Awoo.

Lets talk Sonic The Movie. Your thoughts

SABRINA

Now that I have it on DVD (the one with the dark blue cover, which is apparently rare now)

I HAVE THAT ONE!!!

Catch your Tails,

Scrape your Knuckles!

I have been a massive sonic fan all of my life, and one day when at a MYER store (i was probably about 5 or 6) I saw it on DVD... I was like OMG LOOK LOOK LOOK!!!

then i bought it and loved it ever since xD

Same. Exept it was at Tesco, and I was about 5.

I'm a big fan of the get-away-with-anything japanese humor in the movie, and I like that the dub actually kept it in which you barely ever see in shows like this. I'm also a big fan of the theme song which is criminally catchy. It's one of those movies that I remember practically nothing about the plot sadly, but it's still fun to watch for the aforementioned humor and having great characters like the Old Man Owl (who was always pretty popular with THE LAADIEES!) and of course Sonic and Tails; who have a great bickering relationship throughout.

THE LADDIIIEEEESS! :D

Yeah. the robotnik on that one really rocked. he also said my fav. line on there

"Rock a bye robot on the eggman"

..That.

Was.

Epic.

Though I always thought it was "Rock a bye robot on the egg top".

I want to see the return of Knuckles hat! lol

post-509-1236523174_thumb.png

YES THE HAT. :D

I got a copy of the VHS when I baught Sonic Advance, special two for one offer at Target. Havent watched it on the tape, but have got an electronic copy.

Thoughts:

Eggman - Excellent. I know alot of people bag him for not being evil enough. But this is as evil as I think he needs to get.

Sonic & Knuckles- Voice is a little off (Just because I'm not used to it) but it suits.

Tails - The only voice I wasnt very keen on..

I didnt like the idea of a human being the one rescued by sonic though..that troubled me....

The animation was perfect, and I can only hope something of the same quality will be released again..

I really liked the movie. It's a shame, that the drawingstyle wasn't used again. It was so cute. =D

The voices were fine to me. But it took a while till I got used to them. And Knuckles hat was awesome. XD It needs to return.

I liked the movie too. The drawingstyle of Sonic was nice, but lets not talk about Sara...

And bring back Knuckles hat!

hahahahaha, GIANT EXPLOSION!

man that vid of the sonic movie was funny. Should check out the robotnik penis song aswell and tea party, they're classics

I liked the movie too. The drawingstyle of Sonic was nice, but lets not talk about Sara...

And bring back Knuckles hat!

Yes, I actually liked the Sonic CD Drawing Style too.

But why Sara-chan? D: C'mon, she's just only a plot device (cough) with a 90ies neko-ears style after all

Loved it. The voices were too different, but in a good way. All the other times where Sonic had a higher-pitched voice made him sound like a kid, but it strangely fit in the OVA. The only voice I really hated was Metal Sonic's; he sounded so much better in Heroes (shockingly).

Usually I hate humans in Sonic media (save Eggman and Maria), but I liked Sara; she reminds me of me. I could care less about the President.

Now, my little question is: What is the name of that song at the beginning, right after the title was shown? It's so familiar, plus I love it. Anyone know the name?

EDIT: Love the Knuckles hat. Bring it back.

Edited by Roo

But why Sara-chan? D: C'mon, she's just only a plot device (cough) with a 90ies neko-ears style after all

Her eyes freak me out :blink:

Sonic: The Movie is simply amazing. I got the movie soon after Sonic Adventure was released (but long before I owned a Dreamcast myself), and have watched it somewhere in the range of 50-100 times. Great animation, fun storyline, and GREAT characters.

Let me be the first (and the only person) to say that Ryan Drummond, Jason Griffith, and yes, even Jaleel White, can all suck Martin Burke's dick. He is the best voice actor for Sonic, in my honest opinion. It's such an over the top performance, but it works so well. No other Sonic voice actor can copy his "SHUT UP TAILS!" and "STRANGE, ISN'T IT?!" lines with anything near the skill and quality he had. It fits Sonic perfectly, managing to be both humorous and heroic at the same time.

And the other voice actors? Eggman is also perfect, but then again he's always had great voice actors so it's hard to choose the best. Knux's Sonic Adventure 1&2 voice trumps the Knuckles in this movie, but the "HELP! MY HEAD IS ONE FIRE!" line is a classic. Tails is at the very least better than his last two voice actors (the one in 'Heroes' and the woman from 4Kids), and also fun to listen to.

This is the single funniest peice of official Sonic related material ever produced. And that's saying something, considering how funny Eggman has been lately.

Oh, and Sonic Bastardized is the best video series ever made. Go Fireball 20xl!

I thought Martin Burke sounded good but something about him just didn't feel right to me. He seems to shift from American to British to Irish accents a lot. I would have liked it a lot better if he just stuck with one.

Usually I hate humans in Sonic media (save Eggman and Maria), but I liked Sara; she reminds me of me. I could care less about the President.

There's just no love for Gerald or Nega.

And aw, but the President was such a lovable big oaf. He's my favorite take on the "President" character across Sonic media(Compared to the one in the games or the one in Sonic X), as he just seems to have a cartoony charm that they lacked.

There's just no love for Gerald or Nega.

Right here. Some of us love the Glorious Age of Fear and Chaos!

But anyway. Sonic Movie. I watched it for the first time about 4 months ago, despite having been into the Sonic series from the beginning.

It was like going back in time. With added hats! That grimy, but enormous machine-city of Robotropolis is absolutely perfect for Eggman, and the music was brilliant. Sonic living in a moss-covered Boeing-747 wreck was a wintastic touch, too.

The best part of it all was that I saw clips of the movie in Sonic Jam on my Saturn a decade ago, and never knew where they were from. But now the jigsaw piece has fallen into place!

As a kid, I absolutely loved this movie. I watched it several times! And now I come back to it... It's still freaking awesome. It's not Mobius or Earth, but it's more Sonic-y than anything that's come before or after it. It's the best Sonic animation hands-down. Even the voices I don't mind.

I thought it was a pretty decent cartoon, that managed to catch the essence of Sonic the Hedgehog unlike some other cartoons based on the blue blue. His attitude and show off personality really made this movie for me, the voice was a bit bleh but other than that it was great. If they made a cartoon based on this miniature movie it would be a hit in my opinion. Of course you don't see good cartoons like this anymore unless they have some kind of a sappy moral.

The animation was done by TMS which worked on not only the cut scenes for Sonic CD, but also worked on Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Inspector Gadget, and even AOSTH (look here for a more complete list http://www.imdb.com/company/co0064579/), also Tezuka Productions contributed to the animation.

Yuji Naka as well as Sonic Team were also involved (so I personally consider this part of the canon even if the story line doesn't match up with the main Sonic series).

For those that are complaining about the voice acting, just turn on the Japanese dialog and English subtitles like you would in the games (that is if you have the DVD version).

Below are a few clips I gathered from my copy of the DVD version, including one I'm sure Eggman/Robotnik fans will love (or hate).

SONIC_THE_HEDGHOG_0.bmp

SONIC_THE_HEDGHOG_1.bmp

post-178-1237244650_thumb.png

I thought it was pretty good. I just love the battle between Metal and Sonic. The voice acting was okay, but it just sounded so weird to me when I saw the movie for the first time. I was so use to the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog voice acting and listening to Tails, he sounded like he had a cold.

Edited by stl

The animation was done by TMS which worked on not only the cut scenes for Sonic CD, but also worked on Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Inspector Gadget, and even AOSTH (look here for a more complete list http://www.imdb.com/company/co0064579/), also Tezuka Productions contributed to the animation.

Sonic CD was done by Toei (Dragon Ball, One Piece, Ojamajo Doremi); the OVA was animated by Studio Pierrot (Naruto, Bleach). I'm surprised at the widespread misconception that Sonic CD and the OVA had anything to do with each other - they don't even look remotely similar in art style. The OVA is not nearly as fluid or detailed in animation, etc.

Sonic CD was done by Toei (Dragon Ball, One Piece, Ojamajo Doremi); the OVA was animated by Studio Pierrot (Naruto, Bleach). I'm surprised at the widespread misconception that Sonic CD and the OVA had anything to do with each other - they don't even look remotely similar in art style. The OVA is not nearly as fluid or detailed in animation, etc.

My mistake, I guess I fell victim to that misconception.

Well it's not just you - people have been proclaiming that the two animations were done by the same company since the beginning of time, for some odd reason. Who knows how it originated.

Well it's not just you - people have been proclaiming that the two animations were done by the same company since the beginning of time, for some odd reason. Who knows how it originated.

Out of curiosity, which company did Man of the Year. I originally thought it was TMS also, but now I'm beginning to think that was a misconception as well.

I think I once heard ChibiGoku (member of the community who has a penchant for digging up obscure information about Sonic animation) claim it was by TMS. I don't know - and I doubt - whether Sonic Jam has credits for that animation anywhere in the game, so I'm not really sure.

Edited by Jake