Awoo.

Advice for Gaming Headsets?

Badnik Mechanic

In the last two years, Gaming Headsets have become very popular. Almost every gaming convention now has them hooked up to consoles and theres usually several booths there dedicated to the surround sound headseat extravaganza!

Gamefest this year was the first convention I'd been to which had the headsets plugged into both Xbox 360's and PS3's on a very large level, I think that Sonic Generations was the only booth that didn't have them plugged in.

Trying them out, I was quite amazed at how good they were, whilst it couldn't block out the noise of the convention... playing games like Dark Souls enhanced the atmosphere of the game tramendously, each step on the stone floors, the roar of the fires, it really enhanced the experience, same with the driving games, the soundtracks were pumping, the engines sounded like they were going to errupt.

Short of finding several thousand pounds and a lot of space, getting a full surround sound system for my PS3 & TV wasn't likely to happen any time soon...

But these headsets... they were a fraction of the cost for a surround sound experience... and I pondered my christmas list.

Well anyway... .. ..

I don't particually care if theres some kind of scientific test that says 'oh well you want a full surround sound experience because it's better and more accurate, yeah it probably will be... maybe if I had the room space and a few spare thousand pounds laying around I'd go for that... but I'd rather have the headset... that and me dad won't be bangin' on the door saying 'turn that ruddy racket down... ya noisy bugger!'

So for me specifically, I'm looking for one that I can use for my PS3, the most obvious choice is to go for the official Sony headseat. It's 7.1 surround sound, it also has a mic for online gaming when I need to talk to people (yay), and It also means that I won't ever need to worry about firmware upgrades to weed out 3rd party stuff...

However... being an official product... like any official product for any console.. it comes with a high price tag.

Whilst the price tag doesn't bug me too much, since it would mean peace of mind both with getting it to work and future firmware updates. I am still open to other options.

Does anyone who has a PS3 or who knows about these headsets have any other recommendations? Preferably one which has a built in mic for online gaming?

Yes even 360 owners, interested in those too, yeah I know I said PS3, but might as well throw this open for people in general since these things are getting more and more popular. Anyone got an opinion/recommendation when it comes to these things?

Edited by Hogfather

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Badnik Mechanic

• Silencer226

• HUNTER297

• Tailer

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Turtle Beach headsets on my pc, they are snug, warm, and awesome. The mic is wonderful. I'd give those a look. I use X11's, they're good, but not "I can hear footsteps good" that's the more expensive model.

The sets for ps3 are called P11's.

Edited by FrostySilencer

I use Turtle Beach headsets on my pc, they are snug, warm, and awesome. The mic is wonderful. I'd give those a look. I use X11's, they're good, but not "I can hear footsteps good" that's the more expensive model.

The sets for ps3 are called P11's.

Thanks for the info, I'll definately look into them, I know Turtle Beach's are supposed to be really really good, only wasn't too sure as to what the PS3 counterparts were like, they seem to mostly focus on the PC/360 market.

My friend has one of those Sony Surround HSs. I tried it and its pretty darn awsome. I am getting one for myself for Christmas. Its quite pricey but In My Opinio its worth it.

Thanks for the info, I'll definately look into them, I know Turtle Beach's are supposed to be really really good, only wasn't too sure as to what the PS3 counterparts were like, they seem to mostly focus on the PC/360 market.

These are all of the models for the PS3.

You can actually use X11's on the PS3 but the mic won't work, you'll get sound but the communication will be 0.

I'm personally using trittons ax pro and from my point of view they are great, but unfortunately they come with a price. But in my opinion it's worth it completely since I use both for my 360 and pc, so I'd say it's better to spend more money IF you know you're going to use it alot. So the conclusion is really the usage.

Oh boy... lol well....

This morning I mentioned to my mum 'you were asking about christmas pressies... either a new chair, or I wouldn't mind a pair of headphones for my PS3/telly...' to which she goes... 'oh... well... santa might have already got you some...'

After an awkward conversation later, she narrowed it down to two possible headphones.

Either the Ear Force DPX21 from turtle beach. Or the Tritton AX pro (I think it was this one). So thumbs up to my mum for picking a great choice either way. lol even if it is one surprise out of the window =p

Quite looking forward to them, having doing more research with the official sony ones, turns out they won't give you surround sound with movies, only games, a little strange.

Edited by Hogfather

My Aunt and Uncle gave me this Sony Surround HS for Christmas . I might write a short review later if anyone is interested.

Edited by ReindeerHunter297