Awoo.

Young Justice

Johnny Boy

So literally the same thing that happened to Spectacular Spider-Man just happened to two more shows, one of which had the same lead voice actor, and the other of which had the same lead writer?

So for those of us keeping score at home that's three amazing super hero show that got canned before their third season.

Just tell me that Tron Uprising survived, and I think that I'll still be able to manage. If that dies I'm gonna demand some kind of frequent failure miles from whoever keeps killing off my favorite shows, and some of the last remnants of art and storytelling, let alone entertainment to be found in western animation with them.

Edited by SonicShoe

So literally the same thing that happened to Spectacular Spider-Man just happened to two more shows, one of which had the same lead voice actor, and the other of which had the same lead writer?

So for those of us keeping score at home that's three amazing super hero show that got canned before their third season.

Just tell me that Tron Uprising survived, and I think that I'll still be able to manage. If that dies I'm gonna demand some kind of frequent failure miles from whoever keeps killing off my favorite shows, and some of the last remnants of art and storytelling, let alone entertainment to be found in western animation with them.

Ummm.... about that. I'm positive that got taken off along with Motorcity.

Edit: Forgot to post this sometime ago but enjoy the replacement Teen Titans "remixed" theme.

Edited by Balding Spider

Ummm.... about that. I'm positive that got taken off along with Motorcity.

Edit: Forgot to post this sometime ago but enjoy the replacement Teen Titans "remixed" theme.

oh...

this is...

this looks great! for a fan-made flash animation tribute.

It's a joke dude. Pretty sure something as random and silly as that isn't something to take seriously...

• 7 months later...

BUMP

The videogame has finally been released and it showcases what happened between seasons 1 & 2. I doubt it'll do much, but at least we'll get to experience one last adventure with these characters.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had such a lack of interest in live action TV shows that I'm not sure I'd have the attention span to watch it...

• 3 weeks later...

You messed up the link, dude. Lemme fix that for you.

DINI: "They're all for boys 'we do not want the girls', I mean, I've heard executives say this, you know, not [where I am] but at other places, saying like, 'We do not want girls watching this show."

SMITH: "WHY? That's 51% of the population."

DINI: "They. Do. Not. Buy. Toys. The girls buy different toys. The girls may watch the show—"

SMITH: "So you can sell them T-shirts if they don't—A: I disagree, I think girls buy toys as well, I mean not as many as f***ing boys do, but, B: sell them something else, man! Don't be lazy and be like, 'well I can't sell a girl a toy.' Sell 'em a T-shirt, man, sell them f***ing umbrella with the f***ing character on it, something like that. But if it's not a toy, there's something else you could sell 'em! Like, just because you can't figure out your job, don't kill chances of, like, something that's gonna reach an audi—that's just so self-defeating, when people go, like… these are the same fuckers who go, like, 'Oh, girls don't read comics, girls aren't into comics.' It's all self-fulfilling prophecies. They just make it that way, by going like, 'I can't sell 'em a toy, what's the point?'

DINI: "That's the thing, you know I hate being Mr. Sour Grapes here, but I'll just lay it on the line: that's the thing that got us cancelled on Tower Prep, honest-to-God was, like, 'we need boys, but we need girls right there, right one step behind the boys'—this is the network talking—'one step behind the boys, not as smart as the boys, not as interesting as the boys, but right there.' And then we began writing stories that got into the two girls' back stories, and they were really interesting. And suddenly we had families and girls watching, and girls really became a big part of our audience, in sort of like they picked up that Harry Potter type of serialized way, which is what The Batman and [indistinct]'s really gonna kill. But, the Cartoon Network was saying, 'F***, no, we want the boys' action, it's boys' action, this goofy boy humor we've gotta get that in there. And we can't—'and I'd say, but look at the numbers, we've got parents watching, with the families, and then when you break it down—'Yeah, but the—so many—we've got too many girls. We need more boys.'"

SMITH: "That's heart-breaking."

DINI: "And then that's why they cancelled us, and they put on a show called Level Up, which is, you know, goofy nerds fighting CG monsters. It's like, 'We don't want the girls because the girls won't buy toys.' We had a whole… we had a whole, a merchandise line for Tower Prep that they s***canned before it ever got off the launching pad, because it's like, 'Boys, boys, boys. Boys buy the little spinny tops, they but the action figures, girls buy princesses, we're not selling princesses.'"

This is very pathetic, honestly. If you want girls to buy 'boys' toys, why not advertise girls playing with the toys? Such a sexist and ridiculous reason to kill such a good show, goddamn executives having fear of cooties.

• Thumbs Up 6

"Girls don't buy the toys" more like their bigot parent only buy them barbies and shit and if they ask for those toys they say "Those are for boys".

And go fuck yourself, people watch the show for the fucking show, not your crappily maufactuared cheap plastic figures. You already make money off the obnoxious ads you spam every 15 minutes.

• Thumbs Up 5

So let me get this straight. Because apparently more girls than boys were interested in the show, Cartoon Network saw fit to axe it?

Someone please, see to it that Hasbro and the Hub get ahold of this information; they deserve a good laugh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Of all the fu- really?

We lost a 3rd season because executives want to keep a dated status quo and refuse to see girls as equal, in a period where women are trying to break out of that girly mold and become as flexible as boys? For fucks sake, have shows like Legend of Korra and Friendship is Magic not shown anything?

My god, and I thought they couldn't stoop any lower!

That is the biggest piece of crap I have ever heard of in my life. Tower Prep(a meh show) got cancelled because girls were watching it? Now Young Justice and probably green lantern for that same reason? CN your full of crap cause by that logic adventure time and regular show(2 cartoons that the main characters are male) should get cancelled since it has female fans

Of all the fu- really?

We lost a 3rd season because executives want to keep a dated status quo and refuse to see girls as equal, in a period where women are trying to break out of that girly mold and become as flexible as boys? For fucks sake, have shows like Legend of Korra and Friendship is Magic not shown anything?

My god, and I thought they couldn't stoop any lower!

Hell, Disney's known what to do with said concept with shows like Kim Possible.

What do you do when you find that a massive population who is NOT your primary target audience reveals their interest/love/devotion and whatnot of your show? Y'know, the news that your show has accomplished larger support than you imagined or just plain didn't see coming.

You DO NOT just try to follow and enforce some "word of god" gender/race/niche Status Quo that can only really hurt your viewership. *Cough*Spidey Braintrust saying that Peter Parker fans will 'fade away' from the comics with Superior Spider-man in effect*cough.

Here's what you do: You fucking revel at the announcement of such news and continue the show, but now knowing that you have a broader audience worth your consideration.

In fact, didn't Cartoon Network themselves sort of jump start the idea of "gender exclusive" show/franchise concepts managing to apply and appeal to broader audiences with Power Puff Girls in the first place? Talk about a 180.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's like Cartoon Network decided to adapt Nick's policy of screwing over shows with periphery demographics of older/different audiences (*cough*InvaderZim*cough*TrueJacksonVP*clearsthroat*) and adapt it for (action) cartoons with periphery demographics of female audiences. But apparently comedy shows (Adventure Time, Regular Show, and arguably Steve Universe in the near future) are fine.

I call for Cartoon Network to revive their original slogan as this:

Cartoon Network: The Best Place for Cartoons*

*To Be Shit On

So your telling me that I don't get to watch one of my favorite shows because it doesn't attract enough males to it...*flips everything, stamps out of room*.

Is it just me or does Cartoon Network seem quite devoid of actual cartoons these days, let alone good ones?

original.jpg

Talk about ironic changes for a channel called Cartoon Network. Though with hijinks like Young Justice's canning, I refuse to be surprised at this point.

• Thumbs Up 4

Is it just me or does Cartoon Network seem quite devoid of actual cartoons these days, let alone good ones?

original.jpg

Talk about ironic changes for a channel called Cartoon Network. Though with hijinks like Young Justice's canning, I refuse to be surprised at this point.

Quite a few characters in the first pic are from old Hanna-Barbera and Looney Tunes cartoons that had ended long ago. Yes, if you removed those it still wouldn't look quite as "empty" as the second picture, but still. It's not a very good comparison. It's also not necessarily an indication of what they're airing...granted, I'm not sure about America's CN, but in Canada they air a lot of old shows alongside new ones.

ANYWAY, not at all surprised about the cancellation being due to toys (sigh), but the fact that it attracted a demographic they weren't expecting? What? What kind of logic is that? It's kind of sad that other shows can attract an unexpected male demographic and nobody cares, but a superhero show attracting unexpected female viewership is...somehow a bad thing...yeah, I think we can all do the math there. Ugh.

Its always America's CN were talking about by default, each CN is like a franchise its handled by different people and airs different content. hell I heard that some CNs had Toonami long after it was canceled. and some CNs get stuff way before the American CN, case in point the Ed Edd n Eddy series finale movie. it aired in practically every other CN first before we finally got it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure about America's CN, but in Canada they air a lot of old shows alongside new ones.

Heh, news to me, but yeah that is the case in America with CN. Good hear other regions have avoided the dick end of Cartoon Network's sword though.

• 2 years later...