Awoo.

A Survey of Sonic Fandom

GreenFox12

1. What attracted you to the Sonic the Hedgehog series in the first place?

1. I dunno really.. I started playing from the moment I can remember. My brother was already a fan, so I naturally became one, too. I guess I like the characters and platforming from the Classics. I felt like Tails, because I was also the little brother to someone I wanted to be as cool as.

2. Do you produce fan art/videos/games? If so, why

2. I occasionally do sprites and sprite comics, but not often. I draw Sonic and co when I'm bored.

3. Are you an avid collector of Sonic media/memorabilia? If so, why?

3. No, not really.

4. How much of your time and/or money does being a fan cost you?

4. I dunno. If you count me being on the forums here, then most of the day xD

5. How long have you been a Sonic fan?

5. For as long as I can remember, so I'll round it up to since I was two, so almost 19 years.

6. What keeps you coming back to the series?

6. Well, I'm not ever thinking about leaving. I still enjoy the games, despite all the flaws.

7. Have you met other fans in real life?.

7. If my brother counts.

8. What do you think of the future of Sonic the Hedgehog and its fandom?

8. I thinnk the fandom will stay the same. The game will start getting better. We'll probably get some more nongame media.

9. Demographic information: age, location (city, state/country), gender (in addition to male and female, feel free to specify whether you are intersexed, transgendered, etc.)

9. 20, Germany, Male.

Edited by Marcellove

1. I guess Sonic X, seeing as I do remember loving that show when i was younger. Plus there's also Sonic Advance 2, which turned out to be my first gameboy advance game

2. I tried doing fanfiction for a while though generally I'm unable to complete a fic for some odd reason. As for why, just for the hell of it really.

3. Le Nope

4. It does take up quite a bit of time, though really the monetary concerns currently go to my parents. Though really I tend to branch off a bit instead of simply putting a lot of emphasis on Sonic in my schedule

5. About 8 years or so, likely from around the time Sonic Advance 2 came out in the states

6. Well a lot of things keep me coming back to the series, whether it be the unique characters, gorgeous environments, abstract themes, or what have you.

7. I've met plenty, thugh not particularly one from this forum, but I've become friends with many fans irl

8. I personally feel that the franchise is currently on a upward spiral that will eventually bring it back up there to rival some of the top video gaming dogs, such as the Mario and Legend of Zelda series. Though as for the fanbase, I can't really tell, seeing as while there has been a bit of increase in faith towards the creators and tolerance towards their fellow fans, there is still a vast amount of fans that seem to refuse to tolerate any imagination of the franchise in a different light other then their own, such as Classic and Adventure fanboys, and a "cult" known as the HD brotherhood.

9. 15, African-American, male, Florida

I remember having Sonic & Knuckles Collection as a kid, although I don't remember if it was a gift for a holiday or just a random gift. In any case, I had some fun with it even if I wasn't too good at the game itself. Later I got SA2:B as one of my first Gamecube games, for I think $20 at the local superstore.

2. Do you produce fan art/videos/games? If so, why?

None of those. I used to write fanfiction...I still do, but I've been too busy lately to do that sort of thing! I am writing a Sonic story for one of my classes, though. Why? Well, it's fun! The series might not have a very solid continuity for the most part, but there's still a lot of cool stuff to work with in regards to making a good story.

Not really! I have the Sonic Colours' pre-order hat, as well as a Sonic shirt, but that's about it other than the games and the Archie comics.

Time: Um, a lot, I guess? I do spend a lot of my free time on SSMB after all.

Money: Well, with the exception of Sonic Colours, I've gotten most of the games after their prices have been reduced. The comics are fairly cheap, too. Not much money spent, really.

Since...hm...I'm going to say it was probably 2003 or so. I know it was before Heroes, at least. I've considered myself part of the fandom since I got SA2, which was the first Sonic game I actually completed.

I like the games--the characters, the world, the gameplay, all the good stuff really!

7. Have you met other fans in real life?

Not really. My friend down the street has played some of the games but I don't think he's all that big of a fun.

I'm optimistic about it, partly due to due the recent games in the series as well as SSMB. Yeah, believe it or not, this site makes me hopeful for the future of the series! ;D

9. Demographic information: age, location (city, state/country), gender (in addition to male and female, feel free to specify whether you are intersexed, transgendered, etc.)

17, Alberta (Canada), male.

Edited by ElementofChaos7

Playing Sonic the Hedgehog 2 at the tender age of 3. After retaining a slightly positive opinion of the series in the Dreamcast Era, playing Sonic Adventure 2 Battle at the age of 11 pretty much cemented my love for the Sonic series.

Over the years, I've produced some fan art and fanfiction. The only one currently available to read on the Internet is The Blue Blur of Termina. As for why I've done so? Well, I like a good chunk of the characters and I like to see how they would act in different scenarios than those shown in the games.

Not really; I never really had enough spare money to own more than a couple action figures at any given time.

Yearly, no more than a couple hundred dollars. As for time, well, I play the games whenever I have the spare time for it.

I've been a fan for over seventeen years. Even with the missteps the series has made over the years, I've never really lost interest in the series.

The Sonic gameplay; with the exception for Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), the Sonic gameplay has never really disappointed me much.

Yeah, I've met a couple fans when I was younger; I haven't met any lately, though.

With the recent success of Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1, Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations, I'd say that if they keep it up, the future of the Sonic series is looking pretty bright.

Edited by Komodin

Definitely willing to help you out on this. =) Now, let's begin..

I was introduced to Sonic whenever my step-cousin and step-uncle were playing Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on their rapidly-aging Genesis. Amazed by the colors, speed, and the unique looking characters I was quickly enamored. Not long after, my parents bought me a Nintendo Gamecube (with Sonic Adventure 2 : Battle) and that's where it all began.

I'm working on a fan game, yes. Sonic Freerunner to be precise. Kind of lead a team of Sonic fans and we spend times discussing ideas and designing them, while I help organize and get every department to glue the work together. I do it mostly to kill two birds with one stone: fulfill my want to tribute something towards the franchise I love dearly, and make an item to slide right into my portfolio for my future career in game design.

In fact, I guess you can say Sonic was my inspiration for wanting to be a game designer in the first place.

I don't get to collect as much as I used to, but I do own a good lot of Sonic media AND memorabilia. I have just about every Sonic game released, all the cartoon series on DVDs (as well as the Sonic OVA film), tons of action figures/statuettes, plushes, posters, t-shirts, a backpack, a big lot of the Archie series Sonic comics from the mid-90s to the later 2000s. So yeah, I'd love to have more than I got, but I do have a good bit as it is. XD

Depends on how much the item(s) in mind cost. I try to not waste too much money on it considering it's just a fandom/hobby, and I think it shows with how I don't really have anything too pricey from it. At most, I probably would use $70 at a time. Maybe.

Since about... 1998. I think. Around that area.

The gameplay, for one. I just love rolling around at the speed of sound, what can I say? Sonic, at his high points, tends to deliver some of the best gaming I've ever experienced. Other than that, I'm a big fan of the series' atmosphere. In other words, I just love the characters (and their personalities), the feel of Sonic's world, the expansive background mythos, wonderful music and the ever-varying art styles. It's all almost complex enough to be considered a franchise you can take seriously, but vague and settled enough for anyone to jump in and have some fun immediately.. well, unless you jumped in around that dark spot from 2003-2006. =p

And I guess nostalgia somewhat applies to why I keep coming back, but.. I just enjoy it all so much, even now, that I can't say it's nostalgia that's doing it.

I've met a good couple of people interested in it, but not real fans like the ones I meet all over the internet. People around my area aren't exactly the biggest fans of games within this area, most "gamers" around where I live are usually of the "dudebro" kind, but I'm not gonna discriminate since I have loads of fun playing up Halo with them sometimes.

That said, I would love to meet some of the people I know from this community. Have a nice talk, chill somewhere, have some geek-out moments over Sonic, things like that.

I'm never too sure. This franchise is unpredictable! Mr. Iizuka seems to be taking it in a good direction, but it's almost never completely perfect for me. I'd like them to get back to expanding that mythos and some of the original benefactors behind the original games and expanding upon it. Will they ever do that? Maybe, maybe not; but that's part of the fun behind the anticipation, and it kind of gives me motivation to apply the things I want into my own fangame.

The fanbase though? Not sure either. There will always be the population of overly-cynical people and juvenile pre-teens/manchildren, but there's always some heart in this fanbase, in some place or another; because if you look down you'll always find creative, fun, great people.

The cartoons. I didn't even know video games existed until I was maybe ten or so. The first cartoon I remember seeing was Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, which I would watch every day when I came home from school. I later got into the Saturday morning show and the comics. Didn't start with the video games until 2000, and I started with a Genesis and played right on through to the Dreamcast.

Fan art, yes. I've always been artistically inclined, every since I was a little kid. I don't start making my own characters until my mom said I should (of course she wanted me to profit). I got into the fangame side of it in the early 2000s, and have been working on a game since 2007. The game I'm working on stars Sonia and Silver, and I did it because I liked the characters and wanted to play as Sonia, since she's never been in any game.

I collect merch of any franchise I get into. Sonic is no exception.

It costs more time than money, since I'm always brainstorming ideas for my fangame. I do the character art, as well as make the music for it. Sonic is actually pretty cheap, since the figures are inexpensive, and there's the used game market to take advantage of.

Since 1993.

Ever since I got into the games, I've been hooked on the "Super Sonic" concept, and that is the primary draw of the games for me. The comic features the characters from the cartoons that I grew up with, so it's a sense of nostalgia that keeps me coming back to that as well.

My nephews are all fans, and my girlfriend is a fan as well.

I think the future is bright. Sonic has a lot in common with a formerly competing IP, that being Power Rangers. Both have been through their highs and lows, but still resonate with children today. I think the children are the future, and will keep both franchises strong, well into the future.

As for the fandom, the less said about them, the better.

Periphery demographic all over the place. 25, male, Hampton, VA, USA.

Thank you to anyone who responds.This information would help me greatly.

I enjoy doing these. Good luck on your project! :)

I've always loved my videogames, and Sonic was the new, big thing. I played Sonic1/2 a couple of times at friends' houses, then got a Mega Drive and Sonic 2 as a Christmas Present. I think that was back in 1993.

Nope. Don't do that for anything.

Avid? No. I have a couple of plushies and one figure, but that's it.

Money? Well, depends if a game comes out, and also how well it was received. I bought Sonic Generations on launch, but before that the last one had been Sonic Heroes. So yeah, general fan reaction makes a difference as to whether I'll spend the money too.

As for time, well, I come to the SSMB everyday, but rarely post about Sonic. If I have some spare time to play games (and I don't have any news to play), the chance of me picking a Sonic game is quite high.

Well...since 1993. Was 6 (and a half!) then, turn 25 in May.

The nostalgia of good times with the Mega Drive, and then some genuinely good games like Adventure, colours and Generations.

Back in the day, virtually everyone was a Sonic fan. Nowadays, not so much. Been to SoS twice as well.

A lot depends on the quality of the games. Sonic suffered a fair bit from 2004 to 2009 which led to a fractured fanbase. There seems to be less drama now to be fair, which comes from a happier fanbase due to better games. But for now, the future looks bright.

24, Coventry (England), heterosexual male.

1. Fanfiction. No, I'm not kidding, it's mostly through reading Sonic stuff at fanfiction dot net did I gain my interest after some initial glances at Sonic games and the characters.

2. I write fanfiction and draw some rather basic fanart.

3. Not really, though I would like to buy a Sonic or Tails plushie one day.

4. Not that much money since I don't really buy the games (I don't have any of the consoles, so PC is the only way). As for time, well, writing fanfics sometimes take up the whole day.

5. I remember my interest in Sonic starting circa 2006, when I was 15. I did watch AoStH and SatAM when I was much younger, but I forgot about those until later. So I wouldn't really consider it a childhood thing.

6. Honestly, I'm not very sure. General hope and idealism, I guess.

7. Nope. All the Sonic fans I know are online.

8. The future of the series is a lot better than before, though I am unsure as to whether I like the direction it is going in now, especially in terms of narrative and story. As for the fandom it's likely to be remain fractured for the forseeable future, though on SSMB less so, I think.

9. 20, male, from Malaysia.

Oddly as this may sound, but I got into the series with ShTH and Sonic 06. Before this, I had played SA2 and Mega Collection, and I've watched X, but I wasn't that into the series at the time. When I found out about ShTH and 06, for some reason, I liked putting the two games together (Shadow the Hedgehog AND Sonic the Hedgehog). I dunno, when I was 10, it seemed pretty cool, I guess.

I'd like to, honestly, but I don't really have the skill. I'm learning the C# language now, so maybe I could create a fan game in the future.

I'd like to, but I'm not that motivated to do much of that stuff except pre-order the games, something I started with Generations, and hope to continue later.

Money, not much. There's only a few games a year, and I usually only get one of those games. Time? Well, I play the games a lot when they're first out, but these days, I get really bored after playing them a lot, I can say this for games like SA2, Generations, and SA1. However, I absolutely love spending time with the fanbase, as this fanbase is one of my favorites, and talking with fellow members on SSMB is just fantastic. So, nowadays, SSMB is most of my Sonic time. When I was six, it'd be playing SA2 with my best friend. tongue.png

Er, maybe around 2004 when I first played SA2. Only got into the series with games like 06, Shadow, and Black Knight, so with those, around 2010-2011. I'd probably say 2004 though.

Now, it's really the hype train that I experience in SSMB and various other Sonic fansites. Music is another factor, I guess. Sonic music is one I find to be great, and one that just gives me a smile when I listen to it. Atmosphere and characters is another reason why I stick with this series as well. As for the actual gameplay, I'm not so sure on how much this attaches me to the series, but to some extent, I suppose it does draw me back. Another key factor, is the difficulty of the Sonic games. I tend to like games that frustrate me in that, I really want to get to the next level, but I can't, because I'm still not good at the game, the learning curve, you might say. One of the main reasons why I love games like SA2, Unleashed, SA1, and to some extent Heroes. So basically, 1. SSMB 2. Hype train 3. Music 4. Atmosphere and Characters 5. Difficulty

One. Although, I only knew him for a year, and then he had to move. Still talk to him once in a while though. I do want to meet more Sonic fans IRL though. Maybe one day, I could get to London or LA and go to Summer of Sonic or Sonic Boom.

Sonic and it's fanbase definitely has a bright future ahead of it! With more feedback hopefully incorporated in the Sonic games, I really think that Sonic and its fandom has a bright future coming for it. It's already great now, and SSMB is proof that the Sonic fandom can be pretty cool, and if it can improve even more, that'd be fantastic.

14, US of A, Male.

This is definitely something I enjoy doing every now and then, and I wish the best of luck to you on your project! Glad I could help. :)

Edited by thebluehedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 1

If memory serves, it was actually the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon. I was never really into video games at first, so my foray into gaming was basically a result of wanting to play Sonic games after seeing the cartoon.

I used to draw Sonic artwork on a constant basis, although that's slowed heavily in the last few years. I draw Sonic because, well, I suppose it feels like a natural reaction for me to want to draw something I like, especially since I got into Sonic as a kid, where the instinct is even moreso. Also Sonic characters are easier to draw than humans. >_>

As to why I draw less these days, I suppose there are a few reasons. First and foremost, real life is getting in the way more and more. But also, the more I drew, the less there was 'left to draw', so to speak. There are only so many generic stock poses of characters you can draw before it all starts to feel a little samey. These days I tend to draw bigger, more detailed pictures with full backgrounds, but on a much less regular basis.

Yep. I guess I'm just the sort of person who wears my heart on my sleeve. When I really like something, I want to live it, breathe it and buy the T-shirt. I don't try and get absolutely everything since I'm still just about grounded enough in common sense to know when I don't really want/ need/ have the space for something.

In terms of toys and figures, I generally try to have one good figure for each character, then a few special ones in different sizes. I'm not the sort who'd go out and buy a new Malibu Stacey Knuckles figure just because they gave them a cheap new hat.

You know, I never really thought about it. I guess I tend not to dwell on it much for things I like since it's leisure time. It varies quite a bit, really, depending on how many new Sonic things there are around at the time. If there's a bunch of new merchandise or games out, I'll be spending plenty on Sonic around then, both in terms of time and money. If not, I won't. I generally spend quite a bit of both, though.

Since mid-1994, so nearly 18 years.

I've never got bored of it. I'm a pretty loyal person, so something would have to screw up something absolutely rotten to have me jump ship once I was already on board.

At the same time, as a videogame series, Sonic actually doesn't take much investment in terms of effort to stick with anyway. It's not like a manga or a TV series where you have to spend time and effort to watch/ read it on a very regular basis. If an ongoing story takes a total slide and gets really dull, it starts feeling like a chore to keep up with, and that's when I end up dropping series.

Games on the other hand, no matter how bad they might be (not that I've ever really found any Sonic games particularly awful), at most it's asking for 8-10 hours of your time every year or so.

Yup. Summer of Sonic says hi.

I actually worry a little that after Sonic Generations, Sonic Team have once again caught themselves in the same trap that they were in after Sonic & Knuckles; "If it's not broken, don't fix it", but at the same time needing to change things enough to avoid accusations of 'every game being the same'.

I'm just wondering where they'll go next, really. They might release another game or two that's the same basic principle as the Unleashed/ Generations gameplay, but sooner or later they're likely to throw in some kind of controversial gimmick to try and shake things up a little.

As for the fanbase, I doubt that'll change, really.

25, London, England, male.

1. I really don't have a definitive answer, I now I always liked platformer games and the first time I saw sonic I liked it and playing the game at my friends house was a lot of fun. Eventually a bought my first sonic game, and then started buying all of them. I guess all the atmosphere and characters of the franchise really keep my interest at maximum.

2.Yes I do, I like to do it and dream that sometime I maybe be able to participate in an official project. For now fan projects are good enough, at least this way I can offer something to the fandom.

3.Yes I have somethings, but besides the games I only buy products that only are in my reach.

4.Time I would say a couple of hours per day, if I have time to spent on it. About money I try not to spent to much of it.

5.I am a sonic fan for 13 years.

6.I think I've answered that in the first question.tongue.png

7. Unfortunately, I haven't. Not many sonic fans around here.

8.Well the franchise its gonna continue to evolve, and will exits as along as sega exists also and maybe after. I don't know what they are going to create next but I'm expecting something different in the next big game. As for the fandom is not going to change much, even if the games are good they will always be some that will not like them as much as other games, so yeah its going to keep divided, probably it will be even more divided in the future.

9.Age: 19, Location: Coimbra, Portugal, gender: male.

I wish you good luck in your studies, and hope I could help.smile.png

I was just given a Sonic game as a kid, but lost touch with the franchise during the N64 years. What got me back into it was Sonic Adventure 2 on Gamecube. Was blown away by the attitude and style of the game, not to mention the speed and storyline.

I used to just because... I dunno, I wanted to, and the internet kinda told me that's what fans do. I lost interest in it because I'd rather focus my creative energies on things I can completely call my own.

Not avid, but I do grab stuff when I see it. I find the character designs very charming so I like to have them around me a lot, and also I am proud of my interest in the series and like to show the world I am a fan.

Not too much. I play the games a lot and interact online a lot but I don't ever feel obligated to or anything. I buy most of the new platformers but the side games I take on a game by game basis as to whether I want to spend money on them.

Since 1993, with an on/off relationship with the franchise until around 2002. Been devoted ever since.

The unique style of platforming, characters and music.

I have, at Summer of Sonic in 2010 and 2011. I have met several casual fans in day to day life.

I remain very neutral honestly. Generally I'm quite positive but at this point I make no assumptions because it's clear we're on the verge of a start of another "era" for the series in terms of style.

22, South-East England, Male.

Edited by JezMM

Wow, you guys gave a ton of great responses. Thanks a lot!

This seems like a great community. I'll make an attempt to become active here.

• Thumbs Up 4

-- Sega Genesis and Sonic 1 were both my first console and game. Got it on Christmas. Sonic's been my homeboy since.

-- Used to, I was a wee lad.

-- Nope.

-- How much it costs to buy a game and beat it.

-- Since I was like 5 or 6, I think.

-- I like Sonic and Sonic stuffness.

-- Made my sister a fan, and she went extreme with it, if that counts. Never really came out and asked if someone was a fan.

-- Death. I hope that's not the case, but I can see the plug being pulled. I can also see a team of amature developers, who are fans, attempting to keep it going.

-- I'm a guy, and I'm twenty. I live in America, that's all you're getting.

Before anyone blows their fuse, this appears to be true. The UNF apparently does have a class called Introduction to Fandom Studies.

Whoa.

Edited by WittyUsername

1. SPEED! When I was a small kid it was only thing I cared for in Sonic game.

2. No.

3. No.

4. In terms of time I guess like 2 hours a day (not everyday thought), in terms of money when new game is released I buy it at release date so it's quite big amount of money for teenager without pocket money sad.png .

5. Since Heroes so it's like 8 years but I lost interest in Sonic few years after Heroes. Unleashed brought me back to this amzing franchise. But even during time when I wasn't interested in Sonic that much I still had remembered Blue Blur.

6. Fresh feel. Every Sonic game bring something totally new to the table making every game different and very intereresting. That's what I love about Sonic games they constantly evolve. New styles of gameplay all the time unlike Mario (no hate) where every game is almost same as previous one.

7. I know only one Sonic fan and all he want in Sonic games is speed and action, he don't like platforming and want every game to be like Secret Rings blink.png .

8. New styles of gamplay, complaining fanbase (something never change, right?), MOAR HUB WORLDS and even weirder stories.

I hope this will help. biggrin.png

Edited by Lamor

1) My love for animals, I guess? My love for animals is what lead to my love for anthropomorphic animal characters, which is what the majority of Sonic characters are. I grew up with two older brothers who shared a Sega Genesis with me. Most of the games we owned for it were Sonic games.

2) I do not.

3) I suppose I could consider myself somewhat of a collector. Not really to the extent of most other real collector's tho'. Most of my memorabilia is articles of clothing rather than toys and such.

4) I wouldn't say it takes up too much of my time or money, a considerable amount but not necessarily a ton.

5) As far back as I can remember I've been a fan of Sonic the Hedgehog. I've been playing his games since I was in diapers.

6) I love the games, the characters and the mythos. It's what inspired me to take up game designing as a profession in the future.

7) Yes. I've met plenty of Sonic fans like myself in person, but none who are big of fans as I am.

8) I think the future of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise is a bright one. The fandom? I think it'll more or less stay the same as it is now.

9) I'm a 21 year old male living on the east coast of the United States.

As a kid, I would occasionally watch AoSTH on TV - that was what introduced me to the series in the first place. I first found out about the games from...I think it was an issue from the now-defunt Tips and Tricks magazine. It was either that or an Electronic Gaming Monthly issue. Either way, there was a 'cheat' that showed how to get Super Sonic in Adventure (for all you people who are going; 'Cheat?! Where?! How?!', it was just a little mini walkthrough covering the Last Story of the game; 'go to the Master Emerald Shrine, go to the Master Emerald shrine in the past, go to the jungle where the Tornado crashed, fight Perfect Chaos as Super Sonic, bam.' That's it.

Hey, like I said, it did introduce me to the existance of the games.

And speaking of the games, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle was my first foray into that aspect of being a Sonic fan. Since then, my Sonic game collection has grown and grown.

But what cemented my status as a 'fan' was Sonic SatAM. I never got a chance to watch it as a kid, and when I first learned the complete series was coming to DVD I wanted it so bad. Got it for my 17th birthday, absolutely loved it. That show is the reason for any forum members I have, any fanfics I write, any fan art I do, and so on.

If you didn't catch it in my answer to the first question, indeed I do. I have a bunch of fan characters (and only one of them is a hedgehog....that I haven't even gotten a chance to use yet) that I write fan fiction around. (I have TRIED to write canon character fics, but they never turned out well....) I've also done fan art, but I tend to show the few I do to one or two people only. And, I also dable in Sonic-related avatars and signatures now and again. Why do I do this? Because I'm a very creative person and I need an outlit to express this creativity.

Other than the games, and some DVDs of the shows, not really.

Money? Probably 'bout, oh...$60 dollars on average. Not much. Time...

There is no possibly way for me to even accuretly guestimate that. XD

Since I first saw AoSTH. And I do not remember when that was. =<

Well, despite what the naysayers may think, I honestly think the series has always been good, with the exception of a few...duds in the series. (note; I'm not including 06 as such, mainly because I've never played it.) I'm also very opened minded when it comes to new ideas SEGA may bring to the series - let me actually play the game first, then I'll decide whether to hate this new gameplay mode or not. Believe it or not people, the Werehog is actually my favorite part of Unleashed

No, you did not read that wrong - I said the Werehog is my favorite part of Unleashed.

And I can hear the shotguns loading now.

Yes I have, actually.

Despite all the hardships the series has had in the past, it, just like the titular character himself, shows no sign of slowing down. Recent successes like Colors and Generations have slowly brought the series back in favor with the gaming community and we can only hope that SEGA can keep it up.

As for the fandom...they are quite unpredictable. One moment, they can be cool and enjoy the games just to enjoy them - and the next they can be bawling over the slightest detail. Can't tell what'll happen with them.

San Antonio, Texas, USA

Female

Edited by Special Operative Blaire

Greetings everyone,

I am new to this site, but I do hope to become active as time goes on (if my schedule allows it). I was wondering if the collection of Sonic fans here would be willing to do a very quick favor.

You see, I am currently enrolled in a fandom studies class at the University of North Florida, and I'm taking an in-depth look at the Sonic fandom. I figured that this site would be the best place to go for that purpose. With that said, I have a survey here, and I would really appreciate if some of you would fill it out. It's entirely voluntary, of course. If you are not comfortable answering it here, feel free to send me a personal message.

I am curious about this whole concept pertaining to Fandom Studies, since I pretty much am trying to get into the University of North Florida because I am about to graduate from my undergrad studies. Ha. I wonder if I know your professor?

Practically it is based out of nostalgia. I had a friend who had a Genesis as a kid and we would go over to his house and play his games. Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles was considered a pretty huge thing back in my childhood, so I guess you could say I latched on for a couple of reasons; one was the appeal of animal protagonists since I always related more to animals as a child than humans (certain studies show that this is true for children, that most identify more with animal characters than humans in general.) Another reason I had was to "be in the know" to what was popular at the time. A final reason is that it didn't seem to talk down, grasp at straws or pander to the extreme ends of cliches that other mascots that followed: E.G. Awesome Possum and the hyper "radical attitude" ( this is only pertaining to the games and not the T.V. shows.)

To channel my creativity and love into the characters that I respect and admire most. It sounds corny, but it has helped me to improve and hone my writing/critical thinking/anatomical skills. One could also feel a sense of power knowing that you have control over the character's actions and the scenario.

Only for the Robotnik/Dr. Eggman merchandise. All of the other characters do not hold my interest. The reasons are to show my pride, admiration and fandom for the character in general.

Not nearly as much as being a Mario fan.

I have been a Sonic fan for four years when I was little. I have been a Robotnik fan for nearly seven+ years now.

Dr. Robotnik - His attitude, his bombast interactions and the fact that he never grows stale and still provides comedic amusement for me.

Sort-of. Not many Sonic fans in comparison to Mario fans where I live.

I think it has two polarizing outlooks: one of doom and gloom - a washed up mascot that tries to hang on to his glory by riding his name into the dirt in order to sell titles despite the quality. The fandom that usually accompanies this outlook is filled with people frothing at the mouths and screaming at each other about it's nostalgia through rosy-colored glasses while obsessively beating this dead horse into fertilizer.

The other are just casual people who don't care. Ordinary fans. The outlook of this is usually reflected by games that have been considered good in quality whether by the influence of external reviews or by general, personal opinion.

Despite either side, people will bring up a future generation to enjoy the quality of these games, whether or not the quality that we speak of is for better or worse.

In my profile.

It wasn't until 2006. When I was on holiday at a camp site called Mill Park (near Combe Martin) that had a club house with an arcade cabinet that had some Mega Drive games, one of which was Sonic 2. I was hooked on it, and for christmas that year I got a "Play TV legends" (or whatever it's called) system by Radica that featured Sonic 1 and 2 (It also had Sonic Spinball and Dr. Robotnik's Mean bean machine, but I didn't bother with them).

I don't produce Sonic fanart, I prefer to do comic strips featuring my own characters and produce artwork to go into my portfolio that I'll need in order to apply for college, where I'm going to study art.

I don't produce a lot of Sonic-related videos. I have produced a couple of (bloody awful) games using Game maker. I've done this for several reasons; I find it fun to do, and I also like to see how close to the classic physics I can get by using what game-making knowledge I have. (As you can see by this game: http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/194557-sonic--the-robotnik-empire--demo-2 my attempt to replicate the classic physics is nothing short of terrible)

I collect the old Sonic games, or whichever ones I can, because I'm starting to build my own collection of old video games, but this mainly consists of driving games and platformers. I don't go out of my way to collect every single piece of merchandise, I'll just buy something once in a while that I think I might like, and I sometimes get a sonic shirt for christmas.

Not a lot. I don't try and let Sonic be an important part of my life as much as being an artist (as well as a sort of comic buff), so the only sonic part of my life that costs money is buying the games.

I've been coming and going from the fanbase since 2006.

Often I'll get back into the franchise when a new game is announced and I start getting interested; my interest factor will range from a "Well, I hope it turns out alright, but I'm not expecting much" in the case of Sonic 4, to "Holy shit this is gonna be amazing!" in the case of Sonic Generations. It's interesting to see what new thing Sonic Team or Dimps will have in store for us when a new game is round the corner. It's mostly the classics I take an interest in, so Sonic 4's release was a little underwhelming, but I certainly didn't expect to see classic Sonic in Generations.

No, not really. I know a couple of people who have played some of the games, but that's about it.

Seeing the brilliance that is Sonic generations, and the steady build-up back to brilliance that occured between 2007 and 2011 makes me feel convinced that Sonic has a bright future ahead of him. In this day and age he may not be able to outsell games like the Call of duty series, but quality-wise he will give those games a run for their money. I am hoping that Sonic will last long enough to celebrate 50 years, or even 100 years if possible.

I'm 17/18, living in Northamptonshire, UK, Male, straight.

I am curious about this whole concept pertaining to Fandom Studies, since I pretty much am trying to get into the University of North Florida because I am about to graduate from my undergrad studies. Ha. I wonder if I know your professor?

The professor is Dr. Howell of the English department.

Thanks a ton everyone! You gave me a lot of great responses. I have written the assignment and submitted it. I'll try to find the time to post here semi-regularly.

The professor is Dr. Howell of the English department.

Thanks a ton everyone! You gave me a lot of great responses. I have written the assignment and submitted it. I'll try to find the time to post here semi-regularly.

Nope. I thought it would be Prof. John Oliver of the Psychology department.

Glad we could help with your project.

Thanks a ton everyone! You gave me a lot of great responses. I have written the assignment and submitted it.

I demand you tell us your grade when you get it.

As well as what you wrote for your paper.

• 1 month later...

Edited by BlueBlurMe

I grew up a Nintendo kid; Truth be told, I still widely prefer Mario over Sonic, but when Sonic Adventure 2 was ported to the Gamecube (as Sonic Adventure 2 Battle), I decided to give the little blue hedgehog a chance.

I played this game, and selected the Dark side story. Immediately, I gravitated toward the nefarious Dr. Eggman, thinking he was one of the absolute coolest characters in gaming. I've been an Eggman fan ever since, and am glad I gave the series a chance back in early 2002.

I do a bit of drawing and writing every now and then. My reasoning is because I like the subject matter, and have fun producing fan content for it. Eggman's really fun to draw too!

Eh, not really. I have a good chunk of the games, and a couple of figures, but I wouldn't call myself an avid collector, really.

It's a highly casual hobby. As such, I spend only a scant amount of time with the series proper, and even less money. Truth be told, I spend more time posting here than I actually do playing the Sonic games or perusing Sonic media itself. And even then, I just check the forums sporadically.

About ten years.

To the series? Dr. Eggman.

To the (largely dysfunctional) fanbase? This very forum, which seems to be a shining exception among the horrors of the Sonic fandom, containing mostly well-adjusted folks who simply enjoy talking about a shared hobby.

I've met people who like Sonic games, if that's what you mean. I wouldn't say I've met the really obsessive types, but then, I myself am not one of those anyway. I've met the sorts of people who- like myself- can say "Yes, I enjoy the Sonic the Hedgehog series."

Who can say? It hasn't come to be yet, so it could be anything imaginable.

I'm 23. I'm from the United States. I'm male.