Awoo.

Games many people love that you hate

Solid SOAP

Mario Kart 64 is one game which has received almost universal adulation, but which I find to be absolutely atrocious. Perhaps it is because I am used to playing more advanced, faster-paced racing titles, or that I have played MK: Double Dash and MK: Wii, both of which were released later and were of a quicker pace, but I find the game (MK64) to be so sluggishly paced as to be unplayable. The speed at which the player moves is so slow, and feels like his (or her) kart is trapped in a quagmire, to such a degree that every time I have endeavoured to play it, I have given up in sheer frustration.

I LOVED Mario Kart 64, but I think the only thing that hasn't aged badly about it is the soundtrack. Everything else is really bad by modern standards.

The soundtrack however they have never beaten. I don't understand why Kenta Nagata is incapable of making an ending theme as beautiful as that anymore.

OH thank you Indigo for reminding me.

198848_14041_front.jpg

Super%20Mario%20Sunshine.jpg

UUUUGGGGGGGHH

I hate these games. They might as well have just called them "Super Mario: Sidequest Adventures 1&2" since both games consist of boring sidequests.

Edited by Solkia :U
  • Thumbs Up 1

Batman Arkham Asylum and Batman Arkham City. oh shit controversial

"omg these gaems r so fkin awsom batman is so fking cool omg" Seriously, shut the fuck up about these games. @_@ Yes, they're good for a licensed superhero game, but still. I honestly think a lot of people are just jumping on the Batman bandwagon here, acting like Batman is the greatest shit ever. Yes, he's awesome, but as of recently, I can't help but think less of Batman. To me, it has a similar effect to "lol fuk yea ninjas" or "CHUCK NORRIS!!!!", and other stupid shit 12-year-olds like to constantly mention.

Batman Arkham Asylum is, like I said, great for a licensed game, but it isn't THAT amazing. Also, Batman Arkham City. Yahoo gives it a 6/5? Seriously? No. Fuck you. /rage

Something about your post makes me think that... well, that you never even played the two games for any length of time. Probably has something to do with the fact that ALL of your dislike is aimed at the culture who happens to care about a super hero for once, and none of the game's actual mechanics.

Both games, in my opinion, are amazing. Not for liscenced games, but for modern gaming period. They perfectly blend stealth, combat, and exploration in a way that very few other titles do (the only one which leaps to my mind being Assasins Creed). There was also a real sense of progression between the two games; Asylum's environment was more reminiscent of Metroid Prime or Bioshock in terms of where you could go and what you could do at whatever times, but City offered a completely open world along with the interior environments. There is so much to do in both games, and the core gameplay is strong enough that you don't easily tire of playing it.

I'm not a huge Batman fan, or an American comic fan in general. But I recognize how great these two games are based on their gameplay, artistic merit, and storylines. And if you don't like any of those three elements, then yes, you can be justified in hating the game. However, if you only hate it because it's suddenly "cool" to like Batman, then your hatred is completely unjustified.

• Thumbs Up 6

I played through Arkham City, and while the amount of things to do and areas to explore is enormous, I can't say the core gameplay impressed me that much. The fighting mechanics seemed very dull, requiring more rapid button pressing than skill. The stealth moments are cool, I guess, but nothing really changed in the various situations besides the enemies having more weapons or better armor. Pretty good story though. Some people didn't like the ending, but I thought it was pretty awesome.

Overall, good game? Yes. Great game? Mmmm I suppose. Deserving of countless 10/10 scores and GotY awards? In my opinion, no. I'd probably give it an 8.5.

My mind immediately jumped to SA2, but I don't hate that game so....

You know what, im gonna go with SA2 anyway. WHY do people love this game so much it's again? It's barely a Sonic game, just a game with throwaway sholverware gimmicks with some Sonic gameplay on the side. You spend more time Shooting, Treasure Hunting, and Chao Gardening than you do playing a fucking Sonic game, That's it's biggest fault to me. Not to mention that the story is one of the most overrated ever and certain people still, TO THIS DAY, complain whenever a Sonic game doesn't have the exact same tone and "epic" plot. Fuck this.

Edited by Grooseinator032
  • Thumbs Up 1

Skyrim!!! I don't see why everybody loves that game so much, I find it incredibly boring

My mind immediately jumped to SA2, but I don't hate that game so....

You know what, im gonna go with SA2 anyway. WHY do people love this game so much it's again? It's barely a Sonic game, just a game with throwaway sholverware gimmicks with some Sonic gameplay on the side. You spend more time Shooting, Treasure Hunting, and Chao Gardening than you do play a fucking Sonic game, That's it's biggest fault to me. Not to mention that the story is one of the most overrated ever and certain people still, TO THIS DAY, complain whenever a Sonic game doesn't have the exact same tone and "epic" plot. Fuck this.

I actually really agree with you, I don't hate SA2 but I find it to be VERY overrated. I actually think games like SA1,Unleashed and Colors are better but thats just my opinion :-T

The Legend Of Zelda

0cDar.png

"It’s dangerous to go alone take this"

...Yeah now what?

I never got anywhere in the game because it doesn’t tell you anything, not even a single clue, if it does tell you anything they hide it in a very damn hard place to find information.

I just keep killing random enemies until I get bored.

I also deslike this type of gameplay and the music is awful in my opinion.

Edited by Tmsp
  • Thumbs Up 3

UNCHARTED 3: DRAKES DECEPTION.

Good god. I hate this game with a passion. The first few scenes were promising; I liked the flashback to when Drake met Sully. But by the time I reached Syria, I really can't give any compliments to the game after that- okay fine, it was gorgeous, but it's not any more stunning than Uncharted 2. And some of the action sequences were even recycled from UC2, like the truck convoy. But where to begin, first of all, I am sick of Nathan Drake. At first he seemed like a cool guy, but in this game, he's one of the biggest Gary Stu's I've ever seen. Nothing relatable. And this translates to how he's treated in terms of gameplay; Naughty Dog severely overestimates human stamina. There is no way a person can go days without food or water and still be able to hold his own in a gunfight. Just no way. The rest of the cast isn't too good either. The few that ARE actually interesting just disappear about a third of the way into the game in favor of awkwardly brining Elena back into the story, and the villain is completely bland and never really makes her intentions clear- she's just kind of a bitch. Furthermore, the story is just completely schizo- it has absolutely no focus or sense of progress- several chapters and scenes are just wild goose chases, irrelevant, have no impact, or just overall disconnected. Worst of all is the level and enemy design, but if you want my opinion on that, check my Day 7 post in the 30 days thread.

Mario Kart 64 is one game which has received almost universal adulation, but which I find to be absolutely atrocious. Perhaps it is because I am used to playing more advanced, faster-paced racing titles, or that I have played MK: Double Dash and MK: Wii, both of which were released later and were of a quicker pace, but I find the game (MK64) to be so sluggishly paced as to be unplayable. The speed at which the player moves is so slow, and feels like his (or her) kart is trapped in a quagmire, to such a degree that every time I have endeavoured to play it, I have given up in sheer frustration.

I recently replayed MK64 and I have to agree on how sluggish and awkward it feels now (FUCK. TOAD'S. TURNPIKE.), but I will say it has the most hilarious animations and sound effects in the series.

Edited by SuperStingray

Uh....I dunno, Sonic Advance 3? I could never really get into that game ever. Thought the level design was annoying and the fact that they have no real traction is sort of annoying as well. I'm not super fond of the Team mechanic as well.

...people love Battle Revolution? Those poor souls...fifty dollars I'll never see again.

As a former fan of the series I can tell you it's quite loved just because it has an online mode and looks nice, of course if you have the game you already know what the problem is with battling online...and pokemon fans for the most part adore anything that's Pokemon, just slap its name on a game and it sells, everyone knows this of course...and such is the case with their random crossover RPG with another series nobody knows shit about that they announced recently.

Kirby's Epic Yarn:

Let me start off by saying... I LOVE the Kirby Franchise. I can always pick up a Kirby game when I'm bored and play around in various levels with all sorts of abilites.

But this game... I'm sorry but this has to be one of the most boring games I have ever played. First off, It felt less like a Kirby game than Kirby 64 (Which I liked, personally.) the enviroments of the game's levels, does not at all feel Kirby-like. Yes, I know that Kirby's in a Different world, but still, I didn't like the level design of this game.

Secondly, the gameplay is just horribly dull. This is the only time I recall where I forced myself to play this game. And of course the Lack of abilities... Don't you dare bring up the transformations as abilities. If I can't dink around in levels I've already visited with those transformations, then really don't see the appeal.

And also, the Game's difficulty is relied on collecting all of the coins in the level. Collecting things to get 100 percent =/= fun.

I've pretty much said everything I wanted about this game. While I did like the character, Prince Fluff, thought the boss fights were pretty fun, and the soundtrack is pretty good, This game has to be my least favorite Kirby Game of all the Kirby Games.

Edited by the ORIGINAL recolor
  • Thumbs Up 3

Kirby's Epic Yarn:

Let me start off by saying... I LOVE the Kirby Franchise. I can always pick up a Kirby game when I'm bored and play around in various levels with all sorts of abilites.

But this game... I'm sorry but this has to be one of the most boring games I have ever played. First off, It felt less like a Kirby game than Kirby 64 (Which I liked, personally.) the enviroments of the game's levels, does not at all feel Kirby-like. Yes, I know that Kirby's in a Different world, but still, I didn't like the level design of this game.

Secondly, the gameplay is just horribly dull. This is the only time I recall where I forced myself to play this game. And of course the Lack of abilities... Don't you dare bring up the transformations as abilities. If I can't dink around in levels I've already visited with those transformations, then really don't see the appeal.

And also, the Game's difficulty is relied on collecting all of the coins in the level. Collecting things to get 100 percent =/= fun.

I've pretty much said everything I wanted about this game. While I did like the character, Prince Fluff, thought the boss fights were pretty fun, and the soundtrack is pretty good, This game has to be my least favorite Kirby Game of all the Kirby Games.

• Thumbs Up 3

Donkey Kong Country Returns was also disappointing. The game I gotta admit was some pretty crazy platforming at times, but they took out alot of features like the underwater levels, most of the animal buddies(Except for Rambi the Rhino, the most boring out of all of them), and most of all they got rid of King K. Rool and the Kremlins and replaced one of the coolest enemies of all time with retarded tikis that made stupid sounds. Plus shared lives in co-op kinda ruined the experience, turning the game from something classic and memorable to aggravating trial and error since most of the time we'd run out of all our lives before we even reached the first check point.

Call of d- fuck it no, I think its a decent series... and it's fun to jump on the hate wagon :P

Bayonetta, I bought it on PS3 first, didn't care for it. Then bought it again for the xbox 360, and I still cannot get into this game. I don't know what it is about it, maybe I'm just not focused while playing the game but its boring to me. I think beat'em up or whatever style gameplay you want to call it is not for me. It felt too repetitive and I don't really like Bayonetta the character... /bitching.

• Thumbs Up 1

I played through Arkham City, and while the amount of things to do and areas to explore is enormous, I can't say the core gameplay impressed me that much. The fighting mechanics seemed very dull, requiring more rapid button pressing than skill. The stealth moments are cool, I guess, but nothing really changed in the various situations besides the enemies having more weapons or better armor. Pretty good story though. Some people didn't like the ending, but I thought it was pretty awesome.

Overall, good game? Yes. Great game? Mmmm I suppose. Deserving of countless 10/10 scores and GotY awards? In my opinion, no. I'd probably give it an 8.5.

I'm sorry, but you button mash all you want in Arkham City and think you are the shit. Try implementing those gadgets and see how much button mash it is. Take that skill to the Riddler challenge area and see how great you are. It takes skill, timing, and shit ton of knowing what does what and who to do it to. It is not button mash. If you are button mashing, you are not trying to be great at the game and are probably getting hit a lot. And this is coming from someone who has all the challenge stages and the characters.

Edited by turbojet
  • Thumbs Up 7

Batman Arkham Asylum and Batman Arkham City. oh shit controversial

"omg these gaems r so fkin awsom batman is so fking cool omg" Seriously, shut the fuck up about these games. @_@ Yes, they're good for a licensed superhero game, but still. I honestly think a lot of people are just jumping on the Batman bandwagon here, acting like Batman is the greatest shit ever. Yes, he's awesome, but as of recently, I can't help but think less of Batman. To me, it has a similar effect to "lol fuk yea ninjas" or "CHUCK NORRIS!!!!", and other stupid shit 12-year-olds like to constantly mention.

Batman Arkham Asylum is, like I said, great for a licensed game, but it isn't THAT amazing. Also, Batman Arkham City. Yahoo gives it a 6/5? Seriously? No. Fuck you. /rage

Not once in this post did you say what you dislike about the games. You absolutely radiate with "I hate it because it's popular."

• Thumbs Up 3

I downloaded the game and played it three-four years ago. I just found it OK. I found Diddy Kong Racing much more fun than MK64, regardless how many similarities there are.

Anyway, this thread doesn't seem much as "games many people love that you hate" than it is "games many people love that you find overrated as ****." But that may be just me.

Kirby's Epic Yarn:

But this game... I'm sorry but this has to be one of the most boring games I have ever played...

Yeah, I don't get it either. It takes a lot for me not to be able to muster up the will to finish such an easy game. It might be more fun on co-op, but then so is every platformer that includes it with the possible exception of NSMB Wii.

The co-op is absoloutely the shit. Mollfie and I had a right blast with it, though I've never played it since finishing. We really quite bonded and got attached to our progress through the game though.

Edited by JezMM

Gonna chime in another vote for Donkey Kong Country Returns. It looks like an amazing game, it sounds like an amazing game and it has all the makings of an amazing game. Except one thing. One HUGE thing that utterly destroys it. And that thing is this:

goldeneye-wii-tips.jpg

God damn I've never hated the Wii controller so much. It has a tendency of getting in the way of fun for a lot of games, but with DKCR it really takes the biscuit. I'll happily admit that it's not just the controller's fault that almost everything it mapped to waggle, though that's not the point. The very layout of the controller makes DKCR unenjoyable. I can't bring myself to play it, and I only bought it the other day. Massive disappointment. It's an odd ball. I don't exactly hate DKCR, it's simply that I cannot stand it. If the controller didn't suck so bad then I'm sure it'd be one of my favourite games of the generation.

Edited by Blue Blood

S3k_title.png

When I got the Mega collection for the PS2; I was ecstatic to play all the classic games. Little did I know that there was a game called Sonic 3 and Knuckles and it came after Sonic 3 fro what I heard. So I played all the games to try to unlock this one and when I finally did. I was happy, because I thought this was a game I missed while playing the classics. When I finally got to play is, my hopes went down the tubes. It was only Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles put together, but still as boring as Sonic 3 was. It has horrible level designs and horrible stages as well (Sandopolis, great music, horrible stage). Needless to say, I hate this game.

Sonic_Adventure.PNG

Sonic Adventure... oh my god, this was the worst game I have played. I hate it because of the gameplay. It was almost unplayable to me and some gameplay ideas that the game had didn't fit into Sonic at all. I mean, I hate having to hunt for peices of the master emerald, and I also hated it's fishing game. Oh and if you wanted to get the true story, you HAD to do the alternate gameplay. The only gameplay that was remotely fun was Sonic's. And that was pretty much shit as well.

Gonna chime in another vote for Donkey Kong Country Returns. It looks like an amazing game, it sounds like an amazing game and it has all the makings of an amazing game. Except one thing. One HUGE thing that utterly destroys it. And that thing is this:

goldeneye-wii-tips.jpg

God damn I've never hated the Wii controller so much. It has a tendency of getting in the way of fun for a lot of games, but with DKCR it really takes the biscuit. I'll happily admit that it's not just the controller's fault that almost everything it mapped to waggle, though that's not the point. The very layout of the controller makes DKCR unenjoyable. I can't bring myself to play it, and I only bought it the other day. Massive disappointment. It's an odd ball. I don't exactly hate DKCR, it's simply that I cannot stand it. If the controller didn't suck so bad then I'm sure it'd be one of my favourite games of the generation.

The fact that they made you repeatedly shake it while attempting to do platforming at the same time with a stampeding Rambi didnt help it at all either.

...You're complaining about Cash Cash as a reason Gens sucks, where the singer is in one song, but like Colors, where the credits forces you to listen to two of their songs in full?

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd say Call of Duty but, that's so damn easy since everyone seems to hate it anyway. I'll go with Grand Theft Auto instead. I don't really know what it is but, I just don't have fun with Grand Theft Auto. I can't really explain why this is, it's so damn bizarre. Perhaps I just don't see what's so great about it. Love the crap out Red Dead Redemption, though.