Awoo.

Chuck E. Cheese gets a redesign

SonikkuForever

Well since I haven't cared about Chuck E Cheese since I was like 6 or 7, This doesn't really affect me all that much.

Surprised they didn't change it sooner actually. That old look was just screaming "I'm trapped in the 90's!"

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly even though I know what Chucky looked like I do believe this is more or less an improvement. Not that it matters though.

Its really nostalgia that makes people rage.

Edited by Wendy the BOOLET

I never actually went to a Chuck E Cheese as a kid, never had one around my area so I only went to local knockoffs (whcih were fucking awesome!). So no attachment at all to the character.

That said, that's one of the ugliest designs I've seen this side of Skylanders. But the old one looked terrible, so it's kind of like going from diarrhea to just regualr shit. I mean, the original looked horrifically 90s, and not in a good way, so from a marketing standpoint it makes perfect sense. He's still the same type of in yo face "Hey kids, let's be cool and extreme" just adapted to a new decade.

Edited by Chocolate Boy

I'm honestly really surprised that this is being talked about as much as it is. xD

I seriously have no idea how people can be "outraged" by something like this. Does it really affect you? I'm gonna go ahead and guess no. It's a mouse that appears in 30 second ads on TV, and is the mascot of a place you don't go to anymore unless you're with someone very young. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I honestly don't understand this and think it's rather silly. tongue.png

This fucking mouse destroyed my 5th birthday.

Fuck Chuck E. Cheese.

• Thumbs Up 8

And here I thought the "Poochie" version was bad enough. This is just awful.

Oh well... I've never eaten at a Chuck E. Cheese and have no intention to, so it doesn't really affect me in any way.

I've never been to the restaurants more than a couple times but goodness did I ever see a ton of commercials growing up. While I always liked the old design, the new one actually works pretty darn good in motion.

The old one was pretty silly looking, sure, but... man, that really was a huge part of my childhood. I loved going to Chuck E. Cheese's, I saw those commercials on a daily basis, and I was totally jealous of my friend's CEC birthday party (apparently it was really freaking expensive and my parents didn't think it was worth it, so I never got one. D': ).

It's not really that I love the original design on its own all that much, it's just that it's incredibly nostalgic and seeing it get replaced with a design that's, frankly, fucking hideous saddens me. I'm really not fond of pointless changes like this.

Edited by Desudash Demonhoof

Even as a kid I thought the old design looked pretty creepy, but the new one isn't much better. It looks like something out of a random CG kids movie that would be completely forgotten soon after release.

Wow, it's even the Bowling For Soup guy. You know, who also sung Endless Possibilities from Sonic Unleashed. Parallels indeed.

Other then that, whatever. The character of Chuck E. Cheese isn't exactly close to my heart. I only got to go there once or twice as a kid, and even that wasn't until I was 10 or 11.

Edited by Speederino

I didn't care for it much either. I only went a few times, and most of them only had ticket dispensing games that weren't very fun.

7WwUV.jpg

But I've got to side with the minority and say that I thought the commercial looked pretty sweet.

• Thumbs Up 3

Come on, the old design had fingerless gloves, a backwards baseball cap, and elbow pads.

The only bad thing about this redesign is that it's ten years late, at the very least.

This new look isn't horrific, nor is it good, but it's certainly an improvement over that horribly outdated crap they've been pushing for the past two decades.

• Thumbs Up 1

wow I can't believe how much outrage this is generating!

You're 25! When are you going to Chuck-E-Cheese anytime soon? Outraging over something like this is going to prevent you from even having kids to take there...

[/asshole]

Edited by Speederino

Can't really argue with that. He *was* a little early 90's for kids from the 2010's. The only thing missing is a boombox, a pair of sunglasses, and a bad rap music video.

...All of which may have very well existed at some point.

The music videos they had playing in the little restaurant section had those, if I remember correctly. :P

Am I the only one who thinks that the redesigned rat is just as bad of a health code violation as the original design? o_O

You went from having a giant, chain smoking rat that would creep up on you and serve slices of cardboard pizza. Now you have a small, rat-sized rat jumping from table to table and singing?

Hold the rat droppings, plz.

I'm honestly really surprised that this is being talked about as much as it is. xD

I seriously have no idea how people can be "outraged" by something like this. Does it really affect you? I'm gonna go ahead and guess no. It's a mouse that appears in 30 second ads on TV, and is the mascot of a place you don't go to anymore unless you're with someone very young. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I honestly don't understand this and think it's rather silly. tongue.png

EDIT: I'm gonna say that the new design is pretty generic, but guess what? So is every other design for this "character". With how some people are reacting, you'd think this is some beloved and timeless character or something.

I thought "F*** you" in my head, Iol how can this mouse get me so hostile D;

But like you said, we're probably too old to go to Chuck E. Cheese's anymore but still jeez....my childhood ;A; My fun with friends and family, our special occasions ;;;;A;;;;;, defaced, crapped on if you will X.<

Edited by OneDoesNotSimplySuperJXJ

He *was* a little early 90's for kids from the 2010's. The only thing missing is a boombox, a pair of sunglasses, and a bad rap music video.

...All of which may have very well existed at some point.

up-4JIPHIO270V029Q5.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qf7BBSxx44

Circa 1999. Watch if you dare. There were tons of music videos like this. You can tell that they didn't try too hard on writing the lyrics for any of them.

Am I the only one who thinks that the redesigned rat is just as bad of a health code violation as the original design? o_O

You went from having a giant, chain smoking rat that would creep up on you and serve slices of cardboard pizza. Now you have a small, rat-sized rat jumping from table to table and singing?

Hold the rat droppings, plz.

The original creators of the franchise thought the same thing. Nolan Bushnell bought a generic mascot costume at an entertainment convention, hoping to make it the star of his new restaurant. He thought it was a coyote at first and was going to name the chain "Coyote Pizza", but when he brought the suit back home, he was horrified to see that the costume had a rat's tail. Rather than returning the costume, Bushnell just decided to change the name of the restaurant....to Rick Rat's Pizza. Atari's PR firm was horrified at the idea of a rat-themed restaurant, so they downplayed the species and just named him "Chuck E. Cheese" instead. In recent years, he's been referred to as a mouse, which is a much friendlier-sounding animal.

• Thumbs Up 1

up-4JIPHIO270V029Q5.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qf7BBSxx44

Circa 1999. Watch if you dare. There were tons of music videos like this. You can tell that they didn't try too hard on writing the lyrics for any of them.

I think I may have just threw up in my mouth a little.

Though it's certainly a mental trip back to the 4th grade, I guess.

Edited by Speederino

I had seen the redesign a bit earlier than most and honestly, I like both designs (maybe the new one even more so). That said, I understand having a character that you loved as a child suddenly get a voice change. For a few years, after original V.A. Bob West left, Duncan Brannan was the voice of Barney the Dinosaur before being replaced by the purple guy's current voice actor Dean Wendt in 2001. Thankfully, Chuck E's voice didn't get as drastic of a change as Barney's did.

Back on topic, though. Honestly, while I haven't really been into a CEC in a good number of years (save for once with a family friend's daughter), I have nothing against the company themselves and honestly found their pizza to be not too shabby (their fries however.... ugh). If they improve the restaurants overall, I think they could gain some popularity back, but that's just me.

For a few years, after original V.A. Bob West left, Duncan Brannan was the voice of Barney the Dinosaur before being replaced by the purple guy's current voice actor Dean Wendt in 2001.

...Voice actor? I always thought Barney was a real, purple dinosaur.

WHY YOU RAPE CHILDHOOD!!??

Edited by Speederino
  • Thumbs Up 5

...Voice actor? I always thought Barney was a real, purple dinosaur.

WHY YOU RAPE CHILDHOOD!!??

I know you're kidding and all, but I was just saying Duncan had previously been Barney for some time while he was voicing Chuck E. Cheese and that compared to the purple dinosaur, Chuck E.'s voice change isn't that drastic. I'd comment more on that, but I don't want to get off topic.

When I was a kid and my mom wanted to take us to Chuck E Cheese me and my brother were always like 'WAAAAH NOOO'

We had an pizza arcade called circus pizza that had actual arcade games, Chuck E Cheese was always just like stupid ticket ones

Then one year we went to Circus Pizza and.........oh god it's too hard for me to type

They replaced all my beautiful Mortal Kombat and Battletoad machines with shit like 'stop the light in the middle for tickets' and 'slingshot your token onto a number and get that many tickets'

My childhood died that day

You know, I actually had my sixth birthday party at Circus Pizza, so I somewhat remember it as well. Good to know I'm not the only one, Pelly.

Edited by SonHOG