Awoo.

Best and worst game from each era

Silver*

You trolling? D: D:

I mean, I know everyone has their own opinions and all but daaaaamn, if you're being serious that's a pretty... 'unique' one so to speak. blink.png You've posted what I imagine the majority of people would say the exact opposite of. Not that I'm attacking you for having an opinion by any means, but you've certainly got some unusual choices there, to say the least. ohmy.png

I am being serious; In fact; I'll explain why I like/hate what I do.

Classic -

Best: Sonic Chaos - I thought the game was easy and alot of fun. The music was something that kept me interested to the point that I actually looked up and downloaded the soundtrack. I hated the special stages yeah, but the regular stages were good. But yeah, this is a game I finished easily and found myself finishing about 5 times n my mega collection.

Worst: Sonic CD - I hated this game because for one, it was very hard for me to get into, plus it was confusing. Like 5 minutes I'd past a sign and I'd be in the future or past. I didn't really like the level designs and I didn't like most of the soundtrack either save for a few songs. So I found the game to be boring.

Adventure -

Best: Shadow the Hedgehog - because this game mixes alt gameplay and platforming mixed with speed and has really good replay value. I find myself playing the game all the time because of it. And it's great for someone who is a fan of shooting games.

Worst: Sonic Adventure 1/DX - it had gameplay that didn't belong and was forced. If you want the true story, you HAD to fish or treasure hunt.

Modern -

Best: Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 - Sonic 06, what to say. This game has become my favorite because I found it to be unique and fun. I loved the mach stages and the missions that kept me coming back for more. The soundtrack was amazing and the levels were awesome. I also loved how you can save up rings to buy gems to give you skills. Plus my favorite character was introduced in that game, it couldn't get any better for me.

Worst: I havent came across a bad modern game yet; - Generations was the only game that was a eh game. I don't think it's bad but it's not great. I'm only finishing the game for achievement purposes. But I did like the skills and the interchangeable music, plus classic Sonic and the homing attack. Other than that, I liked most of the 3-D games saved for the ones I never played.

Classic

Best=Sonic CD

Worst=Sonic 2

Adventure

Best=Adventure 1

Worst=Sonic Battle

Modern

Best=Sonic Unleashed

Worst=Sonic(06)

Best Classic: Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Best Dreamcast: Sonic Adventure

Best Modern: Sonic Generations

Worst Classic: Sonic Blast

Worst Dreamcast: Sonic Adventure 2

Worst Modern: Sonic The Hedgehog

Overall Best: Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Overall Worst: Sonic Adventure 2

Worst: Sonic Adventure 1/DX - it had gameplay that didn't belong and was forced. you want the true story, you HAD to fish or treasure hunt.

SA1's alternate playstyles were not forced, if you didn't want to, you could just play the Sonic stages and leave it at that, yes, you wouldn't get to fight Perfect Chaos, but it was a shit boss anyway. Whereas even if you just want to play the speed stages in SA2, you HAVE to play the shitty shooting/hunting stages.

Edited by Wearied Flames

I'm not too into the classics to be honest. I've played up until the Labyrinth Zone boss for Sonic 1, I've hardly touched Sonic 2, and I absolutely loved Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Best Classic Era: Sonic 3 and Knuckles

Worst Classic Era: Sonic 1. EDIT: Props to this game for inventing Sonic though.

Best Dreamcast Era: Sonic Adventure 2 (Battle), Runner up: (Sonic Adventure or Shadow the Hedgehog) Honestly, I can look through the hunting and shooting stages. I found most of them to be pretty enjoyable (except Security Hall and Mad Space). Favorite hunting stage would go to Meteor Herd.

Worst Dreamcast Era: Eh..I liked all of the Dreamcast Era games, but the one that's at the bottom of the list would be Sonic Heroes. This is pretty much of it being too repetitive, and those giant metal badniks towards the end, these were infuriating to defeat with Team Dark and Team Sonic.

Best Modern Era: Sonic Generations, no contest. While I still don't like the fact that Modern has 2D sections...especially in a game with Classic Sonic who's all 2D, I found it to be very enjoyable. (Runner up: Sonic Unleashed X360/PS3)

Worst Modern Era: This would be a tie between Sonic 2006 and Sonic Colors. Hear me out here! I disliked both of these games not for the glitches or story, I disliked them because found them both rather boring to play, wasn't too fond of Silver (gameplay, not character) or the Wisps either.

Best Overall: Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Generations. (Runner up: Sonic 3 and Knuckles)

Worst Overall: Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) and Sonic Colors.

Edited by thebluehedgehog

You trolling? D: D:

I mean, I know everyone has their own opinions and all but daaaaamn, if you're being serious that's a pretty... 'unique' one so to speak. blink.png You've posted what I imagine the majority of people would say the exact opposite of. Not that I'm attacking you for having an opinion by any means, but you've certainly got some unusual choices there, to say the least. ohmy.png

Even if you aren't bashing her...I see a lot of that in these forums, opinion intolerance is one of this fanbase's most known issues...whenever I state Sonic Colors sucks and would rather play Shadow the hedgehog or 06 (not saying they're great either, they just needed to be completed) someone gets pissed, and they shouldn't...why? because it's my opinion, it doesn't really matter, and it doesn't really change the fact people hate certain games, what's done is done...and no matter the amount of flaming or intolerance, nothing will change...

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest, I'd far rather play the crap hunting or fishing gameplay in the Adventures to get to Last Story than have to play every final stage twice to get every ending that practically only differs in a few lines of dialogue and Westopolis god knows how many times to get to Shadow's real final boss.

Edited by Ekaje
  • Thumbs Up 1

Best Classic Game: Sonic CD. The time travel mechanic added a lot of depth to the series, and it's something I'd like to see revisited.

Worst Classic Game: IDK that there's any game that could be considered "bad", but the worst one is Sonic 1. Not a bad game, but not as developed as its sequels.

Best Dreamcast Game: Sonic Heroes. It pretty much wins by default, though, being grouped with the likes of the Adventure games and ShTH. At any rate, the team mechanic was good because it gave you several gameplay style options (speedrunning in Speed formation, platforming in Flight formation, combat in Power formation).

Worst Dreamcast Game: Both of the Adventure games deserve this, but SA2 is clearly the worse of the two. It's bad enough that there's unfitting alternate gameplay to begin with. The fact that it takes up over 2/3 of the game and that the playstyles alternate earns its spot as one of the worst Sonic games of all time.

Best Modern Game: Sonic Generations, this one's a no brainer. The Modern gameplay style is the best thing to happen to the series since the Classic Era, balancing speed and platforming. Admittedly, it's not perfect, but it's a few steps in the right direction.

Worst Modern Game: Black Knight. OMG this game is almost unplayable. The swordplay is terrible both in theory (why would Sonic, a character known for his speed, wield a heavy clunking sword? It contradicts the point of the series) and in practice (the Wii's motion controls are noticeably off, making it hard to get the timing right.) I literally couldn't stomach more than a day of it.

Classic Era

Best: Sonic 3 & Knuckles

I always enjoyed this game. First of all, it introduced my favorite Sonic character at his best. It improved over the first two games and its length beats that of some of the Sonic games we get today actually. (Well, for me at least. The stages are challenging for me always.) I loved the whole package, and wish Sega would take more cues from this game.

Worst: Sonic Labyrinth

Just wasn't all that fun.

Dreamcast Era

Best: Sonic Adventure 2 Battle

Nothing I can say here is anything I haven't said before. I'm one of those rare people that was able to have fun with all three gameplay styles. Sure, I prefer one over the other two, but it's still a blast for me to play through. Not to mention epic story and countless amounts of content to get through after completing the main campaign, all Sonic games should strive for this much replay value.

Worst: Sonic Advance

I felt like this was something that could've been made back when they made the first Sonic. The level design just wasn't all that fun to me and the controls for some reason felt clunky to me. I felt like it went backwards, though some people seem to prefer playing that way.

Modern Era

Best: Sonic Generations

This is the game that showed me how fun the modern gameplay can actually be. From great stage selections despite recurring themes, great music, and great gameplay, this game just does everything right. I'm still upset over the length of this game, but it's still just a great nostalgic trip and the gameplay in it is just plain Sonic goodness.

Worst: Sonic & the Black Knight

Really by far one of the most disappointing purchases I've ever had the pleasure to make. This game is short, with absolutely NO fun to be had in it. Even with the great music, graphics, and storyline, this game just absolutely falls in the gameplay department and I despised every minute I played it. Not to mention it's very short as well. I look at some of the posts in here and I question how people can think this is better than Secret Rings, which I actually had alot of fun with.

Best Classic Era:

Sonic the Hedgehog CD. I would've said Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but Taxman's re-enhancement completely reintroduced me to this, after not playing it for nearly a year. With that, I can come to my senses and say this is just about the best classic Sonic game there is. Intricately structured level design with delightfully hard special stages. The amount of replayability the time-travel gimmick introduces. The amazing aesthetic, FMVs, and soundtracks (for both regions). And for all the little physics things that bothered me about this game before, they were fixed with the new Spin Dash and S2/3K physics additions+improvements in the 2011 remake. Can't find a single thing I dislike about this game.

((Runner ups: Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic 2, Sonic R and Saturn 3D Blast. Yes. I *did* just say Saturn 3DB and R.))

Worst Classic Era: G-Sonic / Sonic Blast. The clunkiest and most haphazardly constructed portable Sonic game of the 90s, if not of any portable game in the 90s. Everything about the game was just.. bizzare. And not the good kind of bizzare like most Segasonic 90s stuff... just bizzare.

((Runner ups: All the Game Gear / Master System games minus Sonic 1, really. They all blew pretty bad.))

---

Best Adventure Era: Sonic Adventure. The story and the soundtrack still are great to this date, and the overall feel and art-style of the game oozes charm out of it's pores, despite all of the aforementioned categories have aged rapidly over time. However, it helps that at least on the DC version, the game was a solid and fun experience for 4/6 of the characters (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and E-102y), that kept a solid base of the traditional Sonic gameplay while also taking its own turns with it. Too bad Amy and Big played so bad, they had potential to be much better.. as did the script..

((Runner ups: Sonic Advance 1, Sonic Pocket Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, and Rush. All five of these games were pretty great in their own rights, but I had to choose the one that left the most impact on me.))

Worst Adventure Era: Shadow the Hedgehog. An abomination on several levels, notoriously bad and considered so-bad-it's-memeworthy. ShTH is absolutely terrible; gameplay is slippery and badly planned out, music (while good on it's own) does *NOT* fit a Sonic game, everything was just darker than SA2 but with the plastic sheen of Heroes, and the story/script.. ugh, just...

((Runner ups: Sonic Advance 3 came *REALLY* close with ShTH but lost due to ShTH being.. ShTH. Also, Heroes and Battle, tagging right behind.))

---

Best Modern Era: Sonic Unleashed HD. I can't really describe why I have nostalgic feelings for a game that just came out in 2008. It's a beautiful thing, really. The rebirth of Sonic's gameplay, an expansion on Sonic's world and the people within it, a robust soundtrack, the best characterization on Sonic and Eggman I've seen in ages, the soft and Pixar-y aesthetic and worldly atmosphere.. *sigh* It's so good. Even the lowest big part of the game (the Werehog) was fun when you got his stuff leveled up.. UnleashedHD was just a triumph to me. I don't know. It just was.

((Runner ups: Sonic Generations HD, while absolutely incredible, just didn't pack as much punch as UnleashedHD, in content nor flavor (although featured superior gameplay on both fronts). Secret Rings and Rush Adventure were also a blast to me, as well.))

Worst Modern Era: Sonic 2006 / NextGen / THE HEDGEHOG. Does this one even need an explanation? Just copy-paste what I said about ShTH and multiply ad infinitum. Please, spare me the effort in trying to type up something for this.. thing. (Realizing the game's beginnings and potential from the TGS 2004/05 showings only further adds salt to the wound.)

((Runner ups: Sonic 4: Episode 1 was a close second. Riders: Zero Gravity and the Rivals games were also near about pushing it behind S4:E1.))

---

Overall Best: Sonic the Hedgehog CD. Was a toughie with it being pitted with SA1 & SUHD, but it came out in the end as the best, for obvious reasons. Most attractive game, most replayable, most intricate.

Overall Worst: Sonic 2006. Once again, I need not explain myself. tongue.png

Edited by Azukara

• 5 weeks later...

Best and Worst Sonic games huh?

Let's see.....

Classic

Best: Sonic 3

Worst: Sonic 2

Dreamcast

Best: Sonic Adventure 2

Worst Sonic Heroes

Modern

Best: Sonic Unleashed

Worst: Sonic and The Secret Rings

Edited by TNT

Mega Drive Era:

Best: Difficult choice. Either Sonic CD or Sonic 2

Worst: Between Flickies Island and Sonic Blast

Dreamcast Era

Best: SA2

Worst: Sonic Rush (Hated the music, ugly 3d models)

Modern:

Best: Sonic Generations

Worst: Sonic 2006. Bought it second hand to try it out and I returned it 2 hours later.

7nTnr.png?1309330974

Edited by Chaos Fusion

Even if you aren't bashing her...I see a lot of that in these forums, opinion intolerance is one of this fanbase's most known issues...whenever I state Sonic Colors sucks and would rather play Shadow the hedgehog or 06 (not saying they're great either, they just needed to be completed) someone gets pissed, and they shouldn't...why? because it's my opinion, it doesn't really matter, and it doesn't really change the fact people hate certain games, what's done is done...and no matter the amount of flaming or intolerance, nothing will change...

Ah so true, although Colors wasn't "terrible" just not as great as I was expecting, Unleashed was way more fun although it had several trolls

Here is mine:

Classic:

Best - Sonic R. In fact I would say it is the best Sonic game ever. I just loved everything about it.

Worst - I can't decide between Sonic Drift and Labyrinth. Two totally shit games.

Dreamcast:

Best - Sonic Adventure 2/Battle. Trully amazing game.

Worst - Shadow The Hedgehog. What a trully awful pile of shit that game was. But what else woud you expect when you listen to a girl who wanted guns in a Sonic game. Everything about the game was shit. Also I hated how there was no clear way in knowing who you were helping.

Modern

Best - Sonic Colours. What an a amazing little game that was. Everything about it was brilliant. Why cant the HD consoles get great games like that insted of the crap that we get.

Worst - Genercraptions er I mean Generations. This has to be hands down the worst Sonic ame EVER! Everything about it stank worse than a Skunk covered in shit. The level choices were shit, The soundtrack was the worst I have ever herd in my life, The controlls stank, The story was the worst I have ever herd in gaming and the boss battles were trully pathetic (the Time Eater has to be the worst boss battle ever) and it was as short as hell. So glad when I traded in that utter shit of a game.

I don't get it. Does Iizuka and Sonic Team hate the HD consoles or something? For the HD consoles they give us three trully awful piles of shit (two of which have been de-listed by SEGA) but for the Wii they got the amazing Colours! WTH!

Note to Sonic Team how about giving us games with some length next time. And not games you can do in 4 hours.

Guess it's my turn and I'll only explain the ones that I believe need explaining.

Best Classic game - Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Worst Classic game - Sonic 2...

Why I choose Sonic 2? I would have chosen sonic 1 easily and not because of the reason you would expect me to say. The main reason I choose S2 is because there were a chunk of the levels that pissed me off to the extreme. The special levels were a bitch to play if you played it with Sonic and Tails (Tails being AI) and then those were some of the dumbest bosses of the classic era. Where S2 fails, S3&K ascends. And I mean in the best way possible.

Best Dreamcast era game - Sonic Adventure 2 Battle

Worst Dreamcast era game - Shadow the Hedgehog....

I really wanted to love this game. I really did. Hell when Sega asked their fans what the next sonic game should be based on, I voted SHTH more times that most people expected. Hell I think I'm majority of the reason the game came to be. But when it was released and I ran through some of the worst levels in Sonic series history, I knew there was no way to redeem this game. And it also did not help that visually the game looked like a darker version of Sonic Heroes my 2nd least favorite game of the series.

Best Modern era game - Sonic Unleashed/Sonic Generations

Worst Modern era game - Sonic The Hedgehog 2006

I fell that I should explain my choice for best modern game. SU and SG were fantastic visually and also in the sound division. SU to me was the best looking game of 2008 and still stands against many games since then. Sonic's speed was unstoppable. I mean actually being able to move at 300mpg (give or take) in glorious HD was a dream come true for any sonic fan. Sonic's gameplay was so fantastic to me that I was easily able to overlook the werehog's medicore gameplay. SG on the other hand, it looked equally as good as SU and in some areas it surpassed it. The game may have not moved as fast as SU but it did it's job. And the nostalgia boner that the game gave me was so epic (I can't believe I actually said that) that it almost made me ignore Assassin's Creed Revelations, one game that I really wanted to play since I heard it was coming.

Edited by Eternal X

The hand held games aren't exactly spinoffs. So you should have included game gear and Master System games on that list.

I vote Sonic the Hedgehog 8-bit as best classic. It's genuinely challenging with most of the emphasis on platforming.

I vote Sonic the Hedgehog 2 8-bit as the worst classic. It's Sonic 1 8-bit with unfair level design.

I vote a Tie on best of the Dreamcast era, between Adventure 1 for being the closest thing to classic Sonic in 3D, and Sonic Advance 1 for being pretty much the TRUE Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

Vote Sonic Rush as worst Dreamcast era game for being the first boost-a-thon game, having line-rider style level design, awful techno music, and bottomless pits everywhere. Also lazy and boring story telling method that ultimately slowed down the game and didn't add to it.

I vote Generations 3DS as best modern game, as it has nearly perfect classic gameplay, and improves greatly on the Rush games visually, and in terms of level design and controls...No annoying medals, or red rings to collect either. Keep in mind I never played the console version.

I vote Black Knight as worst modern game.. Just couldn't finish it.

Best Classic: S3&K. It took everything that was good about its predecessors and improved upon it. It also added fun characters and a good story.

Worst Classic: Many of the Game Gear games were just awful to play.

Best 'Dreamcast': Sonic Adventure 2. It just beats SA thanks to its replayability factor. It's also the last time a Sonic game lived up to the hype for me. I don't feel that story and its cast have been utilised well since.

Worst 'Dreamcast': Heroes/Shadow. Both share many gripes, the first being the awful controls. I list both since, while Shadow was more ridiculous, Heroes was more repetitive. It was the first main series Sonic game to ever disappoint me, and the first that I had no desire to pick up again after completion. Shadow meanwhile really f**ked up one of my favourite characters. Heroes did the same with Metal Sonic to an extent. I found the whole Metal Sonic Kai design goofy from the start and the whole MotW thing was wank.

Best Modern: Sonic Generations. This was an easy choice, as I have more glaring problems with the other games, thanks to Werehogs, dull 2D platforming and the general mess that is..

Worst Modern: Sonic '06. I'm not going to break this trend. Just bad in so many ways. It was the first main series game I didn't bother to complete (until years later).

Edited by Lungo

Best 'Classic': Sonic CD and Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Worst 'Classic': Every Game Gear Sonic game except Sonic 1 8-Bit, Sonic Chaos / Sonic & Tails, and Sonic Tripple Trouble / Sonic & Tails 2.

Best 'Dreamcast': Sonic Adventure DX: Directors Cut and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (Never played the original Dreamcast versions).

Worst 'Dreamcast': Sonic Heroes and Shadow The Hedgehog

Best 'Modern': Sonic Unleashed / Sonic World Adventure (HD) and Sonic Generations (HD)

Worst 'Modern': Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.

EDIT: I forgot about Chronicles, so I changed my stance on Worst Modern title.

Edited by Spider-Man Noir

Since it's the new year how bout a best/worst game from each era thingy tongue.png and I posted this first on the SEGA forums but I thought here it might have some discussion value as well;

Classic -

Best: Sonic Chaos

Worst: Sonic CD

Adventure -

Best: Shadow the Hedgehog

Worst: Sonic Adventure 1/DX

Modern -

Best: Sonic the Hedgehog 2006

Worst: I havent came across a bad modern game yet;

annnd discuss

Ha Nice Selection there

Ha Nice Selection there

I'm kinda surprised no one attacked him about his choices. Because it's obvious that he's trolling.

I'm kinda surprised no one attacked him about his choices. Because it's obvious that he's trolling.

No she's said before that she's serious.

Edited by thebluehedgehog

No he's said before that he's serious.

But SHTH being better than all of the dreamcast era? I'm not bashing him but it's just weird.

Best Classic era game: Sonic 3 & Knuckles

My favorite Sonic game, and favorite video game of all time. They just did everything so perfectly with this game (or games, if you prefer). Level design that's beyond amazing, an awesome soundtrack, beautiful and highly-memorable levels... I just can't say enough good things about Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It's a pretty good game.

Worst Classic era game: Sonic Jam (Game.com)

Seriously, have you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbD2SP37s3o?

Best Dreamcast era game: Sonic Adventure

While it may not have aged as well as other games, I still have lots of love for the first Sonic Adventure. The graphics were amazing for its time, and I absolutely loved the intertwining storylines that all came together. The music is excellent (definitely one of my top favorite soundtracks), and when the game's not glitching up the controls are actually pretty good (as far as moving Sonic and co. around, and spindashing with just the press of a button). Plus, Speed Highway. I freakin' love Speed Highway.

Worst Dreamcast era game: Shadow the Hedgehog

I hate just about everything about this game (except for part of the soundtrack). I loved Shadow in SA2, but this game alone made my opinion of him go way down. The gun mechanics are crap, the level design is horrible, and I won't even go into the story except for saying that I think it's the absolute worst in the series. But I'll be damned if Digital Circuit isn't an extremely awesome and catchy song.

Best Modern era game: Sonic Generations (360/PS3/PC)

Sonic Team really outdid themselves with Sonic Generations. They took everything that was good about Sonic and brought it all together to make of the best Sonic games ever, and one hell of an anniversary gift to the fans. The bosses could be better, but other than that the only real flaw I find in this game is that it feels way too short. But hey, quality over quantity.

Worst Modern era game: Sonic 06

I don't think this one needs explaining.

Classic era:

Best: Probably Sonic CD or Sonic 2 since I didn't play any other. Sonic 2 was my first sonic game and dang it was good (I hated with all of my body water zones tho)

Worst: Sonic Labyrinth, I didn't even understand the point of this game.

Adventure era:

Best: Sonic Rush, pretty much made me come back to the Sonic serie, also my first game on the DS. Dat speed, dat Blaze and oh god dem musics <3.

Worst: Tough one, I really don't know since I didn't play many of them and pretty much enjoyed them all, well I guess advance 2 was my least liked but doesn't mean I hate it.

Modern era:

Best: Sonic Rush Adventure, which is basically Sonic Rush with better gameplay, more music, more Blaze and pretty fun sailing minigames, Generations would have taken the spot if it wasn't for my computer not being able to have more than 15fps while playing it and for the huge lack of plot.

Worst: Now it would be pretty unfair to place Sonic 06 here since I never played it, nor even seen a let's play of it, so it's going to be Sonic Chronicles, god I hated this one.

Edited by Boodendorf