Awoo.

Best/Worst Character Design

Soniman

Yes I'm talking about the crystal form. Not sure why you ever thought I'd be referring to the puddle of goop.

Because I didn't think his crystal form was that bad, I dunno maybe I'm just stupid.

Because I didn't think his crystal form was that bad, I dunno maybe I'm just stupid.

I liked Crystal Mephiles, too. unsure.png

Mephiles.jpg

Edited by Neon
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yes I'm talking about the crystal form. Not sure why you ever thought I'd be referring to the puddle of goop.

You know I was going to say that Silver had the worst design, but since you've reminded me of that crystal hedgie I've got to say Mephiles has the worst.

I didn't think his crystal form was that bad, I dunno maybe I'm just stupid.

Well this is a topic about opinions, so it's not about you being stupid, it's about you just not agreeing with me. :P

Personally I don't like it at all. I look at it as a poorly done Shadow retread and I can't for the life of me get over him not having a mouth and a nose. That there is just plain dumb. You couldn't just add some ominous sharp teeth or something?

Edited by Chooch

I've always gotta give proper to whoever designed Rouge, Big, Storm and Vector. They're still animal characters, and although they all have unique shapes, they don't contrast with the rest of the cast like much of the Archie/SatAM/Underground/AoSTH cast do.

The no mouth thing was indeed stupid, and the way it moves in some cutscenes implies that he was supposed to have a mouth, but they never got a round to putting the image of one on his muzzle.

I've always gotta give proper to whoever designed Rouge, Big, Storm and Vector. They're still animal characters, and although they all have unique shapes, they don't contrast with the rest of the cast like much of the Archie/SatAM/Underground/AoSTH cast do.

Rouge still has the same proportions as the rest of the characters, she just has more pronounced hips, and obviously a bigger bust. Other than that she's as standard as Sonic is.

Rouge still has the same proportions as the rest of the characters, she just has more pronounced hips, and obviously a bigger bust. Other than that she's as standard as Sonic is.

She's not quite the same. The hips make a big difference, as do her thicker legs and actual shoulders. She's far more human shape than Sonic, but is still around the same height with the same size head.

I like Crystal Mephiles.. I had no problems with the no nose or mouth. Made him seem... Err.. "creepier".

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 4

I like the Crystal Meph (lolol), although I do look down on the fact that his design is partially ripped off of Shadow. Then again, if I wanna complain about that, I'll give full credit to his previous incarnation which was just a greyscaled Shadow.

The worst easily goes to American Classic Sonic.

2h8df0k.png

To tell you the honest truth the American Sonic didn't look too bad on the Sonic 1 Box art

Sonic1_box_usa.jpg

But that's just my opinion

Edited by CanofEpicSauce
  • Thumbs Up 1

To tell you the honest truth the American Sonic didn't look too bad on the Sonic 1 Box art

Sonic1_box_usa.jpg

But that's just my opinion

Japanese Classic Sonic is light-years better.

sonic03_32.png

American C.Sonic is...what is it?

Edited by Neon
  • Thumbs Up 4

Sonic, Eggman, Blaze, Knuckles and Big are the best designed characters as of right now, in my opinion. Notably the first three.

I think the current Tails is kind of odd though, because he has such a flat snout, and there's just something strange about the current shape of his entire head; muzzle, mouth placement, way the hairs stick up, ear shape, just about everything. Dunno why, it just doesn't really feel right to me. Silver's also a kind of ugly design, if not only for the fact that Silver could really use his cockatoo-spikes being streamlined back like in the earlier designs. And although I mostly like Knuckles' current look, he could also benefit from a bit of a bigger snout as well. Tails and Knuckles just both look better with bigger snouts.

I agree on many of the points here, except that Big isn't up there as a favourite for me. I do like his design though. Also one thing I'd like to add about Knuckles is his shoes. The yellow and green together has always bothered me a little. It just doesn't work entirely well with the rest of him (I feel the same way about Espio's purple shoes). I love how most of his colour scheme consists of red and white though. Another issue with the shoes is those metal plates. They remind me of Lego.

Although the overall design may lack originality, I think Shadow's is perfect doppelganger. It manages to differ enough that he is not just a recolour, but at the same time it keeps him looking like the anti-Sonic. If his design were to wonder further from Sonic's then he'd look no more like the blue hedgehog than some of the other characters. What I'm trying to say is that I think it is the best (or at least a very good) design he could have had given the constrictions placed upon it.

Also I dislike Vector's chain. It makes no f'ing sense. Seriously. He's neither a rapper (so far) nor a chav. Is it an attempt to connect him to popular music? Can't we just remove it? /nitpick

Onto the 'worst designs'... I've decided to only consider game characters, since if I venture outside of this area, I'm in danger of never leaving my computer.

The winners are...the Babylon Rogues. To keep it short, I find their designs overly complex when compared to other Sonic characters. Not by a huge amount, but enough. A few decisions seem uninspired as well, such as the majority of Wave's outfit and a few too many (small I admit) similarities that Jet and Storm share with Shadow and Big respectively. Admittedly that last part about Jet and Storm would be less of an issue if it weren't for Jet also being a rival and Storm also being the slow muscle.

The funny thing is, when I first saw Blaze, I thought she looked like a fancharacter. Now I'm fine with her.

Knuckles is just plain hot which is why he gets my vote for one of the best designed characters. He was my first man crush ever. :3

Tails is adorable and Sonic' way past cool. Eggman's great too. Honestly? I'd argue most Sonic characters' designs are good, there are very few that I can really say I dislike. At least as far as the games go anyway.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 3

The funny thing is, when I first saw Blaze, I thought she looked like a fancharacter. Now I'm fine with her.

The funny thing is, when I first saw Blaze Silver, I thought she looked like a fancharacter. Now I'm fine with her him.

Oh, here's another couple of my favourite designs- Professor Pickle and Wentos. Regardless of the rest of the humans in Unleashed (who all looked awesome btw), these two stood out as particularly interesting and funny looking, and were absolutely bursting with personality in appearance alone. Love 'em. On the subject of Unleashed, I like the way Sonic looks as a Werehog, too. Still Sonic in every way, but he definitely looks the part of brawler. If only his gameplay was as awesome as the way he looked...

Worst design? Cause I'm not sure about individual characters, I think I'll cheat and say the badniks from S4. They were the original designs plus extra lines and devoid of all expression. Lame and over-detailed. They did something similar to Modern Metal Sonic, but only accentuated what he already had. With the S4 badniks they went horribly overboard with random lines and panels.. Skip ahead to Colours/Generations and they again redesigned badniks look awesome. Added details and part changed, but they still look simplistic and not dead in the face. They're good designs.

motobugs.png

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

I love how over half the people in this topic are bitching about SatAM characters, and characters from Archie or other cartoons.

Yes, some character designs do look terrible (E.G, Rotor, Fiona, Rob.O Hedge or whatever he's called, Manic), but some of the complaints are just weird. Like how Sally's terrible because she wears no pants and because she "doesn't comply to the Sonic character design standard". NEWSFLASH! Back in 1993, there WAS no Sonic design standard. The only major characters were basically Sonic, Robotnik, Tails and Amy back then. There were similarities in their designs, but it's not like SEGA purposefully intervened if someone drew a Sonic character with different proportions or with a slightly different deisgn.

But I agree with Mephiles having a shitty design. Blue/black Shadow with crystals and demon eyes and no mouth? Okay. Grey shadow recolour with no mouth? That's pretty baaaaaaaaaad.

• Thumbs Up 3

I also dont get much of the hate for the archie characters, as some do really have cool designs. (The problem people seem to have is that they are not Sonic-y enough, but at least it helps avoid "recolor" accusations......Scourge nonwithstanding)

Edited by Soniman032-
  • Thumbs Up 1

A lot of Archie characters have great designs. Some have pretty bad designs.

My nominee for worst design goes to Rotor in season 2 of Sonic SATAM.

Edited by Teeks

Also I dislike Vector's chain. It makes no f'ing sense. Seriously. He's neither a rapper (so far) nor a chav. Is it an attempt to connect him to popular music? Can't we just remove it? /nitpick

Also I dislike Vector's chain. It makes no f'ing sense. Seriously. He's neither a rapper (so far) nor a chav. Is it an attempt to connect him to popular music? Can't we just remove it?

It's sorta kinda there for the same reason Yogi Bear wore that tie thing. It separates what would be a clumsy looking connection between the head and the body and adds a bit of visual appeal to the overall design.

I'm quite fond of how Classic Sonic looks in some of his artwork (the non-American ones anyways). Sonic's current design is pretty decent looking too.

For the designs I hate, Mephiles has to the be the one that I hate the most. He's either a goddamn recolor of a recolor, a crystallized version of a recolor, or a puddle of black goop. It just screams "Who really gives a shit?" just like the rest of Sonic 06.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's sorta kinda there for the same reason Yogi Bear wore that tie thing. It separates what would be a clumsy looking connection between the head and the body and adds a bit of visual appeal to the overall design.

I just google'd "vector no chain" and one of the first results was... a pony. >.>

But yeah, Vector needs the chain to not look weird. Unlike his Classic form, he has no specific distinction between his head and body.

I just google'd "vector no chain" and one of the first results was... a pony. >.>

Hahaha, I know right. I replied to this person on deviantart and I said, "I rather be a optimistic fool than a pessimistic idiot" and she(I'm guessing) sent me a plz account of pinkie pie.