Awoo.

One more main series game for Sonic: To be or not to be?

the blu blur

With the next generation of game platforms on the horizon being ushered in by Nintendo (for the first time since 1985), A new road lies ahead for the Sonic the Hedgehog series, and a guaranteed clean slate for every game franchise under the sun. It has been a long seven or so years for this console generation, and although it finally seems to be nearing its end in twilight years, Should Sega hold onto their next big Sonic title or should they go

with a main series entry? (notwithstanding Sonic 4, and ASR being their big game for 2012).

As you know, there have been at least 4 main Sonic games in this current generation thus far, and while games like Sonic Colors presented a fresh start for both Sonic Team, and the series as a whole for this gen, Sonic Generations, acted very much like closure for this generation; providing a fitting end for things to come for the series, and I personally could not have see a better theme be used for last years anniversary.

With all that in mind, what do you think Sega should do for the next big main series title? Do you think they can squeeze off run more round from the chamber as a swan song for Sonic in this generation, or should they wait it and see what the next generation has to offer before stepping up to the plate?

I personally of the latter for what they should do, as I believe the recently announced ASR2 is a great stop gap for the main series, while Sonic 4 handles the more modest entries.

Edited by the blu blur

I was under the impression that Sonic Generations was the swansong of the previous 20 years. After that, they'd start taking things in a new direction.

That being said, I vote to keep on keeping on with the classic Sonic throwback games, and start anew with 3D Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 5

I was under the impression that Sonic Generations was the swansong of the previous 20 years. After that, they'd start taking things in a new direction.

That being said, I vote to keep on keeping on with the classic Sonic throwback games, and start anew with 3D Sonic.

This also presents a point that I probably should have turned this into a poll. Its been awhile since I posted a topic, so mind my missed opportunity on that one. -_-'

I hope we don't get another main series Sonic game this soon so that way Sonic Team can spend another year or more extra time working on the next big title. I'm happy with just S4E2 and All Stars Racing right now.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't think Sega or the fanbase are in such dire straights that they need to cobble together another game so soon. Besides, the more time they have to create and initiate a game concept that's actually exciting and make decent use of the new hardware coming up, the better.

I'm confused on what OP is asking for so I'll just throw in my two cents on what I'm getting.

I do want to see Sega do another original game for Sonic and make it the best they can but honestly I rather see that kind of game until these next few games comes out. I'm too busy hyping ASRT at the moment.

But I do hope Sega wrote down some notes and make something that will make everyone drop dead. :P

Iizuka said that after Generations he would like to try a new direction for Sonic.

Sonic games are usually announced between March-May. So if we don't get an announcement of another main Sonic game by the end of this month, I guess for the first time in 9 years we won't have a yearly 3D Sonic game.

I don't think Sega or the fanbase are in such dire straights that they need to cobble together another game so soon. Besides, the more time they have to create and initiate a game concept that's actually exciting and make decent use of the new hardware coming up, the better.

This

Also seeing as how huge Sonic levels have to be (even if you just run through them in the matter of 2-4 minutes)

the extra development and polish time can only do good.

I want the next Sonic game to at least have 3-4, maybe even 5 years development time (the former of the former is most likely). Make the game good and proper, take advantage of all that next-gen hardware can allow and produce a game on the scale (not necessarily quality or such) in terms of budget and ambition, as Unleashed.

Heck, if they can, they should use the next game as the launch vehicle of "The Hedgehog Engine 2.0" or whatever.

• Thumbs Up 5

Iizuka says they're starting a new direction after Generations, Balough says there will be more of the same, I don't know what to think.

• Thumbs Up 1

Iizuka says they're starting a new direction after Generations, Balough says there will be more of the same, I don't know what to think.

I wouldn't mind if a main Sonic game was announced at a later time this year, I honestly wouldn't see the problem but if they don't then I still think it would be for the best as not only will it give them more time to work on the next main title and it's new features, but this would also give them time to focus and also finish working more on SASRT and Sonic 4 Ep 2. I don't think it should come out too soon though, they should take their time and not rush through of course, but if it was announced later this year then I'd be okay with that, In the meantime we have two treats to look forward too for this year, I'm sure both S4 EP2 and ASRT will keep us satisfied till the next game.

Edited by C.J

As much as I am impatient, I would have to say that giving a new Sonic game more development time would be the best way to go. With Sonic 4 Episode 2 and ASRT coming this year, I'd say Sonic has a fairly good lineup for 2012. Plus Generations felt like one big blast from the past, so the logical thing to do would be to start with a relatively clean slate for the future. Instead of making a good game for current consoles, they should take the time to make a fantastic one for next-gen.

In the meantime, they should try to keep us occupied so the wait doesn't feel long. S4E2, ASRT, and DLC for Generations would be perfect to tide us over while they take extra time to polish a new experience for us.

Yeah no, I doubt Sega are in so much hot water that they need to shovel out titles year after year to meet some hypothetical demand with the fanbase. There are plenty of spin offs that can keep the fanbase patient until the announcement of the next mainstream game. Last thing we need is for Sonic Team to rush out another title with things lacking in its gameplay, or story and have another reason for this fanbase to complain.

• Thumbs Up 6

I imagine the next game will probably be something in 2013 for the Wii U. It'll prolly feel slightly different and new in the same way 2006/Secret Rings did ushering in the current generation, but probably nothing crazily different. They've got a good thing going lately so I doubt they have any intention of chucking out all the progress they've made during the "Unleashed trilogy".

Is it asking too much if I wanted them to wait to at least 2014 to announce the next game?

EDIT: Apparently Facebook is a member.

Edited by The Batman

Is it asking too much if I wanted them to wait to at least 2014 to announce the next game?

EDIT: Apparently Facebook is a member.

Well I'm certainly against that. They have already stated that they're sticking with the cursed Unleashed gameplay. Game companies usually start working on the next major title as soon as they have released the one they were working on. What would be the point of waiting until 2014 for another Unleashed sequel? Just for a bit of extra polish?

Edited by -L-

Well I'm certainly against that. They have already stated that they're sticking with the cursed Unleashed gameplay. Game companies usually start working on the next major title as soon as they have released the one they were working on. What would be the point of waiting until 2014 for another Unleashed sequel? Just for a bit of extra polish?

When was it ever confirmed that we're even getting an Unleashed sequel?

When was it ever confirmed that we're even getting an Unleashed sequel?

I obviously meant gameplay-wise.

Sonic Unleashed - Sonic Colours - Sonic Generations - The Next

I obviously meant gameplay-wise.

Sonic Unleashed - Sonic Colours - Sonic Generations - The Next

Yeah, I already know what you meant but you make it seem like you already know for sure what's the next game is going to be. Regardless if it's a another Sonic game with the Unleashed gameplay or something completely new, I wouldn't mind waiting till 2014 or Sonic Team spend as much time as they need to for the next big game as long as we still get spinoffs.

Edited by sonfan1984

Yeah, I already know what you meant but you make it seem like you already know what's the next game is going to be. Regardless if it's a another Sonic game with the Unleashed gameplay or something completely new

They have already stated that they're sticking with the Unleashed gameplay. Everyone that has read the interview knows that it is.

I wouldn't mind waiting till 2014 or spend as much time as they need to for the next big game as long as we still get spinoffs.

You'd rather hold off the next major title for more spin offs? ...why?

They have already stated that they're sticking with the Unleashed gameplay. Everyone that has read the interview knows that it is.

Who have said that?

You'd rather hold off the next major title for more spin offs? ...why?

Yes, so they can work on the major game some more and make it really great. I've already said that.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

Who have said that?

I'm sure it's from a recent Ken Barlow interview.

Yes, so they can work on the game some more. I've already said that.

They don't make long Sonic games any more. The only thing that extra development time would most likely add is extra polish, which isn't worth waiting for since they can create patches.

Ken says one thing while Iizuka says something completely different. I don't know who to believe so it's best to wait and see what happens.