Awoo.

Your Unanswered Sonic Questions

Person

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Eh, probably because Marine's habits of talking big and traveling the ocean...

She didn't have a way to do that until the end of the game.

48 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

She didn't have a way to do that until the end of the game.

Oh really? Huh.

Guess that lends a slightly different take on her character.

I forgot Marine could do this. So...what is that? Chi manipulation? Ictiokinesis? Aerokinesis?

youtu.be-2pOMM-JYCcE.thumb.jpg.224abfd4288382e689594eef13a49906.jpg

She seems strong as heck because she knocked back the freaking Egg Wizard with that.

Apparently running into enemies in Sonic CD while in the process of activating time travel destroys them.

Why does this happen? Is it a sign that Sonic's semi-invincible or going really fast when that happens?

12 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Apparently running into enemies in Sonic CD while in the process of activating time travel destroys them.

Why does this happen? Is it a sign that Sonic's semi-invincible or going really fast when that happens?

Is this something you tested out? I've never run into an enemy while doing that.

2 hours ago, MainJP said:

I forgot Marine could do this. So...what is that? Chi manipulation? Ictiokinesis? Aerokinesis?

youtu.be-2pOMM-JYCcE.thumb.jpg.224abfd4288382e689594eef13a49906.jpg

She seems strong as heck because she knocked back the freaking Egg Wizard with that.

It's generally been interpreted as Hydrokinesis, but the glowing limelight(ha) makes it ambiguous. It's one of the reasons why it's a bit of a shame she didn't really return in any serious capacity. 

What is ictiokinesis? 

4 hours ago, MainJP said:

Is this something you tested out? I've never run into an enemy while doing that.

I saw it happen in a challenge video, they were using the original PC port, not the Taxman release.

9 hours ago, DabigRG said:

It's generally been interpreted as Hydrokinesis, but the glowing limelight(ha) makes it ambiguous. It's one of the reasons why it's a bit of a shame she didn't really return in any serious capacity. 

That's strange though...it doesn't look like water. As you said, the way it illuminates as well as the lime hue presents something different. The way it's formed around her fist makes it looks like some type of energy.

5ualEKi.gif

eHUjbnV.gif

The Sonic wiki (yeah I know, not totally reliable) says it's some kind of energy blast. That's the thing; this power could technically be anything but Hydrokinesis seems less likely.

9 hours ago, DabigRG said:

What is ictiokinesis? 

Light manipulation. If they could stop messing around with Zavok for 2 seconds and physically put Marine in another game, please, elaborate on this ability because it's interesting. Due to the fact that she knocked back an enemy Super Sonic and Burning Blaze had to team up to defeat makes Marine potentially very powerful.

6 hours ago, StaticMania said:

I saw it happen in a challenge video, they were using the original PC port, not the Taxman release.

I'll have to try it out later.

Who is responsible for the Rush characters?

6 minutes ago, MainJP said:

That's strange though...it doesn't look like water. As you said, the way it illuminates as well as the lime hue presents something different. The way it's formed around her fist makes it looks like some type of energy.

5ualEKi.gif

Yeah. The blast itself appears to be more of a turquoise color.

eHUjbnV.gif

The Sonic wiki (yeah I know, not totally reliable) says it's some kind of energy blast. That's the thing; this power could technically be anything but Hydrokinesis seems less likely.

Pretty much.

Light manipulation.

Oh, of course.

If they could stop messing around with Zavok for 2 seconds and physically put Marine in another game, please, elaborate on this ability because it's interesting. Due to the fact that she knocked back an enemy Super Sonic and Burning Blaze had to team up to defeat makes Marine potentially very powerful.

:lol: 

It really does make you wonder.

3 minutes ago, MainJP said:

The main argument for it being water is nominative determinism. Sonic is as fast as sound, Knuckles has big knuckle spikes, Blaze controls fire, so Marine should clearly have a connection to water. Granted she already does otherwise, living on an island, being introduced in a game about sea travel, and having aspirations of being a captain, so it's not necessary to justify her name...but then it's a bit weird to make a character so closely tied to the sea and then give her a power that doesn't relate to it at all. Personally I figure it's water and its appearance is just due to SRA having pretty rough-looking cutscenes, but we can't know for sure until/unless Sega suddenly starts giving a shit about her.

On 12/9/2019 at 9:26 AM, StaticMania said:

Here's the Mega CD version. I assume this happens in every version.

Jq0vBow.gif

He just runs fast enough to demolish them I guess.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, so I'm back doing my occasional Sonic Adventure 2 check up and just trying to piece together the whole "Project Shadow" mystery.

Long story short, what I want to know is, how did the Biolizard's color scheme end up being red and black?

Now hear me out. I've recently also started to look back on Shadow the Hedgehog's (the game) origin story. Apparently from that game's telling of Shadow's origin story, it was Black Doom who gave Shadow his blood in order for the immortality project aka Project Shadow that Professor Gerald was working on to become a success. And thus, Shadow's color scheme became black and red to reflect the fact he's part of the Black Arms alien race.

Now what I don't get is.... how is it that the Biolizard also has the same color scheme? He's not mentioned at all in Shadow the Hedgehog (the game) conveniently enough. Also, the Biolizard was the first creation for Project Shadow, and it's heavily implied in Sonic Adventure 2 that that project was squarely referencing Perfect Chaos for inspiration (Perfect Chaos is also immortal, reptilian, heavily connected with Chaos Emeralds, and a watery giant), but in Shadow the Hedgehog (the game), they make it seem like Shadow was made first (if not the only creation since apparently he was "born" from the deal Gerald and Black Doom made together). Another thing to note is that, based on the project report papers Rouge was shoving Shadow's face in in SA2, it clearly shows the Biolizard with the same black and red color scheme (the page she's holding is in black and white but you can tell the underside of the Biolizard is still black and his top half is red) and that the project reads that the immortality goal (It's "eternal engine") was a success. And another thing to note is that it's all being powered up by Chaos Drives (those same little shards you see come out of Artificial Chaos when you destroy them in the Ark levels, telling the player that's how all Gerald creations function).... telling me that the Biolizard was already immortal, was functioning on something else entirely, and was ultimately red and black before Black Arm aliens came into the picture. 

For me, it always seemed like Shadow the Hedgehog (the game) retconned SA2, but I never really delved deep into the game until recently because things were just not adding up for me based on what both games were telling me the more I started paying attention. So here I am now. I don't know If I'd get an answer but it's just something I wanted to share.

3 hours ago, StriCNYN3 said:

Alright, so I'm back doing my occasional Sonic Adventure 2 check up and just trying to piece together the whole "Project Shadow" mystery.

Long story short, what I want to know is, how did the Biolizard's color scheme end up being red and black?

Now hear me out. I've recently also started to look back on Shadow the Hedgehog's (the game) origin story. Apparently from that game's telling of Shadow's origin story, it was Black Doom who gave Shadow his blood in order for the immortality project aka Project Shadow that Professor Gerald was working on to become a success. And thus, Shadow's color scheme became black and red to reflect the fact he's part of the Black Arms alien race.

Now what I don't get is.... how is it that the Biolizard also has the same color scheme? He's not mentioned at all in Shadow the Hedgehog (the game) conveniently enough. Also, the Biolizard was the first creation for Project Shadow, and it's heavily implied in Sonic Adventure 2 that that project was squarely referencing Perfect Chaos for inspiration (Perfect Chaos is also immortal, reptilian, heavily connected with Chaos Emeralds, and a watery giant), but in Shadow the Hedgehog (the game), they make it seem like Shadow was made first (if not the only creation since apparently he was "born" from the deal Gerald and Black Doom made together). Another thing to note is that, based on the project report papers Rouge was shoving Shadow's face in in SA2, it clearly shows the Biolizard with the same black and red color scheme (the page she's holding is in black and white but you can tell the underside of the Biolizard is still black and his top half is red) and that the project reads that the immortality goal (It's "eternal engine") was a success. And another thing to note is that it's all being powered up by Chaos Drives (those same little shards you see come out of Artificial Chaos when you destroy them in the Ark levels, telling the player that's how all Gerald creations function).... telling me that the Biolizard was already immortal, was functioning on something else entirely, and was ultimately red and black before Black Arm aliens came into the picture. 

For me, it always seemed like Shadow the Hedgehog (the game) retconned SA2, but I never really delved deep into the game until recently because things were just not adding up for me based on what both games were telling me the more I started paying attention. So here I am now. I don't know If I'd get an answer but it's just something I wanted to share.

The Biolizard looked more orange than anything.

The overall vibe I got is that they wanted a more compact, self-sustaining Ultimate Life Form and the Biolizard is neither.

@StaticManiaI guess that's where they could've started it all from for the project, but what I'm trying to get at is Shadow the Hedgehog (the game) makes it seem like Black Arms started it all, but the timeline where all the events take place don't seem to suggest that being possible.

@DabigRG Yup, that's what the Project Shadow reports imply, that the Biolizard got waaaay too big for it's own good. Well, I should say that it is self sustaining in a sense though, since it did manage to live on it's own for 50 years while completely abandoned in space. It just can't crawl well and out of that yellow solution it sits in before immediately swelling up, but it still can chaos warp to places just fine. 

There's also a perfect guide book for SA2 (Still trying to find this damn thing for myself online though) where Rouge apparently actually goes into more detail about what happened with the Biolizard, the Ark and everything, explaining how the Biolizard got too out of hand at points of testing on top of the other limitations it had which led Gerald to eventually start making Shadow.

In Sa2's last Story, Gerald even says "Based on the original data, I have finally perfected Shadow", telling me that Shadow mostly got everything, like his eternal engine that makes him immortal, his specially made organs that allows him to perform Chaos Control, and even his red and black color scheme, from the Biolizard, not whatever that was going on in Shadow the Hedgehog (the game).

On 12/11/2019 at 12:32 PM, MainJP said:

Here's the Mega CD version. I assume this happens in every version.

Jq0vBow.gif

He just runs fast enough to demolish them I guess.

I knew about that, I discoveret it myself while running through Quartz Quadrant (if I remember).

That was the first step to the modern boost, people don't believe me when I say it.

I did it in the remake, and I was not sure if it was possible in the original game or not... so this is the confirmation that it has always been possible in all the versions of the game.

I miss having a top speed gimmick that rewards you for keeping the flow; as long as the level design is done well, having a boost-like move doesn't make a game "boost to win", Sonic CD is the proof of that.

1 hour ago, StriCNYN3 said:

It just can't crawl well and out of that yellow solution it sits in before immediately swelling up, but it still can chaos warp to places just fine. 

Wait, what? This is the first time I'm hearing this.

7 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Wait, what? This is the first time I'm hearing this.

@DabigRG Oh yea, when you read the project report it says that the Biolizard can successfully Chaos Control warp due the specially made organs it has (and that's the first thing it does as Sonic and Knuckles tries to reach for the emerald shine in the Ark's core before Shadow steps in). It just sucks at walking and is extremely sensitive to temperature and humidity changes which is why I'd suspect the swelling would start happening to him like when he's in space like in his Finalhazard phase (albeit his life support system was busted at that point too). 

3pPliHm.png

12 minutes ago, StriCNYN3 said:

@DabigRG Oh yea, when you read the project report it says that the Biolizard can successfully Chaos Control warp due the specially made organs it has (and that's the first thing it does as Sonic and Knuckles tries to reach for the emerald shine in the Ark's core before Shadow steps in). It just sucks at walking and is extremely sensitive to temperature and humidity changes which is why I'd suspect the swelling would start happening to him like when he's in space like in his Finalhazard phase (albeit his life support system was busted at that point too). 

3pPliHm.png

Man, that thing was more crippled that I thought.

Poor guy.

Yea haha. It's a shame he has all this stuff like laser canons and energy balls... but it has no legs. It's just has little fins where his legs should be. Unless he somehow lost them, I can kiiiinda see why he wasn't quite the perfect version of the ultimate life form Gerald was looking for.

3 minutes ago, StriCNYN3 said:

Yea haha. It's a shame he has all this stuff like laser canons and energy balls... but it has no legs. It's just has little fins where his legs should be. Unless he somehow lost them, I can kiiiinda see why he wasn't quite the perfect version of the ultimate life form Gerald was looking for.

Weren't those balls said to be eggs or something?

Oh, I was more in line talking about those purple energy balls he spits out, but yea he does have those, too (I honestly didn't even register those pink balls as eggs until literally yesterday, too) Apparently that's how the lizard was supposed to asexually reproduce, too on top of weaponizing them.

I'm sure I asked something like this before, but did Unleashed do well financially?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What was up with those ribbon things around Mazuri's Temple of Gaia?

Apparently, SEGA may have lost the license to the original Hedgehog Engine which necessitated the creation of the Hedgehog Engine 2. Is there any truth to this?

14 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Apparently, SEGA may have lost the license to the original Hedgehog Engine which necessitated the creation of the Hedgehog Engine 2. Is there any truth to this?

None whatsoever.

The Hedgehog Engine was built in-house, and wholly owned by SEGA. The HE2 a newer version of the same engine, more suited to current hardware.

• Thumbs Up 1