Awoo.

The Official Sonic Generations Mods Topic

CanofEpicSauce

well I know that the engine is capable of a lot of stuff, and I know breakable ice can just be modified breakable glass amoung other things, the trick is you just have to know HOW to use it

The ice actually works as slippery. tongue.png

EDIT: Also I don't plan to visit much more this thread... it's either bitching about aesthetics or some badly botched geometry imports straight from SA2 without any effort on it... Step up your game guys, it's totally possible. I'll just come around and let you know of the SonicGLvl updates

I know it might just be for getting used to it, but it doesn't really give a nice image to see all this stuff without even lights sometimes, then people thinking it can only do basic stuff like if it was BlitzSonic Next-gen...

Not everyone is a texture artist. You're just gonna have to deal with it, or help out. If you're good and making hi-res textures, then why not help out? Sonic Adventure 2 was released over 10 years ago. Can't really expect the textures to be 1024x1024 or hi-res. But honestly, if you don't like the ports, they why not do a better job?

• Thumbs Up 1

I asked this before guys.

But where's the SILVER love?

I'm really tempted to just put this topic to rest due to how much of a clusterfuck the whole thing is. Like if anyone here honestly has something to offer for this game, they'd be able to just make a topic in the showcase forum.

I can understand the issues, but texturing is extremely tough, its not an easy job, I personaly a modeler, and I have to mess with it, and texturing can be a real pain when I need to do it, so the first priotity on a porters mind is getting the base area working then worry about textures. I can understand the want to close this thread, but it does have its uses, and is a good way to meet other modders, but I do understand your choice if you close it. I am hoping to start up a development thread for my knuckles chaotix thread when I have some basic assets done anyways, as once I have the 2 playable characters in and start messing with physics I should have plenty to show

• Thumbs Up 3

tl;dr

Modders can't be expected to be godly at everything they do.

We aren't all as good as Dario or Melpronto.

If you don't like something do it yourself.

:3

That's my take on all of this.

Point is, closing this topic is a Bad Idea. Goku already explained why.

We're still human. It's our nature to fight over stupid things. But it never lasts long.

Unlessyou'reSonicRetro

OH I WENT THERE

EDIT: Did I just seriously kill the topic again ;-;

Edited by The True BlackHawk

It's more like I'm thinking about how cluttered the topic is and there's not a lot of organization. It's really just the same people posting here too, or people joining just to post here. The game's been out for a while too, so people who do have something worthwhile to offer, you really might as well just make showcase topics.

It's more like I'm thinking about how cluttered the topic is and there's not a lot of organization. It's really just the same people posting here too, or people joining just to post here. The game's been out for a while too, so people who do have something worthwhile to offer, you really might as well just make showcase topics.

But its a general though, theres going to be some disorganization when theres minor and major mods being shown off. After all, this topic wasn't really dedicated to just 1 mod the purpose was to showcase all kinds of mods. But I do agree the modders like JoeTE and DarioFF can move on from this topic and make seprate topics, they probably just have been afraid to since theres rules about redundant topics. if you give an OK though I'm sure the ones super dedicated to their mods will split off from this topic.

I don't know I mean is it a real problem that people are just joining SSMB just to hang out in this general topic? They really shouldn't be forced to interact with the rest of the forum if all they want to do is talk about mods, there not really causing any trouble or anything.

• Thumbs Up 2

tl;dr

Modders can't be expected to be godly at everything they do.

We aren't all as good as Dario or Melpronto.

If you don't like something do it yourself.

This.

I personally like the ports. People have to bare in mind that just because the Unleashed porting project is going to look and most likely work far better than the other level ports (not necessarily, just highly likely) that doesn't make them terrible. Dario has made modding relatively simple for people, and you can't expect every mod to have the same amount of work as if a whole team is doing it. Eventually I'm sure we'll see alot more polished mods popping up.

In fact, I don't even see the argument here, because a huge chunk of these mods are well polished. I don't know about you guys, but I have been involved in many modding communities, and let me tell you, there are alot more polished mods for this game than for A LOT of them out there.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, that aside, I thought I'd do some commentary.

Joe, somehow I missed it earlier, but that Metal Sonic model looks fantastic. I'm glad someone is finally working on his modern rendition instead of just using the Classic one. It would be neat if you replaced Classic with the classic one and perhaps made Modern's super form Neo Metal. Of course, I'm just thinking of the possibilities, but I would love for more characters to have the amount of effort put into them that you've done with Super Sonic and the Robo Sonic's. Others have done fantastic work too, of course, its just rather nice to see some gems in between all of the botched model swaps.

I agree with bandi, though, wether keeping this open for general discussion and help, or perhaps starting up a FAQ modding thread might be an idea as well, giving basic information, and updates on modding tools would be a great aid for new modders

I know you might consider a couple more specific threads more work, but it could potentialy be less if each is set with individual guidelines, which means less work, and in some ways more focus

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

But I do agree the modders like JoeTE and DarioFF can move on from this topic and make seprate topics, they probably just have been afraid to since theres rules about redundant topics.

At this point, I wouldn't have too many problems with having a personal showcase thread for my Sonic Generations mods. It'd also give me some incentive to showcase any Super Smash Bros. Brawl mods I work on, as well as any of my sprites / art (I'm assuming that non-Sonic stuff isn't against the rules within showcase threads.)

Joe, somehow I missed it earlier, but that Metal Sonic model looks fantastic. I'm glad someone is finally working on his modern rendition instead of just using the Classic one. It would be neat if you replaced Classic with the classic one and perhaps made Modern's super form Neo Metal. Of course, I'm just thinking of the possibilities, but I would love for more characters to have the amount of effort put into them that you've done with Super Sonic and the Robo Sonic's. Others have done fantastic work too, of course, its just rather nice to see some gems in between all of the botched model swaps.

I was working on the Modern Metal Sonic just to get some experience with doing full-rigs on a model instead of being able to direclty copy Sonic's rigging. I'm not going to be doing much with it, though I will at least try to fully fix the rigging on it.

At this point, I wouldn't have too many problems with having a personal showcase thread for my Sonic Generations mods. It'd also give me some incentive to showcase any Super Smash Bros. Brawl mods I work on, as well as any of my sprites / art (I'm assuming that non-Sonic stuff isn't against the rules within showcase threads.)

I was working on the Modern Metal Sonic just to get some experience with doing full-rigs on a model instead of being able to direclty copy Sonic's rigging. I'm not going to be doing much with it, though I will at least try to fully fix the rigging on it.

Regardless, that will still be great. In fact, has there even been a completed character with a new rig yet? I don't think there has been, or at least, I haven't seen one.

Oh, and this may be off topic, but I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get the character models from Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing. I can't find them anywhere.

Also still looking for a crystalline Mephiles model...

Edited by squidgy617

There will always be good and bad modders. But for the bad to evolve, we need them to be among the good ones.

It's something we can't stop. Like Goku said, it may be fine to have Dario and Joe have their own topics, but if you force everyone to do so, we'll not only have chaos, we'll also be disorganized, and all the attention will go to Dario and Joe. Leaving the bad to stay bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

No.

No we won't have chaos.

Stop acting like it'd be the end of the damn world if I lock this. I'm just going to make a decision later when I can be fucked to think more straight than in the middle of the night.

• Thumbs Up 4

Chaos is a big word, true.

But you can't deny that there will still be a clusterfuck.

I'm not acting like it'll be the end of the world, I'm saying that locking is simply a bad idea.

And by the way, the main point of my post was about the effect of good modders on bad, and how it would be negated if this was closed, not my statement on chaos. Perhaps it's because you're tired but I thought you could notice something like that, Sean.

I'm really tempted to just put this topic to rest due to how much of a clusterfuck the whole thing is. Like if anyone here honestly has something to offer for this game, they'd be able to just make a topic in the showcase forum.

How about instead of that, just throw some suspensions around when people start circlejerking or posting their Shitty the Fanhog textures. Alternatively, you could have it so only people who have something to contribute can post.

Honestly, I don't give a fuck what happens either way, I just think that's a better course of action to take. I'm tired of the shitheads in here clogging the pipes as well.

Edited by Lobotomy

Or the whole topic gets cleaned and the first post gives you the utillities for modding, the guidelines for the mods and the thread itself. This is mostly the place where people ask for advice and for how-to stuff.

Edit: Didn't realize I made this post already, lol.

Anyway, doesn't anyone know how to add objects from on stage to another?

Edited by Azu

Thank you dario ff for all your hard work and effort on sonicglvl, and make it available to the communitty, for that we are grateful.

and I guess I should be quiet for a while, untill I finish some base stuff for my mod, then I will start posting updates when I have started on the first new (from scratch, or with some ported or borrowed models) levels.

also, without this thread, I might have not been able to start modding this engine, due to the fact that retro is pretty intimidating at first, and of course you cant ask newbie questions there

due to the fact that retro is pretty intimidating at first, and of course you cant ask newbie questions there

Sonic Retro is touchy, they usually want everything to be nice and clean, and only allow the best in.

They worked up a pretty bad rep that way, especially with the stupid fights over stupid things like eyecolor and stagecolor... I'm not saying the people at Retro are stupid, not at all. I'm saying some of them need to move with the time and stop complaining.

And people complain when I say we're slowly becoming like Sonic Retro.

And yes Blue Blood, I know what I'm talking about, tyvm.

But I digress.

SO WHAT ABOUT THAT SILVER GUISE?

I understand that quite a few people like having this thread around, and that many got their start with this thread.

Personally, I'd been making Generations mods before ever knowing of this thread. I actually got my start by lurking in the Sonic Retro's Sonic Generations mod thread. Heck, even whenever I did post there, nobody had any problems with me.

I re-joined the SSMB after about 4 years of absence because I saw that someone had posted one of my mod videos here (prior to my leave, my claim to "fame" was sprite art. I was so "famous" that I was a semi-staff member / contributor to this site's now-defunct spriting sub-site. True story.)

Anyways, back in late November/early December, this very thread was nothing like it is now. Most people just hung out, talked about theories, and occasionally brought up mod videos they thought were awesome.

When I got here, I just showed some progress on my mod ideas because a few people had already been talking about my videos. Soon afterwards, I others others (such as BoomBoomFP) joined in to show their own mods, and by early 2012, the thread became what it is now.

In the end, I'll honestly be happy with whatever decision is made for the thread. There aren't many solutions that can truly keep all of the mod discussion and showcasing in proper moderation. But no matter what happens, I'll take it in stride and make the best out of the situation.

• Thumbs Up 6

*wall of text*

Egh, you're right. I honestly don't feel like discussing the outcome of this topic anymore. I put up my points, now I'll leave it to Sean and the others to decide.

Also I'm pretty sure the reason why Retro didn't have a problem with you was because you were famous for your sprite art. I'm not saying you don't deserve it, but Retro always loves the famous and the skilled.

In any case I believe this is a point in the evolution of hacking topics that will always appear. No matter where.