Awoo.

Sega cancelled a Streets of Rage remake, SORR!

Badnik Mechanic

Sega... You've done a few questionable decisions lately... but... why... just... why did you cancel this!

Remember a few months back how Sega told a fangame called 'Streets of Rage Remix' to cease all production with little explanation as to why? Well... we may have found our answer.

It turns out that Developer Ruffan Games was working on a remake of Streets of Rage which was going to be a new digital title. However, following Segas financial problems and their re-structuring the project has been completely cancelled.

Developer Sean Noonan has confirmed via twitter that the footage is real.

The video is very short and theres no audio. But good god it looks amazing, it even has the bad guy Jack in it from streets of Rage 2 and some very recognisable thugs pop up too.

I don't think I can embed the video here on SSMB, so here is the link.

You'd better watch it quick because theres no way this will be online for long.

• Thumbs Up 2

It looks fantastic. I think this could have done relatively well had they not canned it. But who knows how much of it was actually done beyond this video.

This doesn't look like Streets of Rage to me almost at all. It was a gritty series, but in many ways it was also really cartoony, with like fire breathing fat men and a kid who uses roller skates. This just seems too typically realistic, or some shit like that.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not really impressed.

Still sucks that this series almost came back but didn't, though.

Edited by Semi-colon e

This doesn't look like Streets of Rage to me almost at all. It was a gritty series, but in many ways it was also really cartoony, with like fire breathing fat men and a kid who uses roller skates.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not really impressed.

It's less than 2min worth of gameplay footage that showed 1 character. You saw a remake of what was effectively the first half of the first level of SOR 2.

Which from my memory doesn't have the fire breathing guys or any of the cartoony like elements.

It's less than 2min worth of gameplay footage that showed 1 character. You saw a remake of what was effectively the first half of the first level of SOR 2.

Which from my memory doesn't have the fire breathing guys or any of the cartoony like elements.

Granted, but meh. Maybe it's just because the old games are 2D and 3D tends to look pretty different.

I wonder if they had Yuzo Koshiro with his genius music though. That would have made it really awesome, but with no audio or sense of how far they got into it (probably not that much), it's tough to say if any music was completed.

Edited by Semi-colon e

Aw man, I really liked Streets of Rage. It looks like this could have been a really good game. :/ Maybe it'll be revived at some point..?

I'd thought they had already cancelled the remake a few years ago. I'm not really suprised by this news at all.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ruffian Games?

Probably would have been shit. Unless this was pre-alpha I don't see why they didn't go with a cell-shaded look either.

I wasn't really impressed by this footage at all so I'm finding it hard to be gutted at its cancellation.

• Thumbs Up 5

I've never played Streets Of Rage but I've always wanted to try it so it's a shame it was cancelled.

D: Go play it somehow right now!

Read about this earlier. Eurogamer have a version with sound up on their player which is pretty neat. The gameplay doesn't look too hot really... but it's pre-alpha so you can take that how you will.

From Eurogamer's article:

The video shows scenes from a playable prototype of the game. "It was something we built very rapidly and represents pre-pre-pre-pre (lots of pres) pre-Alpha quality," Liddon said. "Even so it has a certain charm smile.png

"What's the story behind it all? Like a lot of developers we work on a lot of different prototypes, they're just not usually shown in public. In this case an older version of the same video was leaked last week which came as a bit of a surprise if I'm honest. As it had no sound I thought there wouldn't be any harm sharing a version with audio.

"Beyond that there's not a lot more I can say unfortunately smile.png"

Why was it cancelled, former Ruffian developer and driver of the prototype video Sean Noonan was asked on Twitter. "I don't really have a solid answer to that sad.png," he replied.

Edited by Andrew Albacia

And here is the video with the audio.

I'm not a fan of the music, though I guess it would have been placeholders. But I do love the neon lights that appear and fly off, like the GO and 'Jack.'

So... basically, it's like if Sega sent everyone at retro a C&D for Sonic fangames so they could make Sonic 4, then cancelled it anyway.

To be this good at trolling takes AGES.

Edited by Tornado

derp

That's what I get for not reading the first sentence.

Edited by Gabe McClane
  • Thumbs Up 1

As others have said, this isn't the first time Sega threw their toys out of the pram over a Streets of Rage remake. Surely they should be hiring these guys, not stamping them out? (more so with SoR Remake. That game is boss. :B)

Or perhaps they have their own plans for a re-release (adding to "Sega heritage", or a remake of their own? blink.png

Edited by Mash-It Mambo

Comes full circle.

I think that one got stuck in development hell and became something else. It started off as Streets of Rage 4, but I don't know if it became fighting force or was just outrightly cancelled and Fighting Force started off as a 'new idea.' I remember renting Fighting Force and being bored for the weekend, it was one of those games that wasn't very much fun and ruined your rental entertainment for the Saturday/Sunday you had it.

As others have said, this isn't the first time Sega threw their toys out of the pram over a Streets of Rage remake. Surely they should be hiring these guys, not stamping them out? (more so with SoR Remake. That game is boss. :cool.png

Or perhaps they have their own plans for a re-release (adding to "Sega heritage", or a remake of their own? blink.png

I think you might have misunderstood.

There was a fangame called Streets of Rage Remake/Remix (Not sure on the exact title) and it was really really good. But Sega asked them to stop without a real reason as to why. Then this leak happened which from the looks of it might have been in production at the time they asked that site to stop work on their fan game.

What I suspect happened is that.

Sega wanted/may even still want to make a new Streets of Rage game. Judging by the gameplay footage, they want a digital title. Something that they can put on the XBLA/PSN which isn't very big, might not even be the most amazing game ever, but will sell through the name and the fact it's playable alone.

However, what I think might have happened is that they comissioned Ruffan Games, or Ruffan Games approached them with the concept.

Sega green lit it, but, there would have been stipulations/points where Sega would have needed to see what state the game was in. I think that maybe it failed one of these points, either Sega were not happy with the development/direction, or it was behind development to a point where it would cost more to finish than their projected costs were for potential sales.

At this point development stopped, but due to NDA's and what-not, it's been kept a secret.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah geez, although the game doesn't look fantastic right now, it could end as a good one in the future. I really miss SoR.

SEGA...

I'm not a beat 'em up fan, but it would've be nice for a new SOR game to come out for those who like it (and maybe make SEGA famous for something that ISN'T named Sonic).

Edited by Spin Attaxx