Awoo.

Should there be more Sonic Storybook Series games?

xTrickyWolfy

I apologize if this topic has been made recently. lol

Anyways, I actually enjoyed Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic and the Black Knight. I know a lot of fans blow up at the mention of these storybook games, but I think they are pretty interesting.

I heard they were making a 3rd one. Does anyone know what it is yet?

What could be another storybook game? Haha just for fun. :] Which character would play who?

• Thumbs Up 1

I would love another one. I did not like Black Knight, but Secret Rings was up my alley.

Pretty sure they cancelled the brand though, if they didn't, that's cool.

Not sure what works I'd like to see used though except for obviously inappropriate ones for a Sonic game (Sonic and the Elder Gods.. HNGGH!!!).

I'd like to see another Storybook game, as I loved Secret Rings, but thought Black Knight was meh. I thought I did hear something about SEGA announcing on their Facebook last June announcing a third one.

There's supposed to be these choices:

Greek Mythology and Legends, Western/Cowboy, Sci-Fi, and Horror.

Out of all of those, I'd like to see a Sci-Fi themed Storybook game. But what'd I want for it is most importantly to not be on rails, and allow free movement.

Edited by Fix-It Felix
  • Thumbs Up 4

I'd like to see another Storybook game, as I loved Secret Rings, but thought Black Knight was meh. I thought I did hear something about SEGA announcing on their Facebook last June announcing a third one.

There's supposed to be these choices:

Greek Mythology and Legends, Western/Cowboy, Sci-Fi, and Horror.

Out of all of those, I'd like to see a Sci-Fi themed Storybook game. But what'd I want for it is most importantly to not be on rails, and allow free movement.

Hmm... Sci-Fi could be cool.

"Sonic and the War of the Worlds"

If they can think of an interesting setting that meshes well with Sonic's universe and COMPLETELY revamp the gameplay, I guess I wouldn't mind another one. Western or Sci-Fi could be cool.

Though to me I'd never go out of my way to say "Oh man I hope they make another Sonic Storybook game." If they make one, great, but if not, I don't really care. They seem kinda like filler material, and their quality definitely shows that.

I'd rather they just base a single stage or world on a storybook in a main title. That's one thing I like about the main titles, there are all sorts of different tropes to be used, while the Storybook games have slightly less options. Maybe there could just be a Western or Sci-Fi stage in the next big Sonic game, rather than have a whole spin-off game dedicated to one of those themes. I'd prefer that.

• Thumbs Up 2

I dunno, maybe they could have the Adventure-Heroes Sonic gameplay (improved obviously) for the storybook series? The story and focus on characters is fine, it's just the gameplay that seems off.

• Thumbs Up 1

There is one concept which I found pretty interesting. From EvanStanley on deviantART:

Sonic_and_Pandora__s_Box_by_EvanStanley.jpg

This is my idea for a Sonic game. (that's right, I'm lookin' at you, SEGA).

It's meant to be in the "storybook" sub-series, like "Sonic and the Secret Rings", and "Sonic and the Black Knight", and this time Sonic gets sucked into the world of the Greek Myths.

Sonic is accompanied by Iris, (Shahra), Goddess of Rainbows and messenger to the higher Gods. She gives him the wings off of Hermes' sandals, giving him the power of flight to aid in his quest to collect the Seven Pestilences, which the foolish and greedy King Midas (Eggman) accidentally released from Pandora's Box.

How does Sonic collect the Pestilences? Well, each one has infected the hero of a different myth, putting those characters and their stories in grave danger.

I haven't figured out all the details, but I think Sonic will have to:

-Save Icarus (Tails) from falling to his death into the ocean, thus collecting the pestilence of Pride.

-Helping Hercules (Knuckles) finish his Twelve Labors, and collecting Sloth.

-Beating the crap out of Achilles (Shadow) and collecting Wrath. (A la Perfect Chaos)

I haven't thought of the rest yet. Rouge would probably be Lust, Vector'd be Greed, Amy-- Envy, (And Eggman Gluttony). I just can't think of the characters they'd play. ('cept Eggy).

Also, when Sonic recaptures a pestilence, it's corresponding Virtue is freed, fixing the Myth that has been damaged.

Feel free to suggest ideas!

Sonic_and_Pandora__s_Box__Iris_by_EvanStanley.jpg

Sonic and Pandora's Box characters: Iris the Goddess of Rainbows!

This is my idea for a Sonic game in the "Storybook" series.She is the help character, like Shahra or Tikal. And hopefully, the same voice actor as those two.

And hey, the logo has wings now!

Of course, the only issue I've had with the Storybook titles was the gameplay. Black Knight was better than Secret Rings, at the least.

• Thumbs Up 8

They seem kinda like filler material, and their quality definitely shows that.

I don't know, I'd say Secret Rings were a pretty good example of how a spinoff can outshine the main series at times, then again, it went up directly after Sonic 06 so it's not the hardest game to outshine.

I dunno, maybe they could have the Adventure-Heroes Sonic gameplay (improved obviously) for the storybook series? The story and focus on characters is fine, it's just the gameplay that seems off.

You know what... I would not mind that at all.

Edited by Tobbii
  • Thumbs Up 2

please, the storybook games have a certain charm that the other titles do not, and adding more super forms to Sonic's roster :P

Sonic and the Necronomicon...

:B

That's kind of what I was going for with my suggestion. :P

A cowboy/western would be super cool! I would buy that in a heartbeat. There's just so many things they could do with the genre. Greek mythology would be interesting too, although I feel Sci-Fi would be a little too close to some of the stories we already have. They've already had aliens, ghosts, space, mutant creatures, cloning, hi-tech machinery, etc. so I feel it would be a little stale.

As others have said, as long as they completely rehaul the gameplay. Black Knight did lots of things right except gameplay and multiplayer (which is obviously the most important thing). Great visuals, great soundtrack, solid plot, good character development, some of the best characterisation Sonic has had, nice concept etc.

Main thing is that the Storybook games do introduce some really nice concepts with excellent presentation and production values. They just need some better gameplay execution.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd be all for it if the current gameplay for it was done away with. On rails make work for a lot of games, but for Sonic it just doesn't seem to work well since I don't exactly have the same freedom of movement as I have for all the other games.

I'd like to see them do one for Asian mythology either from China or Japan.

There is one concept which I found pretty interesting. From EvanStanley on deviantART:

Of course, the only issue I've had with the Storybook titles was the gameplay. Black Knight was better than Secret Rings, at the least.

If he makes Iris look similar to Shahra in the same sense Merlina did, I'd be more happy with her look. His idea in general sounds very good, and for some reason I wouldn't put it too far past me to think Sonic Team wouldn't take this as an influence.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sure. Motion controls got to go though.

Pretty sure they would since the Wii is on its way out and WiiRemotes/ProController seems to both be around the same level of standard when it comes to Wii U.

I personally don't like it when my games play on auto-pilot and the only thing I can really do is steer sonic left or right and jump.

I'm open for more storybook games if they change up the gameplay mechanic and you know.... have it work.

• Thumbs Up 2

Pretty sure they would since the Wii is on its way out and WiiRemotes/ProController seems to both be around the same level of standard when it comes to Wii U.

Well, I sure wouldn't mind having another Storybook game. Just make the controls and level design less dodgy and more fun, respectively .

Sonic Chronicles

Um, Bioware's (now-defunct?) handheld division made this, not Sonic Team.

Did they make the decision to use the touchscreen for every goddamn thing? Because I find it hard to believe anyone other than Sonic Team was stupid enough to make that an element in an RPG.

Colors wasn't very gimmicky. Or the Rushes/Colors DS, outside SRA's vehicles (which weren't entirely terrible anyway), though they were Dimps'...

Though I would not be surprised if they rush to force in some kind of gimmick for the first Sonic game the console gets.