Awoo.

Moderating Issues that I Feel Need to Be Addressed

Dark Qiviut

I think the staff is fine for the most part, the only beef I ever had was with #3. The constant swearing by the staff seriously turned me off before I joined.

So far, I've been caring less and less about people swearing. As long as you aren't over the top, then you're fine.

I think the staff is fine for the most part, the only beef I ever had was with #3. The constant swearing by the staff seriously turned me off before I joined.

So far, I've been caring less and less about people swearing. As long as you aren't over the top, then you're fine.

• Thumbs Up 3

Good morning.

This is something that's been with me for a long time now. I usually don't say it aloud, and I've talked about this to some members here (including one time in the status box while the mods were asleep). Personally, due to the way things are out of control lately, I'm up to here *swipes finger across nose*, and I think it's time to relieve some frustrations.

It's the moderating.

My issues are these.

1. Almost all the mods don't communicate Sonic on here. This is the Sonic Stadium Message Board. We mostly discuss areas about the Sonic series here, with some smaller sections like Computer Games, Off-Topic, and PD below it. However, unless a report is sent, we don't see the mods or admins going around the Sonic forums at all. Unless it's lip service, I see absolutely no one that helps moderate this forum just discuss about Sonic one bit. They're usually in the top two subforums or the bottom two subforums. Nowhere in the middle, period. Like it or not, that's actually a huge issue for people like myself. The mods/admins don't really communicate stuff of Sonic on here. The only ones who do are Carbo (who isn't as active there anymore), Dizney, and Flyboy Fox (although mostly for Archie). Dreadknux, Roarey Raccoon, bmn, and Chris are almost never active on the Sonic-centered boards. I'm active on the main Sonic Discussion board. Because most of the staff couldn't care less about Sonic anymore, whenever I see their names pop on the bottom, I wonder if something went wrong, and that's it. I get absolutely no other impression that they want to get involved in the actual conversation of the topic. When I made my topic analyzing the atmospheres of Adventure, SA2, SNG, and SU HD, Sean's name appeared, and I thought I did something stupid. I received no other thought, and I was actually relieved when he left the thread.

Something to keep in mind is that just like you, the moderating staff here are members, and are free to discuss whatever they'd like to. On top of that, you might as well be asking for more activity from mods, since those are the ones that are mainly active on the actual boards. Either that or they're behind the scenes doing work. Regardless though, there is no reason a board for the Sonic Stadium has to be entirely Sonic. It would get dull here. As long as mods do their job here, this shouldn't be a real issue. I'll admit I also would like it if we had some more Sonic discussion with our staff here but to try and MAKE them talk about something they don't want to is unfair. Just because they're staff shouldn't incline them to go beyond the call of duty and jump in discussion they don't care about.

2. At times, the mods and admins are asleep or inactive. There are admins living in the U.S. and many areas across Europe. Mostly, they're on at specific times. The NA staff are usually on from about 9 AM to 10 PM. The European staff are on from around 4 AM to around 4 PM. There's a gap where they're not on the SSMB, leaving this place not moderated. Here, it's relatively large, and there are plenty who live in other parts of the globe, especially New Zealand, Australia, South Korea, Russia (covering both Asia and Europe), and Japan collectively. While there isn't much activity during the late hours EST, there is some. But when a rule is bent or broken, the staff isn't around at all. Sometimes, I see no staff moderating the forums from 7 PM to my bedtime at 9-10 PM. It's not around-the-clock, as it SHOULD.

Sean answered this one pretty good. In summary, Mods already devote time out of their lives to watch us goofballs. Don't ask MORE time out of them. That's kind of rude. Just report innapropriate posts so they can take action when they get back.

3. Most of the mods' behaviors when presenting their lip service are absolutely terrible! I don't mind cursing or whatnot here, but only when they're done in jest or out of humor. But when giving reminders, there's no excuse. Saying "we're human" doesn't cut it. Do we get frustrated? Absolutely. I speak of this as a former admin myself. But that leaves absolutely no excuse to consistently act like a sailor when warning people here. It's a terrible attitude. You guys are staffers. You're supposed to be an example to the members here. The way you express yourselves authoritatively reflects on us and vice-versa. As you guys patrol this forum, you set an example and a much higher standard. The way many of you warn people (by acting like you're angry or annoyed all the time and cursing your heads off like someone with Tourette's Syndrome) does nothing except drive possible newcomers away. Once is okay, like what happened with the Status fiasco in late-July while I was in the Caribbean. But that's once. The behavior has repeated and at times has gone worse. That's not being frustrated. That's using frustration as merely a half-baked excuse and makes me wonder whether some of you should actually attend anger management therapy. With the exception of two mods, I don't respect any of you mods here. Instead, I fear you. I don't trust you. By being very so forceful, you guys are demanding that respect. That's not how you get it. You don't demand respect. You earn it. And with the behavior some of you have presented, you don't deserve one ounce of respect from me. Do you want your fellow members to feel like you need to be a pushover just to get respect, or not?

This however, I could not agree with more. I seriously feel like the moderating staff here HATES me at times. Whether that's true or not is besides the point... I've actually asked a few people at times "Do you think Sean hates me or something?" and I've gotten the response "Yep". In fact, come to think of it, only mods I feel like that actually enjoy me here would be Diz and Flyboy. Maybe Pelly. Those are out of the ones who are regularly active. In general, less foulmouthing please...I know it helps get a point across sometimes and we all get frustrated...but you people act like the world hates you and you hate it right back. Seriously, be a bit more sincere. It isn't that much to ask for. Even in this topic I see a few mods giving off some "I iz so mad" vibes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Lol you guys take everything so personally, I don't know how many times I hear from people 'I am the most hated member of the boards' and 'wooe is me, all the staff must hate me'

drama drama drama

People have different opinions on stuff like harshness or swearing, we also have a variety of mods that each have their own moderating styles to cater to this. You might like how some do it and disagree with others, but that doesn't mean that every member of staff should have to do things the way you want.

and if you feel the staff hate you, we probably don't. It's those of you think we like you, you're the ones who have to watch out :U

• Thumbs Up 1

I personally I like staff swearing at me makes me feel so naughty I need to be disciplined, get out the chains and whips, yes, yes!biggrin.png

Er, sorry I got lost there for a momment.happy.png

Edited by BW199148

I've actually asked a few people at times "Do you think Sean hates me or something?" and I've gotten the response "Yep". In fact, come to think of it, only mods I feel like that actually enjoy me here would be Diz and Flyboy. Maybe Pelly.

While I'm happy that I come across as liking SSMB's member base (I do, I love you guys to death ♥), it seems to me that you're drawing a misguided correlation between mods who have salty language and mods who dislike forum members. Diz and I (and to an extent, Pelly) use less swears than the others, it's true, but that has no bearing on our or their passion for the forum and desire to make it a good environment for everyone.

All the staffers were chosen because they displayed good judgement and seemed to get along well with the majority of the forum, and where mods in the past have abused their positions, they have been removed. If any of our staff have seemed aggressive or overly snippy or snide, bear in mind two things: firstly, tone is often very hard to judge by text, and secondly, even staff have the occasional bad day and overreact. I may hardly ever swear, but I'm sure some of you can attest to the fact that I have occasionally been overly sarcastic, snippy or passive-aggressive in my dealings with people. Yes, we should leave our personal lives at the door when doing a job, but at the end of the day, we're unpaid volunteers doing this forum work on top of our outside jobs and edumacashuns.

Having said all of that, we're also not unreasonable and if you do feel that a staff member has behaved unfairly, you can always talk to us about it and we will try to resolve it. It is best if you talk to the staffer you had an issue with themselves, and if you're polite and don't jump to conclusions, the staffer in question will almost certainly give you an honest and civil response. If you feel that isn't enough, the next step is to PM an admin (rather than another staffer) who, being in a higher position, will take appropriate action. Bear in mind, that action may be in defence of the staffer, but in cases where obvious abuse of position took place, the admins won't turn a blind eye.

However, I have not personally seen any member of our current staff team behave in an outrageous or power-crazed way, and I don't believe there's any cause for complaint at this moment because this team are good staffers, and good people in general who really do try their best. Have understanding for them, and they will have understanding for you ♥

I personally I like staff swearing at me makes me feel so naughty I need to be disciplined, get out the chains and whips, yes, yes!biggrin.png

Er, I got lost there for a momment.happy.png

Oh dear. Looks like another one for Flyboy's Dungeon >D *Cracks whip*

Luul I still don't get people thinking Sean is mean. Sean is like the coolest, most chill, friendliest guy and I know him better than any of you so I can say that :U

I was scared of the mods before I became a staff, so I think if any of them had been like 'you're doing this wrong' I would have been all 'waaaah I'm awful' So I kind of get it.

.....But at the same time we're trying to be like, no we don't hate you. We just want you to follow the rules, and our personal modding styles come out in those instances.

Also what Flyboy said is true. Please don't pm another mod if you have have a problem with a mod. It looks really bad for you, like you're trying to play your mom and dad against each other. As soon as I see this, you lose credibility with your complaint against that first mod (in my eyes).

• Thumbs Up 2