Awoo.

Staff Feedback!

Roarey Raccoon

Given the feedback, there's plenty reason to change. The whole point of this topic is to share feedback like this. I understand improvements are going to be made to the way users are treated, but it's just an idea. It's how I personally would handle the situation.

I'm not saying for all warnings to be via PM. Certain warnings need to be pubic (Still with no swearing/insults, etc), I understand. But I also think there are certain warnings that should be private.

I thought the whole point of this topic was to leave feedback for possible change. Whether my idea is bad or not, if the system is going to stay the same no matter what, then what's the point of us leaving feedback?

I appreciate your concerns here and I can tell you that some warnings are indeed private; not every strike we hand out or warning we give is done publicly. What you need to understand here is that there aren't many instances at all these days where members have to be striked, the most common reason for members being warned is when things fly off the handle in topics and devolve into big arguments. When such things occur the most effective way of dealing with it is to warn the members involved with a message in the topic itself, so others can see what's going down and the topic quickly gets back on track. I understand you feel this is harsh and I have said the staff will be working on being less so in the future, but I am coming from a position of 8 years of experience being staff at this forum. I know how things work here and the best way to get things done and as things are we have a forum that ticks along smoothly and people enjoy themselves.

I think you're blowing this out of proportion.

• Thumbs Up 2

The staff are like Adam Malkovich from Metroid, blunt, but not total machines!

Until Fusion that is :U

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't think the warnings need to be via PM (although an elaboration if a member kicks off via PM wouldn't go amiss, especially if the member PMs the staff first to ask why it happened). What I do think needs to happen is that warnings that are given are done so in a fair way; I don't think offending members need to be humiliated by it, but a firm warning without use of macros and witticisms seems a better idea to me, and definitely encouraging members to move on and continue with the topic instead of dwelling on the warning.

What would be even better would be if there was a way of disabling "Likes" for warning posts, but that seems a bit unfeasible.

You seem to be dwelling on the fact that the mods swear. Roarz clearly stated that judging the mod's speech patterns (freedom of Speech), is pretty petty. Hell, I swear all the damn time and nobody says shit about it. Sure swearing gets heavily used but the point is, people will say what they want.

You seem to think this is about swearing. It was an example in a way I thought people would understand sense pelly did a similar example. I will say that everything I say feels like a riddle to some of you and the point is missed entirely.

Lets say it this way then, pelly said that a teacher calls out a guy in class so he learns his lesson, in a forum case a mod calls out a member infront of everyone to learn his lesson. Now pelly is right, that does need to happen sometimes and is for the best sometimes.

Now from the complaints of the harsh tone using that example I changed the story a bit to a degree of what members see (Or new members) that goes like a teacher not only calling out a student, but cussing at him and insulting him. Or in a forum case the member is called out and insulted with a harsh tone.

When I say cussing it means that the cussing probably makes it sound worse then what was originally intended.

They could be saying "Dont do that" which is fine, but when its said like "Dont ******* do that" then it gets harsher and in most peoples eyes, even insulting.

Do you see what I mean now? Or does it still feel like a riddle? My post are not designed to be broken down, it gets confusing and the point gets messed entirely, they are meant to be read as a whole and link it together to fully understand what is being said.

You seem to think this is about swearing. It was an example in a way I thought people would understand sense pelly did a similar example. I will say that everything I say feels like a riddle to some of you and the point is missed entirely.

Lets say it this way then, pelly said that a teacher calls out a guy in class so he learns his lesson, in a forum case a mod calls out a member infront of everyone to learn his lesson. Now pelly is right, that does need to happen sometimes and is for the best sometimes.

Now from the complaints of the harsh tone using that example I changed the story a bit to a degree of what members see (Or new members) that goes like a teacher not only calling out a student, but cussing at him and insulting him. Or in a forum case the member is called out and insulted with a harsh tone.

When I say cussing it means that the cussing probably makes it sound worse then what was originally intended.

They could be saying "Dont do that" which is fine, but when its said like "Dont ******* do that" then it gets harsher and in most peoples eyes, even insulting.

Do you see what I mean now? Or does it still feel like a riddle? My post are not designed to be broken down, it gets confusing and the point gets messed entirely, they are meant to be read as a whole and link it together to fully understand what is being said.

Ok. I'm pretty sure the mods scoldings are not to call anyone out in a harsh tone, as was stated. Even if it was, it doesn't mean that your a target of hostility. And it's not a big deal if they say "Don't post this shit". In that case, it's a repeated offender who's purpose is to post just to attract negative attention.

I just read your posts and every time, it has something to do with the mods swearing at someone and i'm pretty sure they said 100 times buy now that they don't try to be hostile towards members, new or old. Btw, i'm not trying to break anyone's post down, i'm just saying your focused on a problem that's been discussed and handled.

Edited by Abominal Taz
  • Thumbs Up 1

While we've taken note of your feedback Shadon, it has already been addressed in Roarey's post above and Wolfy politely asked that the debate be dropped previously. :)

• Thumbs Up 6

Yes, its going to be handled and should not be a problem anymore. They will try not to do that anymore (But if they dont try to in the first place and still ends up harsh then I dont see how anything will be fixed unless now they really try not to.) and it will start to be handled.

So disusing it further wont matter. And lets see if I can break this down further, straight to the point this time.

1. I think the cussing makes it worse then what it really is.

2. Its about the harsh tone, not cussing.

3. I dont care about cussing.

4. bring it all together and it goes to it may not be as harsh to people (Especially newer members) if the tone goes down. Its about the tone and it feeling harsh to people. I dont care about the cussing,

just saying that the cussing might be responsible for what people call the harsh tone.

It might not be responsible but personal experience (And taking it myself... (My fault by the way) a post is all fine and straight to the point BUT the moment a cuss word is included the anger goes up and increases the harsh tone of it.

Now before something happens I am done with this, this is the best way I can put. I wont reply to another post and you guys can go have fun!

EDIT______ Didnt see the one above, it will be dropped.

(Oh, and I always feel like I have to explain myself when I feel the point is messed, its just a old habit. I normally dont give up until people understand what I am saying completely. Is a a bad habit? Depends on topic)

Edited by Shadon

Tone is something easy to botch with text! To be honest, it's not so big a deal that members are being made to feel like shit left and right. "Don't do that, please." is the sort of tone that will get you ignored, it is insincere and lacking in authority. Text-based forums are not classrooms or anything like a physical environment where body language and tone of voice can make all the difference. If you want something to sound authoritative on a forum you need to word your responses harshly to get the point across for disciplinary purposes. I know some of you think you're being perfectly reasonable when you give examples of what would be a good thing to say or you propose a different way of handling a situation but, in reality, on a forum of this size nobody would bother listening to you, because you'd be a complete pushover.

The staff have already been there, trying politeness all the time. All mods tend to do this when they are new because they don't have the confidence of someone who has been staff for a long time. New staff learn quickly that people don't listen to you if you're mr/mrs nice person. If one can sort an issue with a simple "shut the fuck up or get the fuck out" then it's an efficient way to do things.

Oh and one more thing, if you're breaking rules to the point that a staff member gets pissed off with you then you deserve to get yelled at. It's not a social injustice or psychological harm, it's being told to stop being a twat.

• Thumbs Up 6

I see what you mean... I just dont see how that is the case. Normally when I tell someone to calm down in my normal nice tone people stop. (Trolls are an exception)

So I never understood why a harsh tone is even needed... Actually reading what I just said I try to calm people down (Which works) which normally makes them drop the topic without any rage and either move on without having to lock the topic or if it does get locked nobody has a problem with it. (Oh, and SR is not the only place I mod at, there are others (But I use different names, I normally use a single name for about 3 forums)

But I dont care anymore, be as harsh as you want, be as cool as you want, manage the place the way you know how and have fun with it.

(In before I get told my trick does not work and I am full of myself so to answer that, my trick works for me very fast and friendly and I am very full of myself, I had too much success not to be full of myself.biggrin.png)

I see what you mean... I just dont see how that is the case. Normally when I tell someone to calm down in my normal nice tone people stop. (Trolls are an exception)

So I never understood why a harsh tone is even needed... Actually reading what I just said I try to calm people down (Which works) which normally makes them drop the topic without any rage and either move on without having to lock the topic or if it does get locked nobody has a problem with it. (Oh, and SR is not the only place I mod at, there are others (But I use different names, I normally use a single name for about 3 forums)

But I dont care anymore, be as harsh as you want, be as cool as you want, manage the place the way you know how and have fun with it.

(In before I get told my trick does not work and I am full of myself so to answer that, my trick works for me very fast and friendly and I am very full of myself, I had too much success not to be full of myself.biggrin.png)

Dude, they understood what you are saying and are currently handling the problem. That's what Roarz stated in the Staff Feedback results. I recommend that you actually read it because it addresses everything we have said up to this point. You keep saying you get it and moved on but you keep dragging it out.

Do me a favour and show me which forum(s) you work at.

Ditto.

Edited by Abominal Taz
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is going to be the last time I make a post or ever log in, if you want to use a PM to me feel free but I will not reply. I am the researcher. I hear several rumors, go to the place and test to see if the rumors are correct for my own personal use. With proper permission I was able to use another name if I dont go over bored. To end this entire thing I really dont like any of you (Other then the admins and the team that works on the main site with the news) So you dont like me? Good, I dont want any of you to like me, I am just a shadow that will be forgotten but had an impact.

You wanted the other forums he works at? Here you go... Oh wait, I dont feel comfortable revealing other forums because of this.

I will not allow many of you trolls from here going to the other forums and troll so because of this post I will not reveal the other places.

This is my final words, you can use what happened to improve or yell. I dont care, I came here for what I wanted to do and nothing else, it seems I over stayed my welcome a long time ago and I do apologize for that, I just got carried away.

I admit it was a mistake using another name however I was trying a new strategy that failed.

But dont worry, I too have learned from all this and you will never see me again, and after talking to the one that the name I used he will not be attending either. Now go back to what you do best.

Now if my predictions are correct, this post will be deleted (Or the link topic will) and we all will go away from this either happy, or enraged. That is all.

This is going to be the last time I make a post or ever log in, if you want to use a PM to me feel free but I will not reply. I am the researcher. I hear several rumors, go to the place and test to see if the rumors are correct for my own personal use. With proper permission I was able to use another name if I dont go over bored.

I don't care if you read this or not, but this is unbelievable bullshit. Have a good one mate.

Oh my, but good admin, I recall you said to drop it and you continue to go on stating the obvious on what I intended. I didn't think it would get so far as to this but you live and learn. And it is not running away if you say to drop something. Contradicting? Perhaps.

You are correct, I am not moderator material, that is why I am not a moderator. But I do understand members and what happens when many get mad and spread rumors. I could go out and say how mean you are right now. But I will not due to it not being apart of my list of things to do.

It appears a fight just broke out between us good admin, I do hope you dont shift the blame but the odds of that happening are 100% but I had to get back at him anyway. So what should be done now expert? 8 years of moderating and you just now see the problems coming up from the members. What is your almighty choice now? Your expertise must have the best choice for a situation such as this good sir. Choose wisely.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, after a long chat with the admin I talked him into making this topic, in the end it seems the staff will try to be nicer so my mission is complete.

But I do understand members

From a member's perspective, I don't think you do. Most of us don't have any major issues here. We'll voice gripes, but most of us are happy here.

Besides you're not making any sense to me

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh my, but good admin, I recall you said to drop it and you continue to go on stating the obvious on what I intended. I didn't think it would get so far as to this but you live and learn. And it is not running away if you say to drop something. Contradicting? Perhaps.

You are correct, I am not moderator material, that is why I am not a moderator. But I do understand members and what happens when many get mad and spread rumors. I could go out and say how mean you are right now. But I will not due to it not being apart of my list of things to do.

It appears a fight just broke out between us good admin, I do hope you dont shift the blame but the odds of that happening are 100% but I had to get back at him anyway. So what should be done now expert? 8 years of moderating and you just now see the problems coming up from the members. What is your almighty choice now? Your expertise must have the best choice for a situation such as this good sir. Choose wisely.

Are you really challenging the staff? Do you even know what you are doing right now?

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, after a long chat with the admin I talked him into making this topic, in the end it seems the staff will try to be nicer so my mission is complete.

No.

Edited by Abominal Taz

What should be done? I thought you had made your last post. I wasn't aware you wanted me to do anything about you. I don't ban people for arguing with me XP.

I have dealt with member problems for all the 8 years I've been staff, and a handful people saying "you could be less mean sometimes" does not constitute a problem. Or maybe it's like evidence of the apocalypse or some shit. Honestly, you're just making yourself look even more ridiculous now, so quit before you just make it worse. Stand by what you say and bugger off, show some integrity.

Oh and this is a staff matter, this does not give members permission to start flaming theresearcher. I understand you're pissed off with him slagging off the forum, I understand perfectly, but be aware that by attacking theresearcher you are breaking the forum rules. I will have no choice but to hand out strikes if it continues, so leave him be.

• Thumbs Up 5

This isn't an excuse for you regular members to join in, so please knock off some of your more hostile tones. The staff is what Shadon has been targeting in his posts, so there's no need for you guys to replicate such anger.