Awoo.

Sonic X discussion

VO.SUPER

Sonic X was the thing that got me intersted in the Sonic Series, lol.

I think the series was awsome, when I first watched it, that was when it aired in my country in 2004, I think. But I can see it flaws now, after getting to know the Sonic Franchise better for almost 10 years now...wow...I'm getting old.

and Chris...Oh, Chris...You were a annoying boy. I still can't get over the episode when he didn't let Sonic go home...wow...that was really bratty and selfish O_o

and the dissapointment, when I had seen screenshots of the Japanese episode with that weird scene with Vector's weird daydreaming of Tails and Cosmo and that scene didn't appear on the TV, when I though it would...I checked it up..the reason, was 4Kids crappy Version -__-

But I think that Sonic X was an okay TV series in overall.

Looking back, I do agree that the 4Kids dub made the show look really bad when it came to putting things together since there were so many goddamn cuts in the show itself.

But looking at the last few posts....ugh. I still hate seeing Chris bashing to this day. I've heard from all sides why people don't like Chris, and I have yet to hear an actual logical explanation as to why he is a bad character. I know people say he hogs the spotlight and how he doesn't want to let go of Sonic....but seriously, I always ask these people how they would feel if they were put in the exact same situation!!!!!!

And I kept saying time and time again, if he didn't save Sonic from drowning in episode 1, there would be no Sonic X in general. 

We're all human here, so I see zero point as to why people hate Chris.

Also, I like Zavok's post quite a bit (last post of page 8). I don't agree with everything he wrote in his post, but it really explains how I mainly feel about it. I'll go into detail more about my Sonic X experience in a bit when I have the time to write my dictionary. XD

Looking back, I do agree that the 4Kids dub made the show look really bad when it came to putting things together since there were so many goddamn cuts in the show itself.

But looking at the last few posts....ugh. I still hate seeing Chris bashing to this day. I've heard from all sides why people don't like Chris, and I have yet to hear an actual logical explanation as to why he is a bad character. I know people say he hogs the spotlight and how he doesn't want to let go of Sonic....but seriously, I always ask these people how they would feel if they were put in the exact same situation!!!!!!

And I kept saying time and time again, if he didn't save Sonic from drowning in episode 1, there would be no Sonic X in general. 

We're all human here, so I see zero point as to why people hate Chris.

Also, I like Zavok's post quite a bit (last post of page 8). I don't agree with everything he wrote in his post, but it really explains how I mainly feel about it. I'll go into detail more about my Sonic X experience in a bit when I have the time to write my dictionary. XD

And when you really think about it, Sonic X is also a sort of coming of age story for Chris.  During the first series (seasons 1 & 2), he seems like the annoying brat that the internet makes him out to be, with the underlying fact that he is a lonely boy as the closest family he has is his grandfather considering that Nelson and Lindsey are away many times.  Then at the end of series 1, he prevents Sonic from heading back to Planet X (my little nickname for it) so he won't be along again.  Sonic persuades him otherwise and then he heads back to PX and gives Amy a rose.

Come series 2 (season 3), Chris is now a fully grown adult and has made new friends alongside his old ones.  But by heading to Planet X, he is back in his 12-year old body but with his 18-year old mind intact.  This season makes a few notions to the fact that in those six years, he knows how to defend himself, and not have Sonic act as a bodyguard.  The final notion of character development that Chris has is in the final episode where he risks staying on Planet X with his friends so that he can return home... he finally grew up.

That's one main thing I hated about episode 78. They left such a big cliffhanger for Chris, and I really, REALLY hated how he had to leave Sonic's planet the way he did. It was really depressing to see that episode end the way it did. At the same time, I'm sure they left it so that people can interpret their own ending as to what really happened to Chris.

I really wish that they would make one more episode to fill the holes that episode 78 left, but unfortunately I don't ever see that happening. :(

The thing is....Chris wasn't even lonely. He had at least three other friends at school, the butler, the maid, his grandpa, and his parents made an effort to see him a decent amount. So why the heck is he whining about how lonely he is?

The thing is....Chris wasn't even lonely. He had at least three other friends at school, the butler, the maid, his grandpa, and his parents made an effort to see him a decent amount. So why the heck is he whining about how lonely he is?

The problem is that even though his parents tried to see him when they could, they were always away from him a great majority of the time. When Sonic came into his life though, he was able to go on a lot more adventures and have more fun in general, rather than having his parents try to please him by giving things with their money.

To me, Sonic acted like more of a father figure to Chris, and opened up Chris to living a more fullfiling life, where he was able to motivate himself to become a better person in general. Sure, his feelings did heavily get in the way many times, but at the same time, wouldn't most people feel the same way? If I had someone special in my life that I wouldn't want to seperate myself from, I know that I would feel the same way Chris does.

In the end, the way I see it, money doesn't always buy happiness. And that directly applies in my opinion to Chris's emotions when it came to being with Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 3

I wonder if there is a trope for this.  If there isn't, they should make one.

I see your point. i just think they went WAY overboard with the whole "lonely kid thing". Considering he had quite a few before Sonic came around.

Sure he had friends. However, when he realized the special abilities that Sonic and the others had, he wanted to be a part of that. I don't blame him for feeling the way he did.

You shouldn't get the planet frozen over it though that's just wrong. Anyway about that episode...What would it really be like to live the same day over and over again? If you had the best day ever you could live it over and it might be awesome for a while. If something bad happened though you would have to live it over and over and that would suck.

Dunno if I am allowed to talk about this, so delete if needed. But I'm still in shock that a subbing team actually ended up going all the way to episode 78. Had no idea until last night, uses the uncut French DVD video with the Japanese audio over the top, so as close to proper as I guess you can get since Japan didn't release season two. Curious if the subs are based on the French audio as previous releases that I didn't get, or the Japanese audio they replaced it with for this set tho, it's not the "bad subs" as there is a lot of care in the use of proper English and the font etc is nicely done and colored softly too.

I know sub talk is generally frowned upon in forums but as far as I'm concerned the uncut versions were never released in a legal way in English beyond a YouTube channel that locked out most countries, and even that didn't do season two, so if they don't wanna sell it to me then I have little choice as I don't support cut and edited programs.

Basically I'm just getting into season two with Cosmo and what not. Is it actually any good? I have heard many conflicting reviews.

Dunno if I am allowed to talk about this, so delete if needed. But I'm still in shock that a subbing team actually ended up going all the way to episode 78. Had no idea until last night, uses the uncut French DVD video with the Japanese audio over the top, so as close to proper as I guess you can get since Japan didn't release season two. Curious if the subs are based on the French audio as previous releases that I didn't get, or the Japanese audio they replaced it with for this set tho, it's not the "bad subs" as there is a lot of care in the use of proper English and the font etc is nicely done and colored softly too.

I know sub talk is generally frowned upon in forums but as far as I'm concerned the uncut versions were never released in a legal way in English beyond a YouTube channel that locked out most countries, and even that didn't do season two, so if they don't wanna sell it to me then I have little choice as I don't support cut and edited programs.

Basically I'm just getting into season two with Cosmo and what not. Is it actually any good? I have heard many conflicting reviews.

To me, episodes 53-78 left me on the edge of my seat almost every episode. That season alone was AMAZING.

HOWEVER, like I said before, I absolutely HATED how episode 78 ended. It left cliffhangers and a sad ending in general if you ask me, and looking back, that isn't the way I wanted to see the series end.

And catlvr, I do agree, but I also disagree. Part of me would like to live the same day over and over again, but I too would get tired after awhile.

But once again, how would you feel if you were put in that position? You have to either say goodbye to your friend and you might never see him again, or you could bring the entire planet into a chaotic state. In the end, it was more of a lose/lose situation for Chris and everyone else unfortunately. But at the same time, everyone has different feelings for certain things. I'm sure that if I were put in that same scenario, that would be one of the hardest decisions I could ever make.

Hence, that's also why I don't blame Chris in episode 50 for doing what he did:

http://youtu.be/SkGtHyDGToM?t=5m20s

Emotions can clearly get the best of us during certain moments that we don't want to have to face. But I hate how others criticize Chris for letting his feelings get the best of him. After all, it's not like he stopped Sonic from going home completely anyway, since Sonic was already able to leave on his own free will when he wanted to.

I wonder if there is a trope for this.  If there isn't, they should make one.

That's not how tropes work, the works are what create the tropes, and that should not be a trope.

Also that's just a badly-written lonely rich kid, not a trope of it's own.

On the topic of Chris being a "lonely rich kid" I really don't think Chris had adequate reason to cling to Sonic so much, he already had close friends he knew longer and he arguably had alternative parental figures in Ella and Tanaka as well. Close friends maybe, but having the other exceed everyone else in their lives isn't believable.

Uncut versions where never released in English at all unless you mean the official subs.

See this is why I think that there should be a "goldilocks/just" edition of the English dub (yes with the original cast), which would retain most of the stuff that was cut out of the original dub including the original Japanese score by Yoshiro Ike, fixing plotholes/the English script while keeping some gems in, and overall using Live and Learn during the climax of the SA2 arc

• 1 month later...

I notice something about Sonic X

tumblr_n3h2e0fa2p1qhhn3go7_500.png

see this scene? this is the only moment in the show were Sonic and Tails have a close friend moment. yes Tails say "I hate you" but he say it because he is sad. Sonic is actually to supporting him and hes there for him. Hes not standing there like that because he has no feelings but because hes angry at himself for not saving Tails love intrest. so hes in shame. I cry during this scene :(

• Thumbs Up 3

I really wanted to see that develop further, whether it be in Sonic X or the games themselves.

It wouldn't really work now since Tails is much more independent and doesn't rely on Sonic as much, but I really want to see a scene where a younger Tails comes to the realization that his hero isn't infallible and can't always save the day. I mean it'd be kind of a tough thing to watch, but it'd be interesting nonetheless.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just started the series myself, I'm only about 12 episodes in, and I feel like I haven't gotten nearly enough Tails at all, let alone the kind of development of his and Sonic's friendship that Indigo and Sonikku mention above. Do we get more Tails? Before the Cosmo arc which I'm kinda not interested in watching?

Not much really. I think he gets some (SOME) scenes dedicated to development during the Adventure arc, but I can't remember. The Cosmo arc was the big one though.

I don't like that particular scene at all. I know Sonic isn't doing anything cos he hates himself for killing Cosmo but come on, give him a reassuring hug or something, ANYTHING to comfort Tails! It looks to me like he's giving Tails the cold shoulder.

God, Season 3 tried way too hard to be dramatic and dark. The only things I liked about that season were Chris' lack of screen time, The Metarex (they were badass and I'd love to see them appear in a future Sonic game) and Cosmo. There was still the bad animation though and TailsxCosmo was weird because, you know, he's only 8. And then there's the crappy ending was left everything on a cliffhanger making us believe there would be a fourth season. It was better than the first two seasons but not by much.

Edit: And that video of Sonic and Shadow "fighting" is why I think this should have been animated by a different studio. Or give TMS a bigger budget, bloody hell.

Edited by Gabz Girl

Hey, I don't need to double post. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e17Zqjb6pdI

This is some pathetic fight animation huh? They really went all out on the budget. And Sonic breaks his neck at one point.

Totally pathetic - it looks really cheap. Also, watching this after watching the subs, I can't stand most of the voices, the music is awful, but... Pollock's Eggman really does make everything better, doesn't it?

I just started the series myself, I'm only about 12 episodes in, and I feel like I haven't gotten nearly enough Tails at all, let alone the kind of development of his and Sonic's friendship that Indigo and Sonikku mention above. Do we get more Tails? Before the Cosmo arc which I'm kinda not interested in watching?

Curiosity. Which version are you watching? The Japanese version or the Englsih version.

Both have many horrid detriments either way, but your experience is guaranteed to vary.

Pollock's Eggman really does make everything better, doesn't it?

Most of the time. But not when he says THE LINE. The line that made Eggman fans around the globe collectively scream to the heavens; something not even 06 managed.

Curiosity. Which version are you watching? The Japanese version or the Englsih version.

Both have many horrid detriments either way, but your experience is guaranteed to vary.

Most of the time. But not when he says THE LINE. The line that made Eggman fans around the globe collectively scream to the heavens; something not even 06 managed.

Out of curiosity are you referring to the Generations Robotnik quote, or his attempt as "Snoopingas"?

Out of curiosity are you referring to the Generations Robotnik quote, or his attempt as "Snoopinas"?

That episode where Dark Sonic appeared and Eggman said about how hurting people is going too far.