Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog Fanfiction

Silvereclipse

I once saw a Sonic/Bioshock crossover. I didn't give fan fiction another chance.

How ironic. I wrote a short story once involving Shadow and the ghost of Andrew Ryan.

Fanfiction, eh? Like Dio said, 90% of everything is crud. I'm a fanfic author myself, my focus is primarilly on crossovers. From experience, the less original characters you have in a plot, the story tends to be more popular. My most popular stories to date are my mega-crossover Chaos Combination and my most recent Mega Man-based work Generations Collide (which I hadn't updated in ages until yesterday and it was still getting reviews!).

However, I'm not one to search around for fanfics, since the good stuff is buried under heaps of crap. But this list is a VERY good place to start. Here are some of my favourites:

- Order in the Court (A Phoenix Wright/Bleach crossover, brilliantly written and at times absolutely hilarious.)

- Invert (FMA/Harry Potter. Think an alternate version of Deathy Hallows with Ed and Al involved. One of the best parts is

Ed kicking VOLDEMORT in the balls.

)

- The Land Before Time: The Mysterious World (Yes, it's an LBT fic, but God DAMN, it's better than the movie sequels, though not quite perfect.)

Also, Gordo, I understand your gripes about how some people handle Eggman. Thankfully, I'm not one of those people. In fact, it's a lot more fun to explore his more "human" side.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flyboy Fox

• Dr. Mechano

• SuperStingray

• Badnik Mechanic

Also, Gordo, I understand your gripes about how some people handle Eggman. Thankfully, I'm not one of those people. In fact, it's a lot more fun to explore his more "human" side.

Oho? Interesting.

I'm intrigued. I'd like to see some of your work, actually.

Oho? Interesting.

I'm intrigued. I'd like to see some of your work, actually.

Well, my crossover-based nature for my works limits my ability to focus on Eggman, but still. Somehow, in the one work I did feature Eggman in (Chaos Combination), I ended up having him collaborate with Eggman on a Metal Sonic MK III whose personality is child-like, and he thinks of like a son, and even turns a new leaf early on - Eggman Nega is essentially his villainous replacement, who is, though polite, rotten to the core. I've been working on that story for years... Now that I check, I started it back in 2005. Damn. In fact, I should really update it sometime.

But sometime, if I write a more focused story, I could devote more attention to him. He's such an interesting character to work with.

Edited by Soma Cruz

I've been planning a Mario and Sonic crossover for the longest time, if only because Eggman interacting with Wario and Waluigi is something I want to see.

Too late my dear friend. I am currently writing a fic about this. ;P

But yes. As a writer, I want to make my stories different. I want to achieve and strive to high-quality standards and I want to stand out from the other boring, unimaginative fanfictions. I want people to step back and say "Hey! This is great!"

My goal is to throw all of the boring cliches out of the window. Like with my first Robotnik romance fiction, I pared the high class Agent Topaz with the mad scientist, and yes, while the end result was (almost) left to your imagination there was a different feel to it overall instead of "Let's put two people in a room and BOOM they'll fuck". Why is the biggest question. How? What did they do to get up to this point? (BTW, Topaz used Robotnik and slept with him to gain access to the Emerald in fear of what he would do with it. Another point was out of "pity".)

I want my fictions to be interesting and articulate because it annoys me to no end to run across thousands of bad fics, especially ones that portray Robotnik romance as to be a joke or nonexistent. Has anyone seen the Mario listing lately under FF.net? Godawful. Mario used to boast some of the most well crafted and thought through plots of the mascot genre, but now has been reduced to the driveling puddle that the Sonic page has become today.

I am also sick of these "random humour stories" and "X character goes to X/does X". Some were pretty imaginative and inanely crafted in their birth, but now they have became a waste of bandwidth.

Yes, while my current work is more comedy based (that Robotnik/ Waluigi fic) I am not ashamed to announce it is Yaoi.

But not just your run of-the-mill yaoi. I constantly have Waluigi and Robotnik clash in wit and mind, building up walls and breaking them down, giving each other the run around, and winding themselves up on the whim of the other man's insults as they test each other and push buttons (Poor Wario is left stuck in the middle between the two "warring" parties of sarcasm and cutting intrigue, but he enjoys the entertainment.) And guess what? I actually study the characters and their actions, unlike most stories that I have the chance to grace my eyes on. The worst thing to do to your story is to fail to gauge how they would react to a certain situation and process. You need to know your character(s) before you jump into anything involving them.

Over half? 99% of it, more likely.

Mary Sues and Gary Stues exist everywhere, but yeah, the Sonic fanfics have a hell lot of them (hell, recolours in deviantart are everywhere). I've only seen something like this in the Pokemon (which I left years ago so I wouldn't know) and the Harry Potter one (filled with Harry's twins, annoying superpowered Sirius/Remus lost girlfriend). I'm not against deviation from canon (actually, I'm still in the HP fandom because of deviations from canon) but the characters are all OOC as well most of the time (worst offenders, Sonic and Eggman). It's hard to find good Sonic fanfiction, but there are some.

The Sonic liking Amy out of the blue is annoying, because it's never done right. If someone insists in that theory, and I'm guilty as charged, then they should come up with reasons why he's so adamant in not giving her the time of the day. I've read a lot of them and I think only one or two made it right. Amy getting paired with anybody else is annoying too because it's always useless or the rebound (Shadow, poor Shadow). The Amy nutcase can go awfully wrong or be wonderfully hillarious. I've only seen once done right and I don't remember where I saw it anymore. I've seen a few where Shadow is done right, a couple of them involved Amy, but they're rare. A lesbian one which was cool, I found one once, and I'm not a lover of that. It was mostly a crap pairing but it was hillarious done.

I never really understood that concept of rivals/bickering couple have to have sexual tension, neither do I understand the 'best friends means lovers' and 'opposites atract' or 'equals should be together' strike me as cliché and not believable. I think real life is filled with one and the other, but it's also filled with healthy and sane cases besides these. Nothing annoys me tha stupid bickering (witty, I might like) or kiss slap slap (or slap slap kiss).

It's a matter of writing capability. Everything will fit if the author knows what they're doing.

For all I know, game adaptations tend to be nice.

I've written a few, most of which try to capture the original feeling of the universe, while focusing on Eggman's point of view.

Could you provide a link by pm? I like good Eggman fanfiction.

Could you provide a link by pm? I like good Eggman fanfiction.

Done.

Also, Kintobor, I'm rather interested in seeing your Eggman stories as well. Both sound intriguing in their own way.

I think the main issue with fanfiction is that the widely distributed kind is a rather disgraceful example of the fandom. However, I've personally tried writing Sonic fanfiction simply to have my own take on the storyline, but decided that the tone was far to serious and heavy for anything Sonic. Some of the things I want most to see from a serious Sonic storyline are the following:

A:) Character Development

B:) Consistency in Timeline/Plot

C:) Character Specific:

-- Robotnik as a dangerous villain

-- Tikal as a representative of the emeralds

My first attempt at fanfiction was to be a retelling of the major parts to each conflict from Sonic 1 to Sonic Adventure, but it ended up too heavy and dark. Besides that, the plot seemed to become suddenly very confused the minute I introduced the emeralds, likely because I was trying too hard to fit pieces from each conflict in. I'd like to give it another go, but I'd rather work on a more promising premise, such as my unfinished fanfiction taking place in the Middle-earth universe around the time of the halfling's migration.

My second attempt at the matter was in the form of an RPG. There were several things that I was quite proud of myself over though it is likely nobody else took notice. First, I once again elevated Tikal's position in the story, and the plot involved her appearing to certain characters to help prepare them to protect the emeralds and the ancient powers involved. I also retconned some of the plot holes without taking too many liberties, and Rouge acquired the character of the thief that you can neither trust nor afford to not trust.

Of course, being an RPG, I often repeated various statements quite by accident which is bad practice for storytelling, and some of the liberties I took may not be so popular, most notably the fact that Espio has the role of a pseudo-villain.

Essentially however, based on my own attempts, I can say that it is very difficult to make competent fan-fiction that is not either an injection of your own characters into the Sonic storyline, or over-wrought. This is largely because it is a universe that already exists to some extent, therefore any treatment to it is going to be limited by the source material.

Half? Consider yourself lucky, because when it comes to fanfiction, Sturgeon's Law is in full effect.

Really, that law says everything that needs to be said. 90% of Sonic fanfiction is crud. 90% of everything is crud. And with the internet letting anyone say anything, we're usually inundated by that 90%, with that good 10% getting buried underneath it.

I hold this belief: where is the fun in finding a good game/ fanfic/ whatever when you can just pluck it out of the blue? Sometimes, you have to wade through pools of shit to find a glimmering diamond... And call me sadistic, but I find searching through crap a rather fun task (as long as I don't have to spend any money on it; Sonic Unleashed was a costly, turdish dissapointment)!

Sonic fanfiction can be incredibly entertaining, if kept in-character and typed by someone who knows what they're doing and knows the series well. Adaptations and continuations are especially nice, if they're good. They provide potential to add a whole new level of depth to the already existing series... but they're hard to find.

I hold this belief: where is the fun in finding a good game/ fanfic/ whatever when you can just pluck it out of the blue? Sometimes, you have to wade through pools of shit to find a glimmering diamond... And call me sadistic, but I find searching through crap a rather fun task (as long as I don't have to spend any money on it; Sonic Unleashed was a costly, turdish dissapointment)!

This for me symbolises exactly the reason why I do and don't understand why this topic exists...

I don'y understand it because... Does that, or does that not apply to any form of fan creation?

Fan games are shit except for around 2 which are still to be finished.

Fan art.... christ... the bulk of that is either a recolour, a sonic character standing in front of a white background posing... or a fan character (not sonic related art at all).

The only difference between all of them and fan fiction would be this. And this is the reason why I understand why the topic exists.

With fan art, theres a means to filter out all the crap, you can just randomly search, but you can set parameters and find good work.

With fan games, the people who showcase the stuff and go on about it are low and behold people who actually have talent at it. So of course they're only ever going to showcase the really really good stuff, and even then what else exists that people look at and think... that looks good... but that bit is really really rubbish?

Fan fiction however has a very very big problem. The majority of it is hosted at that joke of a site called fanfiction.net... unless it's changed, the site only hosts/promotes things based on when it was published. There is no rating system, only un-moderated reviews.

Whilst it's a fair system, it does mean that anything that even shows the smallest glimmer ot talent will be lost in a sea of garbage. With this system in place, ask anyone to look at the titles of the first few pages of the site... it's a joke, with no way to filter out the junk and no way to review them with someone who has even a remote possibility of having half a brain cell. You're never going to get any 'good' feedback.

Example... I once had a fiction on there called "Power of the ancients" this is what one reviewer said...

"I don't think you should name it Power of the Ancients... people could get confused thinking it's a Powerstone cross over..."

I told him that those people would probably be very thick and beyond help.

Edited by Casanova