. And maybe they'll be able to use union actors again.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nintendo likes to keep a stable of subsidiaries, as well as make new R&D departments, so I'm sure a good chunk of SEGA's employees would find work in some newly established teams (though I'm sure Sonic Team would just stay as Sonic Team), as well as finding work in the other R&D departments.

I'm... somewhat saddened that the Big N might be our only hope, rather than Sega surviving based on their own merits...

I remember so many years ago, when SEGA first announced to the world that they were going software only and there were tons of BS rumors that Nintendo was going to buy SEGA out. Me, a hyper fanboy if there ever was one, was absolutely appalled at the possibility.

Now I am an adult, who lives in reality. Reality is that SEGA is on its last legs, more so than any other point in its history. The death rattle of the company doesn't seem far off barring some outside intervention, and nowadays, Nintendo seems to be the most likely candidate who would do it, if just to save the Sonic brand for potential $$$, because SEGA would never sell the milk without making Nintendo buy the whole cow with it. Yes, it would suck that SEGA games would no longer be on other systems, but considering how things are going, that'll happen soon enough on its own.

So just about every company has considered buying SEGA, and then decided not to? They probably think it's more trouble than it's worth.

As for Nintendo buying SEGA, do you REALLY think that is a good idea? I mean what SEGA franchises would they want to revive. Remember SEGA are only focusing on four core IP's at present. Do you really think Nintendo will want to release new Sonic games along with new Mario games, when they use to be such fierce rivals back in the day. Nintendo don't need a new mascot.

Also, if SEGA were to be bought by someone, I would rather it be by the company with the most powerful console (which will be Xbox or Playstation).

I think meh sounds about right.

Edited by Silent Nightwing

>People wondering if Nintendo would bother with other IPs

>Bayonetta 2

Why? Platinum Games is awesome, it's recent and all that stuff.

Will we see Space Channel, Skies of Arcadia, JSR or something like that again? I doubt it.

The only reason Nintendo would purchase Sega is so they can kill Sonic off in a game, once and for all.

There can be only one.

Edited by Rigbone the Kid