Awoo.

Earthquake?

Kuzu

I hope everyone is alright, i've thankfully never had to experience an earthquake, being all the way over in Nevada.

That poor chair, it had so much time left to be sat on, what a shame.

• Thumbs Up 2

Interestingly enough, I just learned that Colorado, where I live, just had an earthquake at midnight. Luckily it was a very small one, for it only caused minor damage and no injuries. Dunno if this is connected to the east coast earthquakes or not, since I'm not that science savy.

It should be noted that Colorado's quakes are so weak you can barely feel them. And I also learned that this quake was Colorado's second biggest, though that's not saying much.

Still, I hope the people in the east coast are all right.

Edited by the ORIGINAL recolor

I didn't feel anything probably because I was walking, but some people who where inside buildings said it was strong. They actually had to shut down bridges, and some people where leaving work early as well.

So that's what that was! I've never been in an earthquake before. I've lived in Kansas my whole life and we've never had any there. I live in Maryland now though, and I was about to take a nap when suddenly the whole place started shaking and paintings fell off the wall and the walls were all "whooo we're not straight anymore." ;A;

I was on the metro and bus just about 10 minutes before the earthquake happened. I wonder what would've happened had I still been on the train or something.

Edited by Mimi

I live in Maryland, and everything was flying off the bookshelves and walls.

The whole time, I had a perpetual D: look on my face as I thought my shelves was going to fall right on me.

Edited by Phantomime

My grandfather in NY called to tell us about this. He seemed surprised but he's totally fine.

Luckily it was really small. That area isn't known for earthquakes, so if it were big they wouldn't be prepared.

Isn't the East Coast usually a rare place for Earthquakes?mellow.gif

Smaller ones happen a few times a year, but this one's been called an unusually strong one for the region.

Hope everyone is ok.

Edited by Shadzter
  • Thumbs Up 3

My house shook a good deal for about a second. At first i thought it was just my brother running around upstairs or something, but then I checked Facebook and was bombarded with "EARTHQUAKE!!" everywhere.

I'm honestly surprised none of my nicknacks on my shelves moved so much as a centimeter. Shit just loves to topple over for no reason, but it all stayed put today. lol

It's good to hear that the Earthquake was very minor, and it hopefully stays minor. Maybe a bit mean of me, but I do find it a bit entertaining to hear peoples reaction to an Earthquake who might have never felt one before. While I haven't been in an Earthquake for several years, I have been in a few during my life, the most terrifying being when I was a lot younger and was in a mall with my family when suddenly the whole place started shaking and merchandise was falling off shelves and windows were breaking and such.

All the same, glad to hear everyone seems a-okay. To bad the lawn chairs weren't as lucky.

I hope everyone is safe and well!

I live about half an hour away from the epicentre. I've never felt an earthquake before, so I guess you could say I feel a little *puts on sunglasses*...

shaken up. *brick'd*

Fortunately, from what I've seen, there isn't a ton of damage. There are a few trees, fences, and signs down, and my friend's house went off its foundation, but other than that everything and everyone seems OK.

The worst part of this experience was that I could not get a hold of my friends and family for about an hour. The lines were all busy and a couple of phone towers were shut down. I felt so relieved when I finally received text messages and calls back. I am so grateful everyone I know is doing OK, and I hope all you SSMBers out there are safe as well!

Edited by BlazingTales

I'm in Atlanta. Didn't feel anything, but my aunt is calling asking us if we did which means it probably hit North Georgia.

I'm in DC, and we got rattled around a good bit. I used to live in California for a while before moving over to the east coast, so a little 5.8 quake was more of a novelty to me (I've been in some much nastier ones) but for this area it is a really big deal. My neighbors were pouring out onto the streets, some in full panic mode. It was over as soon as it started though. Some stands fell over inside the house, but no real damage was done.

Between this and the hurricane that will be bearing down on the region over the weekend, I'm getting a really bad vibe.

guys that was no earthquake, gaben just fell out of bed that's all.

fuck i just delayed episode 3 again.

Edited by Doctor Jackstraw
  • Thumbs Up 6

Yeah, I've experienced it and definitely rattled the house a bit hard that I was ready to bail outside until stopped shortly afterward. The most damage I could find was an almost empty knocked down soap dispenser in my bathroom sink.

I was at work here in Jersey and people start saying an earthquake hit New York. I know we get them, but they're like 2 power and this was bigger. Turns out it was Virginia. The people with Sprint phones lost service for a bit, but my crappy prepaid was still working. Nothing shook up in Jersey.

Edited by Dabnikz

The little girl who lives right across from me told me that the earthquake was fun and I told her no it wasn't fun. <_< The whole house shook for like 20 seconds. I thought it was a huge wind blowing at first until I saw on the news that was an earthquake. We don't get eartquakes in Philly.

I was at my doctor's office when we felt some rumbling (Long Island, btw) for about 15 seconds. No damage or accidents, but we had to evacuate as a precaution. It was interesting hearing people's initial reactions. One person outside thought she was hallucinating, one thought her legs were giving out, my doctor thought he was having a stroke, etc. It's interesting how some people jump to the conclusions that they're ill or crazy before checking if it's just them. Occam's Razor can be a bitch sometimes.

I guess I'm the only guy in VA or something. Get this. I didn't feel a single thing. I was walking around the mall and my niece comes from her job interview talking about an earthquake, and her husband and I are like "there was an earthquake?" Lots of other people in the mall felt it, but I hear no rumbling, saw no screaming, or any of that jazz.

Freakin weird I tell ya

Edited by Aquaslash

I think you're actually less likely to feel it at a lower altitude. I'm sure you've all seen those "Jell-O" simulations? Buildings are strongest at the foundation and get flimsier the higher you go, so you'd probably be more likely to feel it if you were, say, four stories or higher; you probably wouldn't feel a thing on the first or second floor- even the basement.

I was talking to a friend on Skype (he lives in NJ) earlier. We were having a productive discussion about the Kingdom Hearts series (like I said, productive) when suddenly he blurts out "What the? Holy s**t, the whole house is shaking!" He was silent for a few minutes, and I was kinda worried. Everything turned out okay, but it really shook him up. I live in TN, so I didn't feel it.

But anyway, I hope everyone's okay. It's too bad about that chair, but I'm sure it lived a good life, always being sat on...that's the life, amirite?

hope every one in the US is ok i was living in Christchurch for the September and February quakes so i know how scary it is having the ground shake under your feet. sadly here in NZ we lost more that some chairs sad.gifquake.jpg?width=300