Awoo.

"Pumped Up Kicks"

Gaming Misfit

Whoa. I can't believe I didn't know this until recently. Have any of you heard the song "Pumped Up Kicks"....You might know what I'm getting at....you might not. It's one of the most popular songs here in America ATM, So I hear it on the radio all the time really. I never bothered to listen to the lyrics though until recently. I was at church (yes I'm religous. If you've got a problem with that keep it to yourself) and they were talking about the song. The song's actually about a kid who goes on a shooting spree named Robert. And it's a true story too. Take a look at the song if you haven't already...

Edited by --Chris--
  • Thumbs Up 2

Whoa. I can't believe I didn't know this until recently. Have any of you heard the song "Pumped Up Kicks"....You might know what I'm getting at....you might not. It's one of the most popular songs here in America ATM, So I hear it on the radio all the time really. I never bothered to listen to the lyrics though until recently. I was at church (yes I'm religous. If you've got a problem with that keep it to yourself) and they were talking about the song. The song's actually about a kid who goes on a shooting spree named Robert. And it's a true story too. Take a look at the song if you haven't already...

I love how upbeat songs get past the censors, yet anything dark or agressive gets censored to high heavens! rolleyes.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, I don't think it's that bad personally. It's *apparently* supposed to be in memorial of all the victims. I guess it's okay if that's the case, but I'm still a bit freaked out to find out such an upbeat and happy SOUNDING song was about a kid with bad family life going crazy and killing kids with cool shoes...

Well, I don't think it's that bad personally. It's *apparently* supposed to be in memorial of all the victims. I guess it's okay if that's the case, but I'm still a bit freaked out to find out such an upbeat and happy SOUNDING song was about a kid with bad family life going crazy and killing kids with cool shoes...

Well if it was Nine Inch Nails or Marilyn Manson who wrote it wouldn't be played nor sold at Walmart but you still buy a gun, God Bless America!wink.png

I'm still a bit freaked out to find out such an upbeat and happy SOUNDING song was about a kid with bad family life going crazy and killing kids with cool shoes...

Pfft, like "happy-sounding" songs about death are anything new. Personally I think they're awesome.

This is about suicide, for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEq8wa1Oydc

Well if it was Nine Inch Nails or Marilyn Manson who wrote it wouldn't be played nor sold at Walmart but you still buy a gun, God Bless America!wink.png

You make a good point, I didn't really mean the that as a response to anyone tho'. Just sort of been thinking about it. Good point though.

They sell things people will buy more, and upbeat or poppy songs tend are more mainstream nowadays...

If you go to an actual music store, they'd of course have those...

Edited by Wooly-san

You make a good point, I didn't really mean the that as a response to anyone tho'. Just sort of been thinking about it. Good point though.

Oh no, I think its really clever when people write an upbeat song with dark lyrics just shows that people focus more on the tone/mood of the music than the lyrics.

Its like I often wonder if some Death Metal/Grindcore bands actually have any lyrics for all we know they could be about having cheese on toast.laugh.png

• Thumbs Up 1

When I went into this topic, I didn't know expect. Shoe topic? Another "this is happening in my life" topic? No, it's about a song. And not just any song. It's a song that my sister is currently obsessed with. Oh boy, this'll be fun wink.png

Edited by The Place-Rocker

Nononononono! I just got this song out of my head thanks to Freckles turning me onto "

Your not putting it back into my head!!

As for the lyrics, yeah i agree some of the lyrics of the songs i listen to are dark and distrubing. instead of just this one song, this should be a general lyrics thread.

Well I'm researching to see who the songs about. There are 2 different people I suspect. Only 2 well known Roberts who shot up their school and meet the lyrics...I'm reading their suicide notes. Kind of depressing...

• Thumbs Up 1

About 1/2 to 1/2 of They Might Be Giants songs are happy songs about sad things. Lyrical dissonance is fun!

But I've never heard of Foster the People and I couldn't care less about the song.

Edited by Dark Lord Storma-Gerk-on

What fucking Wal-Mart do you shop at where they have a weaponry aisle?

"Brb honey, goin' to Walmart."

"Yeah, we're out of electric battle axes and Gatling bazookas that use mini nukes for ammo, should only be gone for about 20 minutes- be back in time for dinner~!"

• Thumbs Up 3

"Brb honey, goin' to Walmart."

"Yeah, we're out of electric battle axes and Gatling bazookas that use mini nukes for ammo, should only be gone for about 20 minutes- be back in time for dinner~!"

Pfft, you weren't there when I threw a tantrum asking my mom to buy me a gun twelve years ago.

... I swear I was a normal kid growing up.

I'm still a bit freaked out to find out such an upbeat and happy SOUNDING song was about a kid with bad family life going crazy and killing kids with cool shoes...

It wouldn't be the first song with those caracteristics

The difference is that this song isn't based on a true story

Oh, and about the song, it's catchy, I think I've heard it somewhere, I think it was the TV, now that I know which one is I may look for it

Edited by Vec

What because of the lyrics? It's harmless... Yeah sure, the chorus is about shooting "fake" trendy type kids, but it's not exactly graphic and the it's catchy as hell.... good track

Pretty sure he means he's surprised that the video hasn't been taken down for using copyrighted material (which surprises me too)