Awoo.

[COLLAB] The Sonic Stadium Music Adventure 2012

Jeffhog

There goes one of my ideas was what I initially thought when I clicked that video... once I started hearing it I went, "Thank god one of my ideas went to Pixellino!" :D

Nice job there! Keep it up!

I am still doing that Mad Gear remix, no progress on the collab yet and I am still thinking of what other remix I can contribute.

EDIT: Pix! You've wrote in your YT description that Kenichi Tokoi is waltzforluma! D:

Edited by Faseeh

Yeah, I think it's a pretty cool alternate take too. smile.png It's definitely a way to go for a full "what-if" on these things, and I feel it would do some good on the album itself.

However I'm always full of nitpicks though with some of these tracks though, sadly; seems as if your chordy pads are fighting against the main lead when the main riff actually plays through. I suggest that you place a high-pass EQ on your lead at 500hz (and maybe even a significant EQ cut at 500-900hz on the chord part too), and turn the synth chords down a bit. As a result, the lead and chord sequence will both be significantly clearer in the mix.

You're getting there otherwise - you're definitely very frequent to the album's development, so keep up the good progress biggrin.png

Edited by Rexy

Aaah, and I am back to my problems. Well, like you guys already know, I only have Garageband and I've tried Reaper but it's something that's gonna work for me. Everyone knows how limited Garageband is... really. I've not even found a good non-electric guitar, nor a good bass. Really.

Now I am gonna get a PC soon but my Mac will be with me. So I want to know if it is better for me to progress to Logic Pro or to FL...

Hope I get an answer.

Anyways, because of this, I'll be very careful on what I choose to do, so as to make sure these limitations don't get into my work. :)

Personally I'd get FL Studio and Nexus 2 I swear by it...

But I use Logic a whole lot where I work too, mostly for recording, but some composition...

You may be better with logic cus its interface is very similar to Garage bands (Garage band is based off the Logic engine and is watered down)

I like FL more because of its simplicity and easyness to use.. It's really easy to work with but the stuff you can do with it is truly amazing smile.png

Just like Garageband, Logic has one big Timeline/Workspace where you can record your notes and other stuff into..

FL has "Patterns" and "Song". Song is just like the Garageband workspace, But try to think of the pattern feature as bricks, You play your melody into one pattern, Your drums into another etc.. And then you can place your bricks/patterns onto the song area and build your song up more easily and most of all more visually. Here's what I mean...

TrackViewFL7.jpg

I know logic is similar to this, But trust me the "snap" feature works a lot lot nicer here, and it is a lot simpler to get a song construction up and going. When I've got a great idea for a song and I'm feeling inspired, I seem to lose it with logic becuase for me it takes too long to set everything up.. With FL it just seems a lot quicker.

Hope this helps! Logic may be the path for you, Don't get me wrong I love Logic for its professionalism and look, But FL is more practical in my opinion. It may have a stereotypical image of been for beginners and looking cheap, But its really powerful and amazing!

If you need any help setting it up and advice on using it, Be sure to PM me! smile.png

Edited by StereoPix3l
  • Thumbs Up 2

I realize I'm coming in a bit late on the topic but I was wondering if I might be able to add a track??? If it's good enough that is. I was kinda looking for help to try and figure out how to completely balance the music. It's Sonic Boom from Sonic CD (if too many people haven't done that one already), I completely remade it from scratch for what it was worth and did the vocals. I would add a link at the moment but FurAffinity is down. :C My account is Xusky-Chan.

I realize I'm coming in a bit late on the topic but I was wondering if I might be able to add a track??? If it's good enough that is. I was kinda looking for help to try and figure out how to completely balance the music. It's Sonic Boom from Sonic CD (if too many people haven't done that one already), I completely remade it from scratch for what it was worth and did the vocals. I would add a link at the moment but FurAffinity is down. :C My account is Xusky-Chan.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll be able to get a link up as soon as FA goes back online :3 Like, this isn't the track I wanna add but here's an example as to something I've done.

I was just playin with the song in the long run, it's a little repetitive. And noisy.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hey, another girl :D Welcome aboard!

I admit, the balance tends to be the hardest aspect to get done right. Even people that have been doing it for years tend to still be looking for new tricks. Here's some tips to get you started.

* For sound levels, you start with your drums - the kick part should be the loudest, then your snare and toms, and then the hihats/cymbals. Then you mix in everything else one by one for what you believe sounds best - basses, then melodies, then pads and any chords/additional rhythm.

* Panning is a subtle beast as it is too. It can help give stereo depth to your instruments, but it's a good idea to keep the basses and main melodies closest to the centre as possible, with the pads and rhythm parts being placed further afield. Double-tracking pads and rhythm parts (even changing the patch on one of them) and putting them on opposing sides of the stereo field also gives a lot of texture to it.

* EQs are similarly important - if a couple of instruments clash within the same frequency band, it would be a good idea to adjust the pitch for one of the parts, or shave off any frequencies for the least important of the parts. It's hard to detect it when you're starting out though, but I'll listen in and see what can be done.

* If you're using a limiter, it's best not to go too crazy with it. Pay attention to the master level prior to putting the effect on. If you set the threshold to a value drastically lower than the general output level, you'll have this harsh unintended pumping; hence, try and make sure the threshold is around the value of the general output level to reduce that outcome.

* When you have the track exported in WAV form, it would then be a good idea to open the wav in a wave editor of your choice and normalise the recording for maximum sound output. I like setting the signal to 98% - it's almost at the top of the ceiling, yet it still sounds very clear.

I may be talking rocket science with some of this o_O* but hopefully these may help out down the line. Good luck with your Sonic Boom track :)

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey, another girl biggrin.png Welcome aboard!

I admit, the balance tends to be the hardest aspect to get done right. Even people that have been doing it for years tend to still be looking for new tricks. Here's some tips to get you started.

* For sound levels, you start with your drums - the kick part should be the loudest, then your snare and toms, and then the hihats/cymbals. Then you mix in everything else one by one for what you believe sounds best - basses, then melodies, then pads and any chords/additional rhythm.

* Panning is a subtle beast as it is too. It can help give stereo depth to your instruments, but it's a good idea to keep the basses and main melodies closest to the centre as possible, with the pads and rhythm parts being placed further afield. Double-tracking pads and rhythm parts (even changing the patch on one of them) and putting them on opposing sides of the stereo field also gives a lot of texture to it.

* EQs are similarly important - if a couple of instruments clash within the same frequency band, it would be a good idea to adjust the pitch for one of the parts, or shave off any frequencies for the least important of the parts. It's hard to detect it when you're starting out though, but I'll listen in and see what can be done.

* If you're using a limiter, it's best not to go too crazy with it. Pay attention to the master level prior to putting the effect on. If you set the threshold to a value drastically lower than the general output level, you'll have this harsh unintended pumping; hence, try and make sure the threshold is around the value of the general output level to reduce that outcome.

* When you have the track exported in WAV form, it would then be a good idea to open the wav in a wave editor of your choice and normalise the recording for maximum sound output. I like setting the signal to 98% - it's almost at the top of the ceiling, yet it still sounds very clear.

I may be talking rocket science with some of this o_O* but hopefully these may help out down the line. Good luck with your Sonic Boom track smile.png

Wow, thanks a lot! I've been playing with a completely instrumental track and just by using the panning, it has a different feel all together! I usually just ignored it cause I thought it would mess it up. I wanna hear everything up front XD I guess that's why everything was so loud and why I could never hear my melody. I just need to figure out how to get my vocals to blend in nicely, that's what I've always had trouble with. It's either WAAAY too loud or way too quiet. There's never an in between. These are some very nice tips, I'll use them for sure :3 And it all makes perfect sense to me :D

Oh, I have another question. Can we submit more than one song and if so, can I submit a Sonic sounding but not Sonic related track too?

Oh, I have another question. Can we submit more than one song and if so, can I submit a Sonic sounding but not Sonic related track too?

Yep on both. Original songs are allowed.

Look at the first post and that explains all the rules for this awesome project.

So yeah, good luck, and go nuts! :D

I'll be able to get a link up as soon as FA goes back online :3 Like, this isn't the track I wanna add but here's an example as to something I've done.

I was just playin with the song in the long run, it's a little repetitive. And noisy.

Holy shite, I love what you got here. >D

FA is finally back up enough to get to the song. It has reverb in it. My worst enemy. I want to get this song to sound good, in tip top shape because I put so much effort into it, but I can't balance it right. It's an older song file to be honest, I've had it for a year or two now. I want to fix it up.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/8795563/

Any pointers? ^^;

• Thumbs Up 3

FA is finally back up enough to get to the song. It has reverb in it. My worst enemy. I want to get this song to sound good, in tip top shape because I put so much effort into it, but I can't balance it right. It's an older song file to be honest, I've had it for a year or two now. I want to fix it up.

http://www.furaffini...t/view/8795563/

Any pointers? ^^;

Not much of a technical wiz there. XD I'm just a pianist.

As for the arrangement itself...

If you would permit me to level with you...

gorilla_and_shark.png

HOLY. SHIT. THAT WAS FUCKING GLORIOUS.

NO, BEAUTIFUL.

GORGEOUS!

Oh good GOD, every time that refrain comes up... OHGODIT'SLOVELY. ;A;

THAT REFRAIN.

HolyshitI'mspasmingsomuchfromthesong.JUSTTHISONESONG.

MY FEELS RIGHT NOW VARY BETWEEN THE EMOTIONS REPRESENTED IN THESE TWO GIFS.

tumblr_m9uk5ogns31r54gs4.gif

tumblr_m0nj1rKCCB1qlu293o2_400.gif

Also, 2400th post! Go me!

• Thumbs Up 2

http://www.furaffini...t/view/8795563/

Any pointers? ^^;

I guess the only thing I'd say would be to tone down the effects.

Other than that, this is pretty damn good.

Edited by Alien.Renegade

i agree with Renegade, too many effects and wub wub, but it could be really nice, you have a nice voice for singing.

Not much of a technical wiz there. XD I'm just a pianist.

As for the arrangement itself...

If you would permit me to level with you...

gorilla_and_shark.png

HOLY. SHIT. THAT WAS FUCKING GLORIOUS.

NO, BEAUTIFUL.

GORGEOUS!

Oh good GOD, every time that refrain comes up... OHGODIT'SLOVELY. ;A;

THAT REFRAIN.

HolyshitI'mspasmingsomuchfromthesong.JUSTTHISONESONG.

MY FEELS RIGHT NOW VARY BETWEEN THE EMOTIONS REPRESENTED IN THESE TWO GIFS.

tumblr_m9uk5ogns31r54gs4.gif

tumblr_m0nj1rKCCB1qlu293o2_400.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, arrangement-wise I like this; reminds me of Pendulum :D I feel you're going to do a lot of wonders here in regards to creative input.

In regards to feedback, quite a lot of the guys there had it nail on the head with the reverb, though there's a couple of other things that I should point out.

The flanger effect on the vocals, cool as it was, tends to get a bit overused. It was fine in the intro and outro, but for the rest I say that you should automate the effect and lower it down entirely, or rather just use it for just a few transitions/tense parts. You use FL Studio, right? Maybe Pixel might offer some help with effect automation in case you get stuck (he's also on FL).

You're almost there with the balance, though I suggest lowering the volume on the polysynth pads and backing vocals; they appear to be too loud. Somewhere around 5-9 decibels should help cut things drastically and give more room for the core sounds to come through.

I hope this will help you out. It's a tough road to start on, but I hope this will get you somewhere :)

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey, arrangement-wise I like this; reminds me of Pendulum biggrin.png I feel you're going to do a lot of wonders here in regards to creative input.

In regards to feedback, quite a lot of the guys there had it nail on the head with the reverb, though there's a couple of other things that I should point out.

The flanger effect on the vocals, cool as it was, tends to get a bit overused. It was fine in the intro and outro, but for the rest I say that you should automate the effect and lower it down entirely, or rather just use it for just a few transitions/tense parts. You use FL Studio, right? Maybe Pixel might offer some help with effect automation in case you get stuck (he's also on FL).

You're almost there with the balance, though I suggest lowering the volume on the polysynth pads and backing vocals; they appear to be too loud. Somewhere around 5-9 decibels should help cut things drastically and give more room for the core sounds to come through.

I hope this will help you out. It's a tough road to start on, but I hope this will get you somewhere smile.png

This.

Your tune is Muddy & Wet as hell.

Clean it up a bit and it will be a bangin' tune. But right now, it's FAR too heavily processed.

• Thumbs Up 1