Awoo.

What did you think about Shadow The Hedgehog?

Black Hedgehog

SEGA was trying to make the game to get a more mature audience (I'll find the link somewhere)

I hate to be that guy, comrade, but dark /= mature.

Let's take the classic example (at least in that fandom) of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask versus Twilight Princess from that same series. Twilight Princess is certainly dark in that its color palette consists of various shades of mud/metal and it has some more graphic scenes, but otherwise it is as mature as Ocarina of Time was; perhaps less so, for being a bit more shallow in its execution. It was people pretending like their Ocarina-styled quest was something more deep and mature than it was, and handled next to no themes worth any insight, and Ocarina often outshone it when it tried.It was the "dark" Zelda people thought they wanted, but in the end all the superficial elements of a deep game don't make a game deep. It would be like trying to make a car by putting an extra set of wheels on your bike, because hey, cars have those, right?

Majora's Mask was certainly more weird than dark in a few respects, but it handled tough subject matters like imminent death, hopelessness, and past sins with a careful touch and a incredible direction. The graphics were literally copy-pasted from Ocarina and it's color palette included all sorts of bold colors, but in the end it had that depth of character and depth of story people had been clamoring for. It didn't need brown colors to be a game more mature than almost any Nintendo game we have with us today.

To put this another way, all the parts you see outside a car are built to accommodate the interior, as the hood protects the engine, and so on, not the other way around. So too is it with telling deep stories.

EDIT: Thanks for fixing the text, Wally! :D

Edited by The Fifth-Rate Flareon

Well.

It's pretty amazing if you're twelve years old, I'll give it that. It's got enough "WOAH DUDE THAT'S SO COOL" moments to make any kid wet himself and make me want to gag myself.

• Thumbs Up 3

^ Dude, what the heck is up with your post? Everything is highlighted white with white bold print. I'm straining my eyes to read that.

^ Dude, what the heck is up with your post? Everything is highlighted white with white bold print. I'm straining my eyes to read that.

I don't know.

I think it hates me.

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing I love about Shadow the Hedgehog is the comedy. Seriously, Colors and Gens got laughs outta me now and again, but this game is priceless. All that crap about Black Arms and DNA samples and guns, all that DAMN and the parody of the military, comedy gold. Whoever wrote this is a legend and they should be head of Sonic Team, I swear!

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't know.

I think it hates me.

Thanks for fixing it. White with white is terrible on my eyes. (swear i just sounded old)

Topic wise. I don't remember any good songs from ShTh. Seriously. There are a few medicore songs that come to mind but nothing as good as anything from any other game in the series.

. Watching the game, (Because I never got around to doing it) made me kinda proud I was a fan of him.

Wait.

Are you saying that you never actually played the fucking game?

• Thumbs Up 5

EDIT: WHY WON'T YOU WORK TEXT?! D:<

You need to get rid of the text formatting with the rubber on the toolbar.

Anyway, I think I've said it before, but I personally like this game more than SA1 and SA2. It's no masterpiece but I get more enjoyment out of it than either Adventure.

Edited by Wally Gator
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Eternal X

i agree. also unleashed was GREAT.

@The Fifth Rate

i dont quite understand you. are you talking about the engine?

@Diz

thanks Diz! ^.*

Yeah i enjoy going to the G.U.N Base, and just ripping shit up with the Gattling Gun, pretty satisfying destroying everything.

@Vertekins

no, the fact that shadow has guns and curses and rides motorcycles doesnt make him cool. in that case old men in motercyle gangs would be epic. NOT! i find shadow cool because of the way he is. the guns were just something i think looks cool on him, but not what MAKEES him cool. shadow being shadow. thats what i like about him. his guns, vehicles and cursing can go burn. its not what makes him cool. im not 8. -.- i have a mind of my own.

we have a lot of dirty mouths here >.>

Yeah i enjoy going to the G.U.N Base, and just ripping shit up with the Gattling Gun, pretty satisfying destroying everything.

Don't forget using the extremely rare Tank Cannon.

It blew up everything in front of it.

@The Fifth Rate

i dont quite understand you. are you talking about the engine?

I was, erm, referring to the story there, comrade. Graphic bits just snuck in there as what I hoped was a way of proving a point.

And welcome! Sorry for not saying so earlier.

@Vertekins

no, the fact that shadow has guns and curses and rides motorcycles doesnt make him cool. in that case old men in motercyle gangs would be epic. NOT! i find shadow cool because of the way he is. the guns were just something i think looks cool on him, but not what MAKEES him cool. shadow being shadow. thats what i like about him. his guns, vehicles and cursing can go burn. its not what makes him cool. im not 8. -.- i have a mind of my own.

People here have been exposed to dozens of crazed Shadow fanboys/girls, so you'll have to excuse their rudeness. They're just responding how they have learned over years of dealing with fanatics.

@Vertekins

Right.

I too like Shadow. And I loathed the way he's been written and portrayed particularly in his own game. But this game's tone is deservedly one of the reasons why it is so despised.

I'm going to quote Roarz on this;

It comes as little surprise that many people have an issue with harsh language, given that the majority of us are raised to believe swearing is a horrible thing to do. This is not a school or home environment, however, it is an online environment of free speech. All words derive their tone and meaning in communication via the context in which they are used. Words of any kind are not inherently 'bad' or 'good', their moral alignment is derived from how, when and by whom they are used. It is also commonplace for people to curse in general conversation. Swear words are not a forbidden fruit of sin and a demand that they never be used is an infringement of personal freedom of speech, so we do not disallow those words here. The staff are also people, so they too can swear if they wish to. The bottom line in this issue is of a personal dislike for when people swear or curse, a personal preference. Hearing, seeing or reading things you don't like is part of living in a society, so we each need to learn to deal with these issues ourselves. You're all aware of censorship and the damage it can incur, so chill out. If someone feels like a "fuck" here or there is how they want to communicate, then they will do so, it is how they want to communicate. To act as though an opinion is invalid or a person is bad because of the language they choose to use is ignorant and prejudiced.
  • Thumbs Up 2

This fucking statement is so fucking true. By the fucking way. Welcome to the muthafuckin SSMB. I fucking hope your ass enjoys your DAMN stay. :D

Gosh that took a lot of effort.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't forget using the extremely rare Tank Cannon.

It blew up everything in front of it.

No mention of the Egg Vacuum? Now THAT was fun to use. So was the Omochao Gun in doses.

When I finished Shadow for the first time, Eggman was dead. And I felt shit. I'd completed a game, and I felt shit. I'd killed one of my favourite fictional characters, my second-to-favourite villain of all time. Even in completion this game pissed me off. Fuck. o.O

..I knew none of this was actually canon to the Sonicverse, but watching Dr. Eggman die (so pathetically as well) has gotta be my all-time worst moment I've had in a game like ever.

Edited by -The Joker-
  • Thumbs Up 3

When I finished Shadow for the first time, Eggman was dead. And I felt shit. I'd completed a game, and I felt shit. I'd killed one of my favourite fictional characters, my second-to-favourite villain of all time. Even in completion this game pissed me off. Fuck. o.O

It's like killing the Joker. Who does that?

the joker does that

@ The Rate

i COMPLETELY understand what you mean. but im not a fanboy or girl. i said so. i just like shadow the hedgehog. you know, i come close to cursing when people say that 06 is actually GOOD. ugh....

i dont understand how the storyline to you was *hit. all shadow was doing was finding his past. he didnt even bother with it anymore now. the game was really cool to me because he had a father, like vegeta (although he and vegeta have like nothing in common). as ive said before, his being immortal is very impressive to me. you guys must think i like shadow like a little kid would.

OH MY GAWSH! GAWNS! DESTSWUKSHUN! EMOW EVOWEWEHR! SHADOW IS SOOO COWAL!!! MOTUSIKALS!!!!

well, no. im 15 and i hate that in a fan. that isnt even a real reason to like shadow. i understand how angry you all must feel, but no, im not that kind of person. im not really talking about the GAME, in its essence, but the GAME. as in the scenes not graphics. what i mean is the levels could be pushed out, the guns, the controls. (although i find nothing wrong with these) if it was made movie wise, i would still like it. would you agree with me then?

You do know that that is only one of ten optional endings, right?

My opinion of the game may be biast because I like the character a lot, but I did enjoy Shadow the Hedgehog. Sometimes I do wonder if Sega really knew what they were doing, though. It could have been much better, but I don't think it was as bad as some say.

You do know that that is only one of ten optional endings, right?

Yes, but fuck if I was playing that game ten times...

:P

• Thumbs Up 3

No mention of the Egg Vacuum? Now THAT was fun to use. So was the Omochao Gun in doses.

Egg Vacuum is a good weapon. It eats everything and gives you a 1 Up. It really helps with the hero mission on Central City too. Omochao is hilarious too. :P

@Vertekins and External X

i really dont like the shadow of now.....hes too...unshadowy. if you know what i mean. but he's still one of my fave chars. and i WAS brought up to think of the swearing thing, but really, sometimes it can get annoying. i dont curse. i CAN. but i dont. too smart for it. i use real words. but i understand what you mean. and it doesn change the fact that you need soap in you mouths. ALL OF YOUUUUU!!!! XD

oh and thanks, Eternal X. i think......

@DevilDoom

thanks! thats all i was saying!

Speaking of graphics, allow me to rant about those for a moment.

http://t1.gstatic.co...NbqZ5iMMaK1fT_w

This screenshot basically sums up everything wrong with this game. It looks like it would be the screenshot for a call of duty game if it weren't for the single OVERSIZED BLACK AND RED HEDGEHOG in the middle. The clash of tones here is ridiculous. Sonic characters don't fit this kind of environment, and even if this game WAS a generic military shooter, it looks like shit. Sonic Heroes came out at least 2 years before this game, and it looks about 10 times better. What the fuck happened?

Not to mention this was late in the gamecube's life, so we we're seeing stuff like this:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFQsDbOMSdWsL52h4aFnKW5DxXeD9JAEYDC5ytpt8FApXT0Y65cg

from other companies. It just makes Shadow look worse.