Awoo.

Should there be any more Storybook games?

Cyrus

Only if they change the gameplay completely. I don't want any more gimmicky on-rails crap.

Sonic with a sword could have been a really cool concept. But on-rails gameplay royally butchered it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Only if they change the gameplay completely. I don't want any more gimmicky on-rails crap.

Yeah, too much rails, not enough platforming and/or running.

Sonic with a sword could have been a really cool concept. But on-rails gameplay royally butchered it.
I think it's a pretty terrible concept regardless, but the rails didn't do it any favors. Edited by Diogenes

I don't think so. I actually enjoyed Black Knight, but it was still a mess of a game. Another storybook game would imply more on-rails gameplay and RPG elements that are more of a nuisance than anything.

If nothing else, I want more games that are Storybook games in spirit. The gameplay could be improved, made less slippery, more encouraging of non-rails, and the controls tightened up a bit. But the Storybook series had some of the most endearing, funny, lovable and gripping moments of character and storytelling in the entire Sonic franchise as far as I'm concerned. I'd love to see that kind of charm in the writing of Sonic plots again. Stories that aren't skin-and-bones and have some substance, put together with accurate characterization, and the quality of gameplay we've been seeing lately? Yes please.

Roger Craig Smith's Sonic voice + Script like that = 400 Karat GOLD.

I'm sure some people would disagree with me, but I'd like to see Black Knight's style of cutscenes transferred over to the main series—maybe just slightly more vivid and animated. I just find the style a lot more pleasing to the eye than in-engine cutscenes, and I can watch them and pay attention for longer (full CG for climatic scenes should stay; in fact, using full CG after a game-full of comic book-style cutscenes just gives the CG a bigger impact).

As for another Storybook game? Eh...I wouldn't mind if they made a third, but I also wouldn't really mind if they don't.

...Yeah. unsure.png

I'm sure some people would disagree with me, but I'd like to see Black Knight's style of cutscenes transferred over to the main series—maybe just slightly more vivid and animated. I just find the style a lot more pleasing to the eye than in-engine cutscenes, and I can watch them and pay attention for longer (full CG for climatic scenes should stay; in fact, using full CG after a game-full of comic book-style cutscenes just gives the CG a bigger impact).

Edited by JezMM

I'll play it for the plot if anything. I don't mind the onrails style at all, but I'd much prefer it if the gameplay was in the same vein as Sonic Colors, minus wisps. I always wondered how black knight would have without the onrails and with precision swinging ala Skyward Sword...

Well half the game is story so I'd expect it to be damn good. Well at least decent. As for gameplay, they could just put the current style in the storybook or even make it fully 2D and I'd be happy.

I haven't played Black Knight, so I can't say my opinion based on that. I can state my opinion based on my experience with SatSR though.

I don't think we need another Storybook title. I thought the Arabian Knights setting was out of place, and I thought the story was awful. Plus the gameplay was downright frustrating, with horrid controls, unnecessary level ups and customization, and....horrid controls. I hated Shahra, I hated Erazor, and I just wanted Sonic to go back to Green Hill or Station Square or wherever the hell he lives.

Black Knight. Like I said, I haven't played it, but I at least think a medieval setting is slightly better than an Arabian Knights setting for Sonic. That said, Sonic with a sword has got to be one of the dumbest ideas anyone has ever thought up in the history of thought. When I saw it for the first time on Nintendo Power's cover, I honestly couldn't believe my eyes. I knew SEGA was stupid at the time, what with the Werehog, but even that seemed like an April Fool's joke. I'm glad they tried some new ideas, but sometimes it can be taken too far. I think these stories should just stay in their original books.

Also, Sonic laying on the couch and reading? That just doesn't sit well with me.

Also, Sonic laying on the couch and reading? That just doesn't sit well with me.

What's wrong with Sonic laying on the couch reading a good book? unsure.png

• Thumbs Up 6

Black Knight. Like I said, I haven't played it, but I at least think a medieval setting is slightly better than an Arabian Knights setting for Sonic. That said, Sonic with a sword has got to be one of the dumbest ideas anyone has ever thought up in the history of thought. When I saw it for the first time on Nintendo Power's cover, I honestly couldn't believe my eyes. I knew SEGA was stupid at the time, what with the Werehog, but even that seemed like an April Fool's joke. I'm glad they tried some new ideas, but sometimes it can be taken too far. I think these stories should just stay in their original books.

Dumber than mechs, treasure hunting, fishing, guns? This series has been doing gimmicks like that for years now. It's one thing to think it wasn't executed well, and I'd agree with you somewhat, but I don't think the ideas itself was anything all that surprising or inherently terrible.

Though I have to admit a part of me thought Werehog was a joke when we first heard about it even though I kinda like Werehog now.

Huh? Why not? Sonic's been seen to kick back and be lazy now and then. Besides, the guy was sick. I don't exactly wanna be out kicking ass or breaking sound barriers when I'm sick either.

Edited by DC111
  • Thumbs Up 1

The sword is an extra layer of stupid since they applied it to Sonic himself.

You're just being nitpicky. Sonic has had different styles of gameplay; Platforming, racing, beat em up, and super fast obstacle coursing. Why not sword swinging?

I'm not being nitpicky. I don't want Sonic doing things that don't fit his character, and I don't want Sonic platformers that have unfitting gimmicks tacked on. Swinging a sword around qualifies as both.

I'm not saying there hasn't been gimmicks in the series before, but some at least seemed to fit in with the universe well. Mechs weren't that fun, but since robots had been in the series since the beginning it at least didn't feel COMPLETELY out of place. I'd say mechs and treasure hunting are on the less offensive side of the gimmick spectrum, while fishing, the Werehog, and the sword are on the more offensive side.

As for Sonic reading, I wasn't being completely serious. It isn't a problem in any way, I just personally thought it was slightly out of character. It's a nitpick.

I'm not being nitpicky. I don't want Sonic doing things that don't fit his character, and I don't want Sonic platformers that have unfitting gimmicks tacked on. Swinging a sword around qualifies as both.

Well, it shouldn't really matter in a spin-off? Not every single game needs to behave exactly like the Main-series.

The gameplay concept itself could have worked just fine, if they incorporated sword-swings into Sonic's normal moveset, keeping things fluid and simple. If it absolutely needed motion control, then the Nunchuck could function as Sonic's standard analogue controls + Spindash or whatever, and the Wiimote have accurate-ish sword swings that happen without jarringly slowing you down to a halt. Complete 3D motion could have made it quite fun.

I'm not saying there hasn't been gimmicks in the series before, but some at least seemed to fit in with the universe well. Mechs weren't that fun, but since robots had been in the series since the beginning it at least didn't feel COMPLETELY out of place. I'd say mechs and treasure hunting are on the less offensive side of the gimmick spectrum, while fishing, the Werehog, and the sword are on the more offensive side.

As for Sonic reading, I wasn't being completely serious. It isn't a problem in any way, I just personally thought it was slightly out of character. It's a nitpick.

1st: So shooting humans didn't feel out of place? Hmm.

2nd: Even anthropomorphic hedgehogs need SOMETHING to stimulate the mind, Greg. xD

Arguably, Sonic was characterized at his best in Black Knight.