Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

I actually quite enjoyed Sonic Chronicles.

Sure, it was no grand story-heavy adventure, nor was it as charming as the Mario RPGs, but I really liked it for what it was rather than what it should've been. The battle system was engaging, the maps, though simple, were fun to explore for collectables, and it was great to see some characters who have been neglected recently to have a more prominent role, whether in the story, action, or both. My two main complaints would be the ending (nice twist, but everything else felt a bit...rushed?) and the really tacky-looking comic-panel cutscenes. Still, I think it's a rather enjoyable game and definitely wouldn't mind playing it again.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Opinion: As someone who is a fan of Pontaff's writing, I really do not like Shattered Crystal's writing.

I sat through the entire video, even had to go over some parts twice. It felt like the gags and jokes in the game dragged on too long. I got a few laughs out of it yes and I liked how the characters felt like friends (though they felt more like friends in RoL), however there were times where I had to question what was going on. In the cutscenes, it would have a great time to go into the adventure itself and what you have to do, but it spends most of it's time telling jokes that don't make any sense and reminding us that we are playing a video game. Also, the literal spins on words is over done (ie: Sonic: Lyric is assembling an army to do his dirty work; Sticks: You mean like doing laundry and cleaning rain gutters?; Knuckles: doing laundry? cleaning rain gutters? Does Lyric's evil know no limits?) and so is the misuse of words (ie: Tails' who lurks in the shadows?; Sonic: it's Shadow!; Tails: that's irony)

Of course we also got this sexual innuendo:

cbd9d3321e73df4456985ba0272fd7cc.png

0f57e265ba296adfac2c1ee6bdd58789.png

Also, I didn't get to see the whole extent of Lyric's motivations. It's a shame because he was kinda interesting. I would have loved to know more about his history and see more of his personality. I would have loved to learn more about the adventure itself, like why is Amy so interested in the ancient ruins or learn a little about the background history behind it. In the game, it's pretty much mentioned in bits in pieces, as if we were reading a manual. The game didn't really feel like I going on an adventure with Sonic and friends. It felt like I was watching Grown Ups 2, Sonic style. 

And it's sad because I like Lost World's writing and then they make..... this.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Mikgenes said:

(ie: Sonic: Lyric is assembling an army to do his dirty work; Sticks: You mean like doing laundry and cleaning rain gutters?; Knuckles: doing laundry? cleaning rain gutters? Does Lyric's evil know no limits?)

...I uhh kinda liked that joke, it wasn't like a 5 hour joke, reading the subtitles takes no more than 30 seconds but that joke is sorta saved by Knux being a goofball with it. 

And I didn't even know the piece of meat joke is an innuendo, I thought Boom Knux thought Amy thought very low of him and him finding that great made it weird but this is slightly less yet more weird.

And while I do agree that the dialogue is for the most part pretty lame, it's probably just as lame as Colors' dialogue in some cases, but hey, atleast they got Shadow right or was that the effort of Tin Guerrero, after all he too also wrote Shattered Crystal's story.

I got a opinion that might be very unpopular: I don't care about physics.  When I was playing sonic and knuckles a few months back, i was having a blast, and not once did I think, "I wish modern sonic games have these physics".  When I play sonic adventure 1 and 2, i play them for fun, not for physics.  When I played sonic unleashed for wii, i was having a lot of fun, but again, i wasn't thinking about physics.  I might get a lot a hate for this, but I play the sonic games because I like the games' gameplay, stories, and chacters, not because of physics.

Just now, Silly name the animal said:

I got a opinion that might be very unpopular: I don't care about physics.  When I was playing sonic and knuckles a few months back, i was having a blast, and not once did I think, "I wish modern sonic games have these physics".  When I play sonic adventure 1 and 2, i play them for fun, not for physics.  When I played sonic unleashed for wii, i was having a lot of fun, but again, i wasn't thinking about physics.  I might get a lot a hate for this, but I play the sonic games because I like the games' gameplay, stories, and chacters, not because of physics.

Well, crappy physics can ruin a game. However, if you mean you don't care if a game has Genesis-style physics, then I agree 100%. They're great physics, but I don't need them to enjoy a Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 4

Unpopular opinion ahead:

In my opinion, the voice acting in the Dreamcast/Gamecube era was terrible. Bad directions and overall bad performance. The recent Sonic games have had some of the best voice acting I have ever heard.

EDIT: Oh, and Sonic Lost World is flawed, there's no denying it but it's really underrated. You really need to give it a chance (the HD version that is. The 3DS version of Lost World is atrocious.)

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Dashman said:

Unpopular opinion ahead:

In my opinion, the voice acting in the Dreamcast/Gamecube era was terrible. Bad directions and overall bad performance. The recent Sonic games have had some of the best voice acting I have ever heard.

EDIT: Oh, and Sonic Lost World is flawed, there's no denying it but it's really underrated. You really need to give it a chance

I actually think the voice acting in Heroes was pretty good. The problem was the incredibly cheesy lines some (okay, most) of the actors had to say. Adventure 1 and 2 were pure crap in the voice acting department, though, with only a couple decent performances in the latter (which you can barely hear).

• Thumbs Up 3

Not sure if unpopular: I was never really fond of Sonic X. I just didn't like it and I didn't think it was good. AoSTH, and Sonic Boom are much better Sonic cartoons in my honest opinion.

Edit: Before anyone jumps on me about SatAM, I have never seen it

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Dashman said:

Not sure if unpopular: I was never really fond of Sonic X. I just didn't like it and I didn't think it was good. AoSTH, and Sonic Boom are much better Sonic cartoons in my honest opinion.

Edit: Before anyone jumps on me about SatAM, I have never seen it

SatAM, as a cartoon in general, is pretty good, but I don't think it makes a particularly good Sonic cartoon.

Which is ironic, since early concept art from a while back pretty much showed it wasn't initially going to be a Sonic show. 

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Silly name the animal said:

I am understanding the specific meaning behind your post.

But just to say, physics are one of the many things that make up the "game-play" and they do influence how the player feel about how a game controls. Depending on what type of game you're playing of course.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I am understanding the specific meaning behind your post.

But just to say, physics are one of the many things that make up the "game-play" and they do influence how the player feel about how a game controls. Depending on what type of game you're playing of course.

That's true, but genesis style physics aren't a deal breaker for me.  I just play a game because I like the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can live if the physics aren't 100% like the originals. It may make it less fun in some cases, but it isn't always a deal breaker. I thought Sonic 4 was decent enough because of this.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 27 February 2016 at 5:58 PM, Hyper Enesephus said:

Well, crappy physics can ruin a game. However, if you mean you don't care if a game has Genesis-style physics, then I agree 100%. They're great physics, but I don't need them to enjoy a Sonic game.

Completely agree with this. I very rarely find physics to be a major problem in Sonic games. Sure, the Genesis classics had excellent physics, but so does Sonic Generations IMO, especially with the simplified spin dash. I'd even say I enjoy Sonic 4 despite the strange physics. The only game to mind that strikes me as having game-ruining physics is Shadow the Hedgehog, due to slipperiness, however I think it's largely also the level design that ruins that game (high speed, slippery collectathons, what could go wrong?)

• Thumbs Up 1

I enjoy Sonic Lost World (Wii U)

Yeah, it's a polarizing title for many, but I enjoyed my playthrough of it. I actually played it twice. I don't mind the inclusion of a run button, and I like the overall asthetics of the game.

Some levels get on my nerves, I'm not gonna lie. Especially the really gimmicky ones like the snowball stage but overall, I found a heck of a lot of enjoyment out of it.

• Thumbs Up 7

Unpopular opinion: I not only like the Classic Sonic gameplay in Sonic Generations, but i actually prefer it to Modern Sonic's gameplay. I think it has better controls, a better balance of speed and platforming, does more cool things with the level design, like making the GUN truck a recurring hazard in Classic City Escape, and is just more focused (that is, it's entirely 2D, while Modern Sonic feels the need to be both 3D and 2D despite Classic Sonic being in the game). Also, I feel like I actually have to work a bit more to keep my speed than with Modern Sonic and his boost, despite Classic Sonic's OP spindash.

Overall, I love the Classic gameplay in Generations, and I definitely wouldn't mind seeing it return in future titles.

Unpopular...opinion (uh, one bit's an opinion, the first is more a statement) time! They're related, and it's all working in hypotheticals, not something that I think will ever happen.

-If Fang was re-introduced to the games, it'd be as a lone villain, not as part of a team. I've got a list of reasons for this;

1. Fang, Bean and Bark have no association with each other, aside from appearing in the same game. By that logic, you could make a team with Tails, Bean and Bark and the association would be just as logical. You could say that it was because they were villains in the game...but Bean and Bark weren't given any alignment. Sonic Team let AAUK make the Bean and Bark poster have Wanted on it, but then since they're not in the game franchise they probably don't really care if their alignment is preserved. If those two were introduced, I'd wonder if they would keep in mind that Bean is an homage and keep him as a protagonist like his inspiration (but that one is more opinion). If anything, a team consisting of Bean, Bark and Honey would be most likely as they all originated in that game and share thematic links to the arcade experience.

2. Sonic the Fighters was one game which, from the perspective of Fang's origin, was essentially outsourced. In every Aspect Co and Game Gear game (aka Triple Trouble, Sonic Drift 2 and Tails Adventure) he was portrayed on his own, and even Sonic X-Treme, which while eventually cancelled was going to be essentially a main game, considered Fang a lone entity. Considering that they'll probably recognise those over StF, that'll be the kind of presentation they'd go with. 

3. The games even now have a habit of grouping characters based on creators. The classic four heroes were made by Sonic Team staff, the Chaotix were by Sonic Team staff while working on a branch, Team Rose essentially covers the light-hearted part of the Adventure era, Team Dark covers SA2, Blaze and Silver (and Cream when she's there) cover the Rush/Rivals/06 era, Babylons are their own team [the only exception is Eggman's posse when Metal Sonic is depicted with Orbot and Cubot...but thinking on it even that's rare. It's usually either/or]. So in that sense, Fang would logically be alone as the other villains of his era and platform were all big groups that he couldn't blend into anyway. 

And the related opinion; I think it'd be better if Fang was a lone villain [if he was reintroduced in the games] as opposed to part of a team. When it comes to the roster in general, most characters are either in a concrete team (as much as some fans talk of Knuckles' inclusion being counter to his stated goals and Amy fitting more as a third member, the Triple Threat isn't budging any time soon, and also Chaotix and the Babylon Rogues) or can be shuffled around to make fairly consistent teams (basically anyone else on the protagonist side). It'd make a change for someone who just can't fit anywhere and absolutely has a niche as a lone wolf.

But as I said, these are hypotheticals. I don't particularly want them to come back so ehhhhhhhhh. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't see how Sonic CD has bad level design. This is probably quite an unpopular opinion but I think the time travel system is part of the challenge. In each stage you can find places that are made for getting enough speed and time to enter different time dimension. To me it is one of the most enjoyable games.

2 minutes ago, BlueFlare said:

I don't see how Sonic CD has bad level design. This is probably quite an unpopular opinion but I think the time travel system is part of the challenge. In each stage you can find places that are made for enough getting enough speed and time to enter different time dimension.

The only stage in Sonic CD I can say I thought was poorly designed was Wacky Workbench. That level is just a pain to get through if you want to time travel.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

The only stage in Sonic CD I can say I thought was poorly designed was Wacky Workbench. That level is just a pain to get through if you want to time travel.

Ah yes, I totally agree with you. I was going say that but I'm typing with my phone and it's so sloooow and quite a struggle sometimes it makes me frustrated. :P 

• Thumbs Up 1

Unpopular opinion: I think Sonic Generations is a mediocre game.

I enjoy it, yes. However, I feel that it is mediocre at it's best. I was tired of the boost when this game came along and classic Sonic never captured the charm of the genesis games. The final boss was shitty at it's core, the other characters were useless plot devices and the story was lore wank. While it had a lot of nice aspects to it and I don't consider it horrible, from a certain standpoint, it is not a good game either.  

The story was lore wank? I don't get that. We got a couple of call-out moments but for the most part it was far more conservative with the references to the past than most people were expecting. 

The story stopped referencing old games after Chemical Plant. Hardly what I would consider "Lore-Wank".

As blatantly incomplete as it was, I would hardly call it lore wank as well. That would actually require Pontac and Graff to know what the lore was in the first place.

(though to be fair, it's not like we really know either)

43 minutes ago, Ducktor Naldush Repulsa said:

The story stopped referencing old games after Chemical Plant. Hardly what I would consider "Lore-Wank".

At most, you could see the Robotnik gag as a nod to lore, but I don't know if that even applies to all regions.