Awoo.

GameTrailers Top 10 Fallen Angels - Sonic, once again, at #1

PSI Wind

They gave the project to Dimps, and Dimps fucked shit up, what does this have to do with Sonic Team though?

Question asked, question answered. Sonic Team gave it to Dimps after they fucked up first time, and Dimps fucked up again.

I don't see how either the Crash or Banjo series remained particularly comfortable with themselves when they underwent significant aesthetic and gameplay changes for the sake of trying to appeal to some random demographic, changes that were both unnecessary and derided from all parties, before they progressed into irrelevance. Had their later installments been developed as more traditional titles, or at least been considered excellent in their own right, I'd agree with the importance of the distinction.

I also don't think the Sonic series has been particularly stagnant in improvement lately, what with the good reception of Colors, Generations, and even Ep.2 compared to its more fundamentally-broken prequel (although really, S4's critical reception is a relative clusterfuck anyway). And ultimately, because of the obviously cheap developmental and distributive nature of Sonic 4 which naturally underplays the title's priority in the grand scheme of things, I don't consider its quality as relevant to the series' reputation anymore than I do the Advance games at their time of their release.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 3

There we go, if Sonic Team really cared about Sonic's image after doing it good with Unleashed (sorta), Colours and Generations, they would have made Sonic 4 themselves also, or never made it at all if they didn't have the time or money.

Still doesnt discredit any of their previous, more influential improvements by the more important titles.

Edited by Soniman

While it's true giving it to Dimps in the first place is questionable, in the end it still doesn't make any of Sonic Team's efforts any different does it? As a matter of fact, Dimps make Sonic Team look even more competent in comparison.

They gave the project to Dimps, and Dimps fucked shit up, what does this have to do with Sonic Team though?

All I'm saying is that I would have preferred that Sonic team handle the project instead after seeing generations. Is that so hard to understand?

Still doesnt discredit any of their previous, more influential improvements.

Indeed, but Sonic 4 is the thing that's tarnishing Sonic's name lately and they let it happen. Not their fault entirely but not giving it to Dimps would have saved Sonic, not themselves, much aggro.

Edited by Major Ziggy

There are plenty of franchises that have bombed and are in a worse position right now.

Crash bandicoot was awesome on PS1, rubbish on PS2 and PS3?????

Spyro was excellent on PS1, poorish on PS2 in part. PS3, er I have never played skylanders?

If you ask me Sonic being on top of that list is a good thing. Might make people take notice as to what SEGA and Sonic are doing at the moment. I mean, in the last few years we have had a 20th anniversary game, enhanced re-release of a time travelling game, two episodes of a digital download HD game that loves broken physics and co-op. Of course we are getting a sequel to an acclaimed racing game and a HD port of a popular adventure.

That's right people, Sonic might have been bad but he's coming back.

Patience Monty climb the ladder..................................

Edited by MilesKnightwing

Ha ha, I'm moreso baffled that Final Fantasy isn't higher on the list and Ratchet is on it at all. Couple that with the fact that they only talk about each game for about three seconds aaaaand...

Yeah, this is just a bad list. Not really seeing what the big deal is.

• Thumbs Up 4

Indeed, but Sonic 4 is the thing that's tarnishing Sonic's name lately and they let it happen. Not their fault entirely but not giving it to Dimps would have saved Sonic, not themselves, much aggro.

I don't know, man. I kinda put Sonic 4 in the same catagorey as the advance titles -- as far as importance goes. It's not. It's obviously a main title, but I do.

If you ask me Sonic being on top of that list is a good thing. Might make people to take notice as to what SEGA and Sonic are doing at the moment.

Also, I thought about this considering that someone posted that their own comunity was arguing about the Sonic bashing. It's like winning the turd award and everyong agrees you don't deserve it. You get the attention of having without the the bashing.

Edited by WIttyUsername

Well, for starters, the buck stops with them (for reasons Major Ziggy pointed out); but more importantly when it comes to layman opinions (read: Not members of a Sonic message board) about the franchise and something like Sonic 4 happens, who is going to be blamed? The relatively unknown developer that had the game farmed out to them or the developer named after the franchise who put their seal of approval on it anyway?

Dimps fucking up may make Sonic Team look better in comparison in the Sonic fanbase, but outside of it when most people don't know who Dimps is (at least not compared to the frequently name-dropped Sonic Team)?

Edited by Gilda

All I'm saying is that I would have preferred that Sonic team handle the project instead after seeing generations. Is that so hard to understand?

No, it isn't.

But I guess it doesn't matter all that much, considering Dimps was meant to make the project either way.

This would have all been easier if they called it something else...

EDIT:

Well, for starters, the buck stops with them (for reasons Major Ziggy pointed out); but more importantly when it comes to layman opinions (read: Not members of a Sonic message board) about the franchise and something like Sonic 4 happens, who is going to be blamed? The relatively unknown developer that had the game farmed out to them or the developer named after the franchise who put their seal of approval on it anyway?

Dimps fucking up may make Sonic Team look better in comparison in the Sonic fanbase, but outside of it when most people don't know who Dimps is (at least not compared to the frequently name-dropped Sonic Team)?

I guess you got a point there. Although I do feel EP2 wasn't that bad of a game either way, I thought it got average-positive scores? I'm not sure.

Edited by Xenos

Hilarious how they couldn't give a single reason why.

The reasons are quite obvious. Super Hyper Ultimate Real Bout Sonic Unleashed Alpha EX Special Unchained Gold Turbo Modern Warfare The Movie Arcade Edition, light or no story, no other playables, etc.

Why wasn't Star Fox on this list? I mean his best game is a remake of his SNES debut. All others since then were either of bad (Adventures, Command) or mixed quality (Assualt). He's never had one great original title.

• Thumbs Up 2

Why wasn't Star Fox on this list? I mean his best game is a remake of his SNES debut. All others since then were either of bad (Adventures, Command) or mixed quality (Assualt). He's never had one great original title.

No one remembers Star Fox anymore.

No one remembers Star Fox anymore.

Sure they do, he did get another remake on the 3DS. And then theres JonTron:

Edited by Balding Spider

The reasons are quite obvious. Super Hyper Ultimate Real Bout Sonic Unleashed Alpha EX Special Unchained Gold Turbo Modern Warfare The Movie Arcade Edition, light or no story, no other playables, etc.

No.

Please, stop.

• Thumbs Up 2

A remake is hardly justification for a series that ended on a shitty note with Star Fox Furry Soap Opera Shit/Command

Gametrailers made a top 10 list... Holy shit!

*Continues to play Yakuza.*

Oh yes I was going to make a post wasn't I. Yes well... GameTrailers, do they actually do anything other than make lists that only their own members care about these days? It was nice when they first started doing it, only they do these things so often and just about everyone can tell that all the names are more or less completely plucked at random with little to no research gone into them, it's hardly any different from random youtube persons top 10 list video.

Also was Final Fantasy on the list, if not why?

• Thumbs Up 3

No suprise to see Silent Hill on the list, but it's a shame.

The first few games were pretty good.

I liked Silent Hill: Homecoming. It has a great atmospher, very creepy and some neat puzzles. The only problem I have is the controls which just feel arkward, sluggish and unimaginative.

I know a few other people are already tearing this apart, but I'm seriously not understanding what the joke here is supposed to be. No, seriously, I don't get what you're trying to say at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

I won't analyse the reasons for creating this lists, as I found out only through here.

But Actually, I must agree with GT and I can understand why people did that.

Sonic is one of the most known franchise and between 2002 and 2007 there were many bad games and many nonsense, horrible spin-offs

BUT..

If SEGA will do such games as Generations, Colors and better ones, after 10 years Sonic might appear on the list "Risen from the ashes" and I truly hope so :')

Edited by Danielius

I know a few other people are already tearing this apart, but I'm seriously not understanding what the joke here is supposed to be. No, seriously, I don't get what you're trying to say at all.

Two Sonic games share a gameplay formula, so therefore it's exactly the same as when Capcom made loads of tweaked versions of the same game.

Edited by Ekaje
  • Thumbs Up 6