Awoo.

The Guilty Pleasures Thread

Johnny Boy

Well, I enjoy the old Care Bears film.

Oh good, I'm not the only one. :P

Actually, the franchise in general is a guilty pleasure of mine. I blame nostalgia - the Nelvana version of the show was one of my favorite things to watch as a kid. I had a bunch of episodes recorded on a VHS tape....and then my brother had to go an accidentally delete them. -__-

I'll say this though; screw AiCal, it's way too saccharine and junk for my liking. MLP: FiM did it much better in regards to reviving old shows of the 80s based on merchandise. Yeah, I'm a closet Pegasister as well. Sorta. There's another guilty pleasure I suppose.

And Nepenthe, I've heard about that sequel. My initial thought was; 'What the heck is this?' I haven't read it though; is it any good?

• Thumbs Up 2

And Nepenthe, I've heard about that sequel. My initial thought was; 'What the heck is this?' I haven't read it though; is it any good?

I only read through it a few times in high school, but what I remember reading was pretty decent. A lot of it was very political as the dogs decided what they wanted to do. Some wanted to leave, others wanted to stay; cue a lot of debate and fighting. The Sirius dogs are also kind of mysterious, allowing the dogs to not need food or sleep so they could make a decision as quickly as possible. It was a lot of surreal drama. xD

Shark Tale

51CPEQV2DRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Oh look another Dreamworks movie. This is possibly the most negatively reviewed out of all the Dreamworks films, hell it even has a 36% on Rotten Tomatoes. And much like Madagascar, it has big name celebrity voices, pop culture references, pop songs, and trying to be all modern with it's humor. But unlike Madagascar, which I am merely soft towards, I freaking LOVE Shark Tale. Yeah feel free to be shocked and you can lecture me about all of it's flaws, but you know what? I don't freaking care, I know this movie has a ton of flaws but I still love it to death. Why you may ask? Well for one thing, it has Will Smith in it, and he's one of my favorite actors. I also think Angelina Jolie and Robert De Niro did a good job in this film as well. Though, I will admit some of the jokes and references in this film are a bit dated nowadays. Don't believe me? There's even one scene where two Jellyfish are playing a Playstation 2 game. Like I said, dated. And sometimes the film can play pop songs that you'd hear on the radio a little to much at times. But somehow I still manage to look past each and every last flaw of shark tale and get a kick out of it as if I'm watching it for the first time. In my Opinion, Shark Tale is the embodiment of "So bad, it's good".

My little pony

Terrible fanbase, worst thing to happen to popular culture today and I despise every brony that lives, this makes me pretty sick.

:P Isn't that a little closed-minded? Just liking something doesn't make somebody into a creepy pervert. And I don't see how it's a bad thing? But eh, whatever.

Anyway, I can't think of a lot of current guilty pleasures, since many of my interests are... not completely ridiculed overall? At one point I really liked Troll in Central Park as a sorta guilty pleasure, although now my opinion's changed quite a bit. NIMH 2 used to be a guilty pleasure as well, until I... tried to sit through it a few years later.

One I can think of, however, is National Treasure. Yes, it has Nic Cage. Yes, the acting and writing isn't breathtaking, but I still find it to be an entertaining flick in spite of its flaws.

I also love Japanese Digimon, which is oddly pretty frowned upon in a lot of the internet circles I visit. :|a

I like anime dubs if they're done well. Tenchi Muyo and Sailor Moon are exceptions because they're awesomely bad.

Same here. I don't hate dubs. They just don't really capture the character all that well, if it was something like Lucky Star I hate lucky star I'd watch it in English.

I get a slight kick out of playing Silver's 06 levels. I'm so sorry. Despite the terrible design, they just entertain me becausse I like the idea of psychic powers.

Despite that video also making me sick to my stomach, you're overexagerating don't you think? I can think of so many other much worse things in pop culture these days such as obsession with swag or that YOLO shit. I also, think the Sonic fanbase is much worse than any other fanbase yet I'm friends with many people in it, especially on here showing that even it is not that bad, there are plenty of possitives to the sonic fanbase as well like its massive fangame community and of course the wonderful SSMB. It's unfair to judge everyone in a fanbase based on just its negatives, bronies have a lot more possitives than negatives I'd say, go ahead and call me biased on both accounts I don't care, I'm a despicable scumbag anyways.

But bronies are the new Sonic fans.

I can't tell anyone I like this show because I'd be put on the same level as them.

Where ever I go I see ponies everywhere, like they're trying to shove it down you throat.

Believe me I've hung out with some bronies, really nice people, but the rest are just urrggh.

I'm sure you're nice.

I liked Freddy Got Fingered.

Bite me harder.

That movie, haha I love it.

I'd even go so far to defend it Tom green is amazing.

I can see why it got the worst film award, but darn I love that movie

Where ever I go I see ponies everywhere, like they're trying to shove it down you throat.

I could easily say the same about anime, half naked women, and TF2...

Edited by Slash
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yumekui_Merry_manga_Volume_1.jpg

This. I haven't read the manga but I watched the show. Subbed, when it came out. I hate subs and will avoid them if I can.

This anime also has a lot of things in it that I hate about a lot of anime. In fact, I still don't recall exactly why I ended up watching this. I think it was because I saw a preview image for the show on some site it and it showed Engi. I thought that was the main character at first haha. Then I found out it involved dreams and crap like that, and if anyone knows me I love that shit. Just as an aside, its probably why I loved the shit outta Inception. ANYWAY - when I started watching this show it had all the "SCHOOL KIDZ LAWL" and the overall STYLE of it tends not to be anything I like. I was like WHY AM I WATCHING THIS BUT WHY CAN'T I STOP WATCHING THIS.

But for some reason I liked it a lot.

That's why its my guilty pleasure.

Edited by DesertPunk
  • Thumbs Up 1

I like anime dubs if they're done well. Tenchi Muyo and Sailor Moon are exceptions because they're awesomely bad.

This. I personally think DBZ and YuYu Hakusho were/are some of the best dubbed Anime series to date. I like them better than the original Japanese Version

Well, I enjoy the old Care Bears film. It's bad but entertaining to watch every once in a while. Same for Batman and Robin. I also think The last Airbender is no where near as bad as people claim. Does it have problems? Yes. Lots. Some meh effects, oversimplified dialogue and some bad acting. But is it a disgrace to the show? No. It respects it pretty well. it's not Dragon ball Evolution which spat on the Dragon ball.

I also like TOM 4. not as much as the others, but I think he gets way too much hate. And yeah, I love anime dubs as well. Even when they're cheesy, it's charming.

Um... wow. I'm sorry that my being apart of a group of people who genuinely like the same show as me is enough to make you despise me but I sincerely think you need to widen your eyes a bit. Sure the fanbase has some really odd and not very likeable people in it but so does every fanbase. If you're going to generalize everyone in a fandom and despise them because of said generalization whether or not it's actually true, the you might as well hate anyone who likes anything. There are Sonic fans who are pretty bad(Purists, flamers, etc.), same for Legend of Zelda fans, Metroid fans, Naruto fans, Calvin and Hobbes fans, Toonami fans and so on. Does that automatically mean that everyone single person in those fanbases are like that? Hell no. You don't see me saying how much I despise every Sonic fan because there are some bad apples in the fanbase.

Personally, I may be biased but I don't think the brony fanbase is bad at all. I don't think any fanbase is actually bad. Every fanbase has good apples and bad apples. And that's all I will say on the matter because this is completely off topic.

Dude stop jumping the gun. I don't think she hates all the fanbase she was probably exaggerating there, maybe see encounters a lot of fantards (which there are many just the like Sonic fanbase has)? Not everybody likes the show as much as some of you guys do, I think she is entitled to her criticism now to she elaborated herself a bit more in her second post.

I do agree with her I get sick of see it everywhere I go on the internet, you can't even search for an image on Google without running into something FiM related amongst your search.

I actually like the first Care Bears movie and the TV show, now the second one that is a guilty pleasure!tongue.png

Edited by BW199148

Some of you have no idea how annoying MLP is to people who don't watch it. It's a stupid fad that won't be around next year.

I'm not calling the show bad or anything, I've only seen clips of the show here and there and it seemed pretty innocent. It's just the fan base.Not the entire fan base, but those who bring up ponies in every topic.

• Thumbs Up 1

In the end, I did enjoy all three Bayformers series. I also like the Madagascar series, Money Talks (without a doubt, this is one of Chris Tucker's funniest performaces along with Rush Hour 1 and Friday), and both Space Jam and Looney Tunes: Back In Action. Also like Shadow the Hedgehog as well.

I may have other guilty pleasures, but I can't think of them right now.

As mentioned by others i freaking loved Transformers 1,2 & 3

And much like Madagascar, it has big name celebrity voices, pop culture references, pop songs, and trying to be all modern with it's humor

NIMH 2 used to be a guilty pleasure as well, until I... tried to sit through it a few years later.

I love Bay Transformers, NIMH 2 and Madagascar.

All Dogs Go To Heaven 2. I like it better than the original, D;.

Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis). I find it really fun even though everyone else seems to hate it LOL.

Dear My Friend from Unleashed. Shut up >:U

Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee. Seems like people hate this game too.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Shut up, D;.

All Dogs Go To Heaven 2. I like it better than the original, D;.

Whut? I am going to bitch slap you for saying this! You choose Charlie Sheen over Burt Reynolds! AGH! YOU MONSTER! laugh.png

Thanks Zinos, yeah Space Jam:

Seriously I don't know why I love this movie, maybe because when I was young I loved the Looney Tunes (still do). Its hard to describe why its just a great Nostalgia Bomb for me. R. Kelly also did I Believe Can Fly which was massive hit probably the only thing some people remember from the film. Its no Who Frame Rodger Rabbit. But I still watch it and enjoy it.

While I am the topic of old animated shows getting Movies. I am the only one who didn't like the Tom & Jerry movie. Even as a Kid I think one of the mine reasons was there was no violent chases and the fact that they both talked throughout the movie! I know in the cartoons Tom & Jerry did do so minor tiny talking bits but that was used for Comic effect. That movie was trying to hard to be Disney.sleep.png

Edited by BW199148
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Human Centipede was awesome I though LOL. It was like half suspense, and then at one point it just looses it and almost becomes funny, to me anyways XD.

And yeah, I like Charlie Sheen's voice as Charlie better. He doesn't sound like a super old dog, but like the cocky 2-bit piece of trash that Charlie is (for both *shot*). But seriously, Burt is great at it, I just have a personal opinion XD. That aside, I liked the story and such. Burt's animated movies always felt weird to me, and some of the animation styles themselves or the art always felt strange to me, so that was probably why. It's still a great movie, the original I mean, I just like the second one more.

And does Battlefield 3 count? I love that game to bits LOL.

The Human Centipede was awesome I though LOL. It was like half suspense, and then at one point it just looses it and almost becomes funny, to me anyways XD.

And yeah, I like Charlie Sheen's voice as Charlie better. He doesn't sound like a super old dog, but like the cocky 2-bit piece of trash that Charlie is (for both *shot*). But seriously, Burt is great at it, I just have a personal opinion XD. That aside, I liked the story and such. Burt's animated movies always felt weird to me, and some of the animation styles themselves or the art always felt strange to me, so that was probably why. It's still a great movie, the original I mean, I just like the second one more.

And does Battlefield 3 count? I love that game to bits LOL.

Since I can't think of any movies, games, TV shows, or books at the moment, I suppose I'll go with Fanfiction. Anyone ever read My Immortal?

Phew, it's such a disgrace to fanfiction everywhere, but it's just such a hilarious piece of work that has me in awful stitches whenever I read it.

Oh and as some other people have stated, I also get a kick out of the Bayformer movies (the first and third ones. I hate ROTF with a fucking passion). Hey I have Megatron as my avatar it's pretty much obvious I would have a soft spot in my heart for these films.

I actually prefer the third Care Bears movie to the second, which is apparently worse, but I prefer the plot in the third while in the second it doesn't make much sense. smile.png