Awoo.

The SSMB PC Troubleshooting and Discussion Thread

Velotix von Skruviktorrius

Which macbook do you have? One option would be to use bootcamp to put windows on it which actually worked decently back when i was doing it. There were a few idiosyncrasies, like the touch pad didn't work as well, but it seems like a decent option. As a fellow mac disliker-due-to-experience, this actually turned out to be a decent option for a while.

Sounds like you want a laptop, so the first thing here is how big of one are you looking for?

I've recently been looking for laptops that can handle some lightish 3D work, I found the Samsung "series 7" line of laptops that seems really appealing in terms of performance while still being pretty light. If you don't care so much about it being thin and light there are all manner of potential candidates to look at. I'm guess by the way you were looking at alienware laptops that isn't a major priority. If you're looking to get a GTX 675M I'm not familiar with that section of the market and I'm having a hard time gleaning much difference between notebooks such as those, and they're all going to be pretty expensive.

I have the latest "13 inch Intel Macbook Pro. I tried Bootcamp, it worked for a while but then it just didn't work and it wasn't very nice.

If it is any much heavier than 3.5kg, I'd really don't think I'll buy it as I am a student who might need to bring a laptop to school at times and I care bout battery life so the Samsung Series 7 doesn't really work for me.

I don't actually mind getting a PC instead but yeah, I'd rather get a laptop that is cheaper and can handle the performance I need.

Wait a minute, I checked out the below video and guess what? The M14x isn't smooth with Generations.

http://youtu.be/82Q-rL_XxHY

The M17x seems to handle it quite well but doesn't seem to be the best either (even though I'm not asking for the best).

http://youtu.be/YjMKmWlSSbI

So I think I'll scratch off the M14x due to the poor performance. The M17x still seems to be very expensive but I'll think about it.

First off, Youtube downsamples every video to 30 fps and unless he cloned the display and recorded it on another machine, that's going to take it's toll on the frame rate as well. Then I noticed that that's an older version of that laptop. The new ones come with a 650M GPU.

The series 7 gamer is a pretty heavy laptop but the normal series sevens have the same GPU as that alienware (with 2GB VRAM on at least some of them) and are under 3.5 kg. I'm not saying don't go with the alienware, but there are a lot of other options out there.

As Phos said, recording makes a big deal.

Finally found a working fix. As I promised I would upload a video when I have.

Capturing it highly brings down the FPS. also the quality you see on the video is bad compared to what I actually played in, without capturing around 40-60FPS. I just reinstalled windows 7 on it so I haven't got the latest NVidia driver yet (just the one on alienware's resource disc 367.21).

And keep in mind that you can optimize the game. Some people like to play on Max settings with lower frame rates while others want 60FPS with lower details.

As Phos said, recording makes a big deal.

And keep in mind that you can optimize the game. Some people like to play on Max settings with lower frame rates while others want 60FPS with lower details.

I just want at least 30fps 720p while recording with most details dude. I am really desperate for a PC now. I would be very happy if I wouldn't have to get an Alienware as I think it's overrated and overpriced. Now I really don't mind if it's a computer or laptop as I think my Macbook and my older Vista can be used for school. My house practically has no computers now, only laptops. The things that concern me is price, the specs and if I am gonna get a laptop, include in weight and battery life.

I'll go check out the normal series 7 and come back. Thanks for helping out Auto and Phos.

Okay, I am back after my searches. The 700Z3A, CHORONOS, Gamer, RF712, RF511, RF411, is sold at my place and yeah, I'd like if any of you would be able to compare the specs demanded by Gens and what these offer to help me find out if it is alright. Sorry, kinda stupid in these type of things.

Thanks a lot guys. biggrin.png

Edited by Faseeh

• 2 weeks later...

Alright so I want to sell my 3-4 year old laptop and get this: http://www.amazon.co...minglaptops0-20 It's got a lower price point, but I heard it's pretty good for PC gaming, I want to play the latest games yes, but I don't need it to work on the highest settings. I'm just getting into PC gaming and currently I have an xbox 360 as well, but PC=mods.

The list is here: http://www.squidoo.c...ptops-under-500

Oh I just read that laptop may not be good for research and study, which is one reason why I have my current laptop, maybe a lie. : l

Edited by Chaos the destroyer

Alright so I want to sell my 3-4 year old laptop and get this: http://www.amazon.co...minglaptops0-20 It's got a lower price point, but I heard it's pretty good for PC gaming, I want to play the latest games yes, but I don't need it to work on the highest settings. I'm just getting into PC gaming and currently I have an xbox 360 as well, but PC=mods.

The list is here: http://www.squidoo.c...ptops-under-500

Oh I just read that laptop may not be good for research and study, which is one reason why I have my current laptop, maybe a lie. : l

Edited by Danielius

• 2 weeks later...

You can try a data recovery application. Be aware that if you install the application on the actual harddrive you are attempting to recover, deleted files may be overwritten and lost permanently, so if possible, you should try to install it to a USB flash drive, connect the harddrive to another computer or something in that direction.

You could try the following application, which offers a free non-commercial edition:

You might also want to try running a so-called deep scan. It takes more time, but it will more easily detect deleted files. Good luck!

Just a heads up, i'm typing this through the Nintendo Wii's browser. So if anything messes up thats why.

Anyway I think my pc may have died. It's a Windows XP, so 10 years old. I needed a new one anyway so I may update. But I just want my files back. All my old digital art is on there as well as photos. They are important to me...

It all started last week. The pc was running slow, so I decided to delete old files and programs that I no longer use. I also ran a disk cleanup and windows update. Everything then ran smoothly. A few days later I start the computer, and it will not boot windows. It gets to the 'Packard Bell' screen with 3 options:

Esc Switch screen

F2 Bios setup

F8 Boot device

Pressing F8 gives me:

'Please select boot device':

1st floppy drive

Cd/dvd -followec by random code

Network:Realtech boot agent.

None of these boot options have worked. I tried using the master CD, it loads, then says

Error7 No hard drive!!!

n\wait2.ico

ok (as a button)

After pressing enter it says:

Computer incorrectly configured. Contact technical support.

After that i'm left with a black screen with:

Exit from OEMSETUP

C:\>_

I'm stuck... I need a new pc anyway, but I just need my files back. All of a sudden the computer claims there is no hard drive detected... It's as if it's just died.

Since we already have a pinned topic about PC help in the Computer Games section, I will move this in there for you so that more may notice your post. Hoppla, I didn't notice the topic was locked, and since you moved the post yourself, I'll post this over here. XD

As Solkia mentioned, your HDD might have simply died, which sadly happens. This can also explain why your computer was running very slow recently, even though it was temporarily resolved. I actually had this happen to me a while back. First on my laptop computer while my computer was still running, and then later that day, on my stationary computer as well, so I kinda lost some precious stuff right there, which happened to be on those two computers only. After that, I bought myself an external HDD along with a small flash drive for back-up purposes. I guess we learn from our mistakes, as judging by your text I guess you did not back-up your files either. One has to start at some point, eh?

• Although your Windows XP cannot be detected on your HDD, it might still be partially functional. You could ask someone out in the real world to help you remove the HDD and connect it to another computer (either internally, or externally by using special cables). With this in mind, Windows has a disk management tool which may be able to tell you whether a HDD is healthy, faulty, is dying etc. From here, you might be able to use Windows Explorer, like double-clicking My Computer and finding your HDD and thus might be able to navigate for your files. If this is to be the case, back them up immediately before it's too late. It might not even show up, which is the worst sign of all.

• If the HDD indeed is completely dead, I would say the only safe way left to recover your files is by visiting a professional HDD data recovery firm. Professionals can take dead units to a laboratory environment and carefully extract the data by removing physical disks and using advanced tools. This is quite expensive though, so it depends how much you really would want your files.

The loss of important personal or project files is very devastating. Let this be a reminder to always perform back-ups so that one is not only relying on a single storage unit. Look for small flash drives or external HDDs, they're not as expensive these days. I wish you the best of luck and hope you regain access to your files. =)

• 2 weeks later...

the Sonic Riders demo runs on my PC just fine, but the full game gives me problems as the launcher you install the game from closes when I click "Install Game"? What the hell?

Bit annoying to be quite honest. Anyone know what the problem might be? (The PC can more than handle it, here are my specs for those who are curious.)

Running Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit Edition)

Processor (CPU): INTEL IVYBRIDGE Core i5 3570K (Quad Core)

STANDARD CLOCK SPEED = 3.4Ghz Per Core

OVERCLOCKED SPEED = 4.6Ghz Per Core* Per Core

Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z77-D3H With Z77 Chipset

2xPCI-E (16x), 3xPCI(1x) & 2xPCI & 32GB RAM Support

PATRIOT 32GB DDR3 1866Mhz Viper Xtreme Gaming Ram

Hard Drive: CRUCIAL M4 128GB SATA3 - 6Gb/s SOLID STATE (SSD)

SEAGATE 2TB (2000GB) SATA3 - 6Gp/s

Optical Drive: LG BLU-RAY COMBO Drive, Blu-Ray Reader & DVDRW In One

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD7950 3GB

Direct X11 & Pixel Shader 5 With Multiple DVI & HDMI Outputs

Realise that post is a week old, but maybe the game doesn't play nice with windows 7?

You could always try running the installer in windows XP compatibility mode.

Yeah, never an easy task to deal with technology. If what Remz said did not work (you can try that by right-clicking the launcher file, clicking Properties and selecting the Compability tab), you could try to manually elevate the executable with administrative privileges.

Older software are sometimes not compatible with User Account Control, new in Windows Vista and Windows 7, and thus cannot request permission to install the game. Installing games and software often requires elevation in these operating systems, and if the application does not know how to prompt for consent, the installation may terminate, sometimes without notice. To manually start the launcher with elevated privileges, right-click the launcher, and then click Run as Administrator.

If this does not get you anywhere, where are you attempting to install from? Is the source a disc, package or folder containing a lot of setup files and subfolders? If so, look for other executable files. Perhaps you can locate and manually run a setup file which otherwise should have started automatically when clicking "install" on the launcher itself.

I know this is late, but better late than never, yush? I hope any of this helps. Good luck!

The most often the case is that you need to "Run as administrator..". I had such trouble with few games and programs. They didn't function or functioned inproprely. Compatability mode is often an answer too. But for example Sim City 4 is extremely "laggy" on my Windows 7, though PC is really more than enough powerful for that game. Also compatibility mode isn't working. That's why I have a spare Windows XP on PC for old stuff, as some run more smoothly on old systems.

Another problem could be... it is cracked (illegal version).

It's a bit late, but I hope that you already found a solution to your problem.

Okay, I read ^DiZnEy^ reply after I wrote my... Just do what he says xD

Edited by Danielius

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm stuck without a computer for the moment, and I've got a fair bit of money to spend on a new one. I live in the dorms here on campus, but I can't stay on weekends, and I can't stay on holidays. (And there tend to be a fair many holidays around here; (Fall Break [2 days], Thanksgiving Break [Week and a half], Winter Break [3 weeks or more!])

Money isn't quite an issue per se, but value is. I'm not looking to get ripped off (Who is?) by paying $2599 for a laptop thats equivilant to a $1300 desktop or so. Thoughts? I have a build thrown together at the moment at around $1700 in my Newegg cart that suits all my needs. Desktop, of course.

I am sitting here, typing this in a college with my laptop while chatting with friends.

So you know which one I'll say.

Edited by Morpheus

You can get a pretty damn good, powerful laptop that will play new games with everything on for half that, if that is the issue.

As long as you're not expecting to be using your laptop for some higher caliber workplace practice a $2599 laptop should be all-purpose enough to support your needs and it's a great thing to have at college or uni. Most laptops these days have enough power to run the likes of Crysis 2 with DX11 support so performance isn't an issue unless you seek updating components frequently. Although that's not something you'll have to worry about for the next few years.

When looking at a computer you need to look at 4 different things- Processor, Memory (ram), Hard drive and Graphics. Desktop vs Laptop- Memory/ Ram, Storage and Graphics can be upgraded but the processor can't. A deskptop would seem a more likely option but unless it's got a decent processor (Intel/ ARM) it won't beat a decent laptop.

If money isn't an issue I would recommend getting a MacBook Pro. Something like that is going to give you more power and life than an ordainary desktop or laptop. Laptop would be my advice as it's easy enough to take with you- especially if you'rs having issues with it- have you tried taking your desktop in to be repaired? :P

(I work in a computer store)

We have a topic in the Computer Games section for PC discussion and troubleshooting, so I merged your topic with it so that more PC-knowledgeable members might notice.

If you have to move around a lot, I recommend purchasing a laptop. I am sure portable computers these days have the potential to be just as good performers as desktop computers, especially if you do not mind paying that little bit extra. I personally only bought laptops the last fourteen years. The nice thing about portable computers, or at least most of them, is that you can hook them up to a monitor or TV, keyboard and mouse, just as you would any desktop computer. In a way, you would then have a desktop computer when at the dormitory, and when going somewhere, you could just unplug the computer and carry it with you in a case. Desktop computers may come cheaper and be better suited for stationary purposes, but then you also lose the (easy) portability and the ability to use it anywhere by running on battery power. It depends what you want to go for the most. ^^

Edited by Diz
Topic Merge: Desktop VS Laptop, for college. -> The SSMB PC Troubleshooting and Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

So I might finally replace my stupid Macbook Pro... It just isn't the right fit for me, sorry.

So it's gonna be either the Samsung Series 7 Chronos or something along that power... It can handle games and all that at the same power as some Alienware stuff and it's much cheaper. I sure hope this can run Sonic Generations well. :3 If you guys want to suggest something which has about the same amount of power as this, do tell me. biggrin.png

samsung_series7.jpg

Edited by Faseeh

How taxing would a Gamecube ROM be on a computer with these specs?

Processor: Intel Core i5 CPU 650@ 3.20Hz

RAM: 8 GB

638 GB out of 918 GB available space

GPU: NVIDIDA Geforce 8800 GT

How taxing would a Gamecube ROM be on a computer with these specs?

Processor: Intel Core i5 CPU 650@ 3.20Hz

RAM: 8 GB

638 GB out of 918 GB available space

GPU: NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GT

I don't know about the GC one, but i know the PS2 emulator (if you own a PS2, like me) can be pretty taxing with a weak PC just to get smooth 60fps.