Awoo.

Super Sonic Racing

Chaos Walker

Why not simply have characters that are either on foot or in vehicles? That way, you can have both a varied amount of characters and some rational sense of fair competition. You would also essentially have two classes, thus balancing the game would be a much easier process. It would also open the door for having different obstacles and paths on the track considering the amount of vehicles we've had in this series compounded with the different ways of maneuvering Sonic has at his disposal.

I like that idea, especially considering some characters will have to be on vehicles anyhow. Eggman and Big are the only ones who's abilities don't make up for their limitations enough, and thus need vehicles. (sorry, but I seriously doubt that once sequence in Sonic 2 holds much merit for Eggman's actual on foot speed) If anyone still want sto argue for Eggman running on foot, just imagine him drifting, stomping, and sidestepping. That's what I thought.

But yeah, it could be like Mario Kart's Kart/Bike thing. Some run, others ride. Also, I'd imagine that some techinicaly on foot characters would be treated like vehicles, such as Omega, Gamma, or Egg Robo. Mostly the larger robotic ones. And I suppose Tails could have the option.

I usually only talk about the design, but I like this idea so much I can't help but think about aspects like characters and tracks. Darn it, I want this game.

I like that idea, especially considering some characters will have to be on vehicles anyhow. Eggman and Big are the only ones who's abilities don't make up for their limitations enough, and thus need vehicles. (sorry, but I seriously doubt that once sequence in Sonic 2 holds much merit for Eggman's actual on foot speed) If anyone still want sto argue for Eggman running on foot, just imagine him drifting, stomping, and sidestepping. That's what I thought.

But yeah, it could be like Mario Kart's Kart/Bike thing. Some run, others ride. Also, I'd imagine that some techinicaly on foot characters would be treated like vehicles, such as Omega, Gamma, or Egg Robo. Mostly the larger robotic ones. And I suppose Tails could have the option.

I usually only talk about the design, but I like this idea so much I can't help but think about aspects like characters and tracks. Darn it, I want this game.

A combination of characters on foot and on vehicles would be nice. I'd prefer something where faster character are on foot while slower characters are in vehicles (like Big and Eggman.) To make it fair, characters in vehicles could be somewhat faster, but would be harder to control/dodge obstacles, while characters on foot would be able to make turns better and more easily dodge spikes and whatnot, but would be slower. Either that, or have every character and his mother be almost as fast as Sonic, with different abilities to make each character unique.

An on-foot Sonic racer doesn't make sense because the characters aren't evenly matched - although Sonic R was fun, its place in the overall Sonic continuity is pretty much nullified from the get-go because of this. A car-based game doesn't make sense because Sonic can run faster, and the games are always more fun when he does. Sonic Riders, however, was absolutely fantastic, but its sequels were complete and utter shite, and the whole Extreme Gear concept never seemed to be able to be executed in any other way than how the first game in the trilogy did it without sucking badly.

So, no; because of this, the Sonic series as a whole isn't at all suited to racing spin-offs owing to the massive balancing and quality issues that the combination of the franchise and the genre brings about. That's not to say that Sega shouldn't re-release and remake the existing titles, though...

An on-foot Sonic racer doesn't make sense because the characters aren't evenly matched
An on-foot racer makes perfect sense as long as you remember that it is a silly spin-off game and thus is not required to limit the characters to their "official" speeds.
  • Thumbs Up 3

I think All-Stars Racing was the best one yet. Sonic Riders is bad IMO. I love Sonic R but it's a really bad game, I just did a review of it. It didn't age well at all.

However, I think R is the best in terms of concept. Because it makes sense. Sonic and friends are really fast, so racing on foot would only come natural. I don't have a problem with Sonic racing in a car like a lot of people do. He has to race fairly with others, after all. But I have always wondered why they didn't go back to the concept of Sonic R. Almost every Sonic character is capable of running really fast and those that don't have enough tricks in their arsenal to make the game worthwhile to use them. Hell, even Dr. Eggman can run pretty darn fast. Just as fast as Sonic, even. So I think another Sonic R style game would be awesome.

Edited by Mephiles550

I couldn't care if sonic's in a car or not.

Besides it wouldn't be fair for the others if he wasn't in a car. It makes things even.

Edited by Chaos Walker

Why and how in the world would a boost be a detriment to a Sonic The Hedgehog arcade racer when speed-based power-ups are ubiquitous in the genre? :|

Edited by Nepenthe

Why and how in the world would a boost be a detriment to a Sonic The Hedgehog arcade racer when speed-based power-ups are ubiquitous in the genre? :|

• Thumbs Up 1

Which is why you either nerf any speed-based privileges so that they're not overpowered or constantly occurring, create specific power-ups to counteract against it, creating a generally having balanced roster in the first place, and so on and so forth. We have all survived kart and arcade racers have survived that have had speed-based power-ups just fine.

Edited by Nepenthe

Which is why you either nerf any speed-based privileges so that they're not overpowered or constantly occurring, create specific power-ups to counteract against it, creating a generally having balanced roster in the first place, and so on and so forth. We have all survived kart and arcade racers have survived that have had speed-based power-ups just fine.

Sure, a power up is fine. Especially if it is Mario Kart style where losers get the good stuff. The only example I can think of where a non-power up version worked was the Sonic riders boost. Though with that one they made it so that simply riding behind another boosting character sped you up as well.

Edited by Chaos Walker

I'm starting to wonder though... how well does Sonic's current Unleashed gameplay transfer to the other characters? I'm having trouble imagining Tails or Knuckles pulling quick steps and drifts.

Please no checkpoints like in SA2 or Heroes cause one of the annoying things people did when I was so far ahead of them is they would die whenever I hit a checkpoint. I ended up avoiding checkpoints eventually but that would backfire everytime I actually died and I would have to start all the way back to the beginning trying to keep up.

Whenever I hit a check point in SA2s multiplayer id use my spindash at the respawn point whenever my opponent dies, and and watch them die over and over and over again. Hilarious

Edited by Soniman032-
  • Thumbs Up 1

I always assumed Sonic used a car in the racing games so he'd be on a level playing field with everybody else. I mean, we all know he can run faster than the race cars, right? So it's hardly fair to the other racers if he doesn't use a car like everyone else.

I really do like this idea, although, I think it would work better using gameplay like SA2, as opposed to Unleashed... All the drifting and quick-stepping and other things don't seem like they would make sense for anyone besides Sonic or Shadow...

As far as the quick-step goes, Tails could angle his tails to the left or right for a quick horizontal shift, Knuckles could quickly punch the ground and counterbalance the force to push himself from side to side stylishly...I feel like a mini-racing mode included as an extra included with a main game would be a neat little time killer, so long as it was thought-out well. I like a lot of the ideas in here.

Edited by Mykonos

As far as the quick-step goes, Tails could angle his tails to the left or right for a quick horizontal shift, Knuckles could quickly punch the ground and counterbalance the force to push himself from side to side stylishly...I feel like a mini-racing mode included as an extra included with a main game would be a neat little time killer, so long as it was thought-out well. I like a lot of the ideas in here.

That, and using their tails/knuckles to to grab the ground loosely and drift. If they did something like Sonic R with on-foot racing, that would be great.

I suppose when you put it that way, every character could pull of a quick step or drift... yeah.