Awoo.

SONIC Segment Confirmed! "Videogames Live" TONIGHT Come watch!

Badnik Mechanic

Here we go, the moment we've all been waiting for!

...and then the audio dies. Wonderful.

Blue Streak! Streams by! Sonic the Hedgehog! Too fast for audio lines! Sonic the Hedgehog!

*watches it and hums along.* AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!

Man they really should update that video with Generations and not end with episode 1 at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not surprised in the slightest that the medley only used Sonic 1 music. That soundtrack is too popular for it's own good.

But damn, I would love to have a orchestral medley for Sonic Heroes, or Sonic Unleashed, or a conglomerate of 7 or so Sonic games. That couldn't be too hard, right?

Halo now.

As much as Tommy is a good composer and guitarist... I wish he wouldn't join in, he really drowns out the orchestra.

But damn, I would love to have a orchestral medley for Sonic Heroes, or Sonic Unleashed, or a conglomerate of 7 or so Sonic games. That couldn't be too hard, right?

Yes it would.

Because that medley has been used since 2006 and Sega doesn't own a lot of the Sonic music from the future games.

Good god this Legend of Zelda bit is fan-fecking-tastic! So amazing!

As much as Tommy is a good composer and guitarist... I wish he wouldn't join in, he really drowns out the orchestra.

I know you may not listen to Halo music or play the game buuutt

yep

Edited by Shaddix Leto Croft

Well, I'll definitely be attending the show when it comes to the UK next April!

Shame I won't get to see the Earthworm Jim section though. sad.png

>Leaves comment asking for an Oklahoma concert.

>Confirms concert in November-January

>Marks date on calendar.

DID HE JUST CONFIRM PORTAL MUSIC!?

OMG we're got Portals! The concert is thinking with portals!?

And that terminator comment he just read out was mine =p Yay! For my retro knowledge! =p

Oh man! They're not showing Mario... lol Oh man! They're talking about Tommy Tallarico's mum instead of showing the show!?

Hey I didn't know that. Mario music goes really well when Tommy talks about his guitar collection!

I think Nintendo hasn't allowed it.

Think about it, during Zelda we didn't see any game footage shown, and Mario they banned it broadcast online. Something tells me Nintendo is to blame.

Edit: Tommy just answered my comment and confirmed it. Nintendo have banned any of their games from being broadcast on the internets. =p

20 Years on and Sega still does what Nintendon't.

So, ehh... May as well chuck my thoughts in whilst I'm here...

That was pretty enjoyable to watch and listen to, thanks again for the heads up about it, I quite enjoyed it... Sure, even through the technical problems and everything, that was pretty cool. Would definitely try to physically attend a live concert in the future now.

And so it ends.

That was fun, I liked the part when Laura (the girl with the flute) even said backstage how dead the crowd was. Lol not even a reaction from the 'out of beta releasing on time' Duke Nukem pic!?

Would definitely try to physically attend a live concert in the future now.

Going to one is so much better, just because you can feel the music, the orchestras' are quite powerful from their raised position and you really do feel every note hit you.

Probably why games like God of War and Civilisation go down well because the music really hits you.

it's funny, because talking to the guy personally, he said no two concerts have the same music, but gauging the reactions from this topic, I'm starting to think that's a lie XD We got GOW and Portal here in Jersey, unless they are playing other scores from the games.

That was fun, I liked the part when Laura (the girl with the flute) even said backstage how dead the crowd was. Lol not even a reaction from the 'out of beta releasing on time' Duke Nukem pic!?

Flute Link was there? I love her so much. The passion she puts into her music/performance is amazing.

She's also very nice from what I experienced talking to her

551010_3104987859528_1109211254_32162418_1899076194_n.jpg

Edited by LunarEdge

it's funny, because talking to the guy personally, he said no two concerts have the same music, but gauging the reactions from this topic, I'm starting to think that's a lie XD We got GOW and Portal here in Jersey, unless they are playing other scores from the games.

I think what he means is that they try to mix the songs as much as possible.

Out of the stuff thats come to the UK, I've seen the Sonic set (not that video mind), WoW stuff, Mario, GOW, One Winged Angel, Castlevania, Chrono trigger, the retro section, Space invaders, guitar hero (not sure if it was the same song or not) and Megaman.

But... the Street Fighter 2 section, portal and specifically the flute solo Link thing, has never been to the UK before.

Theres also tons of other songs that VGL have done that they just don't do anymore or rarely do. For instance when they came to the UK they did Harry Potter (to a chorus of boos) hate the game or not... the music was quite good, they've also done Command and Conquer (once) at one show.

I do think that some of the songs they play need to be retired. One Winger Angel.... really... again? The Sonic set also missed a UK VGL one year, it was back the next though after people who went kept saying 'what happened to Sonic!?' The Mario stuff that they always did seems to have finally been restricted to the main mario theme only (lol I hope).

That Time's Scar rendition at the end was absolutely beautiful. Anyone else wish they would stop using One Winged Angel as the Final Fantasy song, though? Or at least have more than one FF song if they're going to do that.

Edit: Don't talk shit about Mario, Koji Kondo is a wonderful composer and has made some of the most memorable songs in gaming, many of which come from the Mario series. Also, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. 'Nuff said.

Edited by Crow T. Robot

I think what he means is that they try to mix the songs as much as possible.

Out of the stuff thats come to the UK, I've seen the Sonic set (not that video mind), WoW stuff, Mario, GOW, One Winged Angel, Castlevania, Chrono trigger, the retro section, Space invaders, guitar hero (not sure if it was the same song or not) and Megaman.

Edited by LunarEdge

Edit: Don't talk shit about Mario, Koji Kondo is a wonderful composer and has made some of the most memorable songs in gaming, many of which come from the Mario series. Also, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. 'Nuff said.

Yeah talking shit about Mario indeed.

Excuse me if I think you're cheating you audience if you play not only the main Mario Segment, but then have a piano version of it, shortly followed by an audience sing along which in total takes up nearly half an hour of the show... this is supposed to be a show about videogame music, not the mario happy hour.

Yea, we got there here as well. Was this particular Concert in the UK?

Theres been a VGL in the UK every year since 2006, the exception was last year when they didn't have one (least I don't think they did).

The first one I went to, the set was something like.

Retro section

Sonic segment.

Mario segment.

Mario piano segment.

Mario sing along.

Space invaders.

Guitar hero

One Winged Angel

Bioshock.

Final Fantasy piano segment.

Harry Potter

Can't remember any of the others, but from all the ones I went to, the playlist didn't change too much, one year we got WoW, God of War, Chrono trigger. But usually the playlist here in the UK tends to be the main tunes and then they slide in one or two 'new' songs that they've not played in the UK before to try and make the show fresh for people who have been more than once.

Theres been a VGL in the UK every year since 2006, the exception was last year when they didn't have one (least I don't think they did).

I know, I was just asking is this particular concert that was streamed happen to be in the U.K During our concert in NJ, they talked about their concerts in the U.K

I managed to rip the audio from most of the Sonic segment. I'd gladly share it, but would that be considered illegal/ a no-no?

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of the Sonic Stadium and Sega I got to watch Video Games Live and all I got to say is WOW, the songs, the jokes, and segments and of course the Sonic section were perfect would definitely see it again. Also being lost trying to find the VIP entrance with Aaron Webber and Takashi Iizuka was a weird but fun experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still can barely believe the last few days just happened. Dreadknux emailed me on Monday about the Video Games Live passes, and I was on the road the next day. My travel companion and I made it into the area just in time to check into our hotel and then negotiate downtown traffic. We also ran into a snag with the first person we talked with at Will Call not knowing about the VIP entrance, but we tried one last time with another person right as the box office was shutting down, and she knew where to send us (sorry, everyone at TSS, for the barrage of email during that moment of panic).

We dashed to the other side of the building and just barely caught the people who were handing out the VIP passes right as they were packing up. Emphasis on JUST barely. We were ushered in through one of the front side doors in the dark, since the performance was already starting. As we passed the stage on our way to our seat, the orchestra and electric guitar hit a mind-bending climax in the middle of a Castlevania piece, and I knew that we had arrived.

This was one of the most amazing performances I have ever seen. It was like they took the soundtrack of my childhood and made a rock symphony out of it. I was blown away before I even found my seat, and it only got better from there. Aerith's theme from FFVII was absolutely beautiful (they seem to have skipped One Winged Angel this time), followed by the Sonic the Hedgehog medley, montages from Zelda, Mario, Earthworm Jim, Halo, Skyrim, Journey, Pokemon, Diablo III, Mists of Pandaria, Portal, Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross, and on and on and everything. It was an emotional experience to say he least. It was really great that they featured some of the following Youtubers as well - they were incredible and fun to talk to after the show:

(Lindsey Stirling)

(Laura "Flute Link" Intravia, also playing as "Flute Mario" this night!)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MMLeung/featured (Martin Leung, the Video Game Pianist)

We were so tired by the time of the meet and greet that I was mostly struck dumb and couldn't think of any of the more interesting questions I would've liked to ask, but I was at least able to get the composers from Blizzard to sign the orc in the program booklet. I was a blathering fool in front of Iizuka-san - something about Sonic being my all-time favorite video game character - and I was a bit embarrassed when I realized that the person sitting next to him was a translator, and that as basic of a conversation as we had, I might have been better off trying it entirely in Japanese. I probably could've handled "shashin wo tottemo ii desu ka?" But! I managed a picture and an autographed Sonic and was thrilled all the same.

Tommy Tallarico was a really great guy also. I'm nothing but amazed that he brings something like this together again and again (Guinness Book of World Records recognized VGL as the longest running video game concert series of all time at the show, with I think 247-ish performances). He also signed my Earthworm Jim soundtrack!

A huge thanks to Sonic Stadium for making this happen. I regret that we arrived so late that we missed the festivities before the show, and that we got separated from the rest of the contest winners before we had a chance to meet everyone and chat, but it was great meeting TheBlueWind at least, and this was an experience that I will never forget. If you live anywhere near one of the upcoming Video Games Live performances (http://videogameslive.com/index.php?s=dates), don't miss it!

547492_10151817438935201_1995690382_n.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2