Awoo.

So That Poll That Resulted in ShTH...

Blue Blood

I'm not sure who I'd have voted for. I liked Tails, Knuckles and Shadow all equally so I just wanted another game starring them all. =p

Wow, cheers Hogfather. I was searching around Sonic Cult and such, but the SRB2 forums didn't even cross my mind. I used to hand out there.

Cult would have been my first port of call. However there's gotta be mention of it on some of the lesser known sonic fansites that are around. TSS probably did have something on it... thank you server deletion.... however what about sites like The Sonic Factory? Sonic HQ? Sonic the Comic online, Heck even the 4kids forums (if they still exist).

Older lesser popular forums which havn't had many updates are most likely to have it since I doubt they have a forum prune active. Popular sites like Gamespot are less likely to have the items since I can't find many pages about the announcement of Shadows game.

So I found the poll... .. .. .. Are you ready to laugh your heads off....

Of the characters listed below, which one would you most like to see starring in a new game?

Miles "Tails" Prower

Knuckles the Echidna

Shadow the Hedgehog

Dr. Eggman

If a game was developed based on these characters, which game name would you like best?

Tails: The Flight of the Fox

The Adventures of Tails

Tails the Two-tailed Fox

Sonic and Tails

Tails and the Giant Machine

Knuckles the Echidna

Knuckles: The Red Warrior

Knuckles: City of Chaos

The Adventures of Knuckles

Knuckles: Fury Fists

Shadow: Renegade Hedgehog

Shadow: Rebel with a Cause

Shadow the Hedgehog

Shadow the Hedgehog: Chaos Unleashed!

Shadow: Sonic's Nemesis

Dr. Eggman Strikes Again!

Dr. Eggman and the Lost Emeralds

Dr. Eggman: Robotnik's Revenge

Dr. Eggman: Out of Control

Dr. Eggman: The World's Not Enough

Source: http://shmups.system...c.php?f=3&t=787

Excuse me I'm laughing too much to comment.

But those Dr Eggman games sound epic... also this one is kinda interesting... "Dr. Eggman: Robotnik's Revenge"

*Looks around* Anyone seen Barry? I'm expecting a photoshop of Eggman in a James Bond movie poster by the end of the week.

Seriously, why the hell didn't that win!?

Bonus points if someone comes up with a Dr Eggman the world's not enough bond theme!

• Thumbs Up 9

Kinda wish we had gotten Renegade Hedgehog or Rebel With a Cause as the subtitle for Shadow. That just would have pushed the game straight into so bad it's the pinnacle of the series territory.

• Thumbs Up 1

At the time, I would of voted for Shadow, mainly because his gameplay was more similar to Sonic's.

Edited by Pumpkin Head Ghost

Again, thank you so much! I'm sure that's not the full thing, but it's definitely some of most important questions. Brilliant stuff.

Nearly all of the ungeneric names sound like titles of bad fanfics....in fact. Im going to go search to see how many fanfics are actually titled under these names.

• Thumbs Up 5

Knuckles the Echidna

We could've had this. But we got Shadow instead.

*facedesk*

I hate you people intensely.

Pffthahahahaha! They would've fucked it up anyway

tongue.png at least a character I don't like has this embarrassment under his belt rather than my husbandu...

Edited by -The Joker-

Nearly all of the ungeneric names sound like titles of bad fanfics....in fact. Im going to go search to see how many fanfics are actually titled under these names.

I need links if you find any

• Thumbs Up 1

I voted for Shadow. Today, I would still vote for Shadow. I'd just spam the hell out of them, telling them what not to do.

Oh my god... Oh my god! OH MY GOD! This is officially my new favourite thread on SSMB ever!

Sprong did an article on this pol.It more or less confirms without a doubt that this is the official list. But what I love are the comments. Particually the second one...

Tell you what, I'll never forgive fanboys/girls under 13 if they make a new spinoff game on Shadow.

The sad thing is, it's pretty much inevitable now, if SEGA indeed do plan to make a spinoff on one character.

Yuji Naka constantly talks about "listening to the fans". Although that is pretty much debatable, exactly who in the hell are SEGA of America listening to, if this survey's anything to go by?

It was never a questionnaire to see what "fans really want" anyway. It's too closed-ended and driven towards an inevitable "We ARE going to make a spinoff game". Cheers SEGA. Really listening.

Comment posted by... Svend DreadknuxJoscelyne.

Hur hur... Hur... haha... AHAHAHAHAHAHARRRR!!!

Me: This is the greatest day of SSMB.

Dreadknux: Stop laughing members!

Me: We can't stop laughing!

Edit: Suddenly, that banner which appeared on TSS when shadows game was announced which said 'The N00bs wanted it... and now we've got it!' makes tons of sense.

• Thumbs Up 7

Again, thank you so much! I'm sure that's not the full thing, but it's definitely some of most important questions. Brilliant stuff.

I'm sure it was only as brief as that. The polls on SEGA's old site were always very brief.

If I saw this, I probably would have voted for Tails.

Today...probably still Tails, though I would be interested in a Knuckles game.

To be fair guys, they probably would have fucked up whoever was the start of the game anyway, so it's a lose-lose situation.

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm sure it was only as brief as that. The polls on SEGA's old site were always very brief.

You know... looking at the poll again... Check out these ones...

Tails: The Flight of the Fox

Tails and the Giant Machine

Knuckles: City of Chaos

Dr. Eggman and the Lost Emeralds

Now... unless this poll was made simply in a board room and with no input from Sonic team or at least SOJ, then what I'm about to say isn't likely.

But if it did. Then at some point during the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era. Someone at Sega was seriously coming up with a pitch along those lines, juding by the titles, a story is likely to be with them.

Think about it.

Tails Flight of the Fox implies some kind of flying game, possibly in the tornado or even just him flying. Tails and the Giant Machine... well kinda obvious... a big machine. Tails is a mechanic/technical expert now.

knuckles: City of Chaos, something set in a city or a city that has something which is going to impact greatly on the world (remember this is the start of the 'monster of the week' period of Sonic.

And the Eggman games. The lost emeralds... could this have been an early Sol emeralds idea? The implication of them being lost implies that there was going to be more than 7 at one point long before the Sol emeralds were announced for Sonic Rush. The world is not enough. unless they were going to do something along the lines of the James Bond movie... early idea for Sonic Colours? *shrugs*

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey you know how Iizuka loves Shadow so much? Says he's his favorite character and whatnot?

Um.

Edited by -The Joker-

Old ideas do get reused all the time and I heard a rumor once that Colors was a idea they had around but were afraid of executing. so its possible.

I think one of the names should've been "Knuckles: Unlike Sonic I Don't Chuckle" :P would've fit right in, those names suck... (except the Eggman ones coincidentally) =D

• Thumbs Up 1

I absolutely LOVE Dreadknux's comment there:

Tell you what, I'll never forgive fanboys/girls under 13 if they make a new spinoff game on Shadow.

The sad thing is, it's pretty much inevitable now, if SEGA indeed do plan to make a spinoff on one character.

Yuji Naka constantly talks about "listening to the fans". Although that is pretty much debatable, exactly who in the hell are SEGA of America listening to, if this survey's anything to go by?

It was never a questionnaire to see what "fans really want" anyway. It's too closed-ended and driven towards an inevitable "We ARE going to make a spinoff game". Cheers SEGA. Really listening.

It so perfectly channels the thought process of the Sonic community back in 2005, where everyone was disappointed that Heroes, the first new Sonic game after a myriad of ports and collections, was a horrible mess. Shadow was insanely popular back then. I'd only really been a part of things online since before Heroes was released, and having never played SA2 (or even SA1 at that stage) didn't get the fuss about him.

Everybody hated the extended cast back then.

Everybody thought Heroes' story sucked.

Everybody wanted Sonic to go back to his roots.

SEGA 'listening' to the 'fans' back then is kind of what shaped Unleashed, Colours and Generations in the long run. Heroes is when the series started to stumble, and ShTH crushed it. You know when critics rant about the cast, rant about the story and refuse to forget the dark days? SEGA is to blame for their horrible management of their flagship series. They ignored Sonic fans everywhere and heeded only the kids.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 9

You know, you could take absolutely everything Sega has done in every possible direction and blame it on them "listening to the fans" because there's so god damned many of us with conflicting opinions that it's pretty much impossible to pick an outline and not crash into somebody's clamour.

• Thumbs Up 4

You know, you could take absolutely everything Sega has done in every possible direction and blame it on them "listening to the fans" because there's so god damned many of us with conflicting opinions that it's pretty much impossible to pick an outline and not crash into somebody's clamour.

The thing is, these days SEGA are making good decisions based on what they're getting from the fans, both young and old. Back with the days of this poll, they'd clearly decided to listen only to the "fanboys/girls under 13", or they totally misunderstood the older fanbase. Older =/= wants guns, swears and dark stories. '06 was first shown off at E3 2005, the same sort of time as ShTH (... short development time much?) so they clearly were still gunning for the same thing then before the re-evaluated the series afterwards.

• Thumbs Up 1

The thing is, these days SEGA are making good decisions based on what they're getting from the fans, both young and old. Back with the days of this poll, they'd clearly decided to listen only to the "fanboys/girls under 13", or they totally misunderstood the older fanbase. Older =/= wants guns, swears and dark stories. '06 was first shown off at E3 2005, the same sort of time as ShTH (... short development time much?) so they clearly were still gunning for the same thing then before the re-evaluated the series afterwards.

Figure out which portion of your target audience you should listen to:

Business 101, folks! ^______^

• Thumbs Up 2