Awoo.

All-Stars Racing Transformed: The Racer Roster Thread

Barry the Nomad

We're not getting Blaze. End of story.

Boycott the game and go on whatever pointless charade you're on, we really don't care. But drop the damn subject already, because you're testing everyone's patience with this rampant demand.

I hope the guy who decided no Blaze gets fired.

Sorry, but S0L just made it clear:

THAAAAAAAAAAAAANK GOOOOOOOOD

Although let us have a moment of silence for Orbot and Cubot.

I hope the guy who decided no Blaze gets fired.

Just shut the fuck up already. We know you like Blaze.

Edit: Well, Carbo beat me to it.

Edited by Billionaire Playboy Wario
  • Thumbs Up 5

Hey. They still might be a part of Eggmans vehicle. Or metal Sonic. Edited by Hedgehogs Boost
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just noticed something, probably ovious and probably noticed a long ago by others anyway: characters and stages by now are almost only from the Dreamcast era and below it (with the exeption of Billy Hatcher and Zobio&Zobiko). The "modern era" (like the Platinum Games line, Resonance of Fate, Alpha Protocol, Binary Domain etc.) wasn't present in the first game. So i really hope we will get something from that this time. After all, they are still SEGA games, right?

• Thumbs Up 1

ignore Miru guys, just another Blaze fan spreading his obsession for Blaze through the entire board, seriously look at his posts.

blaze

blaze

Blaze

on topic now...

so.. no more sonic characters then? that's pretty cool, i hope Clockwork Knight gets some love, like a wind up powered toy car or something, loved that game when i was young.

• Thumbs Up 2

ignore Miru guys, just another Blaze fan spreading his obsession for Blaze through the entire board, seriously look at his posts.

blaze

blaze

Blaze

on topic now...

so.. no more sonic characters then? that's pretty cool, i hope Clockwork Knight gets some love, like a wind up powered toy car or something, loved that game when i was young.

That would be awesome, but what would he ride? I mean he's got Barobaro his part Donkey part wine bottle steed is incapable of transforming. Though I guess he could ride one of his games bosses? There's that transforming robo that turns into a jet in the first game, then there's the book page that turns into various animals.

That would be awesome, but what would he ride? I mean he's got Barobaro his part Donkey part wine bottle steed is incapable of transforming. Though I guess he could ride one of his games bosses? There's that transforming robo that turns into a jet in the first game, then there's the book page that turns into various animals.

• Thumbs Up 1

He already said a wind-up toy car. :V

My bad. I read Clockwork Knight and immediately went to town.

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 2

I never really heard of Clockwork Knight until this topic, checked out some vids, and I gotta say I'd love it if some of that stuff got into this game.

Plus, the main character fights with a frigin Keyblade, that's just plain awesome imo.

You know, one thing that constantly surprises me is the vociferous love for so many of the older SEGA games.

I'm actually genuinely curious to know how old some of you are... I'll start :)

I'm 37. Which means I pretty much grew up playing a lot of the classic SEGA games when they first came out. I've owned pretty much every SEGA console with the exception of the Megadrive, and then, that's as my friends had them in droves so I didn't really need to buy one! It helped I worked in a videogame shop through what I'll dub as the 'Classic Era' that's anything between Master System days right up to SEGA Saturn.

We see a lot of demands for characters like Ristar, Vectorman and more - and I'm interested if you played them first time round, or if you discovered them later. If it was later, how did you find out about them? Was it through compilations like the Megadrive Collections, did you come across them via a service like Virtual Console. Or did you discover them via emulation? When did that love affair start?

Seriously - this is often a topic of debate in the office. I think our natural assumptions in a lot of cases is that generally the forum crowds tend to veer a little younger than us, but you know, I'm not sure we always right! Well unless it's Rex we're talking about, he is almost old enough to be my Dad. Almost :)

---

S0L

---

• Thumbs Up 5

Well unless it's Rex we're talking about, he is almost old enough to be my Dad. Almost

Teen Pregnancy exists...

Edit: I am not suggesting that Rex is your father.

Would be a cool plot twist though.

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 4

i grew up with my dad being a SEGA fanatic and my Uncle being an Nintendo Fanatic, rival brothers, but I got the best of both worlds growing up with a Mega Drive AND and Saturn in our household, whilst my uncle sided with the SNES and Nintendo 64, i remember playing classics such as Daytona, Clockwork Knight 2, Panzer Dragoon, Soviet Strike, SEGA Rally Championship, Bug!, 4x4 Hardcore, Max TT super Bikes in my home, and titles such as Mario 64, Lylat Wars, Banjo Kazooie, Smash Bros, Turok, Zelda OoT/Majora's Mask, Goldeneye etc.

i dropped out of retro gaming when the Playstation came along and didn't pick up my sonic obsession till 2003 after picking up Heroes on my birthday, i used my remaining birthday cash to purchase SA DX and SA2B, then what do you know? i was hooked again, then Panzer Dragoon got a sequel.. Orta, which reminded me of the original Saturn edition, so i raided our loft for it and there it was, all the games i played as child was still there in their cases sporting £60 price stickers, then finding the Saturn steering wheel, crack open Daytona and..

Rolliiiiiiiiiiing STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART, ROLLING STAAAAAAAAAAAART AAAAAAH

AND THEY'RE OFF!

memories came flooding back of epic nostalgia with my father playing SEGA Rally and Daytona...seeing Sonic in the mountain, remembering the instructor in SEGA Rally "LONG EASY LEFT...MAYBE" "JUMP!" "WOAH!" to the beginning of CWK 2 fighting the final boss of the first game, then hearing that kid's bedroom music.

my childhood wasn't sharing SEGA and games... It WAS SEGA. <3

Edited by Super Soniko

Seriously - this is often a topic of debate in the office. I think our natural assumptions in a lot of cases is that generally the forum crowds tend to veer a little younger than us, but you know, I'm not sure we always right! Well unless it's Rex we're talking about, he is almost old enough to be my Dad. Almost smile.png

---

S0L

---

It tends to be the mid-late genesis age - Saturn-early Dreamcast which gets most of the people shouting. However when it comes to interesting characters that could look great in a game, Sega's library is quite vast.

Check out this book for instance.

Yes it's my copy and I could bring it into sumo for you to have a gander at if you liked. But just going by the looks, For me... the most interesting Sega character is that guy who is also in my forum signature banner, the one with the crazy glasses, especially when you see his full artwork in the Sega book, what game is he from? I'll tell you at the end.

But then theres so much more early stuff and obscure characters that could looke/be great. The E-swat commando for instance, Wonderboy tends to get no requests these days, Kid Chamelion (especially with the transformation thing this could be awsome) has nobody saying zomigod add him! Sega have also done other really good RPG's than phantasy star too... but nobody wants them, either they don't know or just don't care, but I thought the artwork in that video at 2:20 looked like a cool character for a possible addition. Altered beast! Oh can you imagine it! The start is just the human in his pants, he then transforms into the bear which runs around the track, then he transforms into the dragon! Then he transforms into... urm... urm... can the golden wolf swim? Then when he gets a power up he says 'POWER UP!'

You could have even more fun and opportunities when you look at regional differences in characters, for instance... the Western character designs for streets of rage 2...

Streets-Of-Rage-2-Achievements-Xbox-360-2.jpeg

Against the Japanese edition.

bareknuckle2-cover.jpg

And what game was the dude with the crazy glasses in? Some random quiz master game.

I think people tend to want who they've played and what they grew up with, but in terms of potential for design, I think theres a lot better inspiration in Sega than just instantly going to get Ristar just to make some people happy. Even if people want X or Y because they've recently played the character from say a compliation or digital download, you need to remember that they get re-released because they were also originally popular, but a bad game/lesser popular game might also have some great character designs in it. Just a question of finding it and saying 'look, this is a character from this game... we think we can do this with it.'

I'm 18, so I'm not quite as cultured/educated as most SEGA fans. However, the first game I ever played (in 2000, mind you) was Sonic the Hedgehog 2, on the Genesis. I played it at preschool, A LOT; we would all have competitions to see who could get the fastest speed run... well, until the girls came over and wanted to play Fashion Barbie (lol) or whatever that game is called. From that point on, though, I was a SEGA fanboy, not to mention a Sonic fanboy. I just wish that I could have been around when SEGA was in its prime as a participant in the console market.

EDIT: Other than that experience, though, I do not have much more knowledge of SEGA than what I have played in Classic Collections.

Edited by Unidus

@S0L

That's a very interesting topic.

I'm 19, but I didn't really start console gaming until the PS2 when I was 11 (my parents could never afford anything more than a PC) but I did play Sonic games on PC when I was about 7.

Other than Sonic the Hedgehog games and Skies of Arcadia, I never really played many other Sega games, until recently that is.

I got to know about Ristar and Vectorman through the Sonic Compilations, and I've got Sonic to thank(and you guys at SUMO) for introducing me to many classic sega franchises, because thanks to Sega Superstars Tennis and All-Stars Racing I've been interested and have purchased some of SEGA's re-released such as Space Channel 5 part 2 and Crazy Taxi, and I'm really looking forward to trying Jet Set Radio and NiGHTS, I'm also very interested in Shenmue now.

The great thing about games like All-Stars Racing is, when you're familiar with most the the characters that are represented, you tend to enjoy and appreciate all the things that have been added alot more, so I like to go back and try as many SEGA franchises as I possibly can.

Edited by Lentastic

We see a lot of demands for characters like Ristar, Vectorman and more - and I'm interested if you played them first time round, or if you discovered them later. If it was later, how did you find out about them? Was it through compilations like the Megadrive Collections, did you come across them via a service like Virtual Console. Or did you discover them via emulation? When did that love affair start?

Seriously - this is often a topic of debate in the office. I think our natural assumptions in a lot of cases is that generally the forum crowds tend to veer a little younger than us, but you know, I'm not sure we always right! Well unless it's Rex we're talking about, he is almost old enough to be my Dad. Almost smile.png

---

S0L

---

I'm 27, got into SEGA in 1991 when I was six, so anything Sonic the Hedgehog '91 and beyond I'm 100% in love with. Okay... from 2003-2007 it's a bit hazy, since I didn't own a Gamecube and only played XBOX and PS2, not getting into current gen until 2008. Even then though, I played catch up. I'd probably say the Sonic Team Gamecube originals I have very little love for (PSO C.A.R.D. Revolution, Billy Hatcher).

As for Ristar and Vectorman, I'd say a LOT of the love comes from their addition in the Sonic Mega Collection for Gamecube and other consoles. I myself thought Vectorman was pretty fun in the '90's, but so many other games were better in my opinion. As for Ristar, I don't think he was very popular in the 90's. So my guess is, rereleases really helped them. Especially the Mega Collection and the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection/Sega Mega Drive Collection released this gen. I get the feeling the RIstar supporters especially are younger fans from the Gamecube era.

I think that had those rereleases never happened, the Vectorman and Ristar requests would be far smaller if non-existant.

I'm actually genuinely curious to know how old some of you are...

28, born '83. Missed the 80's era of SEGA in its entirety. ("What's an Opa-Opa, what even is that." - me, age 6)

Had a neighbor with a Genesis, I visited almost daily for Sonic 1. Finally talked my way into ownership in time for Sonic 2. I played games like Vectorman and Ristar at and around the their initial releases, have fond memories of those and would love to see inclusions/nods like that.

Missed the Saturn entirely (which didn't seem like that big of a miss for me at that age, since Sonic was always my biggest draw), picked things back up with the Dreamcast. Dreamcast was and still kind of is where SEGA reigned supreme in terms of original IP's for me. JSR, Space Channel 5, & Crazy Taxi were absolutely my jams through high school. I was the perfect age for that stuff at the time, really.

You guys are doing quite alright by me. No complaints. Stay the course, excited for some surprises.

Also, hi again. I lurk here all the time now and don't post nearly as often as I did for the S&SASR threads. Pretty lame of me.

Looks to me like S0L is trying to get some people in his office to reconsider some character exclusions by use of testimonials.