Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2 Discussion, Speculation, Media Topic

Stritix

Basically, if you liked SA2 before, you'll like it now. If you're unsure, there's actually a demo you can try out before deciding if you want to buy it.

unfortunately there's no demo for SA2, which is strange, because there's a demo for JSR.

I guess I don't really need SA2 since I have it on Gamecube.

So, was this a good port?

or should I get Jet Set Radio instead?

Widescreen, graphic updates, HD, bug fixes. It's the best version of the game for sure, and one of SEGA's best ports so far. However it's not that much of a jump from the Gamecube version.

Most widescreen, graphic slightly updates , HD (resulted in way too pixelated textures sometimes), no bug fixes. It's a port. However it's exactly like the Gamecube version.

Fix'd

Edited by Jango
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hm, I'm on a fence here.

JSR or SA2, some of the things you say convince me to get SA2, but then I think to myself "It's just got better graphics"

I should probably just flip a coin.

Fix'd

It would be nice if you could make your own post instead of rudely editing mine.

Certain cutscenes wasn't set to widescreen due to technical issues. It's just a few of them, and wouldn't say it's bothersome. I didn't notice any pixelation. It all looked much smoother. And there are quite a lot of bug fixes. For example, the infamous Chao Garden out of bounds glitch has been fixed. Someone in this thread was emailing SEGA, and they confirmed they are working on a patch right now to fix even more issues. It's a port, but a pretty solid port overall & by far the best version of the game.

Hm, I'm on a fence here.

JSR or SA2, some of the things you say convince me to get SA2, but then I think to myself "It's just got better graphics"

I should probably just flip a coin.

I'd say get the one you want to play the most now, and then get the other later. The Sonic Adventure 2 port is basically just an update, but pretty solid. But it's not worth getting over an entirely new game if you already have a working copy.

If I were you, I'd go for the one I haven't played right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah.

I won a competition for a SA2 code at SEGA forums and Ken still hasn't gotten back to me on that.

Just remembered.

Jet Set Radio it is then.

Oh yeah.

I won a competition for a SA2 code at SEGA forums and Ken still hasn't gotten back to me on that.

Just remembered.

Jet Set Radio it is then.

Ughh... derr. I still was going to suggest JSR since you own the game for the Cube, but anyways...

It would be nice if you could make your own post instead of rudely editing mine.

Certain cutscenes wasn't set to widescreen due to technical issues. It's just a few of them, and wouldn't say it's bothersome. I didn't notice any pixelation. It all looked much smoother. And there are quite a lot of bug fixes. For example, the infamous Chao Garden out of bounds glitch has been fixed. Someone in this thread was emailing SEGA, and they confirmed they are working on a patch right now to fix even more issues. It's a port, but a pretty solid port overall & by far the best version of the game.

I'd say get the one you want to play the most now, and then get the other later. The Sonic Adventure 2 port is basically just an update, but pretty solid. But it's not worth getting over an entirely new game if you already have a working copy.

If I were you, I'd go for the one I haven't played right now.

I didn't "rudely" edited your post, don't act like I've punched you. I don't know about you, but I'm very observant in games. There are cutscenes tested with the 16:9 hack (Dolphin) that work perfectly well, yet they are in 3:4 in this port. You're not wrong saying the graphics looks smoother, but it ain't that jaw drop thing. There are lots of pixelations in all kind of 2D textures (level select screen, icons, the logo itself) and some texture glitches in-game too (check the first TailsxEgg boss). You said there are lots of bug fixes, yet only mentioned one. I didn't ran into many bugs with the DC version, and didn't with this port, but yet, they still happen.

I'm not bashing the game, you know I had lot of fate in this one, but I can't let the hype, nostalgia or something else blind me.

It does runs 60fps 99% of the time tho smile.png I could call it the best version, if you could map the buttons and play Battle online, but that didn't happened :/

Edited by Jango
  • Thumbs Up 1

And there are quite a lot of bug fixes.
You said there are lots of bug fixes, yet only mentioned one.

I've got this sudden feeling of deja vu.

They did fix quite a lot of bugs in the new HD port.

I want you to name these lots of bugs, because I still had encountered most of then... texture glitches or not.

So are you going to quantify "a lot" this time?

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ehhh, both aren't really that good of ports, IMO, at least. Go for NiGHTS.

The porting job on NiGHTS is pretty awful. They've had four years to fix the problems from the PS2 version. None of them were fixed.

However, it's an exaggeration to say the controls are only eight-way. NiGHTS is a much better game than SA2 or JSR, but SA2 and JSR have much better ports. Basically, if you're never gonna get a Saturn, NiGHTS is your best bet. If you do see yourself owning a Saturn someday, do yourself a favour and stay away from that port.

I've got this sudden feeling of deja vu.

I don't know if that was meant to me... hey, that's deja vu indeed. I think me and -L- have some sort of connection regarding numbered things.

Ok, ok, let's forget the bugs and glitches talk, since Sega is making this patch anyway.

Edited by Jango

Chao Garden out of bounds glitch has been fixed, Radical Highway collision issues with the roofs has been fixed, an area to get out of bounds in City Escape has been fixed. Shall I continue?

Ok, ok, let's forget the bugs and glitches talk, since Sega is making this patch anyway.

I'm hoping they fix the select a stage widescreen camera issues. It jumps about a lot.

Off topic, but why can't they patch Sonic next gen?

Most of these things they're patching in SA2 are really obscure things to encounter.

First I've heard of any patching *shrugs*

Maybe they will fix that rail that sends you down instead of up on that one Chao mission.

Or fixing the suspension rails in Radical Highway so you don't fall through them when you're trying to land on them for the Chao mission.

It's 6 years old by this point, it's really best left alone :x besides they'd need to actually finish the game and that would take a lot more effort than I suspect this SA2 patch will. It's the first I've heard about this patch btw. Maybe if it's good enough I may even buy it despite owning SA2:B already - I was initially tempted but money issues put me off.

Edited by Semi-colon e

I hope this patch fix the AUDIO ISSUES, seriously, I think it's worst than the other versions. They should add an option to set the volume of the music AND the dialogue. But the worst thing is, I don't know if I can call that a bug or a tech issue, but the damn: "I want to do the light speed dash! NOPE, bounce into that pit". The pixelated textures in the logo, level select screen, etc. Besides that, the common bugs of going through low walls, stick to trees on the Chao Garden, grab on a edge and fall right after climb it...

I hope this patch fix the AUDIO ISSUES, seriously, I think it's worst than the other versions. They should add an option to set the volume of the music AND the dialogue. But the worst thing is, I don't know if I can call that a bug or a tech issue, but the damn: "I want to do the light speed dash! NOPE, bounce into that pit". The pixelated textures in the logo, level select screen, etc. Besides that, the common bugs of going through low walls, stick to trees on the Chao Garden, grab on a edge and fall right after climb it...

Yeah, same.

I've always hated how the music would be louder than the dialouge and vice versa.

It's the reason why I just switched it to japanese because I can't understand what they're saying.

I know I know subtitles, the english dialouge just sounded like jibberish when it was trying to battle with music to see who can play the loudest.

Chao Garden out of bounds glitch has been fixed, Radical Highway collision issues with the roofs has been fixed, an area to get out of bounds in City Escape has been fixed. Shall I continue?

Actually explaining your point with examples rather than just making a nebulous statement of questionable accuracy and then repeatedly beating people over the head with it when they take issue would be preferable, yes; so by all means continue if for no other reason than to establish a list of things that we already know they don't need to fix with this patch.

Because they already got your $60, so the returns on actually finishing the game would be moot.

Super cynical, I know, but that's basically the situation.

Edited by Tornado

Actually explaining your point with examples rather than just making a nebulous statement of questionable accuracy and then repeatedly beating people over the head with it when they take issue would be preferable, yes; so by all means continue if for no other reason than to establish a list of things that we already know they don't need to fix with this patch.

Is there any need to be so petty? No. The whole point of my post was to give brief information on what they did with the port in response to someone who was questioning if he should buy it. I did give one example of a bug fix. Listing more would destroy the whole point of it being brief, as I would also have to list several examples for the others. And my intention of the post isn't to analyse the game.

Is there any need to be so petty?

It's not being petty to ask you to back up what you were asserting when you had brought up that exact thing before and then didn't bother doing so when asked then and you in fact hadn't bothered this time either until your feet were put to the fire.

It's not being petty to ask you to back up what you were asserting when you had brought up that exact thing before and then didn't bother doing so when asked then and you in fact hadn't bothered this time either until your feet were put to the fire.

Brief posts aren't against the rules, and should be perfectly fine in response to something like "Should I buy it?" Not every post I make has to be backed up with information. The post you made this time was posted 20 minutes after his. 20 minutes. How can you say I hadn't bothered this time? You're not really making much sense.

Brief posts aren't against the rules, and should be perfectly fine in response to something like "Should I buy it?" Not every post I make has to be backed up with information. The post you made this time was posted 20 minutes after his. 20 minutes. How can you say I hadn't bothered this time? You're not really making much sense.

Yeah. 20 minutes after he asked you what bugs they fixed, and 20 minutes and a month after the last time he asked you how what bugs they fixed.

I'll make this simple for you: You don't have a leg to stand on in regards to credibility for stating what Sega might or might not have done for this port. So when someone asks a question about whether the port is worth buying and you repeat something you said in the past but refused to back up, all sorts of alarm bells go off; and pointing out that you still hadn't bothered to actually quantify the assertion you've repeatedly made is no great sin.

By all means explain what exactly Sega did for this port to make it better when someone asks whether it is worth buying. But don't throw around your vague "they did a lot of things" statement and then take issue when people question you.

Edited by Tornado