Awoo.

Xbox 720 / NeXtBox / Durango / Infinity

Red Cap

I find it funny how all of you are lapping up these "news" reports like major nelson himself is saying it.

This is why I stay out of nextgen console topics, its filled with nothing but rumors that tick people off until the console is revealed. I'd bet if we dug around for an old XB360 topic from ages ago we can find just as much outlandish rumors. (even though we cant thankyouverymuchserverwipe)

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm considering buying the next Xbox over the PS4 if only for the purpose of backwards compatibility. Sony won't have it, and have no option either, since support for the cell processor died years ago and they don't have the resources to stuff a PS3 into every PS4 or write a ton of code.[info]

For the Xbox, on the other hand, it's the biggest adoption gun they carry and very likely to be included. Assuming there are no substantial changes to the CPU/GPU architecture the amount of backwards compatibility issues will be very minor. The reason the 360 and the first Xbox were not 100% backwards compatible was a radical shift in GPU tech, proprietary nVidia GPU calls could not be replicated with the ATI GPUs. Something that won't be a problem for the next console.

The real hard part is the architecture shift. PPC to what I'm guessing is x86-64.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I'll be reserving the next xbox as soon as we are able to. Really interested in next-gen to be honest. Kinda cool how kinect is already intergrated in the system (well if this turns out to be true, which would make sense anyways) But rumors are rumors so I'll take it with a grain of salt. I remember people saying the 360 was gonna ban used games but it did not quite turn out that way.

Edited by Urban Flow

Aparently this is in the Destiny video that was just posted online.

yAE7icI.jpg

Infinity... Always online =p

Well this is going to be good.dry.png

I console that needs to be always connected to the internet, I can barely link my xbox 360...

I hope this isn't true.

Is that an infinity symbol or is an eight turned sideways?

Maybe you're supposed to play the new console in a supine position?!

Well this might actually be a hoax, the fellow who posted the image has suddenly gone very quiet and isn't answering simple questions like 'where has the mysterious logo come from?'

Is that an infinity symbol or is an eight turned sideways?

Maybe you're supposed to play the new console in a supine position?!

Or topless... it's a pair of bewbs! =p

• Thumbs Up 2

Aparently this is in the Destiny video that was just posted online.

yAE7icI.jpg

Infinity... Always online =p

Wait, where in the video is that? I didn't see that.

If that was true, it'd actually be pretty clever. Windows 8. Xbox with a "sideways" 8 standing for infinity.

But still, how would you top a name like that for future consoles though? It sounds so..."endgame."

• Thumbs Up 5

Ah this is most likely fake now.

The website which had this as the news source has finally come back online after the thousands of people rushed it.

The source is the same guy who posted that Sonic Adventure 3 tweet about a week ago... you know, the guy who constantly gets things wrong?

You can see the website here.

• Thumbs Up 6

The ball is now in Microsoft's court.

Come E3, they'll be the only company left to announce their new console (unless they do a Sony earlier), so while Nintendo is busy revealing its post-launch line-up for much of the rest of the year, and while Sony goes through the formalities of giving us the PS4's prices, dates and shell design, Microsoft might have to cram equivalents of everything Sony unveiled today and will be unveil at E3. In that info-frenzy, a lot of good stuff may be thrown under the radar, for better or worse (though this is a regular thing for E3 anyway, sadly).

I just hope that the 'no second hand games' rumor isn't true. The damage it might do to the Xbox brand in the event of its truthiness could be catastrophic.

With their competition keeping the status quo, it would take nothing short of the highest point of arrogance to block used games. They would get killed.

I don't think Microsoft can match Gaikai's technology at this time, as Gaikai has been specializing on cloud gaming for years. So Sony has an huge advantage over that. Microsoft would have to purchase OnLive for a shortcut.

Microsoft has been really pushing Kinect for the past number of years or so, and saw there was a market for it so I think the next Xbox will surround itself with improved Kinect technology.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

Would they have to buy OnLive? A 'partnership' with OnLive would benefit both companies. Especially with the fact that this ends up opening up PC exclusives and more.

Not really hyped about the whole Kenect thing... I never liked it on the Xbox, but hopefully they can pull the rabbit out of the hat. They also need to be different from Wii U and Sony to come up on top this gen.

Kinect I still think, is something that is best mostly for interfacing. At best excercise/party games. Core games simply do not function with a whole-body motion-based input system. Its like a twisted uncanny valley. You lose your immersion because of your own physical limitations as a person interfering with how you interact with a fictitious character.

• Thumbs Up 2

Kinect I still think, is something that is best mostly for interfacing. At best excercise/party games. Core games simply do not function with a whole-body motion-based input system. Its like a twisted uncanny valley. You lose your immersion because of your own physical limitations as a person interfering with how you interact with a fictitious character.

Extra Credits put it best, I think. We're a tool-using species by nature, a good control scheme allows us to forget that the controller is even there. But with the Kinect, doing stuff like trying to move by running in place, for example, just doesn't feel right because that's just not natural.

• Thumbs Up 2

At this point "Partnering with OnLive" would just mean "scavenging whatever is left on the corpse." The company bought itself out to avoid bankruptcy for less money than Microsoft probably spends on their company picnics.

Edited by Tornado