Awoo.

Your Unanswered Sonic Questions

Person

1 hour ago, Ernest the Panda said:

How are the little animals inside badniks able to survive?

The E-series robots each have animals inside them that would’ve been stuck in there for days on end.

I always assumed there was some form of stasis involved.

How did Metal get the ability to copy data, let alone shapeshift?

On 6/4/2019 at 2:35 PM, Sega DogTagz said:

I would call Vanilla a civilian. Cream only dodges that distinction because she's playable.

But yeah, Rush Adventure has quite large populous of fuzzies. Marine, the coconut crew and the Vikings all come to mind. The echidna clan in the SA1 flash backs inhabit the same world as the humans in the present day. Chronicles features the Nocturnous clan, and a few pirate Echidna's too and of course Boom is primarily populated with fuzzies.

In SA1 and Chronicles, there are humans and mobians hanging around in the same game. (ignoring Eggman and Nega of course)

Oh yeah, I should note that I wasn't counting most of those.

That included Vanilla because is attached to Cream, who is a major playable character. And the Echidnas, both Knuckles and Nocturnus, exist in separate timeframes/dimensions.

When I say there's a lack of Mobian/Animal citizenry, I'm referring to areas populated by bird, beavers, bears, any other anthros that are just walking around like the humans/Overlanders were in Station Square, Central City, and Soleanna.

On 6/6/2019 at 8:26 PM, DabigRG said:

Who is the white one by Techno and ...Ebony...?

I'm just noticing the image didn't appear. I'll get it back momentarily.

8 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

One of the things that does legitimately confuse me is how things that are obvious or set-up to be a certain way are so easily changed at the drop of a hat without recognition for the confusion that doing so would cause. I kind of lump all of the examples together from something as minor as "the Wisps stayed behind on Sonic's planet because they liked it there despite never setting foot on the planet in Colors" to major ones like "Classic Sonic is now from another dimension" and "Some of Sonic's games took place in a dimension where humans are instead of the much simpler explanation of the two species co-existing".

Now, it's easy for someone to look at this and respond by saying that they don't care but, that's where I get tripped up. These decisions to constantly fuck around with the status quo of the world and it's lore don't make sense as the actions of someone who doesn't care. 

I do think Iizuka and the people over there care about this stuff.

Even the recent interview about Team Sonic Racing seemed to suggest that the inclusion of Dodon-Pa was done for the sake of expanding upon the mythos of Sonic's universe and how far-reaching it could be. The introduction of this king who's super rich and owns a company in space that farms out technology to planet's the galaxy over was something done to build upon the structure of the universe. Yet at the same time it's also the same game where Zavok returns and is, with no explanation, suddenly and willingly, doing Eggman's bidding as though what was established before no longer matters.

They clearly like setting things up and introducing new things but as they carry forward, other things they set up before are either forgotten or retooled. It's like an artist who's never satisfied with his work but instead of holding it back, he releases it to the public and then changes it while it's already out there and hopes that the general public can somehow unattach themselves from the thing they saw before.

Am I saying that Sonic Team are pulling a George Lucas? 

...Probably?

That's sorta been the case since Adventure 2.

5 hours ago, StaticMania said:

No he wasn't...

Officially, Omochao is just there, yes.

It's just a convenient assumption that it may have been another of Gerald's inventions due to the timing.

1 hour ago, Ernest the Panda said:

How are the little animals inside badniks able to survive?

The E-series robots each have animals inside them that would’ve been stuck in there for days on end.

Suspended animation.

10 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

One of the things that does legitimately confuse me is how things that are obvious or set-up to be a certain way are so easily changed at the drop of a hat without recognition for the confusion that doing so would cause. I kind of lump all of the examples together from something as minor as "the Wisps stayed behind on Sonic's planet because they liked it there despite never setting foot on the planet in Colors" to major ones like "Classic Sonic is now from another dimension" and "Some of Sonic's games took place in a dimension where humans are instead of the much simpler explanation of the two species co-existing".

Now, it's easy for someone to look at this and respond by saying that they don't care but, that's where I get tripped up. These decisions to constantly fuck around with the status quo of the world and it's lore don't make sense as the actions of someone who doesn't care. 

I do think Iizuka and the people over there care about this stuff.

Even the recent interview about Team Sonic Racing seemed to suggest that the inclusion of Dodon-Pa was done for the sake of expanding upon the mythos of Sonic's universe and how far-reaching it could be. The introduction of this king who's super rich and owns a company in space that farms out technology to planet's the galaxy over was something done to build upon the structure of the universe. Yet at the same time it's also the same game where Zavok returns and is, with no explanation, suddenly and willingly, doing Eggman's bidding as though what was established before no longer matters.

They clearly like setting things up and introducing new things but as they carry forward, other things they set up before are either forgotten or retooled. It's like an artist who's never satisfied with his work but instead of holding it back, he releases it to the public and then changes it while it's already out there and hopes that the general public can somehow unattach themselves from the thing they saw before.

Am I saying that Sonic Team are pulling a George Lucas? 

...Probably?

Pretty sure. Explains why characters such as Cream and the Babylon Rogues are being phased out. This explains the sheer number of retcons. And also at least George Lucas was willing to glean EU aspects, like Aayla Secura and Quinlan Vos.  They haven’t gone full Kathleen Kennedy yet, though. 

10 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Pretty sure. Explains why characters such as Cream and the Babylon Rogues are being phased out. This explains the sheer number of retcons. And also at least George Lucas was willing to glean EU aspects, like Aayla Secura and Quinlan Vos.  They haven’t gone full Kathleen Kennedy yet, though. 

They weren't phased out, they're just not seeing much use nowadays. Which was the case with the Birds anyway, so yeah.

As for Secura and Vos, at least the latter was in Revenge of the Sith already and Dave Filoni was the one directing the show with Lucas's editorial blessing or mandates on certain things.

Also, who?

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

It's just a convenient assumption that it may have been another of Gerald's inventions due to the timing.

Timing of what?

That could've been a thing, I'd always thought Tails made him.

But Tails doesn't know about Sa1's Chao gardens.

19 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

They weren't phased out, they're just not seeing much use nowadays. Which was the case with the Birds anyway, so yeah.

As for Secura and Vos, at least the latter was in Revenge of the Sith already and Dave Filoni was the one directing the show with Lucas's editorial blessing or mandates on certain things.

Also, who?

Long story: Kathleen Kennedy got rid of the EU, for one thing. 

6 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Timing of what?

His introduction, in Sonic Adventure 2.

7 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

But that's boring.

Plus, Tails has never made a proper robot outside of T-Pup, if he even counts.

1 minute ago, Miragnarok said:

Long story: Kathleen Kennedy got rid of the EU, for one thing. 

Did she now? I thought that was something they collectively did once Disney bought the franchise and decided to do the sequel trilogy.

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

His introduction, in Sonic Adventure 2.

He's in SA1.

Nothing outside of recreating the Emerald Shrine implies Gerald even knows what a Chao is or why he'd make a toy one.

Omochao doesn't even like being in space.

43 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

He's in SA1.

Wait, what?

43 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Nothing outside of recreating the Emerald Shrine implies Gerald even knows what a Chao is or why he'd make a toy one.

Omochao doesn't even like being in space.

Gerald kinda had a fetish for Echidna culture in general. See also Artificial Chaos and maybe Shadow looking like a Black Arms Super Sonic.

Plus, Mario and later Abraham were living up on the Ark as well, so it's entirely possible for something like Omochao to be created for their education/amusement.

Plus, all that Darker & Edgier stuff from SA2 was also accompanied by a robot fairy baby with two windup keys and that's just funny.

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Gerald kinda had a fetish for Echidna culture in general. See also Artificial Chaos and maybe Shadow looking like a Black Arms Super Sonic.

I know, but Chao wouldn't still be there by the time he found that stuff.

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

I know, but Chao wouldn't still be there by the time he found that stuff.

Oh yeah, I guess it was Angel Island, wasn't it? Huh.

20 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

What is Blast Processing?

Anything SEGA does that Nintendon't.

Headcanon: Blast Processing is the term for when Gamma, Eggman, or Tails-in-mecha hit multiple targets and convert those hits into "points" that keep their machines running and their missions successful.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

What is Blast Processing?

https://segaretro.org/Blast_processing

tl;dr Blast processing was a colloquial term used to refer to the Mega Drive's higher clocked CPU and faster memory bus speeds that gave it some unique hardware strengths over the SNES. It got coopted by SEGA's marketing team without really any real elaboration, which backfired on them.

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, shdowhunt60 said:

https://segaretro.org/Blast_processing

tl;dr Blast processing was a colloquial term used to refer to the Mega Drive's higher clocked CPU and faster memory bus speeds that gave it some unique hardware strengths over the SNES. It got coopted by SEGA's marketing team without really any real elaboration, which backfired on them.

Oh, that makes sense. 

Did it? 

3 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

It got coopted by SEGA's marketing team without really any real elaboration, which backfired on them.

It sounds like it processes... explosions?

• Nice Smile 1

8 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Pretty sure. Explains why characters such as Cream and the Babylon Rogues are being phased out.

To be honest, I think the Babylon Rogues were basically phased out as soon as it was decided that there wouldn't be a Sonic Riders 4. Unless there is a game I'm missing, the only stuff they've turned up in outside Riders is the Olympics games and the mobile titles.

13 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

To be honest, I think the Babylon Rogues were basically phased out as soon as it was decided that there wouldn't be a Sonic Riders 4. Unless there is a game I'm missing, the only stuff they've turned up in outside Riders is the Olympics games and the mobile titles.

Jet gets a visual reference in Black Knight's 2 player mode and in Generations trophy room, but that's about it.

4 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

it got coopted by SEGA's marketing team without really any real elaboration, which backfired on them.

What backfired exactly? Considering how the term still gets flung around today, I'd say it was a wildly successful marketing ploy.

9 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

What backfired exactly? Considering how the term still gets flung around today, I'd say it was a wildly successful marketing ploy.

It backfired when Nintendo started paying journalists to say it didn't exist, which is why Blast Processing to this day.

1 hour ago, shdowhunt60 said:

It backfired when Nintendo started paying journalists to say it didn't exist, which is why Blast Processing to this day.

Okay Ronaldo 

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Hypothetically speaking, what would Amy's ideal equivalent to Knuckles be like?

What do you mean? Like... Sonic is to Knuckles as Amy is to X?

Do you mean Amy as the guardian of Angel Island?

18 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

What do you mean? Like... Sonic is to Knuckles as Amy is to X?

Do you mean Amy as the guardian of Angel Island?

Former situation.

What would be a good contrast/rival for Amy's character?

56 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Former situation.

What would be a good contrast/rival for Amy's character?

Rework Sticks the Badger into a guardian.

While Knuckles is gullible, Sticks is crazy-paranoid. I can see Robotnik fooling her in an S3 type scenario, fueling a conspiracy theory that Amy is after the Emeralds/Time Stones/Whatever.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1