Awoo.

Who has beaten Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels?

Solid SOAP

Ah, I can vaguely remember. Sometimes I cannot even tell the ending half of the original Super Mario Bros. from Lost Levels, it's so, so long ago, around the time I had my first SNES bundled with a copy of Super Mario All-Stars. What I do remember was how it was fun for a while, and then it converted some of the fun over to frustration and a lot of deaths! It felt like a bizarre and perverted universe where the difficulty rocketed through the clouds (which is arguably a suitable pun, as you play an insane level on top of the clouds as well!) The green bouncy pad and its extreme effect might show a shred of insanity which this game has to offer.

As I said, I can only vaguely remember this game. The ending castle kept me stuck forever. Two Koopas/Bowsers? Warps? This is Mario's nightmare, and you know it! XD

I kinda made it Luigi's nightmare instead. I always preferred to play as Luigi due to his very high jump in that game. I never even tried Mario, I think. Rumours also say that this game (the real Super Mario Bros. 2) was not originally released outside Japan due to its insane difficulty. Jeeze, it sure is a tough one, that's the one definite thing I can remember about this game. While it can be really frustrating, I am very glad they decided to include it in Super Mario All-Stars!

Edit: I hope I didn't sound too negative in this post. In that case, it was not my intention. I had so much fun playing this game. It felt like a natural sequel to Super Mario Bros. and it also felt like it had so much more to offer! If you liked the original Super Mario Bros. and enjoy (very) difficult levels, you should bring patience and try this game. You will love The Lost Levels. x3

Question: is it easier to beat it with Mario or Luigi? I read that they have different abilities. I read that Luigi jumps higher. Right?

I found it easier to play as Luigi. He was more slippery but his higher jump gave you more leeway for the longer and more difficult jumps.