Awoo.

So in the end, how do you feel about the inclusion of Classic Sonic?

Soniman

I was super excited at first, but Now I couldn't care if it was just modern Sonic with classic Sonic gameplay.

The only reason they included C.S. is because the game is a 20th anniversary title. In other words, for fanservice.

So, I'm OK with that, but just for this one game.

Edited by ArtFenix

I liked it as a nice fanservice nod, but I don't think he was as interesting or as dynamic to play as as he was back in the Mega Drive days. I sound like a purist nostalgiafag, but he just didn't control as well and the rolling back in the day was great. The jump was also a little stiff. Entire thing was thankfully MUCH better than Sonic 4 though...

Other than that though... his levels were a lot of fun but I kind of felt that it took time away from perfecting the Modern levels, as I feel the Modern levels are almost there. Classic also made most of the 2D feel redundant aside from stuff where you used Modern's abilities to progress (ie wall jumping, the lava stomp platforms in Crisis City, etc). Aside from that, I also enjoyed Modern's levels a lot more.

Aside from Sonic 4 episode 2, I reckon they should just be like "fuck nostalgia" and make something original and good. Colours completely floored a lot of people for this reason, as it didn't rely on nostalgia at all. And truth to be told, I felt the Mega Drive era was the weakest in Generations, partly because of how it was earlygame and therefore some parts of the levels weren't that interesting, and while I loved Sky Sanctuary, I wish they'd picked a Sonic 3 level ._. this would have been an issue if the Modern era was first and went backwards though, because of how first levels are quite automated nowadays.

I find myself playing more as Modern Sonic a majority of the time since I find blasting through his levels more of a thrill, but without Classic Sonic, I don't think I could have enjoyed the difference between them as much. I love Classic Sonic's gameplay, don't get me wrong, but it made me realize just how much I love the Unleash's formula. Some argue it's getting stale already, but when I compare with Classic, it's almost the same in the sense of simplicity. You just race to the end with a few simple tricks up your sleeve, and Modern's just happens to be different tricks and in an additional addition.

As for seeing the character itself, I'm extremely thrilled I got to see Classic Sonic again. He's mannerisms and attitude really show how lovable he is, and maybe his modern form should take notes for the future. I like how Modern Sonic is now, but Classic just has a sort of lovable magic that seems absent from Modern, and I really think he could gain it again if done correctly.

For me, honestly being an old school gamer (more then current stuff) sold me the game right away. I love 2D games, regardless what it was. Classic Sonic has that charm Modern could never get. Modern... is the same gameplay for the past 3 years and I needed something different. I also wanted SEGA to remind ITSELF what made Sonic famous in the first place, and it did it here. Besides our community, the regular videogamers out there also noticed and finally looking at the game saying how cool it was.

It felt nice playing as him outside 16-bit graphics. Plus, I certainly enjoyed his gameplay on-level with S3&K, which was the best of the classics, I find.