Awoo.

GameWorks no longer owned by Sega

SonikkuForever

Heard about it back in December, shame.

I live near Miami, I remember there was one at the largest mall in state when I was little, until it was later renovated with a generic name. The sad thing is, I'd been there once.

I found out there was another one located next to the AMC Theater, but it's too late for that. :c

Seriously, I was thinking the same thing. I thought a ton more of you guys would have heard of GameWorks or at least knew about all of this existing.

A ton of people here around Miami know what GameWorks is, maybe it's just because we have a few here and there. I knew about this because of friends of mine who would go there and the air hockey board would remind them of me because they know about my fascination of Sonic, so I have a few photos of it on my phone from various text messages.

Yeah, I was surprised so many people weren't aware that Gameworks was basically the Joypolis of America, though more like a Dave and Busters than an indoor amusement park. When I was a kid, I visited one any chance I got! I was the closest to visiting SEGA HQ in my eyes. I had a play card in my wallet for the longest time. I visited the one in Schaumburg, Illinois two or three times. I remember it was in an AWESOME location, because nearby was a combination Japanese grocery store/book store. A visit to Gameworks and then there was like visiting a Japanese Chinatown. laugh.png

I didn't know SEGA sold them though. Really sucks. I actually was upping the SEGA aspects of their company over at Facebook and every time I did they gave me a like. Looks like whoever runs their facebook misses the SEGA days.

Edited by Barry the Nomad

• 3 weeks later...

I'm one of those people that never even heard of GameWorks. <<;

Dang, I would've loved to go there if SEGA still owned the place. Too late for me now. :(

I never heard on this place! WHY ESPN!? YOU HATING ON SONIC! YA'LL COULDA KEPT THAT STUFF IN THERE!

Sonic_Crying_by_kylegomezultimate.jpg

Come to think of it, our school went on a field trip to Gameworks as an 'end of the year' thing last year.

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP!

I come bearing good news!

I just got back from a trip to the Seattle GameWorks. I'm not sure if the same goes for all of the other GameWorks, but in Seattle at least, the Sega influence is all still there!

(You'll have to forgive the crappy quality of the pics, all I had on me was my iPod Touch)

Right when I walked in, there was that wall of Sega that I remembered so fondly.

gameworks2012_1.jpg

Also, all of the Sonic-related prizes are still there. There were even ones I didn't remember seeing before, like a Sonic beach towel.

gameworks2012_2.jpg

gameworks2012_3.jpg

There was also Sonic air hockey and a crane machine full of Sonic balls (I gave it a few tries but unfortunately didn't win any D: ).

gameworks2012_4.jpg

gameworks2012_5.jpg

They also still have a giant Tails plushie hanging up in one of the corners.

gameworks2012_6.jpg

In the end I had just enough tickets to buy a Sonic beach ball and a sticker sheet.

gameworks2012_7.jpg

Right when I walked in I felt the desire to share this all with you guys. I wanted to bring a little positivity into this thread. :D

When I lived in illinois, I was invited to go to GameWorks as part of a reunion thing with some friends I lost contact with nearly 10 years (26 years old atm).

"we should go to gameworks!" a buddy suggested.

"What's that?" I asked.

"It's this bar and it has all these arcade games!" He replied in excitement, not truly letting on the fact it had Sonic there. And he knew damn well i love Sonic.

"Nah, let's just go see a movie or something, my girlfriend wouldn't like if she knew I was at a bar" The other friend said.

So we instead went to go see a movie.

If I have known how awesome this place truly was....that it had Sonic....

I would followed my own path, to awesomeness.

I'm bummed out now. sad.png

Edited by Dreamhog

The one in Tempe also still has Sega influence though they sold the Sonic Hockey table and the Sega UFO machines

............So, I had to grow up with Chuck' e cheese when this place existed the whole time? My dream 5th birthday party was there all along and I never got it. Now i'm a 21 year old artist drunk with money?

motherfucker.gif

Edited by Abominal Taz

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

Your friendly neighborhood GameWorks Social Media guy here... (and before everyone shouts "viral marketing," also an avid SEGA, Sonic, and message board fan. I promise I'll post when I can.)

I stumbled upon this earlier today and wanted to apologize for not seeing it sooner. As a big fan that's been coming to GameWorks since the Las Vegas location opened in 1997, I was a bit wistful when I saw the SEGA brand go, myself. For a little while there, I got to go out on location with Sonic himself, and accompany the Blue Blur in all kinds of events in the city! Sadly, SEGA's time with GameWorks had to come to a close, and while it's the end of an era, it's not the end of GameWorks.

But don't get too distressed. You'll certainly see some of SEGA's classic style in some of our venues, just like the mural you saw from our GameWorks Seattle location. We're committed to renewing the classic and new arcade experience so everyone out there gets a chance to feel like we did as kids when walking into one of these venues back in 1997. There's exciting things on the horizon, and just because SEGA's no longer attached, don't give up hope. There's some avid gamers and fans of the brand behind making GameWorks a destination again. If you live close, far, or on the other side of the world, come on in and see us.

Thanks for reading... as a little bonus, here's some mock-up art of a Virtua Cop statue from way back when GameWorks was only a glimmer in SEGA & DreamWorks' eye. And as far as I know, it hasn't been posted elsewhere ever before... just here on Sonic Stadium.org.

virtuacop.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

Exclusive concept art?

That's one way to endear yourself to a new audience. tongue.png

Nice to hear that GW is still committed to the arcade experience though. To be honest, there is nothing like walking into a good arcade. Problem is that they are so few and far in-between these days. Its a shame the Sega branding has come and gone, but at least the core operation is still up and running....

• Thumbs Up 1

Ahh.. well, Gameworks seemed to be disappearing. I heard the Las Vegas location closed down and that was probably the best one I went to.

img0656cn.jpg

Very cute display on the 2nd floor (love the Silver plush). This is an old picture.

img0333v.jpg

Sonic air hockey.

I really enjoyed the ticket games to get some Sonic stuff. I got some awesome mugs with Sonic on them along with stickers and such.

040209154700.jpg

Here are the stickers. I put them on candy because they were squares.. and I didn't know what else to do with them. I still have a few sheets.

I'll miss you Gameworks and your UFO catchers!

Patch, that setup brings me back. I bought my Espio & Vector action figures just because of that display! Was that early 2011?

According to my computer.. the picture of the display was from June 2011. Pretty close!

img0335qz.jpg

The prices on the merchandise was expensive. I suppose for people visiting from other countries would enjoy buying that stuff. You could get the figures at normal retail stores or online much cheaper.

img0331uq.jpg

And I'm pretty much out of pictures of good ole Gameworks Las Vegas. I never REALLY liked the place but I now regret not taking more pictures since it's gone. Oh well.

Gosh, never knew it shut down. T-T

I've been to GameWorks like 10+ times when I was on vacation in Las Vegas. I think there was an M&M World also nearby. I'll never forget my visits to GameWorks Las Vegas as that was the first time I played Sonic the Fighters (which was an addictive game) and House of the Dead. And I played a lotta air hockey games there too. I think I also played Mario Kart GP and a Tekken game (which you use your legs and arms like Kinect) there too.

But WOW. GameWorks was the key location when I visited Las Vegas. I'm shocked now Sega's no longer part of it.

BUMP!

I come bearing good news!

I just got back from a trip to the Seattle GameWorks. I'm not sure if the same goes for all of the other GameWorks, but in Seattle at least, the Sega influence is all still there!

(You'll have to forgive the crappy quality of the pics, all I had on me was my iPod Touch)

Right when I walked in, there was that wall of Sega that I remembered so fondly.

gameworks2012_1.jpg

Also, all of the Sonic-related prizes are still there. There were even ones I didn't remember seeing before, like a Sonic beach towel.

gameworks2012_2.jpg

gameworks2012_3.jpg

There was also Sonic air hockey and a crane machine full of Sonic balls (I gave it a few tries but unfortunately didn't win any D: ).

gameworks2012_4.jpg

gameworks2012_5.jpg

They also still have a giant Tails plushie hanging up in one of the corners.

gameworks2012_6.jpg

In the end I had just enough tickets to buy a Sonic beach ball and a sticker sheet.

gameworks2012_7.jpg

Right when I walked in I felt the desire to share this all with you guys. I wanted to bring a little positivity into this thread. biggrin.png

Seeing that post literally gave me sweet dreams of Sega theme parks the other night. Thank you!

• Thumbs Up 1

I saw a sign for Gameworks in Sunrise, FL, by Sawgrass I think... I want to go now so bad, and I hope it's not too late before the SEGA stuff is gone!

Edit: Nevermind, it is... It appears it was sold off and renamed to GameRoom, blergh.

Edited by tenchibr