Awoo.

If you were the boss off Sonic Team and were told to reboot Sonic, what would you do?

thedude2011

Call the next game Sonic Adventure 3 and load it with generic alternate gameplay so that it'd get mountains of worship and fanboys would scream that Sonic is back.

I'm fine with what they're doing now, but if I was forced to, I'd expand on the universe that the characters live in a good bit more.

Here, let me borrow the name "Planet Freedom" from the Sonic OVA; an alternate Earth very similar to our own, but with it's own crazy fantastical twists. On this planet, we have the same continents, some even with the same names, although nearly everything else in the world is named different (such as cities and other civilizations), and usually the world's different areas are what the world's populace claims as "Zones". The world's geography, land formations and history is binded within the mythology of the Chaos Emeralds and how they bring life to all creatures in the world and are impenetrable. In this case, imagine the mysteries and crazy happenings related to all the islands in the original games' JP instruction manual stories (such as South Island's strange nomadic nature and the like).

The entire planet's population is either of the three: Unleashed-style humans, anthropomorphic characters akin to the main cast, and the small animals. Humans and animals are usually in completely different environments from each other, while anthropomorphs mingle between both (just like Sonic and the rest of the main cast), because they can equally communicate with both. No, this doesn't mean that Sonic and other anthropomorphs (don't know a better name to call them) can make animal noises, but they just have an easier time communing with little critters than the humans.

tl;dr - named Planet Freedom, more emphasis on the legends and "mysteries" set by the Chaos Emeralds and likewise in S1-S3K and Chaotix; balance of animals, humans and Sonic-character anthros, geography proves it's an alternate Earth with more fantastical twists added.

Beyond that, I don't really know what to do with a reboot of some sort. And that's not really a reboot either; that's mostly just an expansion, if anything.

I really like Diogenes' ideas on SA2-ShTH, though. I had an idea for Nextgen that was similar to his as well, and it's quite in detail, but I can't find where I posted it at the moment. I'll post it later in the topic if I come to finding it.

I would also say that if I went all-out on a reboot, I'd be making an alternate canon of Sonic featuring the aesthetic and character redesigns invented by the wonderful Vantoggle.

That's what Mobius is. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

That's what Mobius is. smile.gif

Which Mobius?

AoStH, SatAM, Archie, Fleetway, US game canon?

Some additions:

1 ) Make it known not just that GUN was framing Sonic because they wanted Shadow's existence and actions to remain confidential (and not because they couldn't tell the difference), but that Shadow was in fact created because of inspiration by the Hidden Palace mural in S3K. Gerald runs into it by accident whilst digging and researching throughout Angel Island, finding information about the Chaos Emeralds and how their powers could help cure the NIDS disease that had overtaken his granddaughter, Maria. Instead of interpreting it as a prophecy of Super Sonic and Death Egg Robo duking it out in the Doomsday Zone, he instead believes it as a prophecy of himself holding out his arms towards a glowing hedgehog; a creation of his own made from the Chaos energy, as the cure to NIDS. He then, with that in mind, proceeds to attempt creating "The Ultimate Lifeform" while also working on the Space Colony ARK. The story in the SA2 JP manual continues from there. (realize how I removed any indication of Black Doom and the Blackarms' existence in this.. let's just forget they were ever thought up)

2 ) Allow Knuckles to keep the Master Emerald within the Hidden Palace, so he can go and do other things with his life. I understand that the M.E. sits on the Altar in SA1 because that was it's original location, but does that really make any difference? Besides, if anyone uses the excuse that Robotnik knows the location of the Hidden Palace now after visiting it in S3K, realize that it's only because he followed Knuckles path the whole way. Otherwise, the Hidden Palace is now blockaded by a now-active volcano (Lava Reef / Red Mountain (?)), and a whole barrage of boulders that guarantees no entrance.* Knuckles should be able to transport to and from the HPZ within seconds for easy access, using Super Ring portals much like how they've been doing in the Archie comics lately. With that, and that Knuckles can sense disturbances in the force the Master Emerald from afar, even if someone did manage to break into the HPZ, Knuckles could just quickly teleport there in a jiffy and take care of business. (* - The avalanching and reactivation of the volcano would occur after the Death Egg lands right atop, and ascends from above Lava Reef; thus before then it was a good bit easier (albeit still difficult) to enter HPZ for Gerald. Even so, he ran into the place on accident, so there's no telling how/where he entered.)

That's what Mobius is. smile.gif

Eh, not really. 'Mobius' automatically makes me associate it with Freedom Fighters, the Kingdom of Acorn, overdomination of anthropomorphs, overly abundant amounts of echidna civilizations, overconvolution, and things like that. I'm mostly just suggesting a more unified variation of the current SegaSonic universe.

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 4

SatAM And Archie.

SatAM has a total of one human being who is a transcendent android and another who is a deformed elfish wizard, while Archie has more of a blend of humans and animals. And even then, Archie's universe is a massive wreck that took a huge shift after the late 90's to adapt to the Adventure story arc, where most of the humans appeared. From a surface standpoint, Azukara does point towards a more Archie-esque setting, but once you scratch the surface, the Archie storyline is far more complicated than what he's proposing.

Before we even got an idea for a specific game and its theme, I'd be like, "Okay guys. Boost gameplay is fine and all, and you're getting better at it, but Sonic still tends to control like balls at low speeds. This wouldn't be a problem if every stage were like Windmill Isle Act 2, but it's obvious you guys still have a little bit of fondness for platforming since you made Eggmanland. Throw the boost out of your mind for now and think- if Sonic didn't have it and was relegated to a slower top speed, how would he- this tiny, acrobatic animal, control?" And they'd go to make test rooms, and I'd make sure that hog had some precision that would make Mario blush.

Then we'd start looking at other characters, because hell, this is the Sonic series. Another character has been available for play since 1992, and I'd tell them abandoning that tradition was one of the dumbest decisions they could've ever made in their effort to claw their way back to the top, especially in the face of short-sighted complaints. Fuck those people; they don't know what they're talking about. Tails and Knuckles would be the main guinea pigs considering they're recognizable and have extra abilities. Other characters would come in for the highly-demanded direct sequel.

And with all the labor and money I had splurged achieving the above, that would mean we would be apt to show it off and make it a good investment, so looking at SA1 style design would probably be best for some inspiration. If my memory isn't failing me, speed traps generally acted as roads and had a tendency to lead you into these large chambers where you had to platform- either horizontally or vertically, or sometimes both- to get to the next one. It's still a suitable design dynamic, not too far off from what the classics did, so that would be fine to use and expand upon.

I would also tell them- You will not be placing Tails or Knuckles in Sonic's stages like Lazybones. Ask yourselves: Is either character blue and can achieve supersonic speeds on foot? No? Then that means they're not Sonic, meaning they don't belong in his damn stages. You can reuse assets if characters are merely to split up in different areas, but you will reuse those assets in a way that makes their specific levels a unique experience and a means to push their inherent abilities to the limit. Otherwise- as usual- people will be inclined to do a lot of flying and gliding over the levels. I wager they'd both be facing a lot of vertical levels, especially Knuckles considering his digging ability.

Now we can make a game. Get the Unleashed and Colors writers in early and allow them to sit in on the art and programming departments so they're not just creating a sparse narrative on the back end of the game's development, firstly. Second, since this game is a reboot, that means it needs to be fairly straightforward- Eggman's doing some shit with his robots and it's up to Sonic to stop him. No monsters this time; we can save that bit of fun for later. Just your basic Sonic locales culminating in a fight in the sky or deep space. Now have fun with that kids. But don't forget, test the collision of that shit like your life depended on it.

Then the game would release and you all would play it and be like, "Whoa man, this is like, an awesome game!" And Sonic would return to being a media sensation. And I'd be sitting on a hill at sunset nodding like, "Yeah... the world is alright now."

If I were to reboot the Sonic Franchise. I would recreate Each Game. But improved with a better storyline. Starting with the classics. Then to the Adventure Series, to Modern games. I would also include elements from other continuity's like the comics. (Similar to GENESIS going on right now in the Comics) But the Game characters would stay as the Main focus. I'd also recreate Tails Adventure and Knuckles Chaotix. And Basically creating a Unified storyline.

Moving onto Gameplay. After all that with recreating the past games. (Especially Sonic 2006) I'd keep other playable characters.

Sonic would still have his Unleashed gameplay (If he went back to spindashing, that means he got weaker). And like how Sonic's unleashed gameplay style has emphasis on Speed. Other CHaracters like Tails and Knuckles will have gameplay emphasizing their main skills. Tals gameplay will include Flying , Technology, Like Bombs, And something to do with Electricity.

Knuckles gameplay would emphasize Exploration and Fighting. Obviously.

And I'd make sure that Their are NO COMPLAINTS!!!!!!!!

I'm fine with what they're doing now, but if I was forced to, I'd expand on the universe that the characters live in a good bit more.

Here, let me borrow the name "Planet Freedom" from the Sonic OVA; an alternate Earth very similar to our own, but with it's own crazy fantastical twists. On this planet, we have the same continents, some even with the same names, although nearly everything else in the world is named different (such as cities and other civilizations), and usually the world's different areas are what the world's populace claims as "Zones". The world's geography, land formations and history is binded within the mythology of the Chaos Emeralds and how they bring life to all creatures in the world and are impenetrable. In this case, imagine the mysteries and crazy happenings related to all the islands in the original games' JP instruction manual stories (such as South Island's strange nomadic nature and the like).

The entire planet's population is either of the three: Unleashed-style humans, anthropomorphic characters akin to the main cast, and the small animals. Humans and animals are usually in completely different environments from each other, while anthropomorphs mingle between both (just like Sonic and the rest of the main cast), because they can equally communicate with both. No, this doesn't mean that Sonic and other anthropomorphs (don't know a better name to call them) can make animal noises, but they just have an easier time communing with little critters than the humans.

tl;dr - named Planet Freedom, more emphasis on the legends and "mysteries" set by the Chaos Emeralds and likewise in S1-S3K and Chaotix; balance of animals, humans and Sonic-character anthros, geography proves it's an alternate Earth with more fantastical twists added.

Beyond that, I don't really know what to do with a reboot of some sort. And that's not really a reboot either; that's mostly just an expansion, if anything.

I really like Diogenes' ideas on SA2-ShTH, though. I had an idea for Nextgen that was similar to his as well, and it's quite in detail, but I can't find where I posted it at the moment. I'll post it later in the topic if I come to finding it.

I would also say that if I went all-out on a reboot, I'd be making an alternate canon of Sonic featuring the aesthetic and character redesigns invented by the wonderful Vantoggle.

Call them Mobians. I'ts much easier to remember. and Say.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would mix a bunch of elements from all the Sonic cannons to make kind of a compromise for everybody. For example, maybe Sonic and friends could live on Mobius, a planet with antromorphs and humans, and he fights Doctor Robotnik, a evil tyrant with a penchant for robotics and technology, who has already taken over his home city, New Mobotropolis, and turned it into Robotropolis, his base of operations.

As for gameplay, i really don't have any ideas. I think that they are going in a good direction right now, with the Unleashed gameplay

Its hard to come with something unique these days you know. And this WOULD be unique for series.

*cough*SatAM*cough*

Reboot? Alright.

The first 3 hours of the game are spent as Dr. Robotnik, a zooligist who recently adopted a hedgehog, a fox, and an echidna, these hours will be spent feeding the animals, bathing them, and at the end of the day, injecting them with human cells. On the 4th hour, the hedgehog opens his cage, he frees the echidna and fox aswell. The 3 animals start turning more human, growing thumbs, height, and they learn English for some reason too. They confront Robotnik at the middle of the night, and rip his cells out and inject them into animals. The man against animal war has begun.

President Sonic, Lieutenant Tails, and General Knuckles infiltrate the human base, this part of the game is a first person shooter, where you'll play as Sonic and use you'll rip off your spikes and stab them into people's eye sockets. If you have two friends, you can rip people's hearts out with Knuckles' giant fists and Tails can build a turret.

Fuck, I have NO clue where I am going with this. Probably because I don't think the series needs a reboot.

Edited by SuperClassic
  • Thumbs Up 7

Hmm if I would reboot the series:

• Big, Marine, and the babylon rogues would cease to exist

As for the games:

• Sonic 1,2,3&k,and Cd would stay the same

• Adventure would stay the same. Big would cease to exist in this game though

• Adventure 2 stays the same

• Heroes: the characters wouldn't say stuff like "I'll take from here!" or "Here we go!" every single time you switch. Team roses power member would probably be someone like G-Mel I guess.

• Shadow: Basically a big rewrite without the whole retarded alien thing. There would be no unecessary swearing or weapon using or vechile riding.

•06: again, a giant re write, absolutely no Elise. Sonic, Shadow and Silver are the only ones playable instead of an overload of 9 playable characters.

• Unleashed: No werehog. Other than that it stays the same

• Colors: Fine as it is. But I'd have Amy and Metal Sonic show up at least.

Edited by Johnny Boy

I'm not really sure how exactly to do this, but hell with it:

First off, get rid of tunnel platforming (Unleashed/Colors level design) and the boosting, and open the levels up more. In Unleashed, he felt like he had 3 speeds: Not moving, Jogging, and YOU'RE TOO SLOW, and the level design seemed to favor the last notch on the dial. I would like more control of the game, even if that meant slowing him down. I'd like to make it more open and allow freedom rather than make him feel like a car driving down a race track (Hell, he can even drift). Sonic Adventure is a good example of open level design, but I'm not saying there absolutely cannot be straightaways.

Second, have a decent amount of characters to play as (6-3), though I would start out small, as Sonic Team seems to be getting too used to Sonic only (with tiny or drastic changes), and I wouldn't like the characters to be treated as if they were the same as him. Don't flip out all over genres, either. Have similar gameplay to Sonic, but make them different. Make them feel like their own character. Tails can fly, give him this ability in-game and routes that suit this ability, and shortcuts that challenge them about their skill, such as flying up and down through obstacles and not being able to see the exit. Knuckles can glide and dig: Give him routes that require gliding, and hidden areas and shortcuts that require digging (i.e. dig through a side of a cliff, come into a mineshaft) to access. Amy has a god damn hammer bigger than her torso and head; make her be able to hit enemies into switches to activate REALLY good shortcuts, or some such thing. The deal is, fix the gas pedal, get better handling, but don't fry the clutch.

Third, have characters react to each other casually in cutscenes- Hell, get a cutscene viewer, make it so that when you get a certain score on a level, you unlock unnecessary cutscenes the game doesn't make you watch because they're not that important to the immediate story or its advancement relating to it that level that are essentially Sonic: The Sitcom which can be about something worth discussing ("Hey Sonic, where do all the Chaos Emeralds go every time after you beat Eggman?") or something completely unrelated ("This horse chick tried painting something on my LEFT ASS CHEEK on the way here, while mumbling "ONE OF US... ONE OF US..." Tails, do you have any clue what was with that woman?").

Four, it's necessary that a character with a decent fanbase packing gets an appearance once in a while, but don't do it entirely for fan service and make sure they have something to do with the plot. Don't pull another Blaze-in-'06 again. This time, get logical and explain how they got there, within the same game.

Five, DON'T STOP MAKING GOOD MUSIC. The one universally favored thing about the Sonic franchise is that the soundtrack is great, if all else fails, don't lose that.

As for the story and characters? We've well established them well enough, I wouldn't want to toss it all in the trash. This is to say I would not like some things thrown in the trash, but regardless, the story for this new game of my description would start with ballistic shit missiles hitting fans around the globe when Eggman decides it is a good idea to shatter a Chaos Emerald and deposit all its energy in a massive battery inside his secret lair, which he will kickstart a couple (hundred) factories all around the world. And then he breaks down a second one, which he uses to power a machine that warps reality in massive jolts. This brings a lot of people to the playing field pretty quickly, especially when Shadow comes along saying "What the heck Eggman, GUN's guns blow up in their hands like Glocks." and Knuckles comes flying in saying "WHAT THE FLYING FUCK ARE YOU GUYS DOING OVER HERE?! THE MASTER EMERALD IS PURPLE. PURPLE! AND IT STARTED ATTACKING ME WHAT THE HELL." So after the cooky cooperating shenanigans and fixing the Chaos Emeralds, Sonic and the gang restore reality to what it once was.

Edited by Mr.Awesomest

Okay, so now we're gonna reboot Sonic's gameplay?

Take everything Generations' modern stages and gameplay is currently doing, but replace the boost with classic Sonic's Spindash. Maybe a little bit less hallways, more downhill rolling acceleration, and an Advance 2 styled momentum-boost. Sound good? Sounds good.

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 2

If I were to reboot Sonic here's what I would do:

First the games continuity:

Sonic 1 through SA2: keep the same. I'll make a few alterations here and there, but there's not much I would want to do here.

Sonic Heroes: add more to the story, make characters start at different levels instead of the same one, and do some serious restructuring of the gameplay so that things aren't so repetitive. Alter the story for Shadow showing how he survived the last game, a simple falling from the earth's atmosphere or something along that line will do.

ShTH: NEVER HAPPENED. If it HAS to happen, then I would retcon it by making the Black Arms non-existent and start from scratch there. Also, NO GUNS! I'm okay with vehicles, but no guns. Replace those with other Chaos Powers. And no cussing. If this game wants to be dark, it can do it without trying to be a wannabe of games that are rated M for Mature audiences.

Sonic 06: Hire Diogenes and let him lead in remaking the plot. That's such a mess even I'm going to have trouble touching.

Sonic Chronicles: Make it canon, alter the script and the story and make Shade more interesting as a character.

Sonic Unleashed: Get rid of the werehog and create something else that can go with the Night and Day motif.

Sonic Colors: ...Not sure what to do here.

For the Characters:

-Working in progress -

I'll cover this in a latter post.

If that happens I will not touch or look at a Sonic game again.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

Really? That's it?

Sorry, I don't put too much thought it my posts and when I do it usually takes a long time for me to reply. And also, it'll probably wouldn't be too good anyways.

Hire Diogenes
I support this idea, and also believe it is the solution to all of Sonic's problems.

So since some people are talking about gameplay, and I framed my post as if they were going to redo every major game in the series, I figure I'll talk a bit about gameplay too.

Sonic 1/2/CD and 3&K: Mostly the same as before, though with the former inheriting S3&K's improvements, plus give Sonic a walljump and that run button I'm always rambling about. Also unlock Amy in both games after some undecided accomplishment. Maybe Knuckles in the former as DLC packaged with the latter, as a nod to lock-on.

Sonic Adventure: All characters share the same basic gameplay. Something along the lines of Sonic Freerunner or Sonic GDK; proper Sonic physics in 3D. Knuckles would have an emerald shard instead of a goal ring (and yes goal rings instead of egg prisons it's annoying to have to jump on the level-ending-object). Big would have Froggy at the end of his, and focus on muscling his way through obstacles. Gamma would be less clunky and while he'd still have his gun he wouldn't be required to shoot things to gain time.

Sonic Adventure 2: Sonic, Shadow, Knuckles, and Rouge would play the same as Sonic and Knuckles in SA, above. Tails and Eggman are harder to figure out; I want to keep the original game's symmetry, but I don't want clunky mechs, and Eggman is one of the few characters that I can't really see doing Sonic gameplay. Maybe make their gameplay more focused on flying, shooting, and more subdued Sonic platforming (not going down to basic square platforming, but not so many crazy loops as normal Sonic stuff), give them both blasters (Tails had a blaster in Battle, and it's par for the course for Eggman) and give Eggman a jetpack to keep up with Tails' tails. Now that I think about it, it's basically what I'd do with Gamma, plus some vertical flight (and then who knows maybe I'd give Gamma vertical flight too).

Sonic Heroes: As I said before, 2-man teams rather than 3-man teams. Basic gameplay's the same as above (and from here on I'll assume that you'll assume this, unless I state otherwise), with a switch character button and a team action button. Switch button switches who is leading/who you're controlling, team action calls your partner in to use their ability (for example, when playing as Sonic, you'd call Tails in for him to fly-carry you. When Tails is leading, maybe it's a spindash?).

ShtH: No guns, and vehicles no more than any other Sonic game (that is, in the same way Sonic will grab a hang glider or a bobsled for some short level-appropriate action). Instead the game expands on his chaos powers, with Chaos Spear as a projectile attack, Chaos Control...hm, I can't decide between time-slowing or teleporting...though maybe it can be both, turning it on slows time and also lets him access teleportation rifts. Also maybe some other powers, I dunno. People are going to say Chaos Blast but I don't intend him to spend that much time fighting dudes and he's already got the Spear, so. Maybe Rouge and Omega could be playable too (I say this largely because this would be the game that introduces Omega; I don't want him to just be a plot character, and I don't want to cut him either). Rouge would be more agile and have gadgets rather than chaos powers, and Omega would be the walking arsenal as per usual.

'06: Blaze plays like Sonic, but with a fire-based boost (weaker than the current one). I'm not sure what direction to take Silver's powers; PK ThrowShit can be fun but between physics wonkiness and having to find things to throw it's not great to rely on, so it might be good to give him some sort of psychic punch either to replace or in addition to the lift-and-throw. I don't even know what to do with Mephy.

Unleashed: Werehog's slower than Sonic, but in the same way Knuckles and Tails are. Very little combat, more focused on climbing and swinging (more physics-based, if possible; I'd like to be able to loop it on a swinging pole instead of doing a scripted back-and-forth).

Colors: Uh...pretty much just add wisps to the gameplay established above.

• Thumbs Up 7

First the games continuity:

Sonic 1 through SA2: keep the same. I'll make a few alterations here and there, but there's not much I would want to do here.

Sonic Heroes: add more to the story, make characters start at different levels instead of the same one, and do some serious restructuring of the gameplay so that things aren't so repetitive. Alter the story for Shadow showing how he survived the last game, a simple falling from the earth's atmosphere or something along that line will do.

ShTH: NEVER HAPPENED. If it HAS to happen, then I would retcon it by making the Black Arms non-existent and start from scratch there. Also, NO GUNS! I'm okay with vehicles, but no guns. Replace those with other Chaos Powers. And no cussing. If this game wants to be dark, it can do it without trying to be a wannabe of games that are rated M for Mature audiences.

I can fully stand behind every bit of this, although I'm willing to change Heroes a good chunk more than that. Possibly with my idea for the storyline I had that while back. It's a bit rough at the moment though, so I may spend some time refining it before posting.

I'm also more supportive of ShTH just not happening, and Shadow being shown alive at the very very last second of SA2 in a subtle manner, just so we can skip the drama in the future games. :P

Sonic 06: Hire Diogenes and let him lead in remaking the plot. That's such a mess even I'm going to have trouble touching.

May I do the honors of writing down my alternative as well? His is great, but I may be able to simplify it a good bit more, whilst making it more unique than the original. May need to do like the Heroes redux though, and refine it as well.

Sonic Unleashed: Get rid of the werehog and create something else that can go with the Night and Day motif.

How about instead of dumping the Werehog, make him just about about 3/4ths as fast as Sonic, with a much-quicker-draining "piledrive" boost that makes him go daytime Sonic's full bare running speed? Then make his grabbing moves more of a focus by making them Ristar-esque and about headbutting into enemies (which would make this the vertical attack, thus on Y), and your standard sliding/crouching moves on B? Heck, the Werehog could even homing attack like he automatically grabs/headbutts in midair!

..That would've been a much better way to do the Werehog.

I see someone's been thinking long and hard about this. laugh.gif

So, in other words, you're saying you accept the idea under the circumstances I just wrote out? About time! laugh.gif

But really, yeah, I did think alot about it; and that came off to me as the best solution. Besides, I would love to see Knuckles in-game flip out a little golden ring, only for it to expand and transfigure into a large and glowing technicolored palace portal.

I wouldn't say get rid of the Werehog altogether because it is an interesting concept, I would just make it faster paced is all that way people wouldn't complain about him being slow.

May I do the honors of writing down my alternative as well? His is great, but I may be able to simplify it a good bit more, whilst making it more unique than the original. May need to do like the Heroes redux though, and refine it as well.

Go for it. Sonic 06 was such a mess, you have to completely overhaul most of it.

How about instead of dumping the Werehog, make him just about about 3/4ths as fast as Sonic, with a much-quicker-draining "piledrive" boost that makes him go daytime Sonic's full bare running speed? Then make his grabbing moves more of a focus by making them Ristar-esque and about headbutting into enemies (which would make this the vertical attack, thus on Y), and your standard sliding/crouching moves on B? Heck, the Werehog could even homing attack like he automatically grabs/headbutts in midair!

..That would've been a much better way to do the Werehog.

If you want to keep the Werehog and make it more than the slow-paced GoW fighting and make it more fast paced, I'm up for it and all ears.

So, in other words, you're saying you accept the idea under the circumstances I just wrote out? About time! laugh.gif

But really, yeah, I did think alot about it; and that came off to me as the best solution. Besides, I would love to see Knuckles in-game flip out a little golden ring, only for it to expand and transfigure into a large and glowing technicolored palace portal.

Makes a good contingency idea, and is a lot better than writing the ME out of existence so he can hang around or having him put it in his pocket for the same outcome and keeps Knuckles alert of someone trying to steal the ME or invade the island. You jump those three hurdles and the only thing left for me to pick at is it's potential.

And it helps when there is more thought to it than simply taking the easy way out. It may be too much like Archie, but Archie has much better use of it's overly-massive cast unlike Sonic Team's smaller cast by comparison.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I guess i would try to bring the aesthetics (both the environments and character designs) closer to the classic look. I dont understand why Sega went and re-imagined the look of the series so much in the first place.

As for gameplay and stories, my opinions about these things shift so often that i know that if i write some suggestion about it now, i will probably regret it in just a few days... I will say this though: less boost!

Edited by batson

How would I reboot Sonic?

First I would go all the way back to Sonic 1, introducing Sonic and Eggman as the two main characters, from there the next stop would be Sonic CD, introducing Amy Rose (in her current look) as well as Metal Sonic, who from time to time would actually fight you in a similar way to Gmerl, before the climatic race where Sonic rescues Amy (and unlocking her as playable with her advance 1 gameplay). From there the next stop would be the events of Sonic 2, showing how Sonic first meet Tails (and instantly unlocking him as playable, with a few extra moves to avoid making him an exact copy of Sonic and make him more interesting). Next would be the events from S3&K, which introduces Knuckles, who this time would be a bit more aggressive in his ambush tactics as well as giving him new techniques to make him a more dangerous opponent in that final confrontation (after defeating him he would be unlocked). A few little details I would like to add to the temple where he keeps the ME is making it look as if it was visited before by GUN researchers, with emphasys on a statue that resembles Super Sonic as a hint of the next character to be introduced.

At least that is how I would handle an introduction before going into the Adventure games. Another think I would put lots of emphasys is in making each character unique and balanced in his gameplay, avoiding as much as possible the lazy route of making them "Sonic with a couple skills added". as well as making Sonic "the guy who only runs fast" (Also since GUN would be part of it, I would make it resemble a bit more the UN Spacy just to please my inner fanboy)

I never thought the games needed one of these, since Sonic Team allready seems pretty good at ignoring past story tones and adding random new gameplay, but... sure. Why not?

THE CAMERA

The game would be played almost exclusively in 3D, save a spot or two where it might seem appropriate. As you enter areas the camera would jump to a predetermined angle, and you cannot personaly adjust the camera at all. My thought there is that you won't need to adjust it because you are allready seeing everything you could possibly need to. This saves us from the screwy camera stuff from the adventures, and also allows objects to be 'hidden' by the camera angle by simply placing them behind things.

LEVEL DESIGN

I would capitalize on using Sonic's speed not merely as a mode of traversing a plane, but also for exploration and opening paths. I would be bringing back things like breakaway walls, and I would be adding a whole plethora of curved surfaces, some even on the ceilings and walls, jutting out of places, and a few that launch you to other paths/ platforms. I also will be wanting objects that require Sonic to use his shape/ abilities to use. For example, a door that is held shut with a treadmill lock, or using his spindash to turn gears.

NEED FOR SPEED

I also recognize the thrill of the gameplay style that Unleashed introduced, which unfortunately seems incompatible with the classic platforming forumula without dumbing it down alot. Instead, I would introduce areas where Sonic's control style changes in slight, much like was done in Sonic colors. Here the level design will focus on reaction times, and getting to the next check point before something gets you. These would be initiated by a 2-3 second cinematic, such as sonic watching as a piece of mountain break off and roll after him. During the cinematic players would be allerted on screen that play style is changeing in slight.

CONTROLLS

Sonic will be moved with a stick, have a jump button, and a crouch button. Pressing the crouch while running will cause a spin attack, and doing it while standingrevs spindash. I will also be using the homing attack, but it won't be quite as god status as it is now. I want players to think more about how they attack, and the way to do this would be through enemy design. Examples include: Enemies with armour around their upper body that require a lower attack to hit, with rotating armour with an open side, with mutltiple body parts, only one of which is safe to touch. etc.

CHARACTERS (ooooh snap)

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Blaze. All characters have one unique ability to set apart how they explore the levels. The end.

CHAO

omg, Chaochaochaochaochao chao. If I could, there would be chao.

Looking over it... it's not much of a 'reboot.' More like a 'here's how I would do it' boot. XD

Edited by Chaos Walker
  • Thumbs Up 2