Awoo.

I was stupid once - Your Stupid Moments in Video Games

Jeffhog

Alright, since I haven't seen the existence of such a thread, I think I'll set it up.

Basically, this thread is here to recount your most embarrassing memories in video games. Whether it was over something so blatantly obvious that you've felt stupid for afterwards, or something you were too batshit scared to do over whatever reason, or any other moments that you would deem embarrassing, share the lulz here and brighten up everyone's day!

With that being said and done, I'll start.

*ahem*

As I played The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, I reached Eldin Volcano up to the point where I had to look for 5 pieces of a key to let me into the Earth Temple, the game's second dungeon.

I got through the game up to that point without knowing that what I had to do to drop down onto a ledge and hold onto it was press the A button when on the ledge.

Imagine my reaction when I saw a gap without a bridge, and then this area being the only way around.

gameguide_zelda_ss_screenshot_040_97875_640screen.jpg

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF----

It took me about 2 and a half hours to try to figure out how to get across, then I consulted a walkthrough.

facedesk.gif

And that was me being a moron.

Edited by VizardJeffhog
  • Thumbs Up 3

^Oh damn. I did something very similar with the Eldin Volcano area, but it was right after that section and trying to find the fourth shard of key. I didn't see the little sand tunnel you had to find when you had to run through that burning cavern that catches your tunic on fire. I was stuck trying to figure out how to get to that section for AGES.

Stupidest moment I can think of off hand is when I first placed Ocarina of Time. I was about...11 or so my mom actually got the game for me during Christmas. I had never played a Zelda game previously until much later. Needless to say, as I ventured into the Great Deku Tree and fell past the spiderweb section into the deeper parts of the dungeon, I had no idea you could catch some of the spiderwebs on fire. I ran around, trying to figure out where I was supposed to go, for an hour or so before turning the game off. I later went back a few days later, recalling my friend had already beaten the game and asked for some advice in which he replied 'Did you light the web on fire?'

I wanted to smack myself for not thinking of that idea in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wind Waker, trying to find out how to hit Puppet Ganon. Never knew how lost id be without Z-Targeting.

Edited by Grooseinator032

THIS TEST CHAMBER! I was live-streaming my first time doing it and it took me like 30 or 40 minutes to solve. When I solved it, I felt so stupid and was laughing it off.

This was rather stupid of me but it still counts.

sonic_colors_green_wisp-1.jpg

I couldn't figure out how to use the Green Wisp at first. The hint was a bit vague for me and I thought it meant to keep pushing the button to hover and well that wasn't working so I had to put the game down until I realized that it worked like SA2's mech hovering stuff. Oh well. :P

First one that springs to mind would be Super Mario Galaxy.

I absoloutely prided myself on 100% finishing this game without a guide. This was such an important game to me I would not have any of my experience dictated to me by something outside of the game. And I did it. I got 240 stars without so much as glancing at a guide.

...Then I needed a guide to find the entrance to the Grand Finale Galaxy, which was located in the one place I forgot to look.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 7

I always thought you had to repeatedly tap the boost button in Heroes' special stages.

This, but with grinding. It seems really silly because speeding up involving holding down the button in SA2, but in Heroes the "B" icon sort of pulsed quickly, implying it had to be tapped to me.

The main cause of my rage on Final Fortress, where holding down the speed up is required to survive the very final moment.

• Thumbs Up 4

The game was Legend of Zelda Phantom Hour Glass. I was in the Ocean King's Temple and had reached the point where there are coordinates on the wall to put on your chart. It kept telling me to 'press' my map against the wall. I had no idea what it meant by 'press' so I rubbed the map with my stylus without any results. After what felt like a month later, I was going crazy trying to figure out how to get the damn coordinates to transfer to Link's map, so I looked up a FAQ. Turns out all I had to do...was shut the DS and reopen it. I was furious and felt like a complete moron afterwards.

I always thought you had to repeatedly tap the boost button in Heroes' special stages.

You mean you don't

>.>

<.<

My mind is blown, I set my controller to turbo mode and everything.

• Thumbs Up 7

To be fair, tapping the button is better than holding because it doen't drain meter as quickly and holding takes too long to get up to speed and the speeds you reach are wildly uncontrollable.

Edited by Black Spy

The barrel from sonic the hedgehog 3,

weeks upon weeks i couldn't figure it out.

Anything that had to do with mazes was not my best skill

oh yea, sonic generations last boss

To be fair, tapping the button is better than holding because it doen't drain meter as quickly and holding takes too long to get up to speed and the speeds you reach are wildly uncontrollable.

My mind is blown too. I've had the game since 2004 and I beat Super Hard mode years ago. All this time, I thought you tapped the button while in the special stages. :/

I did the same thing with Sonic Adventure 2's final hazard. It wasn't until about 2006 that I found out you could hold down the button to continually boost instead of just tapping it.

I do not feel very smart right now.

Edited by DarkDefeater

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

In the Forest Temple the Boss Key is guarded by a gate that can only be opened when you enter a certain combination with the Gale Boomerang. I didn't know that combination and spent quite awhile figuring it out via trial-and-error. I solved it eventually and took my hard-earned Boss Key and once I turned around, I saw it.

The combination for the gate.

Was on the fucking ground the entire time.

Edited by Nix
  • Thumbs Up 1

228px-Sword_4852.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword:

In the Eldin "Bokoblin Fortress" segment of the game, there are cracked rocks you have to blow up in order to progress through this segment. For the longest time, I spent my time aimlessly going around in a circle to find some bomb flowers to use (since I did not yet have access to my bombs again), then I find the bomb flower patch I needed in the one spot I kept passing by and forgot about from earlier on when I wondered what those bombs were for, and had at first deemed them pointless.

Gee, I felt so stupid after that.

The Zelda series seems to cause a lot of these moments. I had to use a guide for the first two dungeons of Skyward Sword, and figured out the solutions that I was looking for were blatantly obvious. :/

Oh, and I'm not sure if this counts, but when I was 13, I was having trouble on the final boss of Final Fantasy VIII, gave up, and watched the ending on Youtube. I feel terrible about it to this very day.

• Thumbs Up 1

getting frustrated while playing pokemon leaf green because articuno kept popping out of every ultra ball i threw at it. I gave up and finally threw a master ball at it. Then i found out your supposed to use it on the roaming legendary beasts. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!

The Time Eater...that was some cryptic sh*t, the first time I fought it anyway.

Sonic friends saying "DAT LOOX LIK A HOMIN SHAWT!!!" OVER 9000 times didn't help either...

Edited by KrazyBean14

Tony Hawk's Underground 1. The mission where you have to get the gear back from the local thugs. I kept walking right into their field of vision like a moron and though "How are you supposed to beat this!?" Later, I saw a YouTube video of that part, and I felt stupid because you were supposed to avoid them by climbing on top of the houses >_>

wait...you don't have to?

WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

sequence-0101.gif

A standout moment of stupidity for me was, I think, in Final Fantasy X. Y'see, Final Fantasy is a very... cinematic series, shall we say. I watched a cutscene, and it was a particularly long one, so I'd put the pad down, and waited for it to end.

After a while, I realised, there was no more dialoge, the camera wasn't swinging around, and nor were the characters moving beyond their limited idle animations.

That's when it hit me. The cutscene ended 5 minutes ago.

I felt so dumb that day...

• Thumbs Up 1

To this day I have NO FUCKING CLUE how to grind in SA2.

Seriously, what the hell.

Edited by A Match in Oil Ocean Zone
  • Thumbs Up 2

To this day I have NO FUCKING CLUE how to grind in SA2.

Seriously, what the hell.

Jump on the rail, and then use the stick to balance. You have to point the stick in the opposite direction of the turn to counterbalance, much as you would if you could grind in real life. You can crouch to go faster by pressing the action button.

AND NOW YOU KNOW.

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought my rivals name in Pokemon gold was actually "???" when I fought him the first time. So then when the police officer asks for his name I called him "???" and didn't realize till later I get to pick his name. x_x

• Thumbs Up 6

This was rather stupid of me but it still counts.

sonic_colors_green_wisp-1.jpg

I couldn't figure out how to use the Green Wisp at first. The hint was a bit vague for me and I thought it meant to keep pushing the button to hover and well that wasn't working so I had to put the game down until I realized that it worked like SA2's mech hovering stuff. Oh well. tongue.png

I can relate to that! It looks like it should fly like Kirby, so I kept tapping A trying to make Sonic fly