Awoo.

Shadow and Rouge...

Rally the Cheetah

How very ironic then that at least Shadow was originally mostly popular with the younger part of the fanbase. Not that i think it really matered to Sega though, even if this was the complete opposite of the original intention with the character, since any consumer is a good consumer. tongue.png

Actually I heard Shadow garnered a sizable older fanbase as well, especially considering his impact at the time.

Actually I heard Shadow garnered a sizable older fanbase as well, especially considering his impact at the time.

Well i realize that Shadow always had a certain group of older fans as well, but the middle age of the hardcore Shadow fanbase was certainly lower than that of many other characters back in the day. Going by my own experiences of the Sonic fanbase back when i first became an active member of it back in 2003, i recall that it was very rare to come across a hardcore Shadow-fan over the age of 15 or so.

But of course, this has all changed now that the once-kid fanbase of his has grown older, and many of the people that were relatively old even at the time of his introduction has warmed up to him over the years.

Edited by batson

Well to be fair we were young when Shadow came out, but yeah like you said most of the fanboys that love Shadow were about 8-10 when he first debuted so they'd be Teenagers now worshiping his feet.

Isn't that how it is now? i mean its not like Shadow joins Sonic's merry bunch like Knuckles does even after becoming good.

I never saw a point in Shadow being a villain, even in Sa2 where he was a villain, he was doing it on the whim of his best friend who died in front him, and quickly changed his mind when he figured out what she really wanted; Other than that, he doesn't really have any motives that could be labeled evil and giving him one would completely derail his entire character arc.

Now if Shadow opposes Sonic here and there then I wouldn't mind, but not outright evil.

Edited by Chaos Walker

I mean a little less often, hence my extreme example. Perhaps about as often as he teams up with Eggman.

The tricky thing about making Shadow a villain, or at least an antogonist to Sonic, is that he's not actually evil. Part of why he was so interesting as a villain in the first place though were his motives. For that reason, he would need something like a love interest or a self-only crisis connected to how he was made in order for him to have that extra incentive to do 'bad stuff.' I think in truth I just prefer when Sonic and Shadow oppose eachother. The anti hero character loses an aspect of his coolness when he gets all chummy with the good guys. (Vegeta? Kaiba? Generic anime example #3?)

Maybe shadow would fight sonic if GUN was after sonic.

Something like Eggman uses metal sonic to steal a chaos emerald and GUN mistakes him for sonic and they send their best agent(shadow) after him. Shadow might have doubts about sonic turning evil, but he believes in GUN so....

Edited by Chaos Walker
  • Thumbs Up 2

I mean a little less often, hence my extreme example. Perhaps about as often as he teams up with Eggman.

The tricky thing about making Shadow a villain, or at least an antogonist to Sonic, is that he's not actually evil. Part of why he was so interesting as a villain in the first place though were his motives. For that reason, he would need something like a love interest or a self-only crisis connected to how he was made in order for him to have that extra incentive to do 'bad stuff.' I think in truth I just prefer when Sonic and Shadow oppose eachother. The anti hero character loses an aspect of his coolness when he gets all chummy with the good guys. (Vegeta? Kaiba? Generic anime example #3?)

I see where you're going, its not that hard to implement because:

A.Shadow isn't buddy, buddy with the heroes, and still very reluctant to hang out with them.

B: He's made it very clear that he would off Sonic if he got in his way, respect or not.

So you can take that and run with it, like redhellic said maybe Sonic did something to tick GUN off and they send Shadow to deal with him, obviously Shadow would have his doubts, but it still wouldn't stop him from stomping Sonic's face in. Shadow may not be outright evil, but he and Sonic have enough differences to warrant a conflict between the two.

Edited by Chaos Walker

My goodness, I think we are comming to a point of agreement. I've never seen this happen on a forum before. I should take a screenshot before It's too late.

Edited by Shadic93
  • Thumbs Up 1

XD ahahaha, quick put that in a spoiler thingy. I didn't know, and I don't mind, but others might be upset when they see that.

Weird how we always say 'Shadow and Rouge'. Never just Rouge. Same with Silver and Blaze. When we see Rouge, Shadows not far behind.

Yeah I've noticed that too. Think it's because all the games like to match the 2 up with one another. But it does bring about an interesting question, is Rouge a character that can stand alone or does she need Shadow around to get noticed? Yeah she's a spy and a super flirt but besides that I really can't say I pay that much attention to her. In Sonic X she was around way more than Shadow yet she still didn't seem that important of a character. She's just sorta there you know, a sort of support character or tag along. But then again I guess all the girls in the series are sorta becoming tag alongs. Cream is especially guilty as she really doesn't serve much a purpose other than being a friend for Amy and Blaze. Heck even Amy is starting to feel slapped on in the series.

THis depends, are we talking Pre-Best Wishes or Post-Best Wishes?

I'd prefer a bit of a blend between the two, to the point where they're competent, and are worthy opponents to the main team, but still have the good ole blasting off scenes here and there

Shadow and Rouge are my two favorite Sonic characters from the Sega Sonic canon so I hope that they are playable again soon. I'm tired of all this "Sonic only" crap. I also like the more serious stories that they bring to the Sonic series.

As for there partner Omega, it does look like Sega is phasing him out of the series. He didn't even make the cut for Sonic Free Riders.

Shadow and Rouge are my two favorite Sonic characters from the Sega Sonic canon so I hope that they are playable again soon. I'm tired of all this "Sonic only" crap. I also like the more serious stories that they bring to the Sonic series.

As for there partner Omega, it does look like Sega is phasing him out of the series. He didn't even make the cut for Sonic Free Riders.

Edited by Tmsp

I happen to support Shadow and Rouge as a couple. I have absolutely no problem with people having different opinions, but as long as they don't make up lies such as Knuckles/Rouge being canon and whatnot, then all's well. Heck, I don't think SEGA even wants to pair any of the characters up, since none of the Sonic pairings are considered "canon" at this point.

As for wanting more playable characters and getting tired of the whole "Sonic only" formula they've put in the last few games, I doubt it. It depends whether SEGA listens to the fans or not. But hey, we've got Sonic Generations, so you should all be happy about their decisions, not whining all the time. While I don't have problems with Sonic-only gameplay, seeing Tails follow Sonic again like in Sonic 2, Sonic 3 and Sonic Adventure would be joy for me.

I happen to support Shadow and Rouge as a couple. I have absolutely no problem with people having different opinions, but as long as they don't make up lies such as Knuckles/Rouge being canon and whatnot, then all's well. Heck, I don't think SEGA even wants to pair any of the characters up, since none of the Sonic pairings are considered "canon" at this point.

This topic has nothing to do with the pairing, I have no idea where you got the idea from you might wanna try reading the OP before you post.

• Thumbs Up 1