Awoo.

Should Taxman take on Knuckles Chaotix?

VO.SUPER

Never played it but I've been wanting to.

Also, S4E2 will have Tails, Tails is playable in the CD remake.

S4E3 will likely have Knuckles, Knuckles' Chaotix should be remade with the retro engine.

Perfect sense.

I think Knuckles Chaotix should get a re-release, doesn't need to be Christian Whitehead, but I'd like to see this game again.

Yes do it. This game is not A+ material like Sonic CD, but there is fun in its quirkiness. This game has:

- Some great classic tunes, unappreciated.

- Colors oh god the colors.

- A special stage that has yet to be surpassed.

The game's controls also suffered if you played it on the original 32X. Placing the grab/throw partner button next to the jump button made it extremely hard to perform a jump-throw, which is a main technique. It could benefit from a shoulder button. Also the damn partner recall is hardly useful and only causes headaches.

I also have a theory that this game was considered too short by Sega and was padded to be rushed out. Take a look at the levels:

Botanic Base 1-5.

Marina Madness 1-5.

Speed Slider 1-5.

Amazing Arena 1-5.

Techno Tower 1-5.

If you think this game is boring, it might be because the first two or three hours are a snooze. The entire first two acts of each level are absolutely barren. Hardly any enemies or hazards. Gimmicks are mostly absent. I used to think this was to complement the rubber-band learning curve, but why would you make a game so empty? The game immediately picks up at the third act, where badniks, gimmicks, and actual difficulty pick up. What kind of Sonic game has five acts per level? A game built by morons maybe but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt because pieces of this game are brilliant. My point is that the game would actually be more enjoyable if it started on act three of each zone. The other two are filler.

To this end it wouldn't hurt to add an extra full level or two to fill the gap if the remake needs a signature feature. The demo/practice stage is already there if they wanna expand on that one. Another room in the overworld wouldn't hurt either for save functions and options. Did anyone else notice these things about Chaotix?

Edited by Sufganiyah

If Taxman could work with Sega again, this time developing a modern graphics engine that works over the top of the Retro Engine's physics component, so we can have awesome physics and current gen visuals, then I would be freaking amazed. Fuck Chaotix haha.

I would love a port of this game, maybe not the Uber-Taxman treatment but a good port, not that Backbone stuff. I ADORE this game's musical style, and the gameplay was flawed, but pretty fun.

>Implying the presence of music cements a game's presence in the canon timeline

If that's the case, then Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball is canon as well. In addition to Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island, seeing as Sonic Adventure and Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I both used remastered tracks from that game.

Iizuka flat-out stated that the events of Chaotix were not canon, and the characters of Espio, Charmy, and Vector made their first canonical appearance in Sonic Heroes.

There was such an unbelievably minuscule amount of thought put into the overall writing process of Generations that I can hardly take a single line of dialogue from a non-story cutscene as canonical evidence towards anything in the series, especially when that one said line of dialogue contradicts the entirety of five entire games. It even contradicts Sonic the Hedgehog, the game in which you claim it further proves canon, in the fact that Solaris' removal from the timeline completely wiped everybody's memory of the events that transpired in said timeline. Sure, a little bit a deja-vu has occurred on quite a few people's ends, but to remember exact locations, even down to their very name is way out of the question.

If Blaze had any recollection of the events that transpired in that erased timeline, it directly contradicts previously established canon from Rush series and would have led them to take a very different direction with Blaze as a character entirely. (I've never had any friends due to my duties... I've lived a life of loneliness and solitude! No, wait! I did have a friend! In another timeline! With a silver psychokinetic hedgehog in a burning city being perpetually attacked by a red hot lava monster!)

Jeez. Fine, man.

I don't see why people are arguing about canon. With a canon as loose as Sonic's, it may be non-canon today, but it could very well be canon tomorrow.

And like Barry said, who cares? I just want to be able to play the game.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm with Barry and MaRCELLOF. Despite its flaws, I had a lot of fun with that game as a child.

Edited by Lungo

If Taxman were to remake Knuckles Chaotix, I would prescribe a few things that might make it feel like a completely different game.

- Classic level progression, with 2 acts and a boss act for each zone. 5 acts is way too excessive and the random level selector made the experience feel even more disjointed.

- An option between playing as one character alone, one character with another character following (like Tails in Sonic 2) or the ring-band system.

- Add Ray the Flying Squirrel. Mighty's appearance is not complete without Ray. wink.png

I do realize the first suggestion would negate the "time of day" system, but the remake could work around that somehow. Perhaps use the console's internal clock?

Edited by Preston

If Taxman were to remake Knuckles Chaotix, I would prescribe a few things that might make it feel like a completely different game.

- Classic level progression, with 2 acts and a boss act for each zone. 5 acts is way too excessive and the random level selector made the experience feel even more disjointed.

- An option between playing as one character alone, one character with another character following (like Tails in Sonic 2) or the ring-band system.

- Add Ray the Flying Squirrel. Mighty's appearance is not complete without Ray. wink.png

I do realize the first suggestion would negate the "time of day" system, but the remake could work around that somehow. Perhaps use the console's internal clock?

Yes, take levels out please!

Edited by Christmas MaRCELLOF

Also take out the Chaotix and add Sonic and Tails, then remove then partner system.

Should he rename it "Sonic Crackers" While he's at it ?

I'm all for a Knuckles Chaotix port/remake since I have never played that game in my life and would love to play in some way (I don't play on Emulators) instead of hunting a 32x down and paying a shit ton for the original game so I'd be up for some classic Knuckles Chaotix on the Xbox 360, PS3 or Steam release with some extras in it (like in CD XBLA)

If you want the game to have Classic Progression I'd like it if the 5 Acts stay there but play the game Sonic Colours Eggshuttle progression seeing that has over 3 acts :)

Edited by Shaddix Leto Croft

But according to Sega the events of Knuckles Chaotix aren't canon and the Team Chaotix from there isn't the same as Heroes.

This statement was from the same guy who said that Sonic Rush was the first Sonic game on a Nintendo handheld. And like the responses to this question below, songs from the Sonic games on the Advance titles were still remixed/remade for Generations.

Anyway, it would be cool to see a Knuckles' Chaotix port to get the same treatment Sonic CD did. Also like the extra feature suggestions people have thrown in as well. Like having Sonic and Tails playable (would also accept Amy too), and making the "rubber band" co-op mechanism optional. I would also have it so that the entire co-op gameplay is optional too.

Edited by ModernHentaiQuillScrooge
  • Thumbs Up 1

To be fair, the entire game could use a facelift. Not just physics or whatever, but the stages could really use some work. Namely the lack of a decent challenge in the first few acts of each stage where they felt like tutorial levels.

Also, I think Marina Madness could do well as a water level too instead of just DERP, BOATS...

Very well. Enjoy your 5 acts which drag on.

Some people just want to play the game as it was meant to be, considering that no one has played it.

This statement was from the same guy who said that Sonic Rush was the first Sonic game on a Nintendo handheld. And like the responses to this question below, songs from the Sonic games on the Advance titles were still remixed/remade for Generations.

1. We've already refuted the music argument ages ago.

(Much more WMG and comedic) 2. Slight difference between Heroes and the Advances/Rush from what I can tell.

For Advance/Rush, it appears that he doesn't exactly care all too much about their place in the grand scheme of things. He'll allow for references to them alright, but nothing truly specific other than "Sonic saved Cream here" or "Blaze came from another dimension...but also the future because they're both equally valid". And every time he's probably thinking "Eh whatever. Time for coffee". It just happened to be very successful for the company, which is why they're reusing Dimps so much.

Now, from what I can gather just from the interview where he said Knuckles Chaotix wasn't canon (not including every reference to Heroes ever since Mario and Sonic Winter in 2009), Heroes was, and is, his baby. The reintroduction of the Chaotix as new personalities also came off that way.

Hell, I bet when AAUK thought up the great idea to have wanted/missing cameos in Generations and thought about how Mighty was last seen in 1995 when devising the posters, Iizuka just burst in through his bedroom wall ala the Koolaid Man and warned him not to mix Mighty up with his precious babies or he'd suffer dearly for it.

Or maybe I'm just overhyped because I'm tired. Meh.