Awoo.

Status Comments Broken

Blue Blood

Thx Phan.

This is a bit strange, it'd suggest the two issues have different causes. The comments are a server-side problem (likely PHP) that only affect certain statuses - and I'll likely be working on that once I've finished downloading 500 megs of files from SSMB so I can debug it - but that notification response you posted looks the same as a working example, so that'd suggest an issue client-side (e.g. Javascript or perhaps HTML).

If you open up the Console tab, does anything appear in there when the notification button is clicked?

I have no idea what it means, but this is what popped up.

event.layerX and event.layerY are broken and deprecated in WebKit. They will be removed from the engine in the near future.

event.layerX and event.layerY are broken and deprecated in WebKit. They will be removed from the engine in the near future.

I would like to mention this happened to me as well (it's been happening from a long time).

And I would like to add most of these "status breaking" happens when an user posts certain characters that ends up glitching the whole thing... Take for example Phanto's current nickname... Am I the only one seeing those little question marks where other character would normally go? (I doubt he added question marks in his nick) Those glitched characters are what normally end up messing up with the status updates and other things (yesterday I wanted to add a like to a post Phanto liked and the whole list of people who +rep'd the post disappeared).

Of course, this is what happened in my case (I confess I sort of experimented a bit with adding spanish accents to some of my words in some of my status comments and when the glitched question mark character appeared it ended up messing the whole thing... Most of the time).

Ah, that would make sense then. That may well be the cause, and if so I may be able to change some character set settings to sort it out.

lol now my nick is messed up... laugh.png

Oh well, it was supposed to be a "one day thing" anyways. *goes to change it back*

EDIT: BTW I can see Phanto's nick now.

EDIT2: and now his nick is borked again...

Edited by gato

It still happens to me. Previously, i'll only show a few comments. For example, if there were two, three, or four comments, it'd show one, two, or three comments (respectively) only. This was a continuous issue for months. Now, many times, when I expand the comments section, the comments disappear on me.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

It's happening on random statuses for me. Some work, some don't.

Pretty much luck of the draw at the moment and it's bloody annoying when you miss out on the funs. =(

Yeah i've been getting it the past 2 days or so. I'm on Avant Browser not Chrome. Is anyone getting it on firefox?

So, I was just sitting in my Thinking Chair...

stevechair-758231.jpg

When I decided to do the Noodle Dance...

PB%26J_Otter_-_Noodle_Dance_1.jpg

Then suddenly...

8cd3e180-538f-46e4-b20e-28e99fcbdc56.jpg

7nTnr.png

Hold on there, partner, I think I know the problem:

It's your username.

You see, I came across this issue before when I tried posting a comment with weird symbols in it. Once that happened, I got the glitch. This was a good while ago, though... so I think the reason why it's only now becoming an issue is because it's your username.

See... "��" come up as question marks on my browser. I think that this somehow glitches up the comments.

I figured this out when you made a comment in my latest status update about Hydrocity's pronunciation (it's Hydro City, btw) and I couldn't see all 10 comments... until I deleted your post for the sake of experimentation.

So, try it out. Experiment and see if my theory is correct, and if so...

Please change your username! ohmy.png

I would like to mention this happened to me as well (it's been happening from a long time).

And I would like to add most of these "status breaking" happens when an user posts certain characters that ends up glitching the whole thing... Take for example Phanto's current nickname... Am I the only one seeing those little question marks where other character would normally go? (I doubt he added question marks in his nick) Those glitched characters are what normally end up messing up with the status updates and other things (yesterday I wanted to add a like to a post Phanto liked and the whole list of people who +rep'd the post disappeared).

Of course, this is what happened in my case (I confess I sort of experimented a bit with adding spanish accents to some of my words in some of my status comments and when the glitched question mark character appeared it ended up messing the whole thing... Most of the time).

I seconded his opinion before he made it, I'm that hipster.

• Thumbs Up 6

So its Phantomime's fault? BURN HIM! BURN THE WITCH AT THE STAKE!! Change your username bro its screwing us all up.

And shouldn't we ban the characters he is using for his username so it doesn't cause anymore status problems or maybe remind everyone not to use those symbols? I know were pretty free when it comes to our usernames but theres gotta be a line drawn when the board starts getting screwed up over someone's username having a few weird symbols over it.

Edited by goku262002

So, I was just sitting in my Thinking Chair...

stevechair-758231.jpg

When I decided to do the Noodle Dance...

PB%26J_Otter_-_Noodle_Dance_1.jpg

Then suddenly...

8cd3e180-538f-46e4-b20e-28e99fcbdc56.jpg

7nTnr.png

Hold on there, partner, I think I know the problem:

It's your username.

You see, I came across this issue before when I tried posting a comment with weird symbols in it. Once that happened, I got the glitch. This was a good while ago, though... so I think the reason why it's only now becoming an issue is because it's your username.

See... "��" come up as question marks on my browser. I think that this somehow glitches up the comments.

I figured this out when you made a comment in my latest status update about Hydrocity's pronunciation (it's Hydro City, btw) and I couldn't see all 10 comments... until I deleted your post for the sake of experimentation.

So, try it out. Experiment and see if my theory is correct, and if so...

Please change your username! ohmy.png

Ding-a-ling-ding-ding-DING! We have ourselves a WINNER!

*A roaring round of applause*

YES. It is in fact my fault, but just to clarify, here's what happened.

1) So, a couple days after the "Derpy Day" thing, I (naturally) wished to change my name back to "Phantomime".

2) Then I was thinkin' to myself, "What if this time around I did something to make it unique!" So what do I do? I try to put a spade in it. (Ph♠ntomime)

3) I put it in, name change, and BAM.

Ph�� ntomime

5) I naturally go to try and change it back, but the problem is, there has already been two name changes recently, making that very hard to do!

So that is why I have tried to not comment on as many statuses as I usually do, and sometimes delete my comments before they go where I cannot delete them!

I promise that as soon as I can, I WILL change my name back to only normal characters.

• Thumbs Up 3

Or just ask a mod or admin to change it for you? i'm sure they would change it back to your old username if they knew it was causing problems with the status.

Edited by goku262002

... I'll be perfectly honest, that thought didn't even cross my mind.

I just figured out that I was the one causing the problem yesterday afternoon myself, so...

I'll get to contacting a mod immediately.

Edited by Ph
  • Thumbs Up 1

So his name is changed now. is this problem still going on? i've been pretty good for the last day or so.

Edited by goku262002

Since Phanto's name was altered, I haven't bumped into that problem, either. I wonder if the glitch DID have something to do with the unregistered character.

Yes, after bmn fixed my username, it's all normal again. So thanks for that, bmn!

• 7 months later...

I'm thinking they're broken again. Any time I try to view more than the three most recent comments the page just scroll back to the top and nothing happens.