Awoo.

What if Sega...Stopped Making Sonic Games?

Place

Wouldn't have all that much of an effect on me. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the sonic series but hey. all good things come to an end, right? it's no big deal; just means I'd have it as part of good memories, really.

Eh it wouldn't be the end of my world. If one thing I think Sega SHOULD do is stop making Sonic Games. At least for a few years. Absolutely nothing should come down the Sonic pipe save for maybe the comic. Who knows maybe even that should go on hiatus.

I can't tell if Sonic is on the verge of becoming, or IS over saturated. He could use a break.

But if Sonic dissapeared forever. Yeah I think I'd be sad.

Edited by Dejablue

Our lively Upcoming Games section would disappear and only the Sonic Discussion would last. I don't know about you guys, but I hardly touch that place since I'm not really one to discuss the what-ifs of Sonic and so forth.

All in all, I'd be stuck playing Generations for generations.

• Thumbs Up 2

If it ended?

I would like the canon story to go out with a bang, not dead smack in the middle of a cliffhanger or something.

But I probably would be deserate enough to get into the fangames and follow them for more Sonicy goodness.

But if SEGA stopped making new games, for whatever reason, doesn't mean they can't support old games with new DLC (like Activision with Guitar Hero)

I know exactly how i would feel. See, my two favorite franchises are Sonic and The Simpsons. It was recently announced that the Simpsons would be canclelled... and then it was quickly announced that it wouldn't be. But for that brief while before Fox came out and said "nah, it's gonna keep going after all", i got to experience my reaction to hearing the show was coming to and end. And it wasn't a pleasant feeling. It was like a part of my universe being obliderated, and it was very sad indeed.

So Sonic being "cancelled" would probably evoke the same feelings in me... if not even stronger feelings, considering that i still honestly enjoy the new Sonic games, while The Simpsons is something i watch more because of tradition these days.

Edited by batson

I would don my Darth Vader outfit and go:

vader.jpg

And then realise that I didn't really enjoy any of the post-Adventure games anyway.

And then go a-torrenting for ISOs.

Edited by eXtaticus
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic would probably never dissappear.

Probably because fans who are hacking Sonic games now, may end up getting together and buy the licence off of SEGA and start making their own Sonic games. Either that, or one of the Big 3 console manufacturers will buy Sonic Team (and SEGA if they were smart, you can't miss an opportunity to gain publshing rights to exceptional developers such as Platinum Games) and then start using him as their own mascot.

Sonic, whilst having a series of consistant games, is an undying icon. Fans of the series will pass on their love to their children and so on. The legacy of Sonic the Hedgehog will remain, especially thanks to the internet. The SSMB won't just dissappear, it will become a shire/memorial to the fun times and shenanigans that were had.

As long as the fans exist, there is money to be made. Therefore, somebody, it doesn't matter who, will capitalise on it. I just hope it isn't Activision.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

I would suddenly have all A's in my classes, more friends, and hang out alot more....

At least until I cling on to another big mascot in the gaming community then I'll go back to being satisfied with B's and C's, having less friends, and stay in my home playing video games and researching about the newest game.

Sega would also probably drop off the map. Or at least not make as much as they use to.

It'll never happen-- but if they DID drop Sonic, another game company would more than likely buy the franchise from Sega and continue making games.

But yeah. He's worth waaaaaayyyy too much money to drop or let go.

SEGA would lose a big part of where their money comes from. They have other franchises and stuff, sure, but Sonic is the huge one that everyone knows and loves. As for the way the people would react, it'd probably just be a shame for the fanboys, other would say "Meh, he wasn't that great anyways", and then we move on.

Well I guess alot of it depends on WHEN and WHY they drop him. Yes he's a famous characters and I really don't see them getting rid of him anytime soon. I expect him to be around at least another 10 years. That said they can't run with Sonic forever (pun totally intended) especially if they aren't willing to age or change the character that much.. Eventually people are going to start to frown on and see same old same old and ignore him. SEGA won't likely let their mascot go out like that though and if they feel they need to end Sonic's career he'll likely go out with a bang with a big farewell adventure or something.

Now if this happens, as others have mentioned, they'll likely still be fangames, art, stories, movies, and comics. Also another company might even they to buy Sonic and make games for him. A lot of it I feel depends on the economy and if the trends of today can be applied to the future. Right now there are a TON of cartoon characters that are "coming back.:" new Thunder Cats series, new Garfield series, new Batman, new looney Toons, etc. and much of the movies today are remakes of old ones or star old school characters like Yogi bear, and the Smurfs. In other words recycling. Yeah it's sad to think of Sonic someday being like this but he might be. And with his popularity and the number of different stories he's been in through TV already, well there's a good chance he'll get picked up.

Now this is all assuming things stay relatively the same, but with the economy like it is, well the video game industry as a whole could be in for hard times. There's the possibility that, if things get really bad, it'll crash. The good news is it's crashed once before and it came back. Also the crash was largely because of bad games and the public's lack of interest in games. Business thought video games were likely just a temporary fad so pretty much let the industry die with out much struggle. Today it'll likely not be so much as a lack of interest as it'll be people being unable to afford games and not buying them or the new consoles. The Movie Industry as it is is hurting pretty bad right now I fear it might only be a matter of time till the video games industry start really feeling the pinch.

It would be a shame for both fans and SEGA, considering the Blue Blur is beginning to walk the path towards redemption. Hopefully Generations can stand as testament that the franchise wasn't really ruined forever.

Three (or maybe two) simple, but potentially very scary words can describe what would happen, if Sega were to stop making Sonic games.

Fan-based games.

(NOTE: I said potentially very scary. I didn't say scary. There are many awesome fan-based Sonic games. But I bet there will be some 10 year old sooner or later trying to make some Sonic game on Game Maker 8 or whatever, or some crazy person [i.e. ME] will try combining fan bases in such a way that the end result is horrible.)

Edited by FRiNKEL BUNNY

Well it means all the characters I have grown to love (yes, even many of the so-called "Shitty Friends") would be lost. Forever. And the colourful worlds and zones. They'd be lost. Forever.

But mainly, Robotnik. He'd be lost. Forever.

I... I don't think I could take it. I'd have to seriously re-evaluate my life. I'm not saying there'd be anything of the omnicidal variety, but I'm not keeping a promise on things not ending Romeo & Juliet-style.

I remember playing the original Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Genesis when I was 4 years old. I am 19 years old now. Which means I've been playing Sonic for 15 years of my life.

If they were to stop making Sonic games or drop the series altogether, I'd be one sad little panda.

Heck, if it wasn't for Sonic, I wouldn't even be the avid video game player that I am today. I never would've gotten into gaming.

And I know that there are other video game series like Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, etc. But it just wouldn't be the same. sad.png

You guys may think I'm weird but if SEGA cancelled sonic forever then I would honestly cry. I've been playing sonic games since I could walk and he's been a huge part of my life, I kno he's a video game/comic character but I love the blue blur more than I love some ppl that i actually know. He's been through some ups and downs but I honestly enjoyed/love most of his games. Even the newer ones! Sonic Unleashed and colors just happens to be some of my all time favorite sonic games along side the genesis titles and I'm in love with Sonic Generations. I would want SEGA to keep making more sonic games and expanding the franchise, and yes sometimes good things do last forever.

Edited by Megabox91(Renzy)