Awoo.

I seriously think it's time for a *true* reboot.

Dummy Bear

All reboots do is draw further attention to the fact that the creators (and usually everyone else) feel like a series has gone off the rails, and comes across as a desperate attempt to rejuvenate a franchise.

Oh, and piss off fans.

It just feels like a lazy way of trying to fix things or get attention. In fact, it's the opposite of fixing things. It's like that time in The Simpsons where Marge is making Bart and Lisa clean the house, and Bart says "Can't we just buy a new house?". Reboots are buying a new house instead of cleaning the one you have. I think a series would get more respect from being able to claw its way back out of a proverbial gutter than it would from just cheaply hitting the reset button.

• Thumbs Up 7

If Sega would have ever attempted to "save" Sonic's face with a complete reboot, it would have happened after Sonic 06, as that was the series absolute lowest point in the eyes of, well, everyone. But they didn't do it then, so obviously they aren't going to do it now when the series has actually started to gain a certain amount of respect again.

I think that people are forgetting that only ONE very good game in a franchise in the eyes of reviewers and such (Sonic Colours) will not fix everything...if Sonic Generations and maybe the next 2-3 titles do as well as Colours or better, THEN Sonic will be respected more.

Sonic Team are finally getting their shit together, they can't please eveyone (that's just human nature) BUT they are definitely trying very hard...compare Sonic 06 to Sonic Unleahsed, and look at that massive jump in quality.

I'm just hoping that Sonic will STOP resorting to nostalgia (Mario does it a LOT as well, I'm looking at you Super Mario 3D Land, but that's besides the point) and bring something new and fresh, like Sonic Colours.

Edited by KrazyBean14

They did that already with Sonic Colors, but people are still complaining.

...because it wasn't perfect. Nor was it as good as it could have been.

Fans only complain about things so that Sonic Team can improve upon them. If we just blindly accepted something that loosely resembled an improvement, then the Series would go nowhere fast. See Colours rectified the lack of platforming, by having a lot of it. They did not however, resolve the lack of platforming in 3D.

This is something that needs resolving in the future.

There is still room for a lot of improvement.

No one would fucking give a shit if they "rebooooooot" it.

All people want is a GOOD GAME. Rebooting the franchise is'nt the answear to this. It's a matter of how Sonic Team makes the game. If they'd stop using stupid werewolfs and potleaf-kinetic hedgehogs they would succeed in making a good game.

Oh...wait.

Sonic Colo/urs.

Sonic Generations.

There.

Sure, i would like to see a new way to play 3D-Sonic. I really do. But SEGA don't need to advertize the franchise as a reboot because of it. Especially after we've had two good games.

• Thumbs Up 2

Want different sonic continuities:

Meet sonic the whorehog:

sth197.jpg

Not enough? Well here's

the hip hedgehog, sonic the @$$hole:

Sonicthecomic.jpg

Seriously though, rebooting sonic would just piss everybody off, and will be what could ultimately kill the series. It would hurt more than help.

• Thumbs Up 2

Want different sonic continuities:

Meet sonic the whorehog:

sth197.jpg

Not enough? Well here's

the hip hedgehog, sonic the @$$hole:

Sonicthecomic.jpg

Seriously though, rebooting sonic would just piss everybody off, and will be what could ultimately kill the series. It would hurt more than help.

Edited by Ishtar
  • Thumbs Up 2

I like @$$hole Sonic. biggrin.png

Anyway, I couldn't help but notice that some were being pretty harsh towards Slash for expressing his own opinion. Yet is was that "quick to rage" attitude that was his true reason for making this topic. Don't get me wrong, I hate reboots as much as the next guy, (I'm still spitting acid over Devil May Cry.) but that's no reason to be rude or unpleasent.

On a related note I actually felt that Sonic 06 was in some way a reboot since it looked so different to other games. One obvious example would be Robotniks fugly appearance that was (thankfully.) quickly abandoned. Omegas personality and Blazes presence are two others I can think of.

I would like it if the community was abit more open minded and less stupid when it comes to Sonic related news. But I don't believe it could ever happen. If they would just shut up and go find something else to do, the rest of us could enjoy Sonic in piece.The way I avoid it is to just avoid looking up Sonic news on game websites and never read comments on articles or videos, I can hear my brain cells die just by looking at them.

Hmm...now I'm being rude and unpleasent...although in my defence, I'm actually being rude and unpleasent about people that aren't here. wink.png

Edited by Dan-imeJ86

Sure. Kill it with fire and make it a whole new, pretty much unrelated thing.

After all, it's only a 20th year old series, we can still forget about it and start anew, right ?

Oh, wait. No.

i think a reboot is very bad idea if you think in the fans of the present games and the old ones

rebooting the series is just gonna make things worst and more confusing for some fans

and who knows?

maybe something like this...

in a nutshell!:

sonic actual fanbase+reboot+sonic reboot fanbase= sonic fans flamewar

Edited by Icariokz

I don't see why a reboot is needed, whether critics acknowledge it or not, the series has gotten better since 06, so a reboot is really unnecessary. Sega can't give Sonic a break for five years, because he's their main cash cow, and they would be bankrupt without him. I don't give a shit what people are saying about the franchise and you shouldn't either, because they either have no idea what their talking about or havne't played any game post-06.

BEsides Unleashed was already kind of a reboot anyway as it completely did away with the previous style of gameplay and has stuck with it ever since.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even if repetition is an issue here, since it was a legitimate stance to make a topic on and no one's really fighting over it, it's up to the original topic creator if they want it closed.

If not then the topic will just die off on its own.

Rebooting the Sonic franchise, taking into account the already dangerous and fluctuating state that it's in at the moment, would be - without a shadow of a doubt - one of the absolute most stupid and outright idiotic decisions that Sega could possibly make to the series short of ending it altogether; the thought of twenty years worth of character, plot and environment development being flushed down the toilet for the sake of improvement that is definable as "potential" at best isn't one that I'd consider all that appealing, especially considering the current timeline tweaks that the developers are making the the Sonic saga's general backstory with Sonic 4 and Sonic Generations.

In any case, if Sega were indeed hell-bent on rebooting the franchise, it would only be advisable for them to do it from a certain point; though the classic titles and the subsequent Adventure series all have storylines that follow on from eachother consecutively and sensibly, (sans the gap where the two sub-series join, which should, in fact, be filled by the coming episodes of Sonic 4) Sonic Heroes and its canonical sequels were, in themselves, massive destructions of all of the newly-introduced character backstories and developments that were brought about in the Adventure series - from instating Shadow's hugely irritating amnesia and his subsequent lack of any real or discernible character traits other than angst, to Tails' return to being a submissively dependant yes-man, to Knuckles being stripped of any kind of mention of his enigmatic Echidnan ancestors or the Master Emerald that they entrusted him with, to Sonic himself being reduced to the emotionally under-complex and hideously joyfully uncool stereotypical "super-duper-hero" that he was never supposed to be, Sonic Heroes and everything that came after it (barring the self-erasing Sonic '06, of course) should be the only parts of the storyline that should be gotten rid of, if any at all have to be.

Edited by eXtaticus

I think this is more appropriate

sonic152.jpg

Wow, I can't believe what I'm seeing. 0_0 Archie really called Sonic a player? I didn't know they will scoop that low.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don' think the series needs a reboot. I think Sonic Generations will do a nice job of getting back to the basics and hopefully future games will follow that. At least it's experiementing with ideas unlike Mario, who hasn't gotten any bad reviews because they just seem to release the same games....over and over again.

I guess the mods can go ahead and lock this topic now. I mostly made this due to depression, but I'm feeling much better now.

I guess I just want the franchise to be respectable again so I can stop being embarassed of being a Sonic fan on other forums. sad.png

• Thumbs Up 2

You should never feel shame because you like a specific video game franchise.

Exactly. Now, people who are fans of My Little Pony, THEY are the people who should feel ashamed of themselves.

*Winkers*

Edited by Legendary Emerald