Awoo.

Book Club?

Pelly <3's U

Hey all,

So I know awhile ago Flyboy and Roarey were talking about doing an SSMB book club and were talking about trying to get around to doing one. I know shortly after that RL kind of took over for both of them and so it never got put into action.

Well I recently opened up a good reads account and while trying to rate books I realized how pitiful I've kept up with reading lately....and how some encouragement would be a cool thing. So I'm wondering if I started an SSMB book club how many of you would be interested in doing it?

Also any ideas of what you think the best way to do it would be (how to select books, if we'd want to just have a thread for the book or do a monthly hang out type deal) let me know.

If you all are down, I'm down.

• Thumbs Up 9

Sounds like an interesting idea. I'm just concerned on how we'd pick a book and what the time frame would be for completing it.

That being said, book clubs are always fun.

As long as the assigned book is not Twilight or Twilight related in anyway, I'm down.

Most book clubs are monthly, so that's how I would think we'd do it.

I think the easiest way to pick the book would be to just assign different people to pick it every month.....like have a list of people and then just go down it (of course with certain restrictions lol). I mean the problem is we could debate over which book to do for months, and the whole point of a book club is to expose yourself to stuff you normally probably wouldn't have gotten to read and then give you a means to discuss it.

A lot of book clubs do monthly themes, so like a fantasy month and then a mystery month....and then some have an alt book so people can explore more of the genre.

I don't read anywhere near as much as I used to, and I've been thinking lately that I'd like to correct that. This is a pretty great idea.

I would go for books which are not brand new but at the same time not incredibly obscure. That way it lets people get copies from the library which shouldn't be too much in demand.

Since I only read Comics and Manga, I don't think it's a good idea for me(unless each month as more than one book to choose from a certain category).

But even so I think it's a good idea.smile.png

I'd love to honestly, but I have a tenancy to get distracted easy and/or never get around to reading things, let alone if the book isn't something like 100% my interest XD. That said though, I might pop in every once and awhile if something catches my interest, if it's cool. I mean I guess I'll be an egghead >:U.

What kinda novels and junk are you guys thinking? Or are we kinda having a few appointed leaders to kinda chose or something?

I'm up for this. So we choose a book and come back a month later to discuss it over right? So lets kick this off with the Sonic Bible....unless anyone else has any better suggestions. But seriously I do not own an e-reader or an i-device so I can only read from hard copies, that could be a problem if I can't find a copy of the book in my local library.

I'm up for this. So we choose a book and come back a month later to discuss it over right? So lets kick this off with the Sonic Bible....unless anyone else has any better suggestions. But seriously I do not own an e-reader or an i-device so I can only read from hard copies, that could be a problem if I can't find a copy of the book in my local library.

If you have a computer you have an e-reader. I have a kindle and still read most of my ebooks on the computer.

I begin school again in a few weeks, so I'll def have a lot of reading time to take part in this. :b Gonna have to go to the library though. Haven't actually bought a new book in what feels like months. Heh.

Ha ha, I unfortunately don't really have the money (keepblowingitallonvideogameswhoops) to keep up and buy a bunch of books, but I'd love to debate about stuff I've already read. This is a really cool idea. ;)

First book is 1984. >:U

No buts.

I would be totally down for this, in all honesty.

I am totally down for some Russian totalitarianism and my George Orwell.

Native Son(Richard Wright is the best writer to portray modern existential conflict)

Game of Thrones

Fight Club or anything by Chuck Palahniuk.

Guys, I am as giddy as a virgin in his/her first time.

Edited by turbojet

A lot of book clubs do monthly themes, so like a fantasy month and then a mystery month....and then some have an alt book so people can explore more of the genre.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I would be totally down for this. I just re-joined the library recently because I wanted to read more, so having some structure for that would be great.

What might be fun though, is if every month we alternate between "proper" literature and "pulpy crap".

Edited by The Conductor
  • Thumbs Up 1

Uh, "pulpy crap"? What the hell is that?

^ Books without any real depth to them, that are just written (and to be read) for fun.

I Am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to be Your Class President is probably a good example of what he means^

Hilarious book with minor depth, but written for fun.